WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by call-me-bubbles » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:36 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Wustl is also open to negotiation, so take your T14 acceptances to them and see if they'll play ball.

imissobama278

New

Post by imissobama278 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:10 pm

If you already have an offer for close to a full ride from WUSTL, would it be weird to ask them to bump it up to a full ride? I kind of want to, but I don't want to look ridiculous.

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:16 pm

imissobama278 wrote:If you already have an offer for close to a full ride from WUSTL, would it be weird to ask them to bump it up to a full ride? I kind of want to, but I don't want to look ridiculous.
Definitely not ridiculous to try and minimize debt as much as possible. It's sensible. Also, it gets harder to renegotiate after matriculation. Just prepare thoroughly and ask them for more. The worst that can happen is that they'll say no.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:34 pm

What can the average WashU law grad expect in the job market? It's hard to tell if there is a typical outcome based off of LST (28.5% big law, 32% Missouri, but it's scattered after that).

I am from STL and they gave me a large scholarship, so WashU is attractive. But I'd like to do corporate lit (I think....still an ignorant 0L). Also not sure if I want to spend my career in STL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:53 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Wustl is also open to negotiation, so take your T14 acceptances to them and see if they'll play ball.
Do I need to wait for a scholarship offer from a t14 school, or can I send a letter now saying "I was admitted to these schools, can you please increase my money etc."

MtheG

New

Post by MtheG » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:46 pm

somedeadman wrote:What can the average WashU law grad expect in the job market? It's hard to tell if there is a typical outcome based off of LST (28.5% big law, 32% Missouri, but it's scattered after that).

I am from STL and they gave me a large scholarship, so WashU is attractive. But I'd like to do corporate lit (I think....still an ignorant 0L). Also not sure if I want to spend my career in STL.
Last reported class is 2015 but link is still good: http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/em ... y-2015.pdf

It's hard to tell where an "average" WUSTL student ends up because employment outcomes are largely based on self-selection.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:21 pm

somedeadman wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Wustl is also open to negotiation, so take your T14 acceptances to them and see if they'll play ball.
Do I need to wait for a scholarship offer from a t14 school, or can I send a letter now saying "I was admitted to these schools, can you please increase my money etc."
You could send it now, but it would be more persuasive with T14 $ offers.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:19 pm

MtheG wrote:
somedeadman wrote:What can the average WashU law grad expect in the job market? It's hard to tell if there is a typical outcome based off of LST (28.5% big law, 32% Missouri, but it's scattered after that).

Last reported class is 2015 but link is still good: http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/em ... y-2015.pdf

It's hard to tell where an "average" WUSTL student ends up because employment outcomes are largely based on self-selection.
Hmm wonder if HR depts at firms would be willing to answer a pesky 0L's questions...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:20 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Might send one now, and then send another (if) I get money. Thoughts?

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:21 pm

somedeadman wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Go for it. A simple "hey just wanted to update you with an offer I got" e-mail should do the trick. Good luck.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:14 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Go for it. A simple "hey just wanted to update you with an offer I got" e-mail should do the trick. Good luck.
Wait, so I wouldn't even need to ask for more money at this point?

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:55 am

somedeadman wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Sorry, I was saying if you sent a negotiation e-mail prior to getting an offer, you could do the update e-mail once you get an offer if you haven't heard back yet. Should have made that more clear.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:03 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Sorry, I was saying if you sent a negotiation e-mail prior to getting an offer, you could do the update e-mail once you get an offer if you haven't heard back yet. Should have made that more clear.
Okay, just to be clear:

(Already received an offer from WashU btw)

Send email with update about t14 schools I have gotten into. Talk about how I am debt adverse, so a larger scholarship from WashU would be enticing.
Time passes/wait for a response/wait to hear offers from other schools
Continue the negotiations

Sound correct?

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:54 pm

somedeadman wrote:
Okay, just to be clear:

Send email with update about t14 schools I have gotten into. Talk about how I am debt adverse, so a larger scholarship from WashU would be enticing.

Sound correct?
Basically yes.

One thing to know is that you probably get the best results if you are willing to walk away, and say so. I negotiated a number of offers, and I got to the final offers most places not by negotiating, but simply by withdrawing my application with a letter noting that while i appreciated their offer, I had been offered $X at School Y, and felt that I couldn't justify the expense at their school. Now the risk is that they just let you withdraw, but if they want you, they'll come back with a "Hey, we understand your situation, we talked to the Aid Committee and can offer you and extra $Z in scholarship"
I ended up at WUSTL, but I got an offer from a T-14 that was significantly above most people with my numbers by withdrawing and citing my WUSTL scholarship. I decided not to take it, but the offer was a significant increase on top of a previous increase I had gotten by negotiating with WUSTL's first offer.
So when negotiating, it's best to decide ahead of time what number is the line below which you're willing to walk away from each of your admissions.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:43 am

Cellar-door wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Okay, just to be clear:

Sound correct?
Basically yes.

One thing to know is that you probably get the best results if you are willing to walk away, and say so. I negotiated a number of offers, and I got to the final offers most places not by negotiating, but simply by withdrawing my application with a letter noting that while i appreciated their offer, I had been offered $X at School Y, and felt that I couldn't justify the expense at their school. Now the risk is that they just let you withdraw, but if they want you, they'll come back with a "Hey, we understand your situation, we talked to the Aid Committee and can offer you and extra $Z in scholarship"
I ended up at WUSTL, but I got an offer from a T-14 that was significantly above most people with my numbers by withdrawing and citing my WUSTL scholarship. I decided not to take it, but the offer was a significant increase on top of a previous increase I had gotten by negotiating with WUSTL's first offer.
So when negotiating, it's best to decide ahead of time what number is the line below which you're willing to walk away from each of your admissions.
That is some awesome advice!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:22 pm

Friendly advice: Keep in mind that admissions officers read this thread (and other similar threads).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:54 pm

What would it take for a grad to get NYC or Chicago big law? Median grades? Top 25%? I realize this question has probably been asked before but on my phone and don't really want to scroll through pages. Thanks in advance!

MtheG

New

Post by MtheG » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Chipotle85 wrote:What would it take for a grad to get NYC or Chicago big law? Median grades? Top 25%? I realize this question has probably been asked before but on my phone and don't really want to scroll through pages. Thanks in advance!
Top third will get you screeners in both cities at Am Law 100 firms. I know one person who is just top third at Kirkland Chi but the majority of people who score NYC and Chi are top 25% or better. Top third will get you something pretty good but the mega firms in NYC and Chi do not go deep into the WUSTL class for candidates. Unless you are top 20% you should blanket everywhere with applications. WUSTL is good but there is no guarantee.

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:17 pm

MtheG wrote:
Chipotle85 wrote:What would it take for a grad to get NYC or Chicago big law? Median grades? Top 25%? I realize this question has probably been asked before but on my phone and don't really want to scroll through pages. Thanks in advance!
Top third will get you screeners in both cities at Am Law 100 firms. I know one person who is just top third at Kirkland Chi but the majority of people who score NYC and Chi are top 25% or better. Top third will get you something pretty good but the mega firms in NYC and Chi do not go deep into the WUSTL class for candidates. Unless you are top 20% you should blanket everywhere with applications. WUSTL is good but there is no guarantee.
Thank you! That's very helpful

bluedolphin

New

Post by bluedolphin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:20 pm

MtheG wrote:
Top third will get you screeners but a low amount of them. You probably want to be at least ~20% to get a significant amount of screeners.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:27 pm

bluedolphin wrote:
MtheG wrote:
Top third will get you screeners but a low amount of them. You probably want to be at least ~20% to get a significant amount of screeners.

MtheG

New

Post by MtheG » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:15 pm

This is purely anecdotal but it seems like top third will get you 12-15 screeners through school OCI programs. If you mass mail to any good degree, you can get another 7-10.

bluedolphin

New

Post by bluedolphin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:19 pm

MtheG wrote:This is purely anecdotal but it seems like top third will get you 12-15 screeners through school OCI programs. If you mass mail to any good degree, you can get another 7-10.
Yeah I should have qualified my post to New York and Chicago.

It also helps if you are from the Midwest since that helps somewhat with some of the firms that come here.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:30 pm

Top third can and has gotten NYC/Chi/DC biglaw, but it's through serious networking/hustle and not so much OCI. If you're outside top 25, only doing OCI and not mass mailing/networking/hustling is a great way to strike out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”