Fordham 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nygrrrl

Gold

Re: Fordham 1L Taking Questions

Post by nygrrrl » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:04 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:if people say "bro" that much at fordham and aren't being sarcastic then COUNT ME OUT
This was in my orientation packet, hth

DAMMIT! I didn't get an enhanced CD!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:48 am

nematoad wrote:Hey all, thank you for this! I'm a Californian, and I while i know going to school in nyc isnt the best idea for making my way back west, i was wondering if any of you could speak to fordham's placement in los angeles. In one of the pamphlets they sent out to admitted students they mentioned their strong ties to LA. do any of you have an opinion about the reality of this?

Bumping this question because no one answered....anyone?

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:04 am

Gotti wrote:
nematoad wrote:Hey all, thank you for this! I'm a Californian, and I while i know going to school in nyc isnt the best idea for making my way back west, i was wondering if any of you could speak to fordham's placement in los angeles. In one of the pamphlets they sent out to admitted students they mentioned their strong ties to LA. do any of you have an opinion about the reality of this?

I believe all the current Fordham students in this thread are native NYers who all plan on working in NY. I know of some people from CA, but I don't know whether they plan on going back or not. I will ask around once classes start up in 2 weeks.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:22 am

Gotti wrote:

According to NALP, there were 42 California employers that did OCI at Fordham last year. Keep in mind that each office of a firm counts as a separate employer, so Bryan Cave Irvine, San Francisco, and LA count as 3 and Gibson Dunn is 6.
There are 15 different firms, and I recognize 8 of them off the top of my head (which means they're huge...the other 7 may be huge as well).

...This makes me want to go to Fordham. But I reallly don't want to go $200k+ in debt. Hmm.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:30 am

Gotti wrote:

One of my close friends in class is from LA - I believe his plan is to go back to CA so I'll ask him about this and get back to you with his impressions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks guys. I honestly have no idea where I want to end up after law school. One of my best friends went to NYU for UG from CA (the bay, specifically) and now never wants to come back. I'm guessing I'll fall in love with NYC reeaaaallllyyy quickly (even though I already am, but living there is a different experience) and not want to come back, but just in case I do, it'd be nice to know that I have a chance in CA. So many people out here haven't even heard of Fordham (maybe it's because they aren't going to LS?) so I was kinda getting worried.

I would really prefer either law firms in the Silicon Valley, which is where I'm from, but I'm open to LA. As long as it's not too much in the suburbs lol. I live in Irvine right now and went to UC Irvine for UG and absolutely despise living here. I'm just here after graduation because I have a job and a boyfriend from around here.

Anyway, if you guys could ask your CA friends, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for being so helpful on this thread/other Fordham threads. The information is really useful! :)

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Gotti wrote:
Anyway, if you guys could ask your CA friends, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for being so helpful on this thread/other Fordham threads. The information is really useful! :)
you guys are awesome, thanks for lending a hand... makes fordham look mighty nice.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Unfortunately, I still don't have much concrete info for you. I spoke to my 1L friend (from LA) who had the following input:

"...in terms of the big firms, there is fluidity between major offices. I hope to get a summer 2L position at a big firm in NY and then an associate position out in Cali after school..." He also says he knows at least one Fordham grad working (very) big law in LA and he feels the alumni association is strong, out there. (But didn't have any hiring stats/etc.)

I'll keep working on this...

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:53 pm

nematoad wrote:
Gotti wrote:
you guys are awesome, thanks for lending a hand... makes fordham look mighty nice.
Happy to help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:18 pm

For any current students that probably have more insight into job prospects and the importance of debt than I do...

I want to practice public interest law in NYC. I got no scholarship money and Fordham and a full tuition scholarship at Cardozo. Would it make sense to pass up a full ride in order to go to Fordham?

Does anyone know if I could use a full ride at 'dozo to negotiate for more money at Fordham?

Thanks everyone!

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:40 pm

IsleMet wrote:For any current students that probably have more insight into job prospects and the importance of debt than I do...

I want to practice public interest law in NYC. I got no scholarship money and Fordham and a full tuition scholarship at Cardozo. Would it make sense to pass up a full ride in order to go to Fordham?

Does anyone know if I could use a full ride at 'dozo to negotiate for more money at Fordham?

Thanks everyone!
A full-ride anywhere is tough to pass up, no matter what you want to do. In my opinion, if you are dead-set on PI, then take the money and run! PI does not pay enough to make it worth it to pay sticker at an expensive school like Fordham. Cardozo also has a very good rep in NY so if you end up changing your mind, you still have a degree from a good school and zero debt.

It wouldn't hurt to call admissions and tell them about the scholly at Cardozo, maybe they can get you something. What do you have to lose?

peter844

New

Post by peter844 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:44 pm

how difficult it is to transfer from a part time program to a full time program within your school/ does it happen often?

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:47 pm

peter844 wrote:how difficult it is to transfer from a part time program to a full time program within your school/ does it happen often?
It happens quite often, all you need to do is fill out a form in the spring and take 2 classes over the summer to make up the difference in credits.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

peter844

New

Post by peter844 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:50 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
peter844 wrote:how difficult it is to transfer from a part time program to a full time program within your school/ does it happen often?
It happens quiet often, all you need to do is fill out a form in the spring and take 2 classes over the summer to make up the difference in credits.
Thank you. Also, would it significantly jeopardize internship opportunities? And would it negatively affect future employment (in other words would large law firms view the temporary pt program as a 1L unfavorably?)

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:56 pm

peter844 wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
It happens quiet often, all you need to do is fill out a form in the spring and take 2 classes over the summer to make up the difference in credits.
Thank you. Also, would it significantly jeopardize internship opportunities? And would it negatively affect future employment (in other words would large law firms view the temporary pt program as a 1L unfavorably?)
That I can't speak to, but I'm guessing no. If you have the grades, you have the grades. It probably looks better if you are actually working during that time, as that is what the program is designed for, but there are people who don't. If your goal is to get into the best law school you can, and this is how you did it, and you still managed to do well there, I really don't see it being an issue. To be honest, I'm not even sure how obvious it is on your transcript (it may be very obvious, i really don't know).

peter844

New

Post by peter844 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:04 pm

Okay thanks again.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:19 am

A full-ride anywhere is tough to pass up, no matter what you want to do. In my opinion, if you are dead-set on PI, then take the money and run! PI does not pay enough to make it worth it to pay sticker at an expensive school like Fordham. Cardozo also has a very good rep in NY so if you end up changing your mind, you still have a degree from a good school and zero debt.

It wouldn't hurt to call admissions and tell them about the scholly at Cardozo, maybe they can get you something. What do you have to lose?
in this same scenario, would you recommend fordham if your goal is biglaw?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:33 am

Stringer6 wrote:

Well that's a trickier question. There was someone last year who was in a similar situation last year and ended up choosing Fordham. Let me send them a PM and see if I can get them to answer this for you.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 am

Well that's a trickier question. There was someone last year who was in a similar situation last year and ended up choosing Fordham. Let me send them a PM and see if I can get them to answer this for you.
yea. i think i'll end up with less than a full scholarship at cardozo, so maybe the decision isn't as difficult for me.

thanks.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Any1 gotten grades back? This wait is killing me!

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:36 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

Here I am! I passed up a no-strings full ride at Cardozo for 25k/year at Fordham. My goal (pre-grades, anyway) is biglaw. I spoke with a few partners at big firms and they said Fordham for biglaw, without a doubt. If I had been set on PI and/or received no scholarship money from Fordham, my decision would have been much more difficult. I doubt I would have chosen Fordham at sticker- it was the scholarship money that pushed me over the edge. I love it so far and have no regrets.

I would definitely recommend calling the admissions office to set up a meeting with an officer. I did that before I got my decision and told them where I'd been accepted and about the Cardozo offer. That may very well have helped with my Fordham scholarship offer.

Good luck and feel free to message me with any questions!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 pm

How's the social life at Fordham? Do students regularly spend time with each other outside of class?

I'm moving from TX, never been to NYC nor do I know anyone who lives there...anyone there now with a similar experience?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:29 am

jwmalone87 wrote:How's the social life at Fordham? Do students regularly spend time with each other outside of class?

I'm moving from TX, never been to NYC nor do I know anyone who lives there...anyone there now with a similar experience?
I've found the social life to be great but given that I've lived in NYC for 20 years and have a job and family (!), I may not be the right Fordhamster to talk about this. :lol:
Seriously, I think it's what you make it. I have friends who rarely go out and friends who are social butterflies. Bar Review is always popular and I definitely see my friends, outside of school... but I think Rocky and H.E.P. should weigh in on this one. :D

H. E. Pennypacker

Silver

Post by H. E. Pennypacker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:46 am

nygrrrl wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:How's the social life at Fordham? Do students regularly spend time with each other outside of class?

I've found the social life to be great but given that I've lived in NYC for 20 years and have a job and family (!), I may not be the right Fordhamster to talk about this. :lol:
Seriously, I think it's what you make it. I have friends who rarely go out and friends who are social butterflies. Bar Review is always popular and I definitely see my friends, outside of school... but I think Rocky and H.E.P. should weigh in on this one. :D
I've lived in NY my whole life (though slightly further north than NYC) but I knew a bunch of college and high school friends when I moved down here, so I can't comment on that. However, nygrrrl is correct; there are those who go out all the time and those who rarely do. I'd say I fell moreso in the latter category, but I made it to a handful of bar reviews. Being a PT student, after work and class I was generally pretty wiped out, but there were a few times I made the exception. A few of us have hung out a bunch of times since classes ended, as well. You can def find a group of people to match your social expectations.

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:27 am

hannah87 wrote:
H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

Here I am! I passed up a no-strings full ride at Cardozo for 25k/year at Fordham. My goal (pre-grades, anyway) is biglaw. I spoke with a few partners at big firms and they said Fordham for biglaw, without a doubt. If I had been set on PI and/or received no scholarship money from Fordham, my decision would have been much more difficult. I doubt I would have chosen Fordham at sticker- it was the scholarship money that pushed me over the edge. I love it so far and have no regrets.

I would definitely recommend calling the admissions office to set up a meeting with an officer. I did that before I got my decision and told them where I'd been accepted and about the Cardozo offer. That may very well have helped with my Fordham scholarship offer.

Good luck and feel free to message me with any questions!
Hi! Thanks for answering questions!

Would you recommend sitting down with an admissions officer before I hear back from other schools? I was thinking that maybe I should wait until I hear back from schools like BC/BU/Brooklyn/Cornell. I've heard that scholarship money comes with the initial acceptance which I received 3 weeks ago, so I'm assuming that I'm not getting money.

I'm in with full tuition at Cardozo, but I'd really like to be at Fordham. If i comes down to Fordham sticker vs. Cardozo free...I can't do the 200k debt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”