WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sambeber

Bronze

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Post by sambeber » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:39 am

n/m
Last edited by sambeber on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Because I am lazy and know only one of the answers off the top of my head, here it is:

1) WUSTL is 1/3 lottery, 2/3 preselect.

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:16 pm

n/m
Last edited by sambeber on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:55 pm

fl0w wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:So can I get the spark notes on orientation?
go to day 1. skip the rest for drinking. might be your last chance to have fun and/or sex.
haha so is most of it pretty much worthless?

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:58 pm

myq wrote:
blackmambakatana wrote:Do 1Ls in WashU get summer associate positions?
Not really. I know several people in the top 5% who didn't get any SA positions. However, there is a 1L OCI and some people get positions. A lot of them are special diversity programs.
Pardon my lack of knowing anything, but what exactly is the process for obtaining the unpaid internships I've heard so much about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:53 pm

sambeber wrote:I know most of the WUSTL students here are rising 2L's, but I'm hoping someone can comment on OCI logistics.

1) What is the ratio of lottery to preselect?
2) Do you know if the number of firms coming this year (specifically from Chicago and New York) has incresed, remained static, or decreased compared to last year?
3) What are the dates of OCI?

Thanks.
I think there are probably 70 employers so far in simplicity for OCI so far, but it is supposed to increase. WUSTL also has an off campus program in NYC where there are 22 firms.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Oban wrote:
sambeber wrote:I know most of the WUSTL students here are rising 2L's, but I'm hoping someone can comment on OCI logistics.

1) What is the ratio of lottery to preselect?
2) Do you know if the number of firms coming this year (specifically from Chicago and New York) has incresed, remained static, or decreased compared to last year?
3) What are the dates of OCI?

Thanks.
I think there are probably 70 employers so far in simplicity for OCI so far, but it is supposed to increase. WUSTL also has an off campus program in NYC where there are 22 firms.
Yeah, it is an incomplete list at this point. There are some firms that are sure to be there (like Thompson Coburn) that aren't added yet.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:02 am

I know this has been addressed at some point in this thread, but I'm just too lazy to go find it.

Can someone explain the gym situation? From what I recall there is a weights room, but then there is some kind of separate facility that has treadmills? And you have to pay separately for that? How about basketball? And when do we sign up for these additional fees, if that's the situation?

Thanks.

myq

Bronze

Post by myq » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:44 am

soccerfreak wrote:
myq wrote:
blackmambakatana wrote:Do 1Ls in WashU get summer associate positions?
Not really. I know several people in the top 5% who didn't get any SA positions. However, there is a 1L OCI and some people get positions. A lot of them are special diversity programs.
Pardon my lack of knowing anything, but what exactly is the process for obtaining the unpaid internships I've heard so much about.
There are some on-campus interviews for unpaid positions. You can also just apply to a list of them through Symplicity, which is an application website we use for legal jobs. Some people also just send out cover letters and resumes to places they're interested in working. Most people are working for prosecutors or public defenders and legal aid services for poor people. I know some people doing stuff like working at an LGBT rights firm and a group that does microfinancing in Africa. If you're working in public interest, WUSTL gives you a $3000 stipend.

Some people are interning for judges. There are some programs that match students with judges, but most I think just found the addresses of judges and sent out resumes and cover letters.

Also, some people, myself included, are working as research assistants for professors. We get paid (not much) and it comes with some cool perks, including being able to have flexible hours and show up for work in a t-shirt. The professor I'm working for takes his RAs to lunch once a week and sometimes brings along lawyers to network with and get advice from. I know of a professor taking her RAs to a conference in NYC. Usually, RA position openings will get sent to students in e-mails and you just go interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:18 am

0LNewbie wrote:I know this has been addressed at some point in this thread, but I'm just too lazy to go find it.

Can someone explain the gym situation? From what I recall there is a weights room, but then there is some kind of separate facility that has treadmills? And you have to pay separately for that? How about basketball? And when do we sign up for these additional fees, if that's the situation?

Thanks.
The GYM Graduate students(This includes the lawl skool) have access is decidely meh, most of the cardio equipment is rusty and dated, most students who are serious get memberships to private gyms off campus. I go to a gym a few blocks my place.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:18 am

0LNewbie wrote:I know this has been addressed at some point in this thread, but I'm just too lazy to go find it.

Thanks.
The GYM Graduate students(This includes the lawl skool) have access to is decidely meh, and it costs money to use. most of the cardio equipment is rusty and dated, most students who are serious get memberships to private gyms off campus. I go to a gym a few blocks my place.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:20 am

Ah, that's too bad. It's so cheap that I was really hoping it would be a viable option.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:24 pm

0LNewbie wrote:Ah, that's too bad. It's so cheap that I was really hoping it would be a viable option.
It is a viable option. Its spartan, but it has basically everything you need. I usually work out there about 3 times a week.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:20 pm

Oh, good! I guess I'll just have to check it out.

Youppi315

New

Post by Youppi315 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:54 pm

Do any of you know about the judicial clerkship clinic; how hard it is to get in, what the success rate is of finding a judge, and how many go on to clerk (at any level but I'm most interested in AIII)? Thanks!

uchimata

New

Post by uchimata » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:00 am

A specific question about the school gym? Does it have a power rack(s)? Don't care so much about cardio equipment but if it has a power rack I'll be satisfied.

Also, is there a resource/web site that has reviews of landlord experiences? I've dealt with some shady landlords and want to do make sure the landlord is reputable before signing a lease.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:21 pm

uchimata wrote:A specific question about the school gym? Does it have a power rack(s)? Don't care so much about cardio equipment but if it has a power rack I'll be satisfied.

Also, is there a resource/web site that has reviews of landlord experiences? I've dealt with some shady landlords and want to do make sure the landlord is reputable before signing a lease.
Dunno about your first question but there was something along those lines on our admitted students page on the wustl website last year - gave comments on most of the major landlords and companies that people use. I'd scour the school website, I'm sure it's still there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm going to be in STL tomorrow looking at some places through Baron Realty. This question might be landlord specific or something, but I didn't think to ask and unfortunately I won't be able to ask them until tomorrow during business hours, when I will already be on my way. So here's the question: can I place a deposit with a credit card (could really use those student loans right about now)? Also, is a usual deposit still 2 months rent?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Kabuo wrote:I'm going to be in STL tomorrow looking at some places through Baron Realty. This question might be landlord specific or something, but I didn't think to ask and unfortunately I won't be able to ask them until tomorrow during business hours, when I will already be on my way. So here's the question: can I place a deposit with a credit card (could really use those student loans right about now)? Also, is a usual deposit still 2 months rent?
I did my deposit with my credit card with quadrangle. It's definitely specific to each landlord. None of them seemed to accept cash from what I saw though. If you can, bring your checkbook.

None of the deposits I saw seemed to be two months rent. They were all random.

Barron's a dick but he's got some good properties.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:25 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Barron's a dick but he's got some good properties.
I'm interested in why you say this because I thought my experience was good until they ran my application and it was a pain the butt being a student. Lots of run-around. I thought their apartments were some of the nicest I checked out, though.
I didn't have any personal experience with it, but at the housing day a few different people complained about things he did that made no sense and inconvenienced him, seemingly to inflate his ego.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sambeber

Bronze

Post by sambeber » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:50 am

n/a
Last edited by sambeber on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

tls_je

New

Post by tls_je » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:25 pm

Where do you buy furniture? Is there any place that does delivery?

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:49 pm

tls_je wrote:Where do you buy furniture? Is there any place that does delivery?
I'm hoping to find a lot of stuff on Craigslist, but I'll just have a little midsized car so won't be able to have anything huge in it obviously. I'm sure there are people with pickups that will take beer bribes.

I've also been looking at CORT, which is a furniture rental company. They sell their furniture after its rented for a significant markdown and they do deliver. I figure it's probably a bit better than buying straight used since they clean their furniture after it gets back.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:19 pm

sambeber wrote:Can any current students comment on what the cable/internet provider options are? (and if possible, positive or negative experiences)
Charter, most people hate charter, like to the point of sending mail bombs hate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”