WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
robert88

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby robert88 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:41 pm

do you guys know if classes with less than 10 would still be graded on a curve?

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:16 pm

valen wrote:how much effort is required to high pass pretrial?

just don't get a sexist professor (unless you're a dude then score)

unfortunately with pretrial and trial, the opinion of the professor actually matters. I dk if my situation was the norm but it did not appear that "effort" was the thing being graded. Gl

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:18 pm

robert88 wrote:do you guys know if classes with less than 10 would still be graded on a curve?

What class is this? Unless it's modified p/f I'm pretty sure they're all graded on a curve but this is probably available info for students...

robert88

Postby robert88 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:40 pm

Sprout wrote:
robert88 wrote:do you guys know if classes with less than 10 would still be graded on a curve?

What class is this? Unless it's modified p/f I'm pretty sure they're all graded on a curve but this is probably available info for students...

It is not a P/F class. We probably have about 10 JD students (if that) and 20 LLM students (who probably don't contribute to the curve) in the class. It just seems like a pretty rough curve.

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:58 pm

robert88 wrote:
Sprout wrote:

It is not a P/F class. We probably have about 10 JD students (if that) and 20 LLM students (who probably don't contribute to the curve) in the class. It just seems like a pretty rough curve.

LLM students are (usually) on their own curve. I dk what class this is so I dk if that's for sure an all the time thing, but I imagine it is.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:33 pm

I had a callback interview with a firm in New York early August, and sent them the NALP reimbursement form with the receipts by email. I have not heard from them nor received a check in the mail. Should I follow up on that or just wait?

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:51 pm

robert88 wrote:I had a callback interview with a firm in New York early August, and sent them the NALP reimbursement form with the receipts by email. I have not heard from them nor received a check in the mail. Should I follow up on that or just wait?

How long ago did you send the resimbursement in? If it's longer than a week and radio silence I would follow up... Ime firms can be shitty with correspondence but in terms of legality / nalp mandation shit they were prompt wrt that.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:27 pm

Sprout wrote:
robert88 wrote:I had a callback interview with a firm in New York early August, and sent them the NALP reimbursement form with the receipts by email. I have not heard from them nor received a check in the mail. Should I follow up on that or just wait?

How long ago did you send the resimbursement in? If it's longer than a week and radio silence I would follow up... Ime firms can be shitty with correspondence but in terms of legality / nalp mandation shit they were prompt wrt that.

It has been over 3 weeks now. I will send in a follow up email then. Thanks.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:09 am

robert88 wrote:
Sprout wrote:

It has been over 3 weeks now. I will send in a follow up email then. Thanks.

Honestly I'd give it a few more weeks before I bugged them about it.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:19 am

At least wait until you get an offer or ding. After that, fuck it

robert88

Postby robert88 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:59 am

sublime wrote:At least wait until you get an offer or ding. After that, fuck it

I got a ding from them before I submitted the NALP form...

lowenjo

Postby lowenjo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:55 pm

Sprout wrote:
robert88 wrote:
Sprout wrote:

LLM students are (usually) on their own curve. I dk what class this is so I dk if that's for sure an all the time thing, but I imagine it is.

So i've talked to the registrar about this numerous times. I had to deal with the same issue last year when there was only 7 of us in the class. They said they have curved classes with as little as 3 students.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:57 pm

robert88 wrote:

Then fuck it. Bother them about it if you need the money.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:29 pm

sublime wrote:
robert88 wrote:

Then fuck it. Bother them about it if you need the money.

I sent another person at the firm an email to follow up on the reimbursement, and that person got back to me quickly. Apparently, the one listed on their NALP form is not there any more...

tsujimoto74

Postby tsujimoto74 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:26 pm

RareExports wrote:
sublime wrote:They finally changed LP and LRM to P/F this year?

(I just saw this on Fb and don't have any confirmation or anything)

Was wondering about this too. Also saw on Facebook, but for every 1L I have spoken to, they are under the impression it is graded.

LP/LRM are definitely graded for us. Not sure where that rumor came from.

valen

Postby valen » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:39 am

how soon after a weekend course do you typically get grades?

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:28 pm

valen wrote:how soon after a weekend course do you typically get grades?

totally depends on the professor. I dk if there's a limit, but iirc, I remember a few I took coming out like a week later and at least one several weeks later/end of semester.

acr

Postby acr » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:14 pm

are weekend classes worth it? and what kind of participation/reading is required to pass?

I want to take Drobak's antitrust weekend course but don't want to/don't have time to do the 300 pages of reading that come with it

konar

Postby konar » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:15 am

I've never heard of anyone who actually showed up to a weekend course not passing.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:58 pm

acr wrote:are weekend classes worth it? and what kind of participation/reading is required to pass?

I want to take Drobak's antitrust weekend course but don't want to/don't have time to do the 300 pages of reading that come with it

I don't recall antitrust being substantially more reading than most other classes.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:35 pm

How does 2L/3L intersession work?

You can only take one class, right? How difficult is it to high pass? To low pass or fail? Is a lot of work required? Any recommendations for traditionally good offerings?

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:44 pm

acr wrote:are weekend classes worth it? and what kind of participation/reading is required to pass?

Drobak is rad, and you don't need to do all the reading. To konar's post above tho, yeah, some dickish people will low-pass weekend class students. Ive heard of it happening, but it usually doesnt. Show up, participate, do some of the reading, and you're fine. Weekend classes are the best tho. Sucks while they happen, but all things considered, you really can't beat less exams at the end of the semester, and an easy credit, imo.

Edit: If you load up properly also you can make a very easy 3L.

Although I heard they recently put a cap on the amount of weekend classes students can take? Is this true?

acr

Postby acr » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:58 pm

Sprout wrote:

Drobak is rad, and you don't need to do all the reading. To konar's post above tho, yeah, some dickish people will low-pass weekend class students. Ive heard of it happening, but it usually doesnt. Show up, participate, do some of the reading, and you're fine. Weekend classes are the best tho. Sucks while they happen, but all things considered, you really can't beat less exams at the end of the semester, and an easy credit, imo.

Edit: If you load up properly also you can make a very easy 3L.

Although I heard they recently put a cap on the amount of weekend classes students can take? Is this true?

If they did, then it was never indicated to me before I signed up for Drobak's.

Commoncourtesy

Postby Commoncourtesy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:01 pm

You could only register for one weekend course during registration period, but later on you could sign up for as many as you want.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:58 pm

Anyone score tickets to the debate?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”