WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
RareExports

Silver

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by RareExports » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:38 am

Sprout wrote:
robert88 wrote:Will we get an email if/when selected for an interview for either OCI or the other programs?
Yes.

ETA: I found though that last year, I would sometimes get the email notification later than the pre-select was posted on the program website. Not saying you should sit around refreshing pages, but if some of them start to trickle out, check them every now and again. Interviews are first come first serve, so you don't want to lag with signing-up.
Does first-come-first-serve mean that more interview offers are extended than are spots available?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:42 am

RareExports wrote:
Sprout wrote:
robert88 wrote:Will we get an email if/when selected for an interview for either OCI or the other programs?
Yes.

ETA: I found though that last year, I would sometimes get the email notification later than the pre-select was posted on the program website. Not saying you should sit around refreshing pages, but if some of them start to trickle out, check them every now and again. Interviews are first come first serve, so you don't want to lag with signing-up.
Does first-come-first-serve mean that more interview offers are extended than are spots available?
No I think it's just preferable time slots are first come first serve. They offer as many interviews as there are slots.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:57 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
RareExports wrote:
Sprout wrote:
Yes.

No I think it's just preferable time slots are first come first serve. They offer as many interviews as there are slots.
Yeah, it's not about signing up early to ensure you get an interview slot, that's guaranteed. But it is about getting the specific time slot that you want

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:14 am

Anyone knows what is happening to CCD? We only have two career strategists left....

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:16 am

njdevils2626 wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
RareExports wrote:
Sprout wrote:
Yes.

Yeah, it's not about signing up early to ensure you get an interview slot, that's guaranteed. But it is about getting the specific time slot that you want
Would it be a problem for someone that has multiple interviews because of schedule conflicts?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:19 am

Yes, having multiple interviews at the same time is a problem.

Try to avoid it, but if you can't, talk to CSO, they will help you fix it.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:28 am

robert88 wrote:Anyone knows what is happening to CCD? We only have two career strategists left....
At least 5 strategists and a secretary-type person have left in the past couple months. They recently hired a new assistant dean. As far as I know, there are 3 strategists left, a secretary, and the (now) two deans.

ETA: And this is with all of the turnover last year, too. I'm not sure any strategists that were here 12 months ago still are.

valen

Bronze

Post by valen » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:35 am

sublime wrote:Yes, having multiple interviews at the same time is a problem.

So if the only time slots you have available do overlap, it's best to schedule it anyway and try to get CSO to help out after?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 am

valen wrote:
sublime wrote:Yes, having multiple interviews at the same time is a problem.

So if the only time slots you have available do overlap, it's best to schedule it anyway and try to get CSO to help out after?

Yea, I would go ahead and schedule and email cso. You don't want them to think that you don't want the slot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Anybody know if it's at all possible to get district, or even circuit clerkships in 9th, 2nd, or maybe DC?

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:04 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Anybody know if it's at all possible to get district, or even circuit clerkships in 9th, 2nd, or maybe DC?
I know some people from c/o 2016 got COA clerkships on the 8th, 6th. Not sure about the 2nd and 9th.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:04 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Anybody know if it's at all possible to get district, or even circuit clerkships in 9th, 2nd, or maybe DC?
All of those circuits would be a stretch, especially if you're not in the top handful of people in the class. Not counting staff clerks, one person has gotten 2nd, 6 have gotten 9th, and none have gotten DC. And that's all-time (not counting c/o 2016). Doesn't hurt to apply though.

http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/Ju ... ip2015.pdf

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:37 pm

RareExports wrote:
robert88 wrote:Anyone knows what is happening to CCD? We only have two career strategists left....
At least 5 strategists and a secretary-type person have left in the past couple months. They recently hired a new assistant dean. As far as I know, there are 3 strategists left, a secretary, and the (now) two deans.

ETA: And this is with all of the turnover last year, too. I'm not sure any strategists that were here 12 months ago still are.
I think Laura M is the only one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:01 pm

One data point: I had a ninth circuit interview, but no offer. Not sure how many others were interviewed/how close I was. No ties, no calls, no prior WUSTL clerks.

Here's my (unsolicited) take on transferring from the top of the class for clerkships: if you're in the top 5-10 people, you've got a pretty good chance at 5/6/8/10. The problem with 2/9/DC, in addition to generally being more competitive, is that we just don't seem to have profs with ties to those circuits. That's the only way I can explain the placement difference between us and, say, Vandy, who places clerks on the DC circuit. You're essentially banking on establishing such a connection at your new school, which may not be within your control.

Also, not that you asked, but if clerking is a factor in your transferring calculus, the distinction between 2/9/DC and any other COA should be waaaay down the list. Many current/former clerks on TLS will tell you the same.

As for district court clerkships, it's a lot harder to generalize. Judge Otero in LA regularly hires WUSTL students, and I'm sure there are others.

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:08 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
One data point: I had a ninth circuit interview, but no offer. Not sure how many others were interviewed/how close I was. No ties, no calls, no prior WUSTL clerks.

Here's my (unsolicited) take on transferring from the top of the class for clerkships: if you're in the top 5-10 people, you've got a pretty good chance at 5/6/8/10. The problem with 2/9/DC, in addition to generally being more competitive, is that we just don't seem to have profs with ties to those circuits. That's the only way I can explain the placement difference between us and, say, Vandy, who places clerks on the DC circuit. You're essentially banking on establishing such a connection at your new school, which may not be within your control.

Also, not that you asked, but if clerking is a factor in your transferring calculus, the distinction between 2/9/DC and any other COA should be waaaay down the list. Many current/former clerks on TLS will tell you the same.

As for district court clerkships, it's a lot harder to generalize. Judge Otero in LA regularly hires WUSTL students, and I'm sure there are others.
Do you know anything about the federal circuit?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:17 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:

I'm not transferring because I'm not getting in to H/S lol (not for lack of grades, unfortunately). Do you think the WUSTL name would be a hindrance if I try to clerk a few years after working in biglaw? Should I try to get a district clerkship in SDCA asap after law school? Part of me wants to work a bit and save some money before clerking.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:21 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

I'm not transferring because I'm not getting in to H/S lol (not for lack of grades, unfortunately). Do you think the WUSTL name would be a hindrance if I try to clerk a few years after working in biglaw? Should I try to get a district clerkship in SDCA asap after law school? Part of me wants to work a bit and save some money before clerking.

Working a few years then reapplying seemed common at least for SDNY and EDNY. No idea how that affects the WUSTL name though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:41 pm

robert88 wrote: Do you know anything about the federal circuit?
No personal knowledge, sorry. I know it's a tough get without a hard science UG degree.
PeanutsNJam wrote: I'm not transferring because I'm not getting in to H/S lol (not for lack of grades, unfortunately). Do you think the WUSTL name would be a hindrance if I try to clerk a few years after working in biglaw? Should I try to get a district clerkship in SDCA asap after law school? Part of me wants to work a bit and save some money before clerking.
I don't know why the WUSTL name would be any more of a "hindrance" as an alumnus than as a student. If anything, a name-brand biglaw firm will improve the "prestige" factor of your resume and make you more competitive. Speaking from personal experience, I had several COA interviews in law school but no offers. I landed COA after two years at a tiny firm in a tertiary market. I'm sure a stint in big law would be even more helpful.

As for money, you can find lots of TLS threads about this, but you lose more money clerking as an alumnus because you're missing a 3rd year salary rather than a 1st year. That's slightly offset by the fact that you'll be paid more as a clerk, but not enough to fully offset. That said, it is nice to have the benefit of two years of savings.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Is 3rd year the latest you can reasonably get a clerkship? Would you be disadvantaged if you tried to clerk around the same time you'd exit biglaw (4-5 year)? I want to clerk more for the sake of doing it than for a biglaw pay bump.

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:26 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
No personal knowledge, sorry. I know it's a tough get without a hard science UG degree.
PeanutsNJam wrote: I'm not transferring because I'm not getting in to H/S lol (not for lack of grades, unfortunately). Do you think the WUSTL name would be a hindrance if I try to clerk a few years after working in biglaw? Should I try to get a district clerkship in SDCA asap after law school? Part of me wants to work a bit and save some money before clerking.
I don't know why the WUSTL name would be any more of a "hindrance" as an alumnus than as a student. If anything, a name-brand biglaw firm will improve the "prestige" factor of your resume and make you more competitive. Speaking from personal experience, I had several COA interviews in law school but no offers. I landed COA after two years at a tiny firm in a tertiary market. I'm sure a stint in big law would be even more helpful.

As for money, you can find lots of TLS threads about this, but you lose more money clerking as an alumnus because you're missing a 3rd year salary rather than a 1st year. That's slightly offset by the fact that you'll be paid more as a clerk, but not enough to fully offset. That said, it is nice to have the benefit of two years of savings.
Who should I talk to at the CCD if I am interested in a clerkship position after graduation?

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:27 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Is 3rd year the latest you can reasonably get a clerkship? Would you be disadvantaged if you tried to clerk around the same time you'd exit biglaw (4-5 year)? I want to clerk more for the sake of doing it than for a biglaw pay bump.
It certainly happens, but I don't have numbers at my disposal, so I don't know how much of a disadvantage it is, if at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:28 pm

robert88 wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:

Who should I talk to at the CCD if I am interested in a clerkship position after graduation?
No idea. CSO has completely turned over since I left.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:47 pm

robert88 wrote:
Alison Esbeck is supposed to be the clerkship person at CCD, she was decently helpful when I went to see her

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:17 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Is 3rd year the latest you can reasonably get a clerkship? Would you be disadvantaged if you tried to clerk around the same time you'd exit biglaw (4-5 year)? I want to clerk more for the sake of doing it than for a biglaw pay bump.
I'm not sure I'd wait quite that long, but there are plenty of people who do it after 1-3 years. There are judges who won't hire people straight out of law school. Just keep in mind that you're more likely to be in a stage of your life where it's difficult to just pick up and move somewhere for a year, or live on a clerk's salary.

robert88

Bronze

Post by robert88 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:08 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
robert88 wrote:
Alison Esbeck is supposed to be the clerkship person at CCD, she was decently helpful when I went to see her
Alison is leaving by the end of the week though. She has been quite helpful.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”