Columbia 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CLS_ladies

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby CLS_ladies » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:32 pm

irie wrote:Anyone know when schedules for the spring come out?

Later today or tomorrow morning!

(I had a dream last night that they made me take calculus. it was horrifying).

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:43 pm

marlis wrote:Thanks for all the input!

1) Is student housing really worth it for first year? Or would we be better off hunting down our own place? I've been to N.Y. a few times but am by no means super familiar with the area, especially not the Morningside area. I thought it might be easier to do the law student housing for at least my first year to get acquainted with the area and avoid choosing some sketchy rat-infested place by accident, but I don't want to over-pay (as I've heard Columbia's 'subsidization' of rent isn't all it's cracked up to be)

2) I'm sure this has been asked before, but how generous is Columbia for need & merit based aid for EDers? Would any EDers be willing to share approx what they recieved from Columbia last year (if anything)?

Thanks!

1. The housing I got was worth it. I have a large 1bedroom apartment for 400 less than my neighbors across the street are paying for a studio. Granted their apts are much nicer. If you are not familiar with NYC then I would suggest student housing. Just make sure that when you fill out your housing form, you put in ALL of your needs including the max you will pay each month. From my own experience and from what other students have said, CLS does an excellent job of meeting the needs you list on your app.

2. I was ED and got a nice aid package. PM for details.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:44 pm

CLS_ladies wrote:
irie wrote:Anyone know when schedules for the spring come out?

Later today or tomorrow morning!

(I had a dream last night that they made me take calculus. it was horrifying).

Really? how do you know?

I have been dying to see which crim class I get into. Lynch is awesome, but that 8am on Fri might kill me!

mcat4life87

Postby mcat4life87 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Last edited by mcat4life87 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taylor

Postby taylor » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Sogui wrote:
kazu wrote:
Sogui wrote:Or maybe I'm just overlooking the flaws of fellow men, because I have a slightly harsher opinion about roughly half the women here.

Could you elaborate on this? :oops:

Probably not a good idea, I'm tired and I don't want to sound like the personality-type that I've gotten so sick of here.

I'd just say, I feel like the appearance factor is down a bit compared to undergrad... but that's natural compared to a big state school known for sports and partying. But the personality factor is down too, which is surprising. Instead of seeing the intelligent side of the women here I'm more exposed to the judging, trash-talking, etc... that makes me feel like we really are back in high school. Hearing a girl tear apart another girl in her study group/organization/class over and over just gets old. It makes me feel like it's really hard to build up genuine good will here, but I see an ugly side to many girls here that I don't remember so vividly from my other phases of education.

Dear Sogui,

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141893

Let's compare schedules when they're released. I'll make sure not to sit next to you so that you won't be distracted by my unattractiveness and my bitchiness. Happy holidays!

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:14 pm

*sigh*
Last edited by Sogui on Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:00 am

Time to return this thread back to its original purpose. Any more questions about CLS?

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:23 pm

CLS 2L here, happy to take Q's as well.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:23 am

CLS 1L here...we just finished finals so we'll be in cheerier moods (it's the peak between exams and grades)

I'm straight out of undergrad, living with BF, UAH housing but off campus...happy to answer anything or something particular to that.

polyester

Postby polyester » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:32 pm

I was wondering if a lot of 1Ls get summer positions. Also, how do you make the Law Review? Is it based on marks solely?

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:34 am

viking138 wrote:CLS 1L here...we just finished finals so we'll be in cheerier moods (it's the peak between exams and grades)

I'm straight out of undergrad, living with BF, UAH housing but off campus...happy to answer anything or something particular to that.

I am ashamed to admit I have no idea how this grading stuff works. Are the grades posted by the professors as soon as they are done? Or, are the grades submitted by the professors and then the school releases all the grades on the same day? If so, what day is that?

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:36 am

polyester wrote:I was wondering if a lot of 1Ls get summer positions. Also, how do you make the Law Review? Is it based on marks solely?

What do you mean by positions? If you mean firm positions it's <10% of class some years. Otherwise, I think nearly all students get some type of "position."

as for LR,

"Of the approximately 45 students invited to join the Review as editors, 15 are selected solely on the basis of their Writing Competition Scores. Next, 20 students are selected on the basis of a combination of their Competition Scores and 1L grades. Finally, 10 students are selected based on a combination of their personal statement, Competition Scores, and 1L grades."

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:57 am

swc65 wrote:
viking138 wrote:CLS 1L here...we just finished finals so we'll be in cheerier moods (it's the peak between exams and grades)

I am ashamed to admit I have no idea how this grading stuff works. Are the grades posted by the professors as soon as they are done? Or, are the grades submitted by the professors and then the school releases all the grades on the same day? If so, what day is that?

Professors send grades for their class to the Registrar once they're done grading. The Registrar then posts them on our individual online profiles ("Lawnet"). Individual grades come out at totally different times, anywhere from two weeks after an exam to, in one case for me, two months.
Last edited by Lem37 on Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:59 am

polyester wrote:I was wondering if a lot of 1Ls get summer positions. Also, how do you make the Law Review? Is it based on marks solely?

Most 1Ls do not get firm jobs, if that's what you're asking. Some firms have "Diversity Programs" for 1Ls. Probably 90% of 1Ls work in public interest or judicial internships their first summer. Public interest internships are subject to CLS's stipend, which is around $5K for 10 weeks of work; judicial internships are unpaid, however.

sbalive

Postby sbalive » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:47 am

Lem37 wrote:

Most 1Ls do not get firm jobs, if that's what you're asking. Some firms have "Diversity Programs" for 1Ls. Probably 90% of 1Ls work in public interest or judicial internships their first summer. Public interest internships are subject to CLS's stipend, which is around $5K for 10 weeks of work; judicial internships are unpaid, however.

Sadly, they've cut it to just over $3k for 8 weeks this year. Cheap bastards. :roll:

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:56 am

sbalive wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

Sadly, they've cut it to just over $3k for 8 weeks this year. Cheap bastards. :roll:

WHAT. Jesus.

Postby 4102011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:07 pm

What do CLS students who live in housing do over the summer? I'm trying to figure out whether or not to be lazy or not if I get in/attend next year :)

<3 you guys for answering questions!

Also, this question is asked a lot, but what made you choose CLS over other schools?

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:29 pm

dulcatis wrote:What do CLS students who live in housing do over the summer? I'm trying to figure out whether or not to be lazy or not if I get in/attend next year :)

Also, this question is asked a lot, but what made you choose CLS over other schools?

We live in our housing over the summer. The leases are year-long. :)

And I chose CLS personally because I liked the neighborhood and the more campus-y "feel" of the school. The facilities are also quite nice (even though we sometimes have problems with our heating/cooling system - regardless, everything looks very nice). Honestly, it came down to CLS and NYU for me, and while NYU heavily publicizes their public interest programs, I knew that I could successfully go into either the public or the private sector with a degree from Columbia.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:48 pm

Lem37 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:What do CLS students who live in housing do over the summer? I'm trying to figure out whether or not to be lazy or not if I get in/attend next year :)

We live in our housing over the summer. The leases are year-long. :)

And I chose CLS personally because I liked the neighborhood and the more campus-y "feel" of the school. The facilities are also quite nice (even though we sometimes have problems with our heating/cooling system - regardless, everything looks very nice). Honestly, it came down to CLS and NYU for me, and while NYU heavily publicizes their public interest programs, I knew that I could successfully go into either the public or the private sector with a degree from Columbia.

Actually, I think most leases ran from whenever you moved in until May 31. You can renew your lease (though they increase rent at every renewal... mine went up $30/month or something stupid) and move out whenever you want pretty much as long as you're moving into non-UAH housing (they technically require a month's notice for this, but people have managed to get around this requirement as well; UAH housing transfers are only allowed three times a year). So you're set for summer housing if needed.

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:00 pm

taylor wrote:
Sogui wrote:
kazu wrote:
Sogui wrote:Or maybe I'm just overlooking the flaws of fellow men, because I have a slightly harsher opinion about roughly half the women here.

Could you elaborate on this? :oops:

Probably not a good idea, I'm tired and I don't want to sound like the personality-type that I've gotten so sick of here.

I'd just say, I feel like the appearance factor is down a bit compared to undergrad... but that's natural compared to a big state school known for sports and partying. But the personality factor is down too, which is surprising. Instead of seeing the intelligent side of the women here I'm more exposed to the judging, trash-talking, etc... that makes me feel like we really are back in high school. Hearing a girl tear apart another girl in her study group/organization/class over and over just gets old. It makes me feel like it's really hard to build up genuine good will here, but I see an ugly side to many girls here that I don't remember so vividly from my other phases of education.

Dear Sogui,

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141893

Let's compare schedules when they're released. I'll make sure not to sit next to you so that you won't be distracted by my unattractiveness and my bitchiness. Happy holidays!

that's hella acerbic

Postby 4102011 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Awesome, thanks guys :) I was trying to read up on it and it seemed like it went through summer, but I wasn't sure if that's what people actually did. The commute from the outer boroughs seems like it would be suuuper shitty, so there's a decent chance I'd be in housing.

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:38 pm

any nearby asian supermarkets? or is chinatown the only venue for that

dubunamjah

Postby dubunamjah » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:52 pm

beleaguer wrote:any nearby asian supermarkets? or is chinatown the only venue for that

there's an asian convenience store called m2m. it's around 115th and broadway.

i think chinatown might be better overall if you want lots of asian groceries, though. my friends pretty much go there when they want to do their asian grocery shopping

beleaguer

Postby beleaguer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:48 pm

thanks! :D I was just randomly curious.

also:
I can't make it for asw in march. since I'm visiting nyc in late january, I think I'm going to email the admissions office and see if there's any possibility I can view some UAH housing or (maybe) drop in on a class. suggestions on how to go about it or anything particular to see, if any, would be awesome.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:53 pm

beleaguer wrote:thanks! :D I was just randomly curious.

also:
I can't make it for asw in march. since I'm visiting nyc in late january, I think I'm going to email the admissions office and see if there's any possibility I can view some UAH housing or (maybe) drop in on a class. suggestions on how to go about it or anything particular to see, if any, would be awesome.

My boyfriend (another CLS 2L) and I live together in UAH housing - an unfurnished 2-bedroom on 111th St. We'd be happy to let people up to see our apartment. Just PM me and we can set something up.

EDIT: we also have some pics of the apartment which I'd be happy to share.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”