Cardozo 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Cardozo 1L taking questions

Postby slapshot01j » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:50 pm

1+ month in, if i can be of help to anyone, ask away.

(And yes, I know Cardozo gets hit tough on these boards. So please keep sarcastic questions such as "what is wrong with you?" to yourself. I hate to begin on a harsh note, but I know how things often work here.) Let's keep it constructive, please :-)

Re: Cardozo 1L taking questions

Postby jazzman » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:49 am

What are your typical 1L class sizes?

Postby plenipotentiary » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:06 am

Why'd you choose Cardozo? (I'm not asking sarcastically.)

Postby Fropals1 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:28 am

Cardozo has been near the top of my list for law schools for a long time.

1.) How is the atmosphere at the school? Overtly competitive or more laid back?
2.) How is the NYC location?
3.) What's the typical routine for a Cardozo 1L?

Postby slapshot01j » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:41 am

Sorry for delayed replies:

1) Why Cardozo? For a variety of reasons, I needed to stay in the NY-area. Ultimately, it came down to Cardozo and Brooklyn (common choice) and I was just more impressed with the opportunities at Cardozo, and the way the school conducts itself. Everything was very organized and well put-together at Cardozo, and that has pretty much continued to date. Also, the location does happen to be terrific (although that comes with higher living expenses than there probably are in less urban schools. This must be factored into the decision to go to law school in NY.)

2) I've always found the "competitiveness" question hard to answer, since I'm only in one school. Are people friendly with each other and helpful when asked? Absolutely. To date, I have not experienced any snobbishness and certainly not anyone stealing pages from books or any horror stories like that. That being said, law schools are all pretty competitive. You are being graded on a strict curve - so the undertone is there. Law school is competitive, period. When you hand in a paper, one person getting an A means another is getting a C. So would I give one of my peers my notes for the day they missed class? Of course! Am I publishing my notes from the entire semester? No.

TLS's review of Cardozo makes it sound like it is an especially competitive school. I have not found this to be the case. That being said, there is no denying that only highly-ranked students will get OCI's, let alone call backs. Especially in this market - that is a fact.

3) For the typical routine, you'd best check out the website, because there are 3 different entry dates. May students have an intense summer of Elements of Law, Contrats I and II, and Criminal Law. Then their Fall and Spring semesters are lighter. Fall students (the vast majority) take the usual 15 credit semesters
(Fall: Elements of Law, Torts, Civ Pro, Contracts I, Legal Writing) - Contracts I does not start until Elements ends (mid-october.)
(Spring: Contracts I, Crim Law, Property, Con Law, Legal Writing)
There is a January option too, but I have no idea how their schedule breaks down (they are by far the fewest.)

4) For what it's worth, I've heard a few 3L's complaining about the job market. As a 1L I'm not even remotely focused on that yet (I'm just focused on my current 1L classes,) employment prospects are important to factor in. I don't think Cardozo/Brooklyn offer any huge advantage over one another (they both have +/-, and it balances out.)

The tricky (and common!) question is for people considering Cardozo w/ scholarship money, who have also gotten into Fordham. In that case, you will ask 10 people and get no consensus. My only input on that is: pay attention to the requirements for keeping your scholarship money. If they are very difficult to meet, I wouldn't take it very seriously. But some's scholarships are pretty lenient in that way.

I touched on a whole lot there - any more questions/clarifications - please don't hesitate. I might be a little slow in answering for the next few days (first final coming up,) but will try and get to everything.

Postby slapshot01j » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:48 am

Oh, and re: class sizes - of my 5 classes this semester:
Legal writing is no larger than 12, usually smaller.
2 classes have two sections combined - something like 80-90 total.
2 are just your section, with about 30-40 (estimate.)

Professors so far are pretty accessible, except for the classes taught by the Dean/Vice Dean etc. Same deal everywhere - they are always among the best/most interesting teachers, but best of luck contacting them outside of class.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”