Columbia 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CapHillLove

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby CapHillLove » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:35 pm

Lem37 wrote:
CapHillLove wrote:
Lem37 wrote:I posted this in the housing thread, but here are pics of my UAH unfurnished 2-bedroom share. I pay $975 and my roommate pays a little over $900:

Living room: --LinkRemoved--

Living room #2 (from entrance - our living room is an L-shape): --LinkRemoved--

Kitchen: --LinkRemoved--

Bedroom: --LinkRemoved--

90% of our furniture is from Ikea - so, like, extremely cheap ($200 for the bedframe, $60 for the bookshelf, etc.). Plus, we don't have to worry about finding furniture when we graduate (longterm investment ftw). We're about four blocks from the law school, and on the corner is a supermarket and 1-train stop.

Would you mind saying which UAH share this is (like which building)? I would love to list it as my preference if possible!

I might be totally missing something, but it seems like from the list on the website that Lionsgate and 115th are the only viable options for reasonable shares. Am I missing something?

Unfortunately, this isn't in a UAH-only building, so I don't think you can list this as a "preference." Columbia maintains a number of individual UAH apartments in buildings that also house undergrads, general grads, and non-affiliated tenants. I've found that these apartments generally appear to be nicer than exclusively-student buildings.

Ooooh ok. I see. So the ones on the site are the law-school affiliated ones and then there are other mixed ones that they might throw you in if it meets your preferences?

So is the deal that you can list 115th/Lionsgate as a preference or list specifications of what you want out of an apartment and then hope to get something good?

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:49 pm

CapHillLove wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
CapHillLove wrote:
Lem37 wrote:I posted this in the housing thread, but here are pics of my UAH unfurnished 2-bedroom share. I pay $975 and my roommate pays a little over $900:

Living room: --LinkRemoved--

Living room #2 (from entrance - our living room is an L-shape): --LinkRemoved--

Kitchen: --LinkRemoved--

Bedroom: --LinkRemoved--

90% of our furniture is from Ikea - so, like, extremely cheap ($200 for the bedframe, $60 for the bookshelf, etc.). Plus, we don't have to worry about finding furniture when we graduate (longterm investment ftw). We're about four blocks from the law school, and on the corner is a supermarket and 1-train stop.

Would you mind saying which UAH share this is (like which building)? I would love to list it as my preference if possible!

I might be totally missing something, but it seems like from the list on the website that Lionsgate and 115th are the only viable options for reasonable shares. Am I missing something?

Unfortunately, this isn't in a UAH-only building, so I don't think you can list this as a "preference." Columbia maintains a number of individual UAH apartments in buildings that also house undergrads, general grads, and non-affiliated tenants. I've found that these apartments generally appear to be nicer than exclusively-student buildings.

Ooooh ok. I see. So the ones on the site are the law-school affiliated ones and then there are other mixed ones that they might throw you in if it meets your preferences?

So is the deal that you can list 115th/Lionsgate as a preference or list specifications of what you want out of an apartment and then hope to get something good?

Yes. And I posted this in another thread, but just FYI, the chances of a 1L getting Lionsgate are very slim, since it's largely reserved for upperclassmen and professors.

CapHillLove

Postby CapHillLove » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Lem37 wrote:Yes. And I posted this in another thread, but just FYI, the chances of a 1L getting Lionsgate are very slim, since it's largely reserved for upperclassmen and professors.

Thanks so much for explaining all of this to me! You are ridiculously helpful.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:24 pm

CapHillLove wrote:
Lem37 wrote:Yes. And I posted this in another thread, but just FYI, the chances of a 1L getting Lionsgate are very slim, since it's largely reserved for upperclassmen and professors.

+1, seriously Lem, you have been wonderful in these Columbia threads.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:43 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
CapHillLove wrote:

Aw, you guys. :D

Blame it on me locking myself in my apartment to work on my Note (a 40-page thesis you write for your law journal). Seriously though, TLS was ridiculously helpful when I was applying for law school two years ago, and I'm more than happy to give back to all the admits. Also, I legitimately love CLS. :)

lw2011

Postby lw2011 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Thanks for taking questions! This has been really helpful.

Could you discuss more what your class schedule is like? How many classes do you have each day and week/how many hours a week you're in class?

I've read through these pages, but sorry if I missed this and you already answered this question.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:32 pm

lw2011 wrote:Thanks for taking questions! This has been really helpful.

Could you discuss more what your class schedule is like? How many classes do you have each day and week/how many hours a week you're in class?

I've read through these pages, but sorry if I missed this and you already answered this question.

My personal class schedule this semester is four classes (13 credits). On Mondays and Wednesdays I have one class from 10:40-12 pm. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have my other three classes, from 9:10-10:30, 10:40-noon, and 2:50-4:50.

2Ls and 3Ls are able to choose their schedules; 1Ls are given their schedules by the Registrar. As a 1L, you'll probably have 2-3 classes each day. Most of us don't have class on Friday, although some professors hold Friday classes because of other constraints (for example, my CrimLaw professor was a 2nd Cir. judge who had to teach on Friday mornings).

lw2011

Postby lw2011 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:22 pm

Lem37 wrote:
lw2011 wrote:Thanks for taking questions! This has been really helpful.

My personal class schedule this semester is four classes (13 credits). On Mondays and Wednesdays I have one class from 10:40-12 pm. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have my other three classes, from 9:10-10:30, 10:40-noon, and 2:50-4:50.

2Ls and 3Ls are able to choose their schedules; 1Ls are given their schedules by the Registrar. As a 1L, you'll probably have 2-3 classes each day. Most of us don't have class on Friday, although some professors hold Friday classes because of other constraints (for example, my CrimLaw professor was a 2nd Cir. judge who had to teach on Friday mornings).

thank you!

bellamy

Postby bellamy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:55 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
CapHillLove wrote:

This is certainly very true and many of us are indebted to you. Thank you

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:00 pm

bellamy wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:
CapHillLove wrote:

This is certainly very true and many of us are indebted to you. Thank you

+1

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:55 pm

+1 This thread is significantly more helpful than Columbia's housing site.

TrustMeI'mAnActress

Postby TrustMeI'mAnActress » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:46 pm

Sorry if it's already been covered, but is housing assigned based on a first come first served basis? Aka is it in our best interest to fill out the housing form ASAP?

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:57 pm

TrustMeI'mAnActress wrote:Sorry if it's already been covered, but is housing assigned based on a first come first served basis? Aka is it in our best interest to fill out the housing form ASAP?

No and no.

legalmo

Postby legalmo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Did you all see the question I posted a while ago? I wasn't sure whether the lack of an answer was supposed to be my answer or if no one felt comfortable addressing it.

And +1 thank you for all the candid information :).

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:43 pm

legalmo wrote:Hey, 0L here. CLS is my top choice, hands down. I don't really see myself going to any other school, honestly.

With that said, I was curious as to the GLBT crowd at CLS (not saying that active clubs are important to me, but rather what the state of tolerance is like among students). I don't think I saw that on the demographics % that was posted earlier. I also get the sense that people don't generally compare numbers, but as an "Other Hispanic" what kind of numbers should I shoot for (provided a decent PS and great DS). I've noticed predictors don't really have a "sort-of-URM, but it depends" boost option. Seems kind of skeezy, but I'm just trying to give myself the best possible chance to get in with what I've got/still have to work towards.

Thanks!

I think the lack of response may be due to lack of experience for those of us on here answering questions. I, for example, am neither LGBT nor Hispanic. I do know that there is a significant LGBT presence here at Columbia, although I'm not sure exactly of the details (how often they meet, what outreach they engage in, etc.). The name of the organization is "Outlaws," however, so I'm sure if you Google "Columbia Outlaws" you can find more information. As for the URM info, again, I have no idea. I would shoot for the highest LSAT and GPA you can get (170's and ~3.7) regardless, since the application process appears to be getting more and more competitive and unpredictable.

legalmo

Postby legalmo » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:25 pm

Lem37 wrote:
legalmo wrote:Hey, 0L here. CLS is my top choice, hands down. I don't really see myself going to any other school, honestly.

With that said, I was curious as to the GLBT crowd at CLS (not saying that active clubs are important to me, but rather what the state of tolerance is like among students). I don't think I saw that on the demographics % that was posted earlier. I also get the sense that people don't generally compare numbers, but as an "Other Hispanic" what kind of numbers should I shoot for (provided a decent PS and great DS). I've noticed predictors don't really have a "sort-of-URM, but it depends" boost option. Seems kind of skeezy, but I'm just trying to give myself the best possible chance to get in with what I've got/still have to work towards.

Thanks!

I think the lack of response may be due to lack of experience for those of us on here answering questions. I, for example, am neither LGBT nor Hispanic. I do know that there is a significant LGBT presence here at Columbia, although I'm not sure exactly of the details (how often they meet, what outreach they engage in, etc.). The name of the organization is "Outlaws," however, so I'm sure if you Google "Columbia Outlaws" you can find more information. As for the URM info, again, I have no idea. I would shoot for the highest LSAT and GPA you can get (170's and ~3.7) regardless, since the application process appears to be getting more and more competitive and unpredictable.

Thanks!

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:50 pm

cyxdev17 wrote:Wait, seriously? Is need based aid like a scholarship too, or are they loans?

As was noted before, it can be pure need or need + merit based. This question is an interesting one as I recently received a specific letter from a Columbia alumnus congratulating me on my success and the money that I had earned, the description of the money he had given described itself as a "merit based scholarship program" that he had set up.

I wonder if Columbia is handing out this man's money strictly on need-based considerations when he clearly intends it to go for merit reasons... either way, the system is a little odd and it sure doesn't hurt to try for merit money or getting CLS to step up if NYU/Chicago/etc... give you substantially more money.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Sogui wrote:
cyxdev17 wrote:Wait, seriously? Is need based aid like a scholarship too, or are they loans?

As was noted before, it can be pure need or need + merit based. This question is an interesting one as I recently received a specific letter from a Columbia alumnus congratulating me on my success and the money that I had earned, the description of the money he had given described itself as a "merit based scholarship program" that he had set up.

I wonder if Columbia is handing out this man's money strictly on need-based considerations when he clearly intends it to go for merit reasons... either way, the system is a little odd and it sure doesn't hurt to try for merit money or getting CLS to step up if NYU/Chicago/etc... give you substantially more money.

I had previously had just grants but got a named scholarship after my 1L grades came out. So I think it might be more along the lines of need-based but going to people who do well who have need, if that makes sense.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:41 pm

Last edited by JG Hall on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellome

Postby hellome » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:07 pm

hey i was looking into purchasing my (first ever) mac for law school
and was wondering if columbia students get a decent discount through the school store (i can't log in)

i hope to get a macbook air or pro

thanks!

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Does CLS have wi-fi? Where? Over the whole campus, in the library, in the housing?

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:03 am

hellome wrote:hey i was looking into purchasing my (first ever) mac for law school
and was wondering if columbia students get a decent discount through the school store (i can't log in)

thanks!

Yes, we get a decent discount on all Apple laptops - I forget what it is - a few hundred off?

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:04 am

Hey-O wrote:Does CLS have wi-fi? Where? Over the whole campus, in the library, in the housing?

Yes, CLS has wi-fi that covers the law school building and the adjacent area. Columbia University also has its own wi-fi covering the entire campus. Apartments typically have university ethernet (which I hook into a wireless router to give my apartment wi-fi).

hellome

Postby hellome » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:44 am

Lem37 wrote:
hellome wrote:hey i was looking into purchasing my (first ever) mac for law school

thanks!

Yes, we get a decent discount on all Apple laptops - I forget what it is - a few hundred off?

Woot thanks

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:48 am

hellome wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

thanks!

Woot thanks

It's $50 off of airs, $100-200 off of pros.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”