Columbia 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
of Benito Cereno

Silver

Re: Columbia 1Ls taking questions

Post by of Benito Cereno » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:48 pm

so the "official" curve link posted above says A+s exist.... haven't met any [people with A+s] yet, has anyone?
Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:17 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:so the "official" curve link posted above says A+s exist.... haven't met any yet, has anyone?
I haven't personally, but I know of several people who have received A+'s.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:29 pm

Lem37 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:so the "official" curve link posted above says A+s exist.... haven't met any yet, has anyone?
I haven't personally, but I know of several people who have received A+'s.

I managed to snag a copy of the grade distribution for 04-05, and A+s were extremely rare. They were awarded 8 times out of 2693 grades.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:55 pm

a

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:51 pm

i think i calculated my gpa correctly but now not sure. what are the numbers assigned to grades at cls b+ = 3.3 or 3.4, a- = 3.67 or 3.7, etc

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:i think i calculated my gpa correctly but now not sure. what are the numbers assigned to grades at cls b+ = 3.3 or 3.4, a- = 3.67 or 3.7, etc
3.33, 3.67, 4, 4.33

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:55 pm

swc65 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:i think i calculated my gpa correctly but now not sure. what are the numbers assigned to grades at cls b+ = 3.3 or 3.4, a- = 3.67 or 3.7, etc
3.33, 3.67, 4, 4.33
thats what i thought but where did you read that

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:57 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
swc65 wrote:
3.33, 3.67, 4, 4.33
thats what i thought but where did you read that
http://registrar.columbia.edu/content/calculating-gpa-0

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:53 pm

what are the policies for listing grades, gpa, and estimated class rank on our resumes. Many jobs ask for this information to be listed. For example, one government job I want to apply to today asks for "class rank, or if unavailable estimated position."
does cls have any policies in this regard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rockspaperjesus

New

Post by rockspaperjesus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:21 pm

I asked this question in the Columbia vs. NYU thread, but I'm hoping some of you might be able to help out too. Does Columbia have housing available if you plan on living with a significant other who is not a student? Do you have to be married or just in a serious relationship? I'm trying to figure out if I will definitely have to pursue off campus housing...but I'm having trouble finding this information in the mailings/on the website.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:47 pm

rockspaperjesus wrote:I asked this question in the Columbia vs. NYU thread, but I'm hoping some of you might be able to help out too. Does Columbia have housing available if you plan on living with a significant other who is not a student? Do you have to be married or just in a serious relationship? I'm trying to figure out if I will definitely have to pursue off campus housing...but I'm having trouble finding this information in the mailings/on the website.
I am piggybacking on this question in all of the threads I can find it in, haha, but I do know a Columbia grad student (not in the Law program) who is living with a gf not in law school in Columbia houses. Can law students do this too?

I would rather pay more to live with my bf than have roommates.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:20 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
rockspaperjesus wrote:I asked this question in the Columbia vs. NYU thread, but I'm hoping some of you might be able to help out too. Does Columbia have housing available if you plan on living with a significant other who is not a student? Do you have to be married or just in a serious relationship? I'm trying to figure out if I will definitely have to pursue off campus housing...but I'm having trouble finding this information in the mailings/on the website.
I am piggybacking on this question in all of the threads I can find it in, haha, but I do know a Columbia grad student (not in the Law program) who is living with a gf not in law school in Columbia houses. Can law students do this too?

I would rather pay more to live with my bf than have roommates.
Yes, I am not sure of the procedures though. I think you have to show that you were living together beforehand, but don't quote me on that. I do know that it is possible and there are 1Ls that do it.

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:10 pm

You need somewhat substantial proof. For my BF and me, it was a joint credit card account for 5 months and a shared lease for 4 months. Take steps now to make sure you have sufficient proof (adding SO to your credit card works well).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:25 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:what are the policies for listing grades, gpa, and estimated class rank on our resumes. Many jobs ask for this information to be listed. For example, one government job I want to apply to today asks for "class rank, or if unavailable estimated position."
CLS does not provide GPA or class rank. You can compute your GPA through your grades, although I've never been asked for my GPA by an employer (just for my transcript). A "legal" resume typically doesn't include rank or GPA - you list the awards you get (such as Stone Scholar, which is given to those in the top 1/3 of the class), but that's it.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:25 am

swc65 wrote:
polyester wrote:I was wondering if a lot of 1Ls get summer positions. Also, how do you make the Law Review? Is it based on marks solely?
What do you mean by positions? If you mean firm positions it's <10% of class some years. Otherwise, I think nearly all students get some type of "position."

as for LR,

"Of the approximately 45 students invited to join the Review as editors, 15 are selected solely on the basis of their Writing Competition Scores. Next, 20 students are selected on the basis of a combination of their Competition Scores and 1L grades. Finally, 10 students are selected based on a combination of their personal statement, Competition Scores, and 1L grades."
Hi ya, question about LR. This means there's a specific competition to get onto LR? Also - personal statement, that can't mean the personal statement from our applications I'm assuming.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:30 am

Lem37 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:what are the policies for listing grades, gpa, and estimated class rank on our resumes. Many jobs ask for this information to be listed. For example, one government job I want to apply to today asks for "class rank, or if unavailable estimated position."
CLS does not provide GPA or class rank. You can compute your GPA through your grades, although I've never been asked for my GPA by an employer (just for my transcript). A "legal" resume typically doesn't include rank or GPA - you list the awards you get (such as Stone Scholar, which is given to those in the top 1/3 of the class), but that's it.
I'm being told big firms just create a "rough" class rank/GPA for the Columbia people, since they receive so many Columbia transcripts. Apparently it's more just annoying than anything else.

It sounds like you're screwed for government jobs though.

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:23 am

ahduth wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
I'm being told big firms just create a "rough" class rank/GPA for the Columbia people, since they receive so many Columbia transcripts. Apparently it's more just annoying than anything else.

Hmm what do you mean by screwed for govt jobs? I've had 5 interview offers from government agencies and the like already, so I really don't think the lack of a rank harms you. The grading system at columbia has been around for a while, so I think employers are fairly familiarized with it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:58 am

viking138 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

Hmm what do you mean by screwed for govt jobs? I've had 5 interview offers from government agencies and the like already, so I really don't think the lack of a rank harms you. The grading system at columbia has been around for a while, so I think employers are fairly familiarized with it.
yes but do you have serious WE? also, what agencies and when/how did you apply.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:06 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
viking138 wrote:Hmm what do you mean by screwed for govt jobs? I've had 5 interview offers from government agencies and the like already, so I really don't think the lack of a rank harms you. The grading system at columbia has been around for a while, so I think employers are fairly familiarized with it.
Sorry, I just meant they won't be able to compare you to your classmates directly. It's still Columbia, and they still have your grades though.

rockspaperjesus

New

Post by rockspaperjesus » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:13 pm

viking138 wrote:
You need somewhat substantial proof. For my BF and me, it was a joint credit card account for 5 months and a shared lease for 4 months. Take steps now to make sure you have sufficient proof (adding SO to your credit card works well).
I tried to ask this yesterday but I don't think it went through..if it did, sorry for the double post. Do you know if a year+ lease would suffice? Or do you need something in addition to that? I'm hoping its not too complicated

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:21 pm

ahduth wrote:
swc65 wrote:
polyester wrote:I was wondering if a lot of 1Ls get summer positions. Also, how do you make the Law Review? Is it based on marks solely?
What do you mean by positions? If you mean firm positions it's <10% of class some years. Otherwise, I think nearly all students get some type of "position."

as for LR,

"Of the approximately 45 students invited to join the Review as editors, 15 are selected solely on the basis of their Writing Competition Scores. Next, 20 students are selected on the basis of a combination of their Competition Scores and 1L grades. Finally, 10 students are selected based on a combination of their personal statement, Competition Scores, and 1L grades."
Hi ya, question about LR. This means there's a specific competition to get onto LR? Also - personal statement, that can't mean the personal statement from our applications I'm assuming.
There is a required Writing Competition at the end of your 1L year. It is one week long, and involves a large bunch of documents from which you write a 15-or-so-page memo. You submit this to every journal (not just LR) for which you wish to apply. You also include a personal statement, which usually includes why you want to work on that particular journal. Each journal has unique application materials for you to submit as well (typically just forms, etc.).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:23 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
viking138 wrote:
ahduth wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

In my experience, the government typically only asks for class rank if you're an undergrad, when rank is more readily accessible. CLS sends a significant number of its grads into government work, and a number of 1Ls get public interest jobs with the government during their first summer; if this were a problem, CLS would have changed their system by now.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:27 pm

rockspaperjesus wrote:
viking138 wrote:
I tried to ask this yesterday but I don't think it went through..if it did, sorry for the double post. Do you know if a year+ lease would suffice? Or do you need something in addition to that? I'm hoping its not too complicated

yes a one year plus lease will work just fine. I used that for my couples' housing.

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
viking138 wrote:
I'm straight out of undergrad but I had three fairly substantial research and govt internships in undergrad. I think one govt agency internship might be helping me in terms of interviews because it's finance-related. I applied for govt jobs before the term started.

legalmo

New

Post by legalmo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:53 am

Hey, 0L here. CLS is my top choice, hands down. I don't really see myself going to any other school, honestly.

With that said, I was curious as to the GLBT crowd at CLS (not saying that active clubs are important to me, but rather what the state of tolerance is like among students). I don't think I saw that on the demographics % that was posted earlier. I also get the sense that people don't generally compare numbers, but as an "Other Hispanic" what kind of numbers should I shoot for (provided a decent PS and great DS). I've noticed predictors don't really have a "sort-of-URM, but it depends" boost option. Seems kind of skeezy, but I'm just trying to give myself the best possible chance to get in with what I've got/still have to work towards.

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”