WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
soccerfreak

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby soccerfreak » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:30 pm

Just to be clear, we have absolutely no say about what professors we get our first year, correct?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:18 pm

tls_je wrote:Is it dangerous to walk around University City at night?
I was thinking about living there (Kingsland, Kingsbury, or Delmar), but someone just told me that it is a dangerous area and she recommended Central West End. Is it that much dangerous?

Are apartments usually furnished?

Thanks!
Depends on whether you're smart about where you go. There are certain areas that are heavily patrolled by WashU security between the Loop and the school, and they're fine at pretty much any hour. I go running between the Loop and campus (or just wander the Loop) between 10 and midnight all the time and have never seen anything sketchy. Probably different for girls though, just as a disclaimer.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Any current students want to comment on this "Go WUSTL" business? Is it worth messing with? Does anyone use it for messaging?

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:49 pm

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:57 pm

I can't get Go WUSTL to work right. I can send emails out, but any email sent to my regular wustl.edu email address is bounced back. The go.wustl.edu address works though.
Last edited by Hannibal on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Hannibal wrote:I can't get Go WUSTL to work right. I can send emails out, but any emails sent to my regular wustl.edu email address is bounced back. The go.wustl.edu address works though.
I detest the school email system.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:31 pm

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:26 am

I also cannot send email to my @WUSTL.edu address.

blackmambakatana

Postby blackmambakatana » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Anybody living in Quadrangle Housing last year or this year? Which places would be the best to stay in? The Yelp reviews of these places don't sound that great but I'll live in there for convenience.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:00 pm

blackmambakatana wrote:Anybody living in Quadrangle Housing last year or this year? Which places would be the best to stay in? The Yelp reviews of these places don't sound that great but I'll live in there for convenience.
I live in the Castlereagh property, and there are about 5-10 other law students there as well. The actual building's pretty old and not that great, but they're slowly renovating and I honestly like the apartment itself - pretty good size, in decent shape, and cheap as hell when you factor in the included utilities/cable/internet. Plus it's nice to be able to roll out 10 minutes before class starts and make it on time leave the building at 9:08 and only be 10 minutes late to class :oops:

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:11 am

So can I get the spark notes on orientation?

myq

Postby myq » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:17 am

soccerfreak wrote:So can I get the spark notes on orientation?

Come in late, there's a room called the "overflow room."

stolli

Postby stolli » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:54 pm

stratocophic wrote:
blackmambakatana wrote:Anybody living in Quadrangle Housing last year or this year? Which places would be the best to stay in? The Yelp reviews of these places don't sound that great but I'll live in there for convenience.
I live in the Castlereagh property, and there are about 5-10 other law students there as well. The actual building's pretty old and not that great, but they're slowly renovating and I honestly like the apartment itself - pretty good size, in decent shape, and cheap as hell when you factor in the included utilities/cable/internet. Plus it's nice to be able to roll out 10 minutes before class starts and make it on time leave the building at 9:08 and only be 10 minutes late to class :oops:

these is the WUSTL grad housing correct? the 10 minutes away from class sounds very appealing. Any idea how much rent is generally for a studio or 1bd/1bath? how is the parking situation there?

im from california and coming to visit july 7ish. do i have to make an appointment to check em out?

thanks guys for the awsome advice! lovin this thread

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:59 pm

I just did this process. Their studios are pretty cheap and many are large (bigger than one of the one bedrooms I checked out in CWE). The location is great at least in terms of being close to night life and the school, though I can't testify to crime. You can see the prices and floor plans on the Quadrangle site (offcampushousing.wustl.edu), where you can also make an appointment and apply for a lease I believe. You will probably need an appointment to see a unit you're interested in, but you can still sign a lease for a place without an appointment.

stolli

Postby stolli » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:03 pm

there are three different places on the site. The university city one is the closest correct?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:46 pm

stolli wrote:there are three different places on the site. The university city one is the closest correct?

Yeah, but they're not really places so much as areas. University City housing is a ton of different buildings.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:47 pm

Last edited by bouakedojo on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackmambakatana

Postby blackmambakatana » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:00 am

Do 1Ls in WashU get summer associate positions?

myq

Postby myq » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:43 am

blackmambakatana wrote:Do 1Ls in WashU get summer associate positions?

Not really. I know several people in the top 5% who didn't get any SA positions. However, there is a 1L OCI and some people get positions. A lot of them are special diversity programs.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:46 am

blackmambakatana wrote:Do 1Ls in WashU get summer associate positions?

I only know 3 (actually maybe only 2) non-URMs who got NLJ 250 summer associate jobs as 1Ls, and I only know of a handful of URMs who got them (like myq said, there are some diversity programs and fellowships available so it is a lot easier to get one as a URM, but still pretty competitive). 1L SAs are just so hard to come by, even for students at the most elite schools. A lot of firms have slashed their 1L program entirely, or only have one spot available. A lot of them still interview just to keep face, but again, there are often just one or two SA slots for dozens of interviwees.

We have a 1L OCI, but no one should rely on it for a 1L job. Even if you have ridiculously good grades and great softs, you shouldn't rely on it. The CSO has some programs and will help you as much as possible, but finding a job for your 1L summer will mostly be on you, so be prepared to take the initiative and hit the pavement.

In a sick and twisted way, it is kind of a fun process though.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:... I only know of a handful of URMs who got them (like myq said, there are some diversity programs and fellowships available so it is a lot easier to get one as a URM, but still pretty competitive).

"A lot easier" is a huge overstatement. For any diversity program you are competing against EVERY qualified interested minority candidate in the country for ONE position at a firm. And some of the applications seriously, I am not exaggerating, ask you to write a fresh writing sample that is the same amount of work as our open memo was. I would revise "pretty competitive" to "fucking cut throat." Yes URMs have a different/additional avenue to pursue, which is advantageous in terms of opportunity, but easier it aint.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:07 pm

soccerfreak wrote:So can I get the spark notes on orientation?

go to day 1. skip the rest for drinking. might be your last chance to have fun and/or sex.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:42 pm

stolli wrote:these is the WUSTL grad housing correct? the 10 minutes away from class sounds very appealing. Any idea how much rent is generally for a studio or 1bd/1bath? how is the parking situation there?

im from california and coming to visit july 7ish. do i have to make an appointment to check em out?

thanks guys for the awsome advice! lovin this thread

Where exactly are you looking? I can give you some feedback on the areas/streets you're looking.

blackmambakatana

Postby blackmambakatana » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:37 pm

I'm looking at Castlereagh Apartments because the free utilities/internet/cable is really enticing. I know someone posted one thing about it on the top but would anyone have extra insight about the place?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”