Columbia 1Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lakerfanimal

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Postby lakerfanimal » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:08 pm

JG Hall wrote:The Lionsgate apartments are a lot nicer than the usual UAH apartment shares, though (not because of the security, just newer/cleaner). I had a few friends who lived their 1L. I'm not a huge fan of the furnished apartment shares because you get stuck with shitty dorm-style furniture (even though you can swap your bed out... but if you swap all your furniture out, why get a furnished apartment?). If you're going with UAH, go unfurnished because they're nicer/cheaper. So the low-end Lionsgate shares are probably better than the 115th furnished shares.

Hmm, is that what you ended up doing? I was almost settled on furnished just because I've never been to NY before and live across the country. But if I can get a nicer place unfurnished, then maybe that is the way to go..

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:23 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:
JG Hall wrote:The Lionsgate apartments are a lot nicer than the usual UAH apartment shares, though (not because of the security, just newer/cleaner). I had a few friends who lived their 1L. I'm not a huge fan of the furnished apartment shares because you get stuck with shitty dorm-style furniture (even though you can swap your bed out... but if you swap all your furniture out, why get a furnished apartment?). If you're going with UAH, go unfurnished because they're nicer/cheaper. So the low-end Lionsgate shares are probably better than the 115th furnished shares.

Hmm, is that what you ended up doing? I was almost settled on furnished just because I've never been to NY before and live across the country. But if I can get a nicer place unfurnished, then maybe that is the way to go..

I lived in a furnished share last year on 115th and regret it (off-campus this year). True, it's a bit daunting in the beginning to not have furniture, but if you come with an air mattress, everything else is easily attainable. IKEA in Brooklyn has reduced their shipping to $70 to Manhattan (and had a half-price student discount for a while), and delivers next day. And you can get mattresses at Sleepy's, too. And if you don't need to have everything at once, Craigslisting has worked well for me (don't worry, I didn't get anything with bed bugs). Also, there's the chance that you will be moving in with someone who will already be there, which means a) they'll probably already have living room furniture, and b) you might be able to start getting stuff delivered before you get there.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:

I agree that unfurnished apartments are generally nicer. Furnished apartments come with that ugly blue dorm furniture, twin-sized beds, and mattresses (ew. just...ew. bedbugs, anyone?). Also, no rugs. I mean, you're going to have to buy some furniture-related stuff anyway (housewares, dishes, television, or anything that you'd want to make your place remotely livable), so I would review your expenses and browse Ikea's website.

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks JG Hall and Lem! Maybe I'll move in early so I can get some furniture.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:34 am

I'm living in a furnished UAH apartment on 115th with 2 other 1L's

Thoughts:

Location and Security: If security is your thing, 115th is probably much safer than anything elsewhere with a doorman. From the moment I walk out the door I'm within earshot of campus police, if I'm going to the subway or CLS after a few seconds of walking you'll be within eyeshot of campus police and you'll be that way for the rest of your very short trip. Given the weird hours that I study I'd much rather take this setup over having to walk a few blocks where a doorman is going to be irrelevant.

Either way, the neighborhood is extremely safe and I've never felt like I was in any danger. New York is one of the safest big cities in the US and this neighborhood is no exception. We've had a couple muggings (people getting their stuff grabbed or being pushed over and pockets emptied, but nothing extremely serious as far I can remember) but those were also in Undergrad territory.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/publicsafety ... urrent.pdf

----

Accommodations: Pretty bare. It depends on what you're used to. I'm pretty insensitive to this kind of stuff so it doesn't bother me, but here's what stands out-

- No dishwasher, one medium sink for storing 3 people's dirty dishes
- Relatively modern gas oven and stove
- Standard fridge + Freezer, decent amount of space
- Bathroom is a little scrappy, paint is chipping on the ceiling and upper walls
- Kitchen has lots of cabinets but surface space is lacking for 3 people
- Living room is underutilized, it's just a bunch of what looks like old library furniture. Going to take some effort to make this room more than a watering hole
- Not exactly the world's best soundproofing
- Hard floors get dirty easily
- NO AC
- Radiators can be a little fickle, sometimes you need to bundle up when it gets cold and other times you wonder if they are going for a sauna effect
- View of an alley (at least it's just some chairs and potted plants down there, not an eyesore at least)
- No doorstop, I've got a beautiful dent in my wall from where the doorknob hit the wall after I opened to door quickly
- Mattress is twin-sized and firm, they appeared to do a good job of cleaning the place when I moved in so I doubt the mattresses are festering with anything, mine was fine (no stains/smells) and that's what mattress pads and bed sheets for right?
- Room furnishing for us were:
  • Metal bed frame
  • Spring Mattress
  • Light wooden drawer
  • Light wooden desk with 4 drawers and 'desk light', 2 shelves and generally good surface space
  • Mirror on closet door
  • Decent sized closet with shelf space
  • Overhead fluorescent light

It is $1132 a month with all expenses, even internet, included. If you aren't sensitive and want the economical choice then it's really hard to complain about what you get on 115th IMO, the worst part is the lack of AC in August and half of September for 1L's but the problem can be mitigated with a fan or solved with a window AC unit, which you can easily afford with all the money you'll be saving over the other options UAH offers. The toughest part is justifying a window AC when it will only be running for a month, and you might not be staying for the summer.

Just to give a counter-point to the poster above, I would not have picked differently if I were given the choice again. It's hard to compare what kind of "premium" you might pay for the furnishing, but for an apartment share - unfurnished options are more limited and the website indicated that utilities might not be included in the rent. So unless I had clear info that unfurnished always led to better, cheaper options I would still have chosen furnished. Move-in dates are also a big issue. If you move in within the first 2 weeks of August, you will probably have plenty of time on your hands to get settled in and buy furniture for an unfurnished place. On the other hand I moved in like 2 days before official orientation events started and I have a pragmatic attitude about furniture, it was so nice having my entire move-in consist of ordering things on Amazon 2 days before the move-in, and being completely "settled" after a couple hours.

Plus if I need to move out for the summer, all I need to store is bed sheets, pillows, towels, kitchenware, and a printer. I've "furnished" apartments before and you can't bank on having a roommate get there earlier/shelling out for a nice living room. Furnished apartments on 115th cost "an average" of $7 more per month. That's about $70 for a bed-frame, mattress, desk, drawer, chairs, and the previously described kick-ass living room chairs/couch/tables. Some people will love it/hate it, but I've done my best to give you more info to make that judgment on.

Since my options this morning were Conlaw reading or distracting myself with this topic, I even went all out and threw in my floor plan and an amazing high-res video of our living room/kitchen/bedroom. I can appreciate your situation since I had almost no info when I made my choice of living arrangements, so I hope this helps:

Floor plan:
--LinkRemoved--

Tour of the living room/kitchen/bedroom:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-ozyeJbuMM

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:55 am

I keep finding apartments on Craigslist that look fairly nice and are seemingly less money than the dorms. Do any of you students have experience with living off campus 1L year or know someone who used Craigslist?

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:00 am

I posted this in the housing thread, but here are pics of my UAH unfurnished 2-bedroom share. I pay $975 and my roommate pays a little over $900:

Living room: --LinkRemoved--

Living room #2 (from entrance - our living room is an L-shape): --LinkRemoved--

Kitchen: --LinkRemoved--

Bedroom: --LinkRemoved--

90% of our furniture is from Ikea - so, like, extremely cheap ($200 for the bedframe, $60 for the bookshelf, etc.). Plus, we don't have to worry about finding furniture when we graduate (longterm investment ftw). We're about four blocks from the law school, and on the corner is a supermarket and 1-train stop.

yellowsubmarine55

Postby yellowsubmarine55 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:35 pm

Question for current students:

How easy would you say it is to sublet your apartment during the summer? My plan right now is to spent all of my summers outside of the city. How big of a hassle do you the process is?

TrustMeI'mAnActress

Postby TrustMeI'mAnActress » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Quick question - I'm going to be stopping by for a quick visit with my parents tomorrow morning. Where is a good place near campus to grab an early lunch? I'd like a place where students frequent to get a sense of the campus environment. Thanks!

kiniru

Postby kiniru » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:09 pm

wow thanks for all the detailed housing info... definitely super helpful in getting a better idea of what the dorms look like.

Sogui wrote: Not exactly the world's best soundproofing

do you mean like between apartments or within the apartment? and how loud does it usually get/how often does it get annoyingly loud?

thank youuu :)

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks lem and Sogui!! And is it just me or does sogui's kitchen actually seem kinda big haha

hellome

Postby hellome » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:42 pm

Lem37 wrote:I posted this in the housing thread, but here are pics of my UAH unfurnished 2-bedroom share. I pay $975 and my roommate pays a little over $900:

90% of our furniture is from Ikea - so, like, extremely cheap ($200 for the bedframe, $60 for the bookshelf, etc.). Plus, we don't have to worry about finding furniture when we graduate (longterm investment ftw). We're about four blocks from the law school, and on the corner is a supermarket and 1-train stop.

thanks for the great pictures!
i was wondering whether we have a choice regarding the # of roommates we want...
i think having one other rommie (like you) would be ideal

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:50 am

kiniru wrote:wow thanks for all the detailed housing info... definitely super helpful in getting a better idea of what the dorms look like.

do you mean like between apartments or within the apartment? and how loud does it usually get/how often does it get annoyingly loud?

Mostly within the apartment. It's not awful, but I can still hear when my roommate is talking in the room adjacent to mine (even if it is highly muffled and I can't make out the words).

The only other potential problem is with apartments above yours. Heavy footsteps, jumping, moving furniture will come down pretty strong into the floor below. That's rarely a problem and why they require rugs (though I'm on the first floor and elected to keep my floor bare).

@Lem

That's a very sexy place you've got set up there. I think we've set up a good contrast as to what furnished/unfurnished might feel like. IMO if you think you are going to be pretty static over the next few years, making an early investment in furniture can't hurt. Furniture just feels like a big "all-in" that many people just aren't ready to make, I ended up furnishing an apartment and then a house for the last 2 years but ended up selling/trashing/giving away lots of IKEA stuff when I came up here. Now that I'm going to be leaving NYC for summer work, and will likely be living with my significant other by 2012 - investing early in furniture seemed like an unnecessary burden. I really like the idea that when I 'move out' for the summer I can throw all my non-personals into a single box in about 20 minutes.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:24 am

Sogui wrote:
kiniru wrote:wow thanks for all the detailed housing info... definitely super helpful in getting a better idea of what the dorms look like.

Mostly within the apartment. It's not awful, but I can still hear when my roommate is talking in the room adjacent to mine (even if it is highly muffled and I can't make out the words).

The only other potential problem is with apartments above yours. Heavy footsteps, jumping, moving furniture will come down pretty strong into the floor below. That's rarely a problem and why they require rugs (though I'm on the first floor and elected to keep my floor bare).

@Lem

That's a very sexy place you've got set up there. I think we've set up a good contrast as to what furnished/unfurnished might feel like. IMO if you think you are going to be pretty static over the next few years, making an early investment in furniture can't hurt. Furniture just feels like a big "all-in" that many people just aren't ready to make, I ended up furnishing an apartment and then a house for the last 2 years but ended up selling/trashing/giving away lots of IKEA stuff when I came up here. Now that I'm going to be leaving NYC for summer work, and will likely be living with my significant other by 2012 - investing early in furniture seemed like an unnecessary burden. I really like the idea that when I 'move out' for the summer I can throw all my non-personals into a single box in about 20 minutes.

Word. I think that it really depends on what your long-term strategy is. :)

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:13 am

hellome wrote:
Lem37 wrote:I posted this in the housing thread, but here are pics of my UAH unfurnished 2-bedroom share. I pay $975 and my roommate pays a little over $900:

thanks for the great pictures!
i was wondering whether we have a choice regarding the # of roommates we want...
i think having one other rommie (like you) would be ideal

You can specify on your application (comments section), but again, you're not guaranteed to get all of your preferences.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:19 am

kwais wrote:I keep finding apartments on Craigslist that look fairly nice and are seemingly less money than the dorms. Do any of you students have experience with living off campus 1L year or know someone who used Craigslist?

I used Craigslist my first two years in NYC (before law school). There are a couple reasons why I chose to go with UAH:

1. Utilities are included with UAH apartments. You're talking savings of $50-$100 (if you want to use an AC during the summer) per month.

2. A lot of the apartments on there that are listed as "no fee" DO have fees, which means you'll shell out an extra month's rent.

3. It's a hell of a hassle to apartment hunt in New York. I mean, it really sucks. First of all, you need to look a few weeks before you move, since apartments that are up for rent now are set to rent at the beginning of the next month. So there's the pressure of "Oh my god, I start law school soon and I'm currently homeless. In addition, everything gets taken immediately, you're running around the City all day for God knows how long, filling out applications, etc. At least with UAH you know that you'll have a place to live when law school starts.

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure what neighborhood you're looking in to find rents lower than UAH's subsidized apartments. Certainly not the Morningside/UWS area - maybe Greater Harlem or the Bronx?

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:45 pm

Lem37 wrote:
EDIT: Also, I'm not sure what neighborhood you're looking in to find rents lower than UAH's subsidized apartments. Certainly not the Morningside/UWS area - maybe Greater Harlem or the Bronx?

I'll disagree with this. I am living in an apartment on the UWS that is a comparable price point and arrangement to UAH (~$950/month, 3 bedroom), but considerably nicer (doorman, 21st floor, 1 block from the 96th express, stainless steel appliances, balcony, etc.)

If you are willing to look, you can find something better for a comparable price. As Lem said though it can be a huge pain in the ass to apartment hunt in NY.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:08 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

I'll disagree with this. I am living in an apartment on the UWS that is a comparable price point and arrangement to UAH (~$950/month, 3 bedroom), but considerably nicer (doorman, 21st floor, 1 block from the 96th express, stainless steel appliances, balcony, etc.)

If you are willing to look, you can find something better for a comparable price. As Lem said though it can be a huge pain in the ass to apartment hunt in NY.

Sounds perfect. Want a room mate. lol. Just kidding (unless you actually do want a room mater).

bellamy

Postby bellamy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:39 am

What percentage of CLS students who apply for Article 3 clerkships actually get them? Thanks

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:12 pm

NVM: I read that as a SCOTUS clerkship for some reason...in my sleep deprived state.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:07 pm

bellamy wrote:What percentage of CLS students who apply for Article 3 clerkships actually get them? Thanks

Unclear because nobody really knows how many people apply, and the people who apply tend to be those who have a pretty good shot. Maybe 1/3? That's a total guess.

This is extremely rough, but I would say that generally speaking top 10% and LR will give you a viable (definitely not guaranteed) shot at a COA clerkship, and top 33% or so has a shot (again, far from guaranteed) at a district clerkship, depending on the district. I think the stat is that about 15-20% eventually end up doing an article 3 clerkship (the number 10-12% straight out, but a decent number of people work first then apply to clerk). Obviously other stuff like publishing, journal positions, etc., matters.

It's very hard to tell because a lot of people don't apply. Anecdotally, roughly half my friends who have grades in range for a clerkship aren't looking for one. Also, CLS kids tend to apply overwhelmingly to SDNY, EDNY, and the 2nd Circuit, which are hard courts to get.

CapHillLove

Postby CapHillLove » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Would you mind saying which UAH share this is (like which building)? I would love to list it as my preference if possible!

I might be totally missing something, but it seems like from the list on the website that Lionsgate and 115th are the only viable options for reasonable shares. Am I missing something?

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:31 pm

don't live in lionsgate

CapHillLove

Postby CapHillLove » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:32 pm

UnitarySpace wrote:don't live in lionsgate

Why not?

Is 115th the only other UAH option for shares? What am I missing?

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:33 pm

CapHillLove wrote:

Would you mind saying which UAH share this is (like which building)? I would love to list it as my preference if possible!

I might be totally missing something, but it seems like from the list on the website that Lionsgate and 115th are the only viable options for reasonable shares. Am I missing something?

Unfortunately, this isn't in a UAH-only building, so I don't think you can list this as a "preference." Columbia maintains a number of individual UAH apartments in buildings that also house undergrads, general grads, and non-affiliated tenants. I've found that these apartments generally appear to be nicer than exclusively-student buildings.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”