Fordham 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rockthelaw

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Postby rockthelaw » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:49 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
rockthelaw wrote: and being able to go for a second library session at 9 p.m. on certain nights.

*cough* gunner *cough*

:lol: :lol: He is so going to pwn my butt, when grades come out. How I love the Sqvirrel.
(Also, he is Best Study Buddy evah! No slacking!)

Oy. Moratorium on talking about grades until grades actually come out! And HEP, who was the fella at the library in the same spot every weekend for countless hours? Hm? I'll give you a hint - he looked like Superman and thinks he's pretty funny on these forums.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:50 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Lol well it looks like if I end up at Fordham, I'll be looking at apts close to Fordham but perhaps not McMann hall.

Regardless I'd like to know what size beds fit in the room? I feel really icky about sleeping on a strange mattress.

You can't bring any of your own furniture. You get the standard college mattress - the double full. Mine was quite "springy." If I were you, I'd bring a mattress pad.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:51 pm

rockthelaw wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
rockthelaw wrote: and being able to go for a second library session at 9 p.m. on certain nights.

*cough* gunner *cough*

:lol: :lol: He is so going to pwn my butt, when grades come out. How I love the Sqvirrel.
(Also, he is Best Study Buddy evah! No slacking!)

Oy. Moratorium on talking about grades until grades actually come out! And HEP, who was the fella at the library in the same spot every weekend for countless hours? Hm? I'll give you a hint - he looked like Superman and thinks he's pretty funny on these forums.

you're not wrong, sir.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:53 pm

HAHAHAH - I love how we just hijacked the thread into our own little chat room.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:56 pm

that's how we roll

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:02 pm

Talk about gunners, lol... I was at the info session the day after finals ended and there were people in the library! Seriously lol.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Talk about gunners, lol... I was at the info session the day after finals ended and there were people in the library! Seriously lol.

Suckers!

rock i'll see you there later tonight!

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:11 pm

The guest policy is the worst aspect of the dorm. If you want to have an overnight guest, you must register them 24 hours in advance. If that guest is planning to stay for more than 2 nights, you must register them a week in advance AND get your roommates to sign off on the visit. Overnight means staying in the dorm past 3 a.m. So, if you bring someone back to the dorm unannounced, they can stay until 3 a.m. If they leave after 3 a.m., you get fined. How do they know your guest left after 3 a.m.? Because they have to sign in and out. And trust me, they make you sign your guests in and out.

hahaha

sounds a little too much like college. are there RAs?

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:19 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
The guest policy is the worst aspect of the dorm. If you want to have an overnight guest, you must register them 24 hours in advance. If that guest is planning to stay for more than 2 nights, you must register them a week in advance AND get your roommates to sign off on the visit. Overnight means staying in the dorm past 3 a.m. So, if you bring someone back to the dorm unannounced, they can stay until 3 a.m. If they leave after 3 a.m., you get fined. How do they know your guest left after 3 a.m.? Because they have to sign in and out. And trust me, they make you sign your guests in and out.

hahaha

Yes, there are RAs. My RA actually tried to have individual "interviews" with everyone on the floor to "get to know us." Somehow I got out of mine.

Oh, one other thing: They do try to separate law students from undergrads, especially freshmen. You will, however, still see really drunk 18 year old kids running around on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, though not on your hall (downstairs on your way back from the library, or your early evening at the bar). Also, because the undergrad has a strong dance and acting program, you will see lots of tight jeans, hipsters, and more hipsters. It can be ridiculous. The absolute worst thing you'll experience is undergrads talking about how hard their classes are. One example: "Oh. My. God. Can you believe that our professor is making us write a 2 page paper? It's like, so unfair. And it's going to be soo hard to write it. Like, I might not get to go to Josie's Thursday night TV-watching party. My life is like, so unfair right now."

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Yes, there are RAs. My RA actually tried to have individual "interviews" with everyone on the floor to "get to know us." Somehow I got out of mine.

Oh, one other thing: They do try to separate law students from undergrads, especially freshmen. You will, however, still see really drunk 18 year old kids running around on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights, though not on your hall (downstairs on your way back from the library, or your early evening at the bar). Also, because the undergrad has a strong dance and acting program, you will see lots of tight jeans, hipsters, and more hipsters. It can be ridiculous. The absolute worst thing you'll experience is undergrads talking about how hard their classes are. One example: "Oh. My. God. Can you believe that our professor is making us write a 2 page paper? It's like, so unfair. And it's going to be soo hard to write it. Like, I might not get to go to Josie's Thursday night TV-watching party. My life is like, so unfair right now."

haha is this for real? How is it that I can never find these retards?

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:25 pm

rockthelaw wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

hahaha

It was def frustrating going to the bookstore on the undergrad side during finals and seeing how relaxed they were, meanwhile I'm buying stock in Just For Men because my hair is getting so gray

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:42 pm

My RA actually tried to have individual "interviews" with everyone on the floor to "get to know us." Somehow I got out of mine.

nicely done

2011Cycle

Postby 2011Cycle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:49 am

Are practice exams for 1L courses readily available in the library, directly from professors, or other sources? Thanks

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:57 am

2011Cycle wrote:Are practice exams for 1L courses readily available in the library, directly from professors, or other sources? Thanks

Yes, they are available from both the professors and in the library. Some make more available than others. My crim professor had every exam he'd ever given on the blackboard site, my contracts professor had about 5-6 finals / midterms.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:08 am

2011Cycle wrote:Are practice exams for 1L courses readily available in the library, directly from professors, or other sources? Thanks

What HEP said, but be warned: If you end up having two visiting professors your first semester (like I did!), then practice exams by that specific professor might be harder to come by. Also, the best practice exams to study from are the ones with model answers or good student answers. Generally, though, if you ask your professors for previous exams, they will likely give them to you. They can post them online, or in the library, or they might just email them to the class.

I did have one professor who never gave us an actual previous exam. He gave us "practice problems" without answers that we could work through. They didn't read like problems that the professor would give, but it is possible that he wrote them. He assured us his final was very similar to these problems. His final was not like those problems at all (it was much more open-ended, the fact patterns were nearly twice as long, and there were no specific questions to answer. Instead, the question was - analyze the situation for liability.). So, beware the professor who refuses to give you a previous exam, and be ready for anything.

The other two professors who provided practice exams for us wrote very similar final exams. This is generally how it works.

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:20 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:

haha is this for real? How is it that I can never find these retards?

Yeah, this is for real. Although the conversations you overhear in the law library are no better: "Oh man, I've been here from 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. everyday for the past 2 weeks, bro. Yeah, that's right. I see the other kids from our section come in and study for like, 6 hours and then leave. Pssh. I'm outworking them all, bro. I'm gonna wreck them on the final."

Or even worse is the conversations that you don't overhear, but see people sending back and forth through Gchat during classes. I won't get into specifics, but let's just say some people would rather spend class time gossiping about who's making out with who, how much they haven't slept but also haven't been studying (one specific: "I stared at my casebook for like, 2 hours last night, and then just gave up and used it as a pillow."), or how much they hate the professor. Yes, law school is basically high school.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:24 am

I agree with everything the Boyz said. My experience was very similar to H.E.P.'s (in fact, we had the same Crim prof - who not only put all of his previous exams on Blackboard, but also sample answers): availability seems to vary, by professor. For the class where few exams were readily available, my friends and I asked 2Ls (who were very generous!) and scoured exam banks; we found tons of stuff that way.

And yes, Law School is like High School in a myriad of ways.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:29 am

rockthelaw wrote:Yeah, this is for real. Although the conversations you overhear in the law library are no better: "Oh man, I've been here from 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. everyday for the past 2 weeks, bro. Yeah, that's right. I see the other kids from our section come in and study for like, 6 hours and then leave. Pssh. I'm outworking them all, bro. I'm gonna wreck them on the final."

I told you that in confidence!

I'm actually considering not bringing a computer to class next semester and seeing how that works out. I was pretty good at not goofing off on the internet early in the semester, but I'm only human...

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:01 am

if people say "bro" that much at fordham and aren't being sarcastic then COUNT ME OUT

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:17 am

Stringer6 wrote:if people say "bro" that much at fordham and aren't being sarcastic then COUNT ME OUT

Lol -
it's ubiquitous - I have checked with friends at other schools, across the country. "Bro-speak" is sweeping the nation.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:23 am

Speaking of laptops... if I want access to the internet from within the Fordham law building, will it be available to me? And will it be available to me for free? :mrgreen:

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:48 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Speaking of laptops... if I want access to the internet from within the Fordham law building, will it be available to me? And will it be available to me for free? :mrgreen:

Yes the law building has wi-fi, you just need your username / password to log in about once a week or so.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:52 am

Stringer6 wrote:if people say "bro" that much at fordham and aren't being sarcastic then COUNT ME OUT

This was in my orientation packet, hth

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:54 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:

This was in my orientation packet, hth

:D

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:55 am

Oh man, I'm at work... can't see that.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”