WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
J-tow10
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby J-tow10 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:18 pm

.

User avatar
myq
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby myq » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:14 pm

pdftlvson wrote:Sorry if this has been asked already, but is anyone familiar with the transnational law program? It doesn't sound like any of the posters are in the program, but do any of you know other students who are? How have their experiences been? Is there funding available for the fourth year? BTW I toured the campus last Tuesday and it is gorgeous (I probably would have found it even more beautiful had it not been 97 degrees outside...)!


I'm not in it, but I know some people who are. One is working in Chile this summer, one in Panama, one in Belgium. They are all happy with what they're doing. I'm not sure how any of this translates into 2L summer/long-term employment, though - they are all 1Ls ("rising 2Ls"). Peil is a helpful guy too, I've talked to him about international stuff before and he's always been great.

User avatar
PSUFB1114
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby PSUFB1114 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:56 am

What should we expect from the school prior to orientation (and when should we expect it)...sections, schedules, other golden tidbits of information?

User avatar
deebs
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby deebs » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:09 am

PSUFB1114 wrote:What should we expect from the school prior to orientation (and when should we expect it)...sections, schedules, other golden tidbits of information?


Schedules and sections went out pretty late last year - last year's thread seemed to be around August 13th. Other than that, I can't remember if/when you get an actual orientation schedule.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:18 am

deebs wrote:
PSUFB1114 wrote:What should we expect from the school prior to orientation (and when should we expect it)...sections, schedules, other golden tidbits of information?


Schedules and sections went out pretty late last year - last year's thread seemed to be around August 13th. Other than that, I can't remember if/when you get an actual orientation schedule.
I think we got the orientation schedule a week or two before the first day... I maybe remember bitching about how worthless it promised to be in the class thread? We definitely got one ahead of time though, that's how I knew to dread it before it started

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby fl0w » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:57 pm

PSUFB1114 wrote:What should we expect from the school prior to orientation (and when should we expect it)...sections, schedules, other golden tidbits of information?


srsly do not worry about this.
enjoy every last second of your summer and do not think about law school at all until you start.

0LNOOB
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby 0LNOOB » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:28 pm

Any casinos near Saint Louis?

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby fl0w » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:35 pm

0LNOOB wrote:Any casinos near Saint Louis?


Let me Google that for you. (LinkRemoved)

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby quadsixm » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:36 pm

0LNOOB wrote:Any casinos near Saint Louis?


Yes, there are some good ones. Harrah's and Ameristar are to the Northwest of campus, and Lumiere Place and Casino Queen (which is not that great), are downtown (east of campus).

User avatar
myq
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby myq » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:37 pm

0LNOOB wrote:Any casinos near Saint Louis?


Yeah, there's the Lumiere which is near the Landing, Cardinals games, etc. I've heard the poker tables are good after Cardinals games.

I've also been to Harrah's which I think is cool if you're looking to avoid the crowds/lines that can happen at Lumiere.

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby quadsixm » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:41 pm

myq wrote:
0LNOOB wrote:Any casinos near Saint Louis?


Yeah, there's the Lumiere which is near the Landing, Cardinals games, etc. I've heard the poker tables are good after Cardinals games.

I've also been to Harrah's which I think is cool if you're looking to avoid the crowds/lines that can happen at Lumiere.


Yep, I've played cash games at Lumiere and had a good time, had less luck playing cash at Harrah's. Harrah's does run better tournaments though.

User avatar
deebs
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby deebs » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:06 pm

fl0w wrote:
0LNOOB wrote:Any casinos near Saint Louis?


Let me Google that for you.


I'm sure he knew there were casinos and was just looking for some feedback on which ones people at school enjoyed.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Lumiere is the best and the nicest, but you can lose money there fast. I prefer Casino Queen... definitely trashier (East STL FTW), but you can play games for lower limits and the drinks are cheaper. CQ is a good idea if you're like me and you don't want to blow $200 at the casino, but still want to go and have a good time.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby fl0w » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:08 pm

deebs wrote:
fl0w wrote:
0LNOOB wrote:Any casinos near Saint Louis?


Let me Google that for you.


I'm sure he knew there were casinos and was just looking for some feedback on which ones people at school enjoyed.


specify. do or die.

0LNOOB
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:16 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby 0LNOOB » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:31 pm

Haha yes sorry about that...looking for the best ones...lower limit (ones that law students can afford to play at). Won't do it often, but will do it the week before Orientation at least once. Thanks for the info.

uchimata
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:04 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby uchimata » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:16 pm

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/27/brick-mortar/st-louis-mo-poker-thread-462409/

That thread will have way more info about poker in St. Louis. Interestingly, if you are into Pot Limit Omaha, St. Louis is one of the few cities with regular PLO games for some reason. Though, I think PLO games are only on the weekends for the most part.

seatown12
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby seatown12 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:05 am

In my limited experience the tables at Lumiere are fairly reggy but none of them are really that dangerous. If you play solid TAG poker you can do alright there. No idea about table games or any of that degen shit, but the casino itself is nice, and convenient to other entertainment (Lacledes, Wash Ave, Cards) and the Metro.

Harrahs and Ameristar are deep in Missouruh.

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby bouakedojo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:56 am

.
Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:57 am

bouakedojo wrote:Hey, guys. Kind of tangentially related to this thread, but I'm meeting with an associate at a firm in a market I want to work in. The associate is a WashU alumnus and I am stoked about asking questions and gleaning insight.

Anyone have any idea of appropriate attire for this? We're going to lunch so I didn't know if I should go with business casual or maybe a suit? I'm thinking business casual, but I have no idea.


slacks dress shirt, jacket, NO TIE.

can't go wrong.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby JCougar » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:02 pm

fl0w wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:Hey, guys. Kind of tangentially related to this thread, but I'm meeting with an associate at a firm in a market I want to work in. The associate is a WashU alumnus and I am stoked about asking questions and gleaning insight.

Anyone have any idea of appropriate attire for this? We're going to lunch so I didn't know if I should go with business casual or maybe a suit? I'm thinking business casual, but I have no idea.


slacks dress shirt, jacket, NO TIE.

can't go wrong.


I agree. I did one of these just like this, and it worked out fine. The guy came to lunch in khakis and a button down shirt...so even without a tie, I was a tad overdressed. But you can easily just take off the jacket and put it on the back of your chair if you want. Or leave it on...it doesn't look too formal to have a sport coat on over your dress casual attire.

User avatar
bouakedojo
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby bouakedojo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:16 pm

.
Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ihp12
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby ihp12 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Does WUSTL provide 1Ls with access to both Lexis and Westlaw?

Are there any restrictions on this usage?

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:00 pm

ihp12 wrote:Does WUSTL provide 1Ls with access to both Lexis and Westlaw?

Are there any restrictions on this usage?


access to both
no restrictions that will bother you during the school year unless imposed by your professor and enforceable through honor code.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:02 pm

fl0w wrote:
ihp12 wrote:Does WUSTL provide 1Ls with access to both Lexis and Westlaw?

Are there any restrictions on this usage?


access to both
no restrictions that will bother you during the school year unless imposed by your professor and enforceable through honor code.


oh and here's a tip. USE BOTH. Don't just get used to one w/o a clue how to use the other. You don't know what they are going to use at your summer job.

And use both WestlawNext and WestlawClassic. I'm working with people now that only ever used WestlawNext and they don't know how to use Classic (which is what we use at court). Their learning curve was laughably steep when we started doing research for our first assignments.

User avatar
ihp12
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby ihp12 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:21 pm

fl0w wrote:
fl0w wrote:
ihp12 wrote:Does WUSTL provide 1Ls with access to both Lexis and Westlaw?

Are there any restrictions on this usage?


access to both
no restrictions that will bother you during the school year unless imposed by your professor and enforceable through honor code.


oh and here's a tip. USE BOTH. Don't just get used to one w/o a clue how to use the other. You don't know what they are going to use at your summer job.

And use both WestlawNext and WestlawClassic. I'm working with people now that only ever used WestlawNext and they don't know how to use Classic (which is what we use at court). Their learning curve was laughably steep when we started doing research for our first assignments.


Thanks. I'd heard that using both was a good strat, thats why I asked.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests