WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
robert88
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby robert88 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:03 am

Is it recommend that we use special resume paper to print resumes and pass them out at career fairs or the ordinary printing paper will do?

User avatar
valen
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:31 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby valen » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:22 am

robert88 wrote:Is it recommend that we use special resume paper to print resumes and pass them out at career fairs or the ordinary printing paper will do?

I used nicer paper for my resume, but did my transcripts on regular paper.

User avatar
RareExports
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby RareExports » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:13 am

Parking passes are going up to $699. This is absurd.

http://parking.wustl.edu/parking/permit ... tions.aspx

G41u5
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby G41u5 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:23 am

RareExports wrote:Parking passes are going up to $699. This is absurd.

http://parking.wustl.edu/parking/permit ... tions.aspx


Do you know if there is a deadline to buy the pass, or if they run out?

User avatar
RareExports
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby RareExports » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:25 am

G41u5 wrote:
RareExports wrote:Parking passes are going up to $699. This is absurd.

http://parking.wustl.edu/parking/permit ... tions.aspx


Do you know if there is a deadline to buy the pass, or if they run out?

There's no deadline, and the passes themselves will never run out (though there are times/days when the parking garage gets full). Wash U will always sell an extra pass even if the spot doesn't exist.

G41u5
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby G41u5 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:29 am

RareExports wrote:
G41u5 wrote:
RareExports wrote:Parking passes are going up to $699. This is absurd.

http://parking.wustl.edu/parking/permit ... tions.aspx


Do you know if there is a deadline to buy the pass, or if they run out?

There's no deadline, and the passes themselves will never run out (though there are times/days when the parking garage gets full). Wash U will always sell an extra pass even if the spot doesn't exist.


So I take it parking can be an adventure some days.

User avatar
RareExports
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby RareExports » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:35 am

G41u5 wrote:So I take it parking can be an adventure some days.


Parking isn't bad if you get there before 10am or so, which almost everyone does anyway. The problem is if you need to leave and come back mid-day. Mid-day spots are a little trickier to find, but it still shouldn't be that bad. There was only one time that I had to find somewhere to park outside of the main garage.

I mostly just meant that the supply of passes is unlimited.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:52 am

I have never been unable to find parking. Drive to school every day. Some days you have to go to the roof and park a little further away.

G41u5
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby G41u5 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:38 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I have never been unable to find parking. Drive to school every day. Some days you have to go to the roof and park a little further away.
RareExports wrote:
G41u5 wrote:So I take it parking can be an adventure some days.


Parking isn't bad if you get there before 10am or so, which almost everyone does anyway. The problem is if you need to leave and come back mid-day. Mid-day spots are a little trickier to find, but it still shouldn't be that bad. There was only one time that I had to find somewhere to park outside of the main garage.

I mostly just meant that the supply of passes is unlimited.



Good to know, thanks.

User avatar
xxLawSchoolIsHardxx
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:46 pm

robert88 wrote:Is it recommend that we use special resume paper to print resumes and pass them out at career fairs or the ordinary printing paper will do?


Resume paper should be no less than 24 lbs. per ream. This will give your resume a subtle thickness, but wont be too bulky as to give the impression of construction paper. Raised lettering is a must, with Scillian Rail lettering on a pale nimbus backdrop. A watermark with your initials is costly, but is worthwhile as it portrays an heir of consummate professionalism sure to be lacking from your competition. I would advise including your business card along with your resume. At the top left corner of your resume (never the top right), your should clip your business card using a paper clip. The paper clip should be parallel to the left margin of your resume. The type of paper clip used depends on what you want to convey about your personality. If you want to come off as innovative, use an owl clip; if you want to come off as hard-working and determined, use an ezeon clip; if you want to come off as down to earth, use a niagra clip; or if you want to come off as a straight shooter, use a philadelphia clip. DO NOT, and I mean NEVER, use a gem clip. Gem clips are indicative of someone who settles for the bare minimum, and conventional to the point of boredom. As far as your business card goes, do not use the ones provided by the school (everyone else will do this, making themselves look like little schoolchildren in the process). Go to a professional printer and ask for a pale nimbus backdrop, and a scillian rail raised lettering. There should also be a watermark with your initials in the same style as appears on your resume.

User avatar
Jmart082
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Jmart082 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:58 pm

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:
robert88 wrote:Is it recommend that we use special resume paper to print resumes and pass them out at career fairs or the ordinary printing paper will do?


Resume paper should be no less than 24 lbs. per ream. This will give your resume a subtle thickness, but wont be too bulky as to give the impression of construction paper. Raised lettering is a must, with Scillian Rail lettering on a pale nimbus backdrop. A watermark with your initials is costly, but is worthwhile as it portrays an heir of consummate professionalism sure to be lacking from your competition. I would advise including your business card along with your resume. At the top left corner of your resume (never the top right), your should clip your business card using a paper clip. The paper clip should be parallel to the left margin of your resume. The type of paper clip used depends on what you want to convey about your personality. If you want to come off as innovative, use an owl clip; if you want to come off as hard-working and determined, use an ezeon clip; if you want to come off as down to earth, use a niagra clip; or if you want to come off as a straight shooter, use a philadelphia clip. DO NOT, and I mean NEVER, use a gem clip. Gem clips are indicative of someone who settles for the bare minimum, and conventional to the point of boredom. As far as your business card goes, do not use the ones provided by the school (everyone else will do this, making themselves look like little schoolchildren in the process). Go to a professional printer and ask for a pale nimbus backdrop, and a scillian rail raised lettering. There should also be a watermark with your initials in the same style as appears on your resume.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Sprout
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Sprout » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:06 pm

If you don't drive to (or go to) school everyday, the daily scratch-off passes are a good way to go. I know a few people who sometimes walk/bike or metro, and just reserve driving to campus on days they are running late or need their cars. Less convenient, but a lot cheaper.

User avatar
bulinus
Posts: 193
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby bulinus » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:16 pm

You can park on the street for free in that residential area just north of Forest Park if you are willing to walk .25 miles each way.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Parking is almost never going to be a problem in st louis. Almost.

acr
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby acr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Does applying through Symplicity to non-OCI jobs ever result in success?

User avatar
MarkinKansasCity
Posts: 11010
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:12 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:
robert88 wrote:Is it recommend that we use special resume paper to print resumes and pass them out at career fairs or the ordinary printing paper will do?


Resume paper should be no less than 24 lbs. per ream. This will give your resume a subtle thickness, but wont be too bulky as to give the impression of construction paper. Raised lettering is a must, with Scillian Rail lettering on a pale nimbus backdrop. A watermark with your initials is costly, but is worthwhile as it portrays an heir of consummate professionalism sure to be lacking from your competition. I would advise including your business card along with your resume. At the top left corner of your resume (never the top right), your should clip your business card using a paper clip. The paper clip should be parallel to the left margin of your resume. The type of paper clip used depends on what you want to convey about your personality. If you want to come off as innovative, use an owl clip; if you want to come off as hard-working and determined, use an ezeon clip; if you want to come off as down to earth, use a niagra clip; or if you want to come off as a straight shooter, use a philadelphia clip. DO NOT, and I mean NEVER, use a gem clip. Gem clips are indicative of someone who settles for the bare minimum, and conventional to the point of boredom. As far as your business card goes, do not use the ones provided by the school (everyone else will do this, making themselves look like little schoolchildren in the process). Go to a professional printer and ask for a pale nimbus backdrop, and a scillian rail raised lettering. There should also be a watermark with your initials in the same style as appears on your resume.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Holy fuck this is perfect.

I think we've reached the on-topic version of peak TLS.

MtheG
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby MtheG » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:13 pm

acr wrote:Does applying through Symplicity to non-OCI jobs ever result in success?


I got my small law job from symplicity and I got a screener this cycle from it as well.

User avatar
Jmart082
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Jmart082 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:20 pm

MtheG wrote:
acr wrote:Does applying through Symplicity to non-OCI jobs ever result in success?


I got my small law job from symplicity and I got a screener this cycle from it as well.

Ditto

User avatar
njdevils2626
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby njdevils2626 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
MtheG wrote:
acr wrote:Does applying through Symplicity to non-OCI jobs ever result in success?


I got my small law job from symplicity and I got a screener this cycle from it as well.

Ditto


I got three screeners through this last year

whatwhatinthebutt
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:24 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby whatwhatinthebutt » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:
robert88 wrote:Is it recommend that we use special resume paper to print resumes and pass them out at career fairs or the ordinary printing paper will do?


Resume paper should be no less than 24 lbs. per ream. This will give your resume a subtle thickness, but wont be too bulky as to give the impression of construction paper. Raised lettering is a must, with Scillian Rail lettering on a pale nimbus backdrop. A watermark with your initials is costly, but is worthwhile as it portrays an heir of consummate professionalism sure to be lacking from your competition. I would advise including your business card along with your resume. At the top left corner of your resume (never the top right), your should clip your business card using a paper clip. The paper clip should be parallel to the left margin of your resume. The type of paper clip used depends on what you want to convey about your personality. If you want to come off as innovative, use an owl clip; if you want to come off as hard-working and determined, use an ezeon clip; if you want to come off as down to earth, use a niagra clip; or if you want to come off as a straight shooter, use a philadelphia clip. DO NOT, and I mean NEVER, use a gem clip. Gem clips are indicative of someone who settles for the bare minimum, and conventional to the point of boredom. As far as your business card goes, do not use the ones provided by the school (everyone else will do this, making themselves look like little schoolchildren in the process). Go to a professional printer and ask for a pale nimbus backdrop, and a scillian rail raised lettering. There should also be a watermark with your initials in the same style as appears on your resume.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a watermark!

User avatar
PresTTTigious
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:30 am

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby PresTTTigious » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:56 am

WUSTL is PresTTTigious!

User avatar
xxLawSchoolIsHardxx
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:11 am

PresTTTigious wrote:WUSTL is PresTTTigious!


uh oh here come the prestigious trolls...

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:31 am

For the new 1Ls because I'm too lazy to find the facebook group:

I left like 20 used supplements and books and whatnot on the benches by the lockers on the 2nd floor. They're all up for grabs, so feel free to go take them. Freer (civ pro) and Chemerinsky (con law) are probably the most useful ones so go for those first. The LP and LRM books are also there.

User avatar
Jmart082
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Jmart082 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:For the new 1Ls because I'm too lazy to find the facebook group:

I left like 20 used supplements and books and whatnot on the benches by the lockers on the 2nd floor. They're all up for grabs, so feel free to go take them. Freer (civ pro) and Chemerinsky (con law) are probably the most useful ones so go for those first. The LP and LRM books are also there.

I've actually found myself going back to Chemerinsky, even after 1L. Best supplement by far.

whatwhatinthebutt
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:24 pm

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby whatwhatinthebutt » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:30 pm

Chemerinsky is a hornbook law hack who sells students a false narrative of black letter constitutional law, which doesn't exist. If you read his supplements you'll have no clue how the Supreme Court actually works and Satan will rule the Earth. Don't do it kids.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clueless801 and 6 guests