WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sambeber

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby sambeber » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:59 am

FWIW top 10% automatically grades on (with a good-faith effort at the write-on) to a publication of their choice.

--LinkRemoved-- (page 2)

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:33 pm

Kabuo wrote:Could any of you provide a rough breakdown of employment prospects at various percentiles in the class? This is what I gather based on TLS browsing, but I would love to be corrected.

Top 1% (I imagine the world is their oyster)
Top 5% (close to top 1, less prestigious firms/clerkships?)
Top 10% (maybe makes sense to transfer if no LR?)
Top 25% (reasonable shot at biglaw?)
Top 33% (hustle/connections might land biglaw?)
Median (Small law/midlaw if lucky, and probably hustle a lot?)
Below Median (Go back to your hometown and take any job you can get?)

I also have no idea what cutoffs would be for PI/DOJ stuff. Is PI less about grades and more about you doing lots of PI in school/internships?
From what I've seen/heard/experienced: Top 5% will get you just about all the prestige you can handle (interviews with V10s & V20s), but maybe not like Cravath if suits every day and screaming partners is your thing. Top 10% may be a little more dependent on interview skills, but you're still good to go for big market Biglaw (NY/Chicago/DC, I know little about Cali though), maybe even down to the 15-20% mark depending on stuff like patent bar eligibility/WE. Top 25%-33% seems like a fair characterization. Maybe a bit better than that for the bottom 2 categories (lucky may be a stretch, but I dunno) - that's probably dependent on connections, I guess.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:42 pm

blackmambakatana wrote:Hmm Prof. Law sounds pretty bad. Do you guys know where I could find the supplements that everyone is talking about? I'm just curious and would like to read over them this summer.

Proffesor Law alt.

(jk)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:34 am

Kabuo wrote:Could any of you provide a rough breakdown of employment prospects at various percentiles in the class? This is what I gather based on TLS browsing, but I would love to be corrected.

Top 1% (I imagine the world is their oyster)
Top 5% (close to top 1, less prestigious firms/clerkships?)
Top 10% (maybe makes sense to transfer if no LR?)
Top 25% (reasonable shot at biglaw?)
Top 33% (hustle/connections might land biglaw?)
Median (Small law/midlaw if lucky, and probably hustle a lot?)
Below Median (Go back to your hometown and take any job you can get?)

This seems fairly accurate for a non-minority, non-IP person. And people with awesome pre-law school resumes also can get a boost.

Top 25% has a shot at NLJ firms, but it is tough from what I hear. Top 1/3 is most likely going to require connections, a great resume, or an IP background. I've heard anecdotes on TLS of people getting biglaw outside of top 1/3, but I don't know if it is true. Most firms even say "Top 1/3 required" or "Top 20% preferred" and stuff like that on our Symplicity page, so even getting selected for an interview outside of the top 1/4-1/3 is tough. Pre-ITE, top 1/4 was in pretty great shape for an NLJ firm. Now, it is more of a crapshoot, and the only people who can really feel "safe" are probably the top 5-10% folks. But still, I think everyone in then top 10-25% should feel like they have a decent shot at a 6-figure job.

I can't give out a ton of info right now since I haven't actually been through OCI, but I promise that once I do, I will relay as much information as I can. Everything I'm telling you now is based on my own research, TLS, conversations with the CSO, and conversations with upperclassmen/the grapevine.

I do believe that this upcoming OCI will be better than last year, albeit not a lot. But if every firm at our OCI takes just 1-2 more SAs this summer, that will open up the market a noticeable amount, and it makes those of us hovering inside top 1/4 and outside top 10% feel a lot better about our chances. So even if I am being recklessly optimistic, no one burst my bubble. :lol:

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Anyone have any info on what OCI is looking like at WUSTL this year?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:29 pm

uzpakalis wrote:Anyone have any info on what OCI is looking like at WUSTL this year?

Bidding just started yesterday, and the list is nowhere near complete (a lot of the STL firms aren't even on there). So it is really too early to say. Word is there will be more firms than last year. How many more and whether they hire us, I have no idea.

specialblend35

Postby specialblend35 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:45 pm

Could anybody recommend a good place to eat dinner?

I will be heading into town in a couple days to visit the school, and am wondering if there are any "must go" restaurants in the area. TYIA!

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:48 pm

specialblend35 wrote:Could anybody recommend a good place to eat dinner?

I will be heading into town in a couple days to visit the school, and am wondering if there are any "must go" restaurants in the area. TYIA!
Personal favorites - Dewey's Pizza, Pi, Tortillaria. Others that are good: Wildflower, Blueberry Hill, just about anywhere on the Hill (I like Mama Campisi's a lot).

If you're looking for somewhere fancy, Sidney Street is awesome.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:52 pm

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/lifeasweknowit/?p=174

The guy who wrote this really knows his stuff. :lol:

I agree with strato about all of those places. I think I might have to get myself some Tortillaria tonight. I'd also highly recommend Cicero's (I definitely recommend it over Blueberry Hill for dinner, although B-Hill is okay for wings and T-Ravs). It is on the Loop and is near WUSTL. It is especially great if you love trying different beers.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:56 pm

romothesavior wrote:

I agree with strato about all of those places. I think I might have to get myself some Tortillaria tonight. I'd also highly recommend Cicero's (I definitely recommend it over Blueberry Hill for dinner, although B-Hill is okay for wings and T-Ravs). It is on the Loop and is near WUSTL. It is especially great if you love trying different beers.
Ah, right. Always forget about Cicero's. Definitely a solid choice. Best thing about Blueberry Hill is burgers and darts, IMO.

specialblend35

Postby specialblend35 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:22 pm

stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Ah, right. Always forget about Cicero's. Definitely a solid choice. Best thing about Blueberry Hill is burgers and darts, IMO.

Awesome! Thanks for the recs.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:46 pm

I went to a breakfast place called Rooster downtown last week, pretty damn solid for breakfast.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Hannibal wrote:I went to a breakfast place called Rooster downtown last week, pretty damn solid for breakfast.
Can confirm this. Pretty awesome crepes.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:21 pm

If you want to do an expensive dinner go to Harvest on Big Bend, and make sure to get the bread pudding

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:29 pm

seatown12 wrote:If you want to do an expensive dinner go to Harvest on Big Bend, and make sure to get the bread pudding

I co-sign on the bread pudding. It's excellent.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 pm

stratocophic wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I went to a breakfast place called Rooster downtown last week, pretty damn solid for breakfast.
Can confirm this. Pretty awesome crepes.

If you care to tackle a 4000 calorie breakfast that is probably going to take 3 years off of your life, the Slinger is the way to go.

blackmambakatana

Postby blackmambakatana » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:46 am

Anybody have a room/apartment for rent? I'll rent it right now as long as it's near the school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:01 am

blackmambakatana wrote:Anybody have a room/apartment for rent? I'll rent it right now as long as it's near the school.

Are you in STL now? Are you moving here soon? What's your situation?

840e

Postby 840e » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:11 am

Last edited by 840e on Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:14 am

840e wrote:quick question (and apologies if it has been covered already...) - on the admissions bulletin it says the class of 2013 is 276... Is this roughly the size of all years or do you think this is big/small for WUSTL?

Very big. Not all that long ago, our incoming classes were down in the lower 200s. We've steadily increased the past few years. Word is they are cutting it down to around 250 this year, so the c/o 2014 should be smaller.

lovelaw27

Postby lovelaw27 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Does WUSTL offer any need based aid?

tls_je

Postby tls_je » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:46 am

Is it dangerous to walk around University City at night?
I was thinking about living there (Kingsland, Kingsbury, or Delmar), but someone just told me that it is a dangerous area and she recommended Central West End. Is it that much dangerous?

Are apartments usually furnished?

Thanks!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:03 pm

tls_je wrote:Is it dangerous to walk around University City at night?
I was thinking about living there (Kingsland, Kingsbury, or Delmar), but someone just told me that it is a dangerous area and she recommended Central West End. Is it that much dangerous?

Are apartments usually furnished?

Thanks!

Apartments are generally not furnished. Some are though. I lived in a furnished one last year.

I'd say CWE over the Loop any day, especially as far as safety is concerned.

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:13 pm

n/m
Last edited by sambeber on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Neither CWE nor the Loop are really "dangerous" areas, but both have some risk. FWIW the bad stories I've personally heard have all been from CWE. If you'd rather live in the Loop don't let this issue dissuade you. Be smart, don't wander around alone drunk at night, and keep your car locked with valuables out of sight.

Cronin Co. puts "no undergrads" in all their craigslist ads, which makes me think they are probably uptight obnoxious landlords.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”