WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 4442
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:45 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:If the same employer is coming to multiple programs, should we bid them for both or only one?


Bid them for both, and contact career services if and when you get a screener so they can remove your bid for the other one if necessary.

User avatar
aspire2esquire
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:55 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby aspire2esquire » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 pm

How much of an uphill battle is it to jump to another STL law firm with yucky second semester grades? Please do not quote.

chingwoo
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby chingwoo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:49 pm

^ Probably depends on if you have ties and whether you are trying to make a Spencer Fane-> Dowd Bennett move or an Armstrong Teasdale to Husch move.

spacebro
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby spacebro » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:17 am

Hey guys,

Thoughts on living in Everly on the Loop? Thanks!

G41u5
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby G41u5 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:35 am

Anyone have any thoughts on Richards' Information Privacy Law class? What is the workload like? The alternative is Osgood's Trusts and Estates.

frozen_tundra9
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby frozen_tundra9 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:12 pm

How hard would it be to find a place to live if I just showed up in the beginning of August without having signed a lease yet? Particularly if I was looking to live with roommate(s), in the Debaliviere or University City area?

User avatar
w00kash
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:22 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby w00kash » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:19 pm

frozen_tundra9 wrote:How hard would it be to find a place to live if I just showed up in the beginning of August without having signed a lease yet? Particularly if I was looking to live with roommate(s), in the Debaliviere or University City area?


Might be harder with the roommates bit, I'm really not sure. But generally speaking it is very easy to find housing in STL on short notice in most parts of town. Beginning of August isn't even that short of notice, in fact.

acr
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby acr » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:32 pm

G41u5 wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Richards' Information Privacy Law class? What is the workload like? The alternative is Osgood's Trusts and Estates.


Recommend taking Osgood's Trust & Estate while it's available. Richards is fantastic but teaches Privacy fairly regularly, and the chances to take a class with Osgood (Wash U's best prof imo) are few and far between.

littlekidlover
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:02 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby littlekidlover » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:31 pm

spacebro wrote:Hey guys,

Thoughts on living in Everly on the Loop? Thanks!


Interested in responses to this as well, if anyone has two cents to throw in. I just signed a lease there.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 4442
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:24 pm

That's a new building, right? Delmar is a very heavily trafficked area and well policed; you should be safe there. I would be careful about venturing either North or East more than a few blocks, though.

It's very convenient, and Delmar is great. I think it's a fine place to live.

chingwoo
Posts: 332
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby chingwoo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:11 am

littlekidlover wrote:
spacebro wrote:Hey guys,

Thoughts on living in Everly on the Loop? Thanks!


Interested in responses to this as well, if anyone has two cents to throw in. I just signed a lease there.


Location is good since there is a shuttle to campus.

However for the price range and similar amenities, it probably would be better to live in the Koman development in CWE. For this building, you will be paying 1.5-2x more than living in an apartment closer to school.

littlekidlover
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:02 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby littlekidlover » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks for the responses! Agree that it probably wasn't the cheapest option, but the whole package checked off a lot of boxes for me.

Also, I read most of this enormous thread to get a sense of WashU Law, so thanks to everyone who kept things entertaining. Looking forward to the fall!

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby waldorf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:36 pm

How annoying will the commute from downtown be?

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 4442
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:47 pm

bwaldorf wrote:How annoying will the commute from downtown be?


Given the recent restrictions on parking availability, if you didn't get a parking permit via the lottery, I can imagine parking being a pain.

Other than that, you'd have to deal with rush hour sometimes, but STL rush hour is nowhere near as bad as major city rush hour.

User avatar
waldorf
Posts: 2376
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby waldorf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:19 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:How annoying will the commute from downtown be?


Given the recent restrictions on parking availability, if you didn't get a parking permit via the lottery, I can imagine parking being a pain.

Other than that, you'd have to deal with rush hour sometimes, but STL rush hour is nowhere near as bad as major city rush hour.


Thanks! I did get a parking permit but wooooow is it expensive! The one I had for undergrad was 1/10th of the price.

User avatar
Joscellin
Posts: 1357
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:40 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Joscellin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:51 pm

bwaldorf wrote:How annoying will the commute from downtown be?


I lived downtown during 1L - would have hated it without my car and parking permit. With those two though, I really liked it. More bang for your buck space wise than around campus and plenty of food and such around. Definitely look before jumping in though - some areas are a bit sketch, but there's some really nice buildings.

Public transit can work - but it's not a fun commute when carrying textbooks. It would have been better if I had been closer to the stop though.

Worth noting - if you're younger and/or single, campus area is probably a better bet. I moved there with my SO and so missing out on some of the nearby social scene didn't hurt.

jhc14
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:06 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby jhc14 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Hey guys! I'm an incoming 1L. So from what I've found online, it looks like I wont find out my class schedule, section or professors until August. Is there anything I can be doing to prepare for the semester until then? I'd like to start getting my books as well, but I will need my courses to do that. Id' appreciate any tips you have!

acr
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby acr » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:52 pm

jhc14 wrote:Hey guys! I'm an incoming 1L. So from what I've found online, it looks like I wont find out my class schedule, section or professors until August. Is there anything I can be doing to prepare for the semester until then? I'd like to start getting my books as well, but I will need my courses to do that. Id' appreciate any tips you have!


Not much you can do. Standard advice is to read Getting to Maybe, but even then I don't think it's that valuable until you have a more solid understanding of how law school works. I understand the nagging feeling to "do something" in preparation, but I would take this last month to fully enjoy yourself. Coming in with a rested, fresh mind is probably the best thing you can do for yourself.

User avatar
LET'S GET IT
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby LET'S GET IT » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:47 am

acr wrote:
jhc14 wrote:Hey guys! I'm an incoming 1L. So from what I've found online, it looks like I wont find out my class schedule, section or professors until August. Is there anything I can be doing to prepare for the semester until then? I'd like to start getting my books as well, but I will need my courses to do that. Id' appreciate any tips you have!


Not much you can do. Standard advice is to read Getting to Maybe, but even then I don't think it's that valuable until you have a more solid understanding of how law school works. I understand the nagging feeling to "do something" in preparation, but I would take this last month to fully enjoy yourself. Coming in with a rested, fresh mind is probably the best thing you can do for yourself.


I would second this. Relax and enjoy your summer. I know it's not a satisfying answer, but it's the right answer.


acr
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby acr » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:21 pm



lol 1.96? Not even sure that's possible. Might be a typo by the registrar (i.e. should be 2.96?) but idk. I feel like you would have to write something deliberately insulting and off topic to get a freakin 1.96 at wash u

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 4442
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby PeanutsNJam » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:36 pm

Isn't 2.5 the lowest you can get, after which you get an F? Not sure though.

bmmccb223
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:58 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby bmmccb223 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:22 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Isn't 2.5 the lowest you can get, after which you get an F? Not sure though.


The registrar must have changed their policy (or made an exception) because someone in Prof. Kim's Civil Procedure class got a 2.32...

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 17119
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:48 pm

bmmccb223 wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Isn't 2.5 the lowest you can get, after which you get an F? Not sure though.


The registrar must have changed their policy (or made an exception) because someone in Prof. Kim's Civil Procedure class got a 2.32...


More points on the curve for everyone else.

User avatar
Jmart082
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Jmart082 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:09 pm

sublime wrote:
bmmccb223 wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Isn't 2.5 the lowest you can get, after which you get an F? Not sure though.


The registrar must have changed their policy (or made an exception) because someone in Prof. Kim's Civil Procedure class got a 2.32...


More points on the curve for everyone else.

I assure you that the poor bastard(s) who screwed the pooch that hard in either of those classes is having a serious existential crisis this summer.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AKQ2017, cavalier1138, fuuuuutureeeee, principalagent and 5 guests