WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Is it true that grades play no role in getting law review? That's atypical, right?

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Never mind. The website implied that writing on was the only way, but the truth was buried on page 2 of the FAQ doc. I didn't think write-on only would be the case...

User avatar
ihp12
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby ihp12 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:25 am

Trying to plan for ASD. How long would it take to go from the airport to downtown on the metrolink? How long from downtown to Wash U?

Thanks

User avatar
ihp12
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby ihp12 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:44 am

ihp12 wrote:Trying to plan for ASD. How long would it take to go from the airport to downtown on the metrolink? How long from downtown to Wash U?

Thanks


NVM - google maps

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:29 pm

So, I've noticed the grading scale seems to be a little different at WUSTL... 75-100 grades, or something like that, where 95 or above puts you in the top 1% and 89 or above is top 1/3. What is the effect of having a much higher number of grade possibilities? I'm sure that statistically it works out to be the same, but I'd think it'd be nice to be able to get a 91, 92 etc. and not worry about the difference between a B+ and an A.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:49 pm

0LNewbie wrote:So, I've noticed the grading scale seems to be a little different at WUSTL... 75-100 grades, or something like that, where 95 or above puts you in the top 1% and 89 or above is top 1/3. What is the effect of having a much higher number of grade possibilities? I'm sure that statistically it works out to be the same, but I'd think it'd be nice to be able to get a 91, 92 etc. and not worry about the difference between a B+ and an A.

We don't really have letter grades, it is more just based on numbers. In any given class, it is absolutely possible to get grades like 91, 92, 93, etc. 87.5 is the median grade in most classes. Very few profs will give out grades in the upper 90s or 100 it seems like. I can comment more on grade distributions once some of my professors get them back. Apparently it takes law profs over a month to grade 100 exams, despite the fact that they have no classes to teach right now, so it could be a while.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:So, I've noticed the grading scale seems to be a little different at WUSTL... 75-100 grades, or something like that, where 95 or above puts you in the top 1% and 89 or above is top 1/3. What is the effect of having a much higher number of grade possibilities? I'm sure that statistically it works out to be the same, but I'd think it'd be nice to be able to get a 91, 92 etc. and not worry about the difference between a B+ and an A.

We don't really have letter grades, it is more just based on numbers. In any given class, it is absolutely possible to get grades like 91, 92, 93, etc. 87.5 is the median grade in most classes. Very few profs will give out grades in the upper 90s or 100 it seems like. I can comment more on grade distributions once some of my professors get them back. Apparently it takes law profs over a month to grade 100 exams, despite the fact that they have no classes to teach right now, so it could be a while.


My bitterness radar is going crazy. :D

Here's hoping I'm in the same spot in a year.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:33 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:So, I've noticed the grading scale seems to be a little different at WUSTL... 75-100 grades, or something like that, where 95 or above puts you in the top 1% and 89 or above is top 1/3. What is the effect of having a much higher number of grade possibilities? I'm sure that statistically it works out to be the same, but I'd think it'd be nice to be able to get a 91, 92 etc. and not worry about the difference between a B+ and an A.

We don't really have letter grades, it is more just based on numbers. In any given class, it is absolutely possible to get grades like 91, 92, 93, etc. 87.5 is the median grade in most classes. Very few profs will give out grades in the upper 90s or 100 it seems like. I can comment more on grade distributions once some of my professors get them back. Apparently it takes law profs over a month to grade 100 exams, despite the fact that they have no classes to teach right now, so it could be a while.


My bitterness radar is going crazy. :D

Haha nah, its just a looooong stressful wait. Check out the 1L Grade Waiting thread, people are going nuts over there. I have actually been able to maintain my patience pretty well (through copious amounts of X-Box and partying with old friends), but I'm really starting to get anxious!

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby beachbum » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:So, I've noticed the grading scale seems to be a little different at WUSTL... 75-100 grades, or something like that, where 95 or above puts you in the top 1% and 89 or above is top 1/3. What is the effect of having a much higher number of grade possibilities? I'm sure that statistically it works out to be the same, but I'd think it'd be nice to be able to get a 91, 92 etc. and not worry about the difference between a B+ and an A.

We don't really have letter grades, it is more just based on numbers. In any given class, it is absolutely possible to get grades like 91, 92, 93, etc. 87.5 is the median grade in most classes. Very few profs will give out grades in the upper 90s or 100 it seems like. I can comment more on grade distributions once some of my professors get them back. Apparently it takes law profs over a month to grade 100 exams, despite the fact that they have no classes to teach right now, so it could be a while.


My bitterness radar is going crazy. :D

Haha nah, its just a looooong stressful wait. Check out the 1L Grade Waiting thread, people are going nuts over there. I have actually been able to maintain my patience pretty well (through copious amounts of X-Box and partying with old friends), but I'm really starting to get anxious!


Good luck man, I'm pullin for you. Those little doubts about WUSTL are gonna seem silly when you land in the top 10%.

User avatar
ihp12
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby ihp12 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Whats the gym situation at WUSTL? Is there an indoor track? Showers and Lockers? How close is it to the law school?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:49 pm

ihp12 wrote:Whats the gym situation at WUSTL? Is there an indoor track? Showers and Lockers? How close is it to the law school?

WUSTL's workout facility and tennis courts are right by the law school (like a 1 minute walk). The gym/weightroom and all that jazz is decent, but nothing spectacular. It doesn't compare favorably to, say, UIUC or anything like that, but it is acceptable. The tennis courts are really nice and they are right next to the LS, if you're into that.

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Romo, saw your post in the 1L grades... nice work so far!

User avatar
ihp12
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby ihp12 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:03 pm

romothesavior wrote:
ihp12 wrote:Whats the gym situation at WUSTL? Is there an indoor track? Showers and Lockers? How close is it to the law school?

WUSTL's workout facility and tennis courts are right by the law school (like a 1 minute walk). The gym/weightroom and all that jazz is decent, but nothing spectacular. It doesn't compare favorably to, say, UIUC or anything like that, but it is acceptable. The tennis courts are really nice and they are right next to the LS, if you're into that.


Thanks

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:41 pm

What schools does WUSTL consider to be its peers for scholarship negotiation purposes? I've noticed that Indiana-Bloomington is pretty liberal with scholarship money for 170+ LSATs... is that too far down for them to care? How about Iowa?

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:41 pm

I've been wondering about Wash U's local prospects in Stl. Does it seem to pretty much dominate the local legal market over schools like SLU and Mizzou (I've heard conflicting reports)? And is it fairly easy for students who want to stay local to find internships/jobs?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:09 pm

soccerfreak wrote:I've been wondering about Wash U's local prospects in Stl. Does it seem to pretty much dominate the local legal market over schools like SLU and Mizzou (I've heard conflicting reports)? And is it fairly easy for students who want to stay local to find internships/jobs?

I came here because I want to be in St. Louis after graduation. I have not gone through OCI and have only just begun to look for 1L jobs, so I don't have a great answer to this simply due to a lack of experience with the job market. But here is my general impression:

Does WUSTL dominate St. Louis? No, but this is more due to self-selection than anything else. My classmates hail from places like Chicago, Kansas City, New York, Florida, Texas, etc. and most of them want to go back. For those who do want to stay in St. Louis, what is important is showing local employers that they really want to stay here and are not just treating it as a backup plan in case going home doesn't work out. For people with strong ties here (family, grew up here, fiancee/spouse works here, etc.), I think getting St. Louis is very doable. For people like me who are just Midwesterners who love St. Louis, it takes more work, but then again, so does getting any job ITE.

WUSTL's second best market is St. Louis (after Chicago), and the myth that St. Louis employers don't like WUSTL students is just wrong. Also, there is no doubt that big/mid sized firms are much, much more likely to take a WUSTL student than one from SLU or Mizzou because they will recruit far deeper into our class.

So in short, WUSTL is a good choice if you want St. Louis, and unless you were looking at sticker at WUSTL vs. free at SLU, I would never personally consider SLU over WUSTL.

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:I've been wondering about Wash U's local prospects in Stl. Does it seem to pretty much dominate the local legal market over schools like SLU and Mizzou (I've heard conflicting reports)? And is it fairly easy for students who want to stay local to find internships/jobs?

I came here because I want to be in St. Louis after graduation. I have not gone through OCI and have only just begun to look for 1L jobs, so I don't have a great answer to this simply due to a lack of experience with the job market. But here is my general impression:

Does WUSTL dominate St. Louis? No, but this is more due to self-selection than anything else. My classmates hail from places like Chicago, Kansas City, New York, Florida, Texas, etc. and most of them want to go back. For those who do want to stay in St. Louis, what is important is showing local employers that they really want to stay here and are not just treating it as a backup plan in case going home doesn't work out. For people with strong ties here (family, grew up here, fiancee/spouse works here, etc.), I think getting St. Louis is very doable. For people like me who are just Midwesterners who love St. Louis, it takes more work, but then again, so does getting any job ITE.

WUSTL's second best market is St. Louis (after Chicago), and the myth that St. Louis employers don't like WUSTL students is just wrong. Also, there is no doubt that big/mid sized firms are much, much more likely to take a WUSTL student than one from SLU or Mizzou because they will recruit far deeper into our class.

So in short, WUSTL is a good choice if you want St. Louis, and unless you were looking at sticker at WUSTL vs. free at SLU, I would never personally consider SLU over WUSTL.

Okay thanks for the insight. I have grown up in the area, so ties aren't a problem for me. I think my decision is going to come down to money at Wash U(whatever 169/3.8 gets me), free at Mizzou, and sticker/small $ at somewhere like Michigan. If Wash U seems like a really good bet for a job here, it will probably be the best fit.

I'd love to be updated about yours/others situations with looking for jobs/internships. When is OCI?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:30 pm

soccerfreak wrote:Okay thanks for the insight. I have grown up in the area, so ties aren't a problem for me. I think my decision is going to come down to money at Wash U(whatever 169/3.8 gets me), free at Mizzou, and sticker/small $ at somewhere like Michigan. If Wash U seems like a really good bet for a job here, it will probably be the best fit.

I'd love to be updated about yours/others situations with looking for jobs/internships. When is OCI?

FWIW, 3.8/169 will get you close to a full ride. I was 3.7/168 and got 75k total. I'll bet you'll get around 90-100k.

User avatar
neeko
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby neeko » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:35 pm

tag

User avatar
JDndMSW
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby JDndMSW » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:07 pm

neeko wrote:tag

+1

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby soccerfreak » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:22 pm

neeko wrote:tag

You're it, quitsies, no anti-quitsies, double stamp it.

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby soccerfreak » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:04 pm

I'll probably be making a visit very soon. Is there a particular day of the week/class to sit in on that as a student would be best to get a feel for the school?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:06 pm

soccerfreak wrote:I'll probably be making a visit very soon. Is there a particular day of the week/class to sit in on that as a student would be best to get a feel for the school?

Hard to say because I'm a 1L and I haven't started my second semester yet. I would have said torts with Tamanaha cause he is absolutely fantastic, but that was a fall class. The admissions office will put you in a class when you visit, but I suppose you might be able to request a particular one if you have a certain interest.

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby thexfactor » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Speaking about grades....
2/3L here: I still have not all my grades yet. Only 2/5. Most of the 2L/3L class have not gotten all their grades either. This is getting ridiculous. It doesn't take over 1 month to grade and enter exams into a database......

modmx
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:27 pm

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby modmx » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:15 am

Actually, I took it in June. This also got me off the waitlist (with $$) at Vandy.


180orbust, if youre still reading this thread, can you elaborate more on how you were able to increase your scholarship offer with WUSTL through this? I am also waitlisted at Vandy and considering taking the June LSAT to make a case for any waitlists I get

And anyone else who would like to help, how lenient will WUSTL be in negotiating a scholarship in July if I get a higher score on my June LSAT. currently at 167 and accepted




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: General_Tso and 3 guests