WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chingwoo

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby chingwoo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:46 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
cm_burns wrote:In real life if someone is saying "I'm happy with the A- I got in Con law" and a person they don't know jumps in and says "A- is essentially median, median grades get you nothing from Wash U!", certain things can happen from there. You could get yourself into a certain type of situation. Either you're oblivious because of a sheletered upbringing, or are talking slick behind the safety of a computer. There's no need to be a jerk.

First, I only said the first part of the bolded, not the second. I certainly wasn't deriding medial grades, which are, by definition, the expected outcome.

Second, this "real life" you refer to must either be a jail yard or a grade school playground.

There actually were bars on my windows at my apartment in cmburns's market but I think that's to keep people out rather than in.

FuturePaulClement

Postby FuturePaulClement » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:25 am

cm_burns wrote:
I retract? I'm not sure where your home market is, but if you talked like that in my home market of Detroit you'd get slapped at least. Maybe even killed.

Before law school I was top of my class at West Point and a Navy Seal with over 50 confirmed kills. After the bin Laden raid, I swore I would never kill again. Violence begets violence and resolves nothing. Killing him won't turn an A- into an A. Use your words, friend. We are all in this together on this small blue planet we call earth.

Banned for trolling again.

cm_burns

Postby cm_burns » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:53 pm

I realize now that I got carried away on here and on social media sites with my anger relating to law school lately. Deriding my grades in a cocky way is something that pisses me off but I'll keep my anger to myself.

Bob_loblaw34

Postby Bob_loblaw34 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:08 pm

cm_burns wrote:I realize now that I got carried away on here and on social media sites with my anger relating to law school lately. Deriding my grades in a cocky way is something that pisses me off but I'll keep my anger to myself.

What do you mean on social media sites? I heard through the grapevine about some potentially disturbing FB posts by a WUSTL Student. Any information on that? Im trying to find the posts but dont seem to be able to. Any info from anyone would be appreciated.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:09 pm

cm_burns wrote:I realize now that I got carried away on here and on social media sites with my anger relating to law school lately. Deriding my grades in a cocky way is something that pisses me off but I'll keep my anger to myself.

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone meant offense to you or anyone else personally in the original context. I think most everyone on this board understands the random component of grades and the fact that all law school exams actually test for is 'being good at law school exams,' which has little direct correlation to much else.

PantoroB

Postby PantoroB » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:58 pm

Silly question but is the law school air conditioned? Cause if not I might die in the heat there.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:08 pm

PantoroB wrote:Silly question but is the law school air conditioned? Cause if not I might die in the heat there.

A constant 68 degrees or so.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:32 pm

PantoroB wrote:Silly question but is the law school air conditioned? Cause if not I might die in the heat there.

Very, very air conditioned.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:37 pm

Joscellin wrote:

Very, very air conditioned.

God it was great. It was like God himself breathing a cool breeze over me at all times.

FuturePaulClement

Postby FuturePaulClement » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:10 pm

I would say it almost gets too cold, especially on the 2nd floor of the library where the HVAC system is located. I was wearing a sweatshirt and wool hat last May while reviewing write-on submissions. Talk about a chilling experience...

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:21 pm

Ok that's it! I've fucking had it! I'm back for a week, and every day I find that someone has left a floater in the first floor bathroom. The toilet looks like a pot of beef stew some days. Yet again we have another conspiracy to make the c/o 2017 look like inconsiderate assholes that shit in toilets and do not flush. I'm on to you rising 2L's. YOu fucking hear me!? Flush the god damn toilet!

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:30 pm

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:we have another conspiracy to make the c/o 2017 look like inconsiderate assholes

Are the members of the conspiracy the class of 2017?

valen

Postby valen » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:01 pm

can someone explain why Covington is viewed so negatively on this forum? (Sublime sorry if this is too off-topic, just lmk)

markham1321

Postby markham1321 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:53 pm

Can any 3Ls/graduates speak to where you need to be in the class percentile-wise to be seriously considered for federal clerkships (district court)?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:47 am

valen wrote:can someone explain why Covington is viewed so negatively on this forum? (Sublime sorry if this is too off-topic, just lmk)

I think most of it is because when Cravath moved to 180 this summer, Covington came out and publicly stated that they didn't think that reflected the market in DC.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:10 pm

hoos89 wrote:
valen wrote:can someone explain why Covington is viewed so negatively on this forum? (Sublime sorry if this is too off-topic, just lmk)

I think most of it is because when Cravath moved to 180 this summer, Covington came out and publicly stated that they didn't think that reflected the market in DC.

Have they moved in DC? Basically yeah Covington refused to raise to 180k outside NYC even though every other firm did.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:36 pm

Yeah they caved once all the other major players in DC had moved. To be fair, it wasn't initially clear that the raises were going to be as universal as they ended up being, and that memo came fairly early. That said, this was a fairly blatant attempt to signal the market and prevent the raise from spreading too much outside of NYC (and thankfully it failed miserably).

MtheG

Postby MtheG » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:00 pm

markham1321 wrote:Can any 3Ls/graduates speak to where you need to be in the class percentile-wise to be seriously considered for federal clerkships (district court)?

Top 20% will get you some looks. The fed clerk gossip has quieted down a bit. I know 2017 has gotten 3-4 COAs.

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:20 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:we have another conspiracy to make the c/o 2017 look like inconsiderate assholes

Are the members of the conspiracy the class of 2017?

No Merk, the members of this (non)conspiracy are trolls like xxLawSchoolisHardxx

PS xxwhatever your stupid name is xx -- you're the one "mak[ing] the c/o 2017 look like inconsiderate assholes," so maybe chill on it

This was a really rad thread. Sorry you don't have a job you like and possibly a lack of friends or hobbies, but really dude, knock it off.

Outis Onoma

Postby Outis Onoma » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:26 pm

MtheG wrote:
markham1321 wrote:Can any 3Ls/graduates speak to where you need to be in the class percentile-wise to be seriously considered for federal clerkships (district court)?

Top 20% will get you some looks. The fed clerk gossip has quieted down a bit. I know 2017 has gotten 3-4 COAs.

20% got me a flyover district court clerkship. Not sure what it would take for a more competitive district.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:08 am

Anybody else feel like our class as a whole is doing ridiculously well on the employment front? Especially relative to some people from HYS almost striking out at OCI this recruitment season? Or am I just getting a skewed sample size because I only hear about the successes?

I know of like 6 V15 offers already pre-OCI and I'd say only 2 of them are top 10%, some below top 20%. That's incredible.

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:49 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Anybody else feel like our class as a whole is doing ridiculously well on the employment front? Especially relative to some people from HYS almost striking out at OCI this recruitment season? Or am I just getting a skewed sample size because I only hear about the successes?

I know of like 6 V15 offers already pre-OCI and I'd say only 2 of them are top 10%, some below top 20%. That's incredible.

I think WashU has tended recently to do disproportionately well with NY for some reason. I was talking to a friend a few months ago who's been at SullCrom for about 6 or 7 years and he says the school's reputation in NY in particular has shot through the roof in the past 2-3 years.

houritsu

Postby houritsu » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Last edited by houritsu on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:20 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Anybody else feel like our class as a whole is doing ridiculously well on the employment front? Especially relative to some people from HYS almost striking out at OCI this recruitment season? Or am I just getting a skewed sample size because I only hear about the successes?

I am barely top 25%, secondary journal, and I got a V15 offer pre-OCI. I doubt I could have even gotten a callback at any STL firm.

Anyway -- reason I came to this thread: my 2L books are much more expensive than my 1L books were. Is this to be expected for all semesters? I was under the impression 1L books were the most expensive.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Congrats dude.

And yea, I didn't even get screeners to most of the big stl firms and am going to a similar place as you. Fuck them though

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”