WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
aerogear

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby aerogear » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:30 am

Are there any reasonable golf courses near campus?
Last edited by aerogear on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:15 am

I have no idea how good it is, but I could swear I saw people golfing in Forest Park when I was driving by.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:50 am

yeah im not sure if its great or not, but ive heard its relatively inexpensive to play there too

camstant

Postby camstant » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:37 pm

Forest Park isn't bad. Cheap, 9 holes, convenient.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:34 pm

camstant wrote:Forest Park isn't bad. Cheap, 9 holes, convenient.

Actually, there are 36 holes in Forest Park. FPGC is 27 holes and fairly decent, depending on the set of nine you are playing (Dogwood and Rosebud are nice, Hawthorne is okay). There is also the Highlands, which is a 9-hole course and is kind of a dog track. But there is a range there and a lot people I know like to hit balls there.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:30 pm

I am signed up for Federal Jurisdiction with Prof David Law, but I have heard he is terrible and partial to foreign law students. Is he actually 'materially' (for lack of a better word) biased towards foreign students? For example if a person demonstrated a excellent grasp of the english language, would he automatically take off a few points (or vice versa)? Does he 'bend the rules' when it comes to anonymous grading? I know this sounds extreme, but I just want to make sure, because I have heard he's just terrible. I am contemplating switching to federal justiciability if any of this is true...

Also, when it comes to just basic teaching, how terrible is terrible?

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:23 pm

No he is biased against foreign law students, probably due to some weird self-hate. And when it comes to basic teaching he is the worst I've had by far.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Huh, well then I feel bad for the foreign students, but at least I won't be screwed.... And I guess the fact that he's a terrible teacher means I will just have to buy out the store on supplements... Thanks for the clarification.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:07 pm

The key to success, if you are committed to taking the class, is to learn the basic law (supplement plan is a good one) and spend the rest of your time keeping track of his opinions. I tuned out whenever he went on his rants in Con Law I and it screwed me. One of three essay prompts was "have an opinion about this line of cases" and without knowing for sure I suspect that determined the top scores.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:04 am

seatown12 wrote:The key to success, if you are committed to taking the class, is to learn the basic law (supplement plan is a good one) and spend the rest of your time keeping track of his opinions. I tuned out whenever he went on his rants in Con Law I and it screwed me. One of three essay prompts was "have an opinion about this line of cases" and without knowing for sure I suspect that determined the top scores.

Sweet, thanks, I appreciate it. I would appreciate any other tips for him, as I suspect that class will be a doozy :)

aerogear

Postby aerogear » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:
camstant wrote:Forest Park isn't bad. Cheap, 9 holes, convenient.

Actually, there are 36 holes in Forest Park. FPGC is 27 holes and fairly decent, depending on the set of nine you are playing (Dogwood and Rosebud are nice, Hawthorne is okay). There is also the Highlands, which is a 9-hole course and is kind of a dog track. But there is a range there and a lot people I know like to hit balls there.

thanks. much appreciated.

blackmambakatana

Postby blackmambakatana » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:58 am

How do you get to WUSTL from the airport? Does WUSTL provide free metro passes?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:04 am

blackmambakatana wrote:How do you get to WUSTL from the airport? Does WUSTL provide free metro passes?
Metro or taxi. Metro's cheaper but you have to switch trains so it'll definitely take longer. WUSTL issues free metro passes each semester but you have to sign up for it online and then pick it up in the traffic and parking office near the intersecion of Skinker and Delmar, I.e. you can't use it the first time you fly in this semester. Metro's only like 2.50 though so it's nbd.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:49 am

Anyone know if the school is open right now? I'm in town and I kinda want to walk through it on my own.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:59 am

0LNewbie wrote:Anyone know if the school is open right now? I'm in town and I kinda want to walk through it on my own.

It's basically always open. If you go during the week during normal business hours, you should be able to just walk in.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:20 am

JCougar wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:Anyone know if the school is open right now? I'm in town and I kinda want to walk through it on my own.

It's basically always open. If you go during the week during normal business hours, you should be able to just walk in.

Thanks!

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:10 pm

Was anyone in here able to petition to avoid paying the mandatory health insurance fee? I understand the idea in principle, but I feel like showing proof of existing coverage should be enough. I know it's not that expensive, but the idea of paying for it twice irks me.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:13 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Was anyone in here able to petition to avoid paying the mandatory health insurance fee? I understand the idea in principle, but I feel like showing proof of existing coverage should be enough. I know it's not that expensive, but the idea of paying for it twice irks me.

dont be that kid. this is law school, theres something youre not gonna like about everything, the sooner you realize theres nothing you can do about it the easier it will be to swallow.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:17 pm

nyyankees wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:Was anyone in here able to petition to avoid paying the mandatory health insurance fee? I understand the idea in principle, but I feel like showing proof of existing coverage should be enough. I know it's not that expensive, but the idea of paying for it twice irks me.

dont be that kid. this is law school, theres something youre not gonna like about everything, the sooner you realize theres nothing you can do about it the easier it will be to swallow.

If there's nothing I can do about it, I'm not going to raise hell. If there is a simple and established opt-out process, then I'd like to take advantage of it.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:19 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
nyyankees wrote:

If there's nothing I can do about it, I'm not going to raise hell. If there is a simple and established opt-out process, then I'd like to take advantage of it.

haha you and your non-escalating response...ill stop being snarky. As far as I know, there is no opt out process, sorry.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:09 am

nyyankees wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:
nyyankees wrote:

haha you and your non-escalating response...ill stop being snarky. As far as I know, there is no opt out process, sorry.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:48 am

I had wondered the same thing. I'm married and will already have coverage through my husband's employer. Having to pay a fee for something I won't use just irks me.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:46 am

emkay625 wrote:

I had wondered the same thing. I'm married and will already have coverage through my husband's employer. Having to pay a fee for something I won't use just irks me.

Never mind how irksome it is... stop rabble-rousing! JK, NYYankees :-)

Seriously, though, I'm in the same position. Wife's government job has more than adequate coverage for both of us. I kinda have a sinking feeling that our cries will go unheard.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:17 am

in this thread we complain about having TOO MUCH insurance coverage.

First World Problems.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:14 am

The above: very funny, I lol'd.

But yeah, the insurance thing is kind of BS. Maybe its this new health care law thing, but in 2009-2010 the school I transfered from had a very easy one-click and your done opt out process for health insurance. At the very least WUSTL could require you to opt out upon showing proof of other insurance.... makes me wonder though...is WUSTL is getting kick backs?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”