Columbia 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:24 am

lakerfanimal wrote:Very specific question but I've never lived in NYC before and don't know how not having a doorman works.. If you get large packages (cardboard boxes) how do you get them? Do the shipping companies like UPS just leave them at your building door?

Thanks!


Depends, but generally if you do not have a doorman someone has to be home to receive the package. Sometimes you can get them to just leave it at your apartment door, but that's dependent on them being able to get into the building. It's one of the bigger advantages of having a doorman.

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby Lem37 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:39 am

lakerfanimal wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
Sogui wrote:You really can't get a better deal than the shares IMO. With electricity/water/internet/heating/etc.. all included in rent, minimal fees, "flexibility" with payments (this is huge if you rely on financial aid to make rent payments, it came in really late this year).

My 2 roommates and I went looking for alternatives to UAH for 2L year and there was no clearly superior alternative. Lots of stuff in the same price range was farther away, had less floor space, didn't include utilities/internet/etc..., and wasn't maintained as well.

There were some comparable deals, but they always involved some kind of sacrifice that just wasn't worth it at the end of the day. Plus I love the 1-minute commute to class.

I'm by no means an expert in the NYC market yet, but to call UAH a "ripoff" I think is a bit excessive. On a side-note, it was a breeze finding sub-letters for the summer.


This is all true. Plus, you'll save $104/month on a subway fees, since with UAH housing you'll be able to just walk 5 minutes to class. Maybe the OP was referring to Lenfest (which, IMO, is a ripoff). Also, my UAH apartment is refurbished by our super every year, so...yeah. Aside from having a doorman (which I'm fine without because I feel pretty safe around campus) and living in a low-rise apartment (which is fine with me, because I don't see the benefits of living in a high-rise aside from...maybe view? Or something?), UAH is the way to go. I'll be sad to leave my apartment next year, for sure.


Very specific question but I've never lived in NYC before and don't know how not having a doorman works.. If you get large packages (cardboard boxes) how do you get them? Do the shipping companies like UPS just leave them at your building door?

Thanks!


Usually they'll buzz up (since they're delivering lots of packages to each building, someone is bound to be home) and then leave the package at your front door - I've never had a problem with this. You can also get packages delivered directly to the law school, though.

User avatar
UnitarySpace
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby UnitarySpace » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:50 am

UPS has a special key that opens a little box in the "antechamber" of our apartment building that has a key to the front door of the apartment. Depending on the package, they usually buzz or leave it outside your door.

lakerfanimal
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 am

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:55 am

Ok awesome!!! Thank you!

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:13 pm

Another housing question.

When you accept the assignment from housing, does that mean you have effectively signed the lease? Or does that happen later? What are the penalties for pulling out from a housing assignment later on? I am riding the WL at two schools and I am curious as to how long I can go before I start incurring harsh housing fees for dropping.

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby hellome » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:29 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:Another housing question.

When you accept the assignment from housing, does that mean you have effectively signed the lease? Or does that happen later? What are the penalties for pulling out from a housing assignment later on? I am riding the WL at two schools and I am curious as to how long I can go before I start incurring harsh housing fees for dropping.


I was under the impression that you pay something when you accept an assignment.
So this means mid to late May.

Some one confirm me on this but I think I read this on the housing website.

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby Lem37 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:47 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:Another housing question.

When you accept the assignment from housing, does that mean you have effectively signed the lease? Or does that happen later? What are the penalties for pulling out from a housing assignment later on? I am riding the WL at two schools and I am curious as to how long I can go before I start incurring harsh housing fees for dropping.


You don't sign a lease until you move in, but you will pay a security deposit + your first month's rent when you accept your housing offer this month. This is non-refundable - so you're looking at around a $2000 loss.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby CG614 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Lem37 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Another housing question.

When you accept the assignment from housing, does that mean you have effectively signed the lease? Or does that happen later? What are the penalties for pulling out from a housing assignment later on? I am riding the WL at two schools and I am curious as to how long I can go before I start incurring harsh housing fees for dropping.


You don't sign a lease until you move in, but you will pay a security deposit + your first month's rent when you accept your housing offer this month. This is non-refundable - so you're looking at around a $2000 loss.

For what is worth. My housing offer was due 5/25/10. So, you'd have until around then to figure things out.

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby hellome » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:31 pm

It was mentioned that not a lot of 1Ls are at Lenfest and Lionsgate.

Is this because it's just too expensive so no one requests for them
or is it actually difficult for 1Ls who request Lionsgate, for example, to get this choice?

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby CG614 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:33 pm

hellome wrote:It was mentioned that not a lot of 1Ls are at Lenfest and Lionsgate.

Is this because it's just too expensive so no one requests for them
or is it actually difficult for 1Ls who request Lionsgate, for example, to get this choice?

Not worth the price tag. Request UAH Housing and put a dollar limit on the app, you will end up #Winning.

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby hellome » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:04 pm

CG614 wrote:
hellome wrote:It was mentioned that not a lot of 1Ls are at Lenfest and Lionsgate.

Is this because it's just too expensive so no one requests for them
or is it actually difficult for 1Ls who request Lionsgate, for example, to get this choice?

Not worth the price tag. Request UAH Housing and put a dollar limit on the app, you will end up #Winning.


I understand that it's crazy expensive but does Lionsgate have newer/better/larger apartments than "400" block?
I mean, there must be a reason it's more expensive, no? :shock:

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:09 pm

CG614 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Another housing question.

When you accept the assignment from housing, does that mean you have effectively signed the lease? Or does that happen later? What are the penalties for pulling out from a housing assignment later on? I am riding the WL at two schools and I am curious as to how long I can go before I start incurring harsh housing fees for dropping.


You don't sign a lease until you move in, but you will pay a security deposit + your first month's rent when you accept your housing offer this month. This is non-refundable - so you're looking at around a $2000 loss.

For what is worth. My housing offer was due 5/25/10. So, you'd have until around then to figure things out.


Thanks to you both for the responses. At least I have a better idea in my head of potential losses should I get a WL offer. Not likely, but still good to know. Guess I better get that housing app finished lol.

User avatar
UnitarySpace
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby UnitarySpace » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:15 pm

let me tell you people the secret to the 400 block apartments. some of them are absolutely terrible. others are amazing. the kicker is that they're priced about the same. you just have to know which ones to request.

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby hellome » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:20 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
CG614 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Another housing question.

When you accept the assignment from housing, does that mean you have effectively signed the lease? Or does that happen later? What are the penalties for pulling out from a housing assignment later on? I am riding the WL at two schools and I am curious as to how long I can go before I start incurring harsh housing fees for dropping.


You don't sign a lease until you move in, but you will pay a security deposit + your first month's rent when you accept your housing offer this month. This is non-refundable - so you're looking at around a $2000 loss.

For what is worth. My housing offer was due 5/25/10. So, you'd have until around then to figure things out.


Thanks to you both for the responses. At least I have a better idea in my head of potential losses should I get a WL offer. Not likely, but still good to know. Guess I better get that housing app finished lol.


FYI - you may want to hold off a little bit. i called the housing people and they said they were aiming to get this year's rent prices up by the end of this week. i'm trying to see if i can get a hold of new numbers before i submit so i can offer a better cap on the money i'm willing to pay.

User avatar
Lem37
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby Lem37 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:19 am

hellome wrote:
CG614 wrote:
hellome wrote:It was mentioned that not a lot of 1Ls are at Lenfest and Lionsgate.

Is this because it's just too expensive so no one requests for them
or is it actually difficult for 1Ls who request Lionsgate, for example, to get this choice?

Not worth the price tag. Request UAH Housing and put a dollar limit on the app, you will end up #Winning.


I understand that it's crazy expensive but does Lionsgate have newer/better/larger apartments than "400" block?
I mean, there must be a reason it's more expensive, no? :shock:


Generally, Lionsgate is nicer than the 400 block apartments. But you have about a .001% chance of getting a Lionsgate apartment, since they're reserved for upperclassmen and faculty.

droll
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby droll » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:05 pm

UnitarySpace wrote:let me tell you people the secret to the 400 block apartments. some of them are absolutely terrible. others are amazing. the kicker is that they're priced about the same. you just have to know which ones to request.


Any advice about this? I'm probably not gonna go for the 400 block. I feel like a lot of 1Ls I talked to said they would have not done it in retrospect, but is there any community to be had from living there, or is it worth it more to have nicer/cheaper accommodations?

klgp09
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby klgp09 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:22 pm

droll wrote:
UnitarySpace wrote:let me tell you people the secret to the 400 block apartments. some of them are absolutely terrible. others are amazing. the kicker is that they're priced about the same. you just have to know which ones to request.


Any advice about this? I'm probably not gonna go for the 400 block. I feel like a lot of 1Ls I talked to said they would have not done it in retrospect, but is there any community to be had from living there, or is it worth it more to have nicer/cheaper accommodations?


I'm interested in this as well -- I think I'm leaning toward a non-400 block UAH apartment but I'm not sure. (I also think I want unfurnished -- I live in NYC right now so I have some furniture already.)

snowkat
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby snowkat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:18 am

Hi All,
I've got another housing question. I have the option to move back into my old apartment in Hell's Kitchen ( I lived in NYC for a few years before moving abroad this year). It's a great apartment--nicer than what I would be able to afford from Columbia housing, and I prefer Hell's Kitchen to Morningside Heights. It's also nice because it puts me close to non-law school friends (and I've heard hanging out with non-law school people is a good way to reduce stress). According to hop-stop it's a 29 minute commute from my apartment to the main law school building. I've been reading through the thread and I noticed that a lot of people cited the difficulty of finding off campus housing as a reason to use Columbia housing, but that's not a problem for me. I am worried about how this will impact my law school social life. Can anyone who chose to live off-campus talk about this? Was it harder to make friends if you were living further away from school? Any other things I should be aware of? I'm really not sure what to do and I have to decide about this apartment by April 30th.

Thanks!

snowkat
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby snowkat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:23 am

Also, does CLS provide on campus lockers or some other kind of storage for students who live off campus? Thanks.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:25 am

snowkat, yes, there are lockers in the law school. i live in the west 50s, and i really like it. the commute is not too bad, and i like having some distance from the law school. it hasn't been a problem socially that i don't live in morningside heights, so i would definitely recommend it.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:37 am

snowkat wrote:Hi All,
I've got another housing question. I have the option to move back into my old apartment in Hell's Kitchen ( I lived in NYC for a few years before moving abroad this year). It's a great apartment--nicer than what I would be able to afford from Columbia housing, and I prefer Hell's Kitchen to Morningside Heights. It's also nice because it puts me close to non-law school friends (and I've heard hanging out with non-law school people is a good way to reduce stress). According to hop-stop it's a 29 minute commute from my apartment to the main law school building. I've been reading through the thread and I noticed that a lot of people cited the difficulty of finding off campus housing as a reason to use Columbia housing, but that's not a problem for me. I am worried about how this will impact my law school social life. Can anyone who chose to live off-campus talk about this? Was it harder to make friends if you were living further away from school? Any other things I should be aware of? I'm really not sure what to do and I have to decide about this apartment by April 30th.

Thanks!


I live off campus (though on the UWS, so closer). It is not a problem and I would actually recommend it for the reasons you outlined above (less stress, maintaining connections with pre-law school friends, better neighborhoods). Yes, you will have to make slightly more effort to make friends compared to people who live in a building with 20 other 1Ls, but it will not be a problem at all if you put in a minimum of effort considering how much time you'll be spending up at the law school anyways.

The only thing I would note is you have to be much better about planning out your days. Since your place is half an hour away, you'll often have to kill time between classes at the law school and you won't be able to go back and forth multiple times per day.

snowkat
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby snowkat » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info, both of you. Really appreciate it.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests