WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:55 pm

ek5dn wrote:Just realized I misspelled the name of a firm I applied to last week throughout my entire CL. Great.

Don't worry. I think that has happened to pretty much everybody! It's not a big deal, and don't worry too much about it.

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:59 pm

sublime wrote:
ek5dn wrote:Just realized I misspelled the name of a firm I applied to last week throughout my entire CL. Great.

Don't worry. I think that has happened to pretty much everybody! It's not a big deal, and don't worry too much about it.

haha thanks. Does that basically mean game over? Because the lady responded to my email with an invitation to a cocktail reception. Is it not worth going to now? Ugh I feel so dumb

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:01 pm

ek5dn wrote:
sublime wrote:

haha thanks. Does that basically mean game over? Because the lady responded to my email with an invitation to a cocktail reception. Is it not worth going to now? Ugh I feel so dumb

If she didn't see it or is pretending she didn't see it, then there's no need for you to dwell on it. Just ignore it unless someone calls you on it. Chances are no one read your cover letter any way, and even if they did, they spent no longer than 30 seconds glancing at it.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:02 pm

ek5dn wrote:
sublime wrote:

Definitely go!

I think it makes it less likely that they respond, but if they respond, I probably would still pursue it.

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:19 pm

sublime wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Are transfer outs allowed to participate in walk-around programs?

I don't think they are supposed to but they can by delaying accepting their transfer program. We had the biggest dickhead in the world who (of course) was transferring to Harvard, still show up for our NY off campus. Fuck that guy.

If you think brunski was a dickhead, then you didn't really know him. Awkward and high strung sure, but a nice guy.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:27 pm

WheatThins wrote:
sublime wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Are transfer outs allowed to participate in walk-around programs?

I don't think they are supposed to but they can by delaying accepting their transfer program. We had the biggest dickhead in the world who (of course) was transferring to Harvard, still show up for our NY off campus. Fuck that guy.

If you think brunski was a dickhead, then you didn't really know him. Awkward and high strung sure, but a nice guy.

Yea, I have heard that from some people close to him, although we usually end up agreeing to disagree about it.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:38 pm

sublime wrote:

Except PnJ is also transferring to Harvard.....

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:29 pm

robert88 wrote:
sublime wrote:

Still don't know if I'll get in, since it's not like there are any guarantees. I just want to know already. So if someone gets an interview invite through the off-campus program with a firm, and then transfer, can they request to interview with the firm anyway (but not through the program)? I just keep hearing about how you need to do early interviews and if I transfer I won't be able to participate in other schools' early interview program. I won't do wustl walk-around stuff if that's going to take an interview spot from someone else.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:33 pm

It would take a spot from someone else.

tebowtime23

Postby tebowtime23 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:43 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
robert88 wrote:
sublime wrote:

Still don't know if I'll get in, since it's not like there are any guarantees. I just want to know already. So if someone gets an interview invite through the off-campus program with a firm, and then transfer, can they request to interview with the firm anyway (but not through the program)? I just keep hearing about how you need to do early interviews and if I transfer I won't be able to participate in other schools' early interview program. I won't do wustl walk-around stuff if that's going to take an interview spot from someone else.

If you get interview invites it is perfectly reasonable to reach out to the firms, let them know you're transferring, and tell them you're still interested in interviewing but cannot take part in OCI.

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:12 am

has anyone ever complained about CCD not re-calculating the ranks before OCI? It would help me A LOT if they did.

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:29 am

also - so many people are transferring out (people I really like!) and it's making me sad. Sad that they're leaving and sad that I didn't send out any transfer apps

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:44 pm

ek5dn wrote:has anyone ever complained about CCD not re-calculating the ranks before OCI? It would help me A LOT if they did.

They used to do this. I wonder if employers caught on and complained about it, because it's kind of deceptive. Not to mention that you can't know for sure who is transferring by the OCI deadline so it leads to some weird things happening, like people in the top 10% (back when that was the grade-on cut-off) not being on law review even though they did write-on because the cut-off was the original top 10%, so that would raise some kind of awkward questions. I remember my year when they did this a lot of people were caught off guard. I think everyone who requested a dean's certificate to transfer was treated as if they were going to transfer, and the rankings were recalculated as such. The problem with that is not everyone who requests a dean's certificate is set on transferring; lots of them just want to see where they get in and make the decision accordingly. So a lot of people felt kind of forced out the door because if they stayed they'd have to keep their original rank and be below people with lower GPAs, which obviously doesn't make sense. It's nice for the people who *do stay, and I guess I'd have less of an issue with it if they'd actually told people about this before they got a dean's certificate, but I can definitely see why employers wouldn't like it.
Last edited by hoos89 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:46 pm

hoos89 wrote:
ek5dn wrote:has anyone ever complained about CCD not re-calculating the ranks before OCI? It would help me A LOT if they did.

They used to do this. I wonder if employers caught on and complained about it, because it's kind of deceptive. Not to mention that you can't know for sure who is transferring by the OCI deadline so it leads to some weird things happening, like people in the top 10% (back when that was the grade-on cut-off) not being on law review even though they did write-on because the cut-off was the original top 10%, so that would raise some kind of awkward questions. I remember my year when they did this a lot of people were caught off guard. I think everyone who requested a dean's certificate to transfer was treated as if they were going to transfer, and the rankings were recalculated as such. The problem with that is not everyone who requests a dean's certificate is set on transferring; lots of them just want to see where they get in and make the decision accordingly. So a lot of people felt kind of forced out the door because if they stayed they'd have to keep their original rank and be below people with lower GPAs, which obviously doesn't make sense. It's nice for the people who don't stay, and I guess I'd have less of an issue with it if they'd actually told people about this before they got a dean's certificate, but I can definitely see why employers wouldn't like it.

Also, there would likely be a downward impact on many people's class ranks. Maybe it would help someone not in top third hit top third, but maybe it would also drop someone from top 10% to top 15%. From a CCD perspective, it's not like there's a guarantee that recalculating would have a net positive impact on the student body. Further, there's no way to recalculate by the pre-select deadline. CCD (or anyone for that matter) won't know the final list of transfers-out until all of the dust settles in August. The pre-select deadline is sometime in mid-July.

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback about re-ranking! I can see what the problems with doing that would be now.

Sorry if this has been asked, but if I'm applying to a firm participating in an off-campus program, but only recruiting for one location (ie., NY) should I send an email to the recruiter for the other office I'm interested in? (I'd prefer to work in DC over NY, but I'm also not opposed to working in NY)
If I do, should I indicate in the email that I've already applied to the firm via OCI to the NY office?

thanks in advance!

robert88

Postby robert88 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:48 pm

RareExports wrote:
hoos89 wrote:

They used to do this. I wonder if employers caught on and complained about it, because it's kind of deceptive. Not to mention that you can't know for sure who is transferring by the OCI deadline so it leads to some weird things happening, like people in the top 10% (back when that was the grade-on cut-off) not being on law review even though they did write-on because the cut-off was the original top 10%, so that would raise some kind of awkward questions. I remember my year when they did this a lot of people were caught off guard. I think everyone who requested a dean's certificate to transfer was treated as if they were going to transfer, and the rankings were recalculated as such. The problem with that is not everyone who requests a dean's certificate is set on transferring; lots of them just want to see where they get in and make the decision accordingly. So a lot of people felt kind of forced out the door because if they stayed they'd have to keep their original rank and be below people with lower GPAs, which obviously doesn't make sense. It's nice for the people who don't stay, and I guess I'd have less of an issue with it if they'd actually told people about this before they got a dean's certificate, but I can definitely see why employers wouldn't like it.

Also, there would likely be a downward impact on many people's class ranks. Maybe it would help someone not in top third hit top third, but maybe it would also drop someone from top 10% to top 15%. From a CCD perspective, it's not like there's a guarantee that recalculating would have a net positive impact on the student body. Further, there's no way to recalculate by the pre-select deadline. CCD (or anyone for that matter) won't know the final list of transfers-out until all of the dust settles in August. The pre-select deadline is sometime in mid-July.

I doubt someone would drop from 10% to 15% due to the small decrease in student size since a bunch on the top will transfer out as well.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:39 pm

RareExports wrote:Also, there would likely be a downward impact on many people's class ranks. Maybe it would help someone not in top third hit top third, but maybe it would also drop someone from top 10% to top 15%. From a CCD perspective, it's not like there's a guarantee that recalculating would have a net positive impact on the student body. Further, there's no way to recalculate by the pre-select deadline. CCD (or anyone for that matter) won't know the final list of transfers-out until all of the dust settles in August. The pre-select deadline is sometime in mid-July.

No, recalculating lowered the cut-offs across the board.

ek5dn wrote:Thanks for the feedback about re-ranking! I can see what the problems with doing that would be now.

Sorry if this has been asked, but if I'm applying to a firm participating in an off-campus program, but only recruiting for one location (ie., NY) should I send an email to the recruiter for the other office I'm interested in? (I'd prefer to work in DC over NY, but I'm also not opposed to working in NY)
If I do, should I indicate in the email that I've already applied to the firm via OCI to the NY office?

thanks in advance!

Yeah as long as there are separate recruiters it should be fine, and no I wouldn't mention your other application.

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:09 am

On the topic of interviews, I had a question about the Loyola Patent Fair. I have 15 screeners from this program but I'm not sure how many of those might become offers. Does anyone know what offer rate I can expect? Sorry to post it here but the other thread is nonresponsive.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:13 am

KunAgnis wrote:On the topic of interviews, I had a question about the Loyola Patent Fair. I have 15 screeners from this program but I'm not sure how many of those might become offers. Does anyone know what offer rate I can expect? Sorry to post it here but the other thread is nonresponsive.

You shouldn't expect any offers. That is not a good mindset to have. Get as many interviews as you can. I've heard of people with 50+ screeners striking out. 15 definitely isn't a safe number to expect an offer. You might get 1, 5, or 0.

MoonSugar

Postby MoonSugar » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:08 am

Can someone explain the walk around programs? I thought it was off campus but one of the firms websites says they will be at washu that day on their oci calendar. So now I'm confused.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:15 am

KunAgnis wrote:On the topic of interviews, I had a question about the Loyola Patent Fair. I have 15 screeners from this program but I'm not sure how many of those might become offers. Does anyone know what offer rate I can expect? Sorry to post it here but the other thread is nonresponsive.

Congrats. 15 is a very good number at Loyola, although I would not "expect" any offer. Firms tend to have very similar hiring criteria, so one can have 95% offer rate, another can have 5%. It all depends.

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:30 am

robert88 wrote:

Congrats. 15 is a very good number at Loyola, although I would not "expect" any offer. Firms tend to have very similar hiring criteria, so one can have 95% offer rate, another can have 5%. It all depends.

Thanks. Are you attending the program as well?

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:27 pm

hoos89 wrote:

You shouldn't expect any offers. That is not a good mindset to have. Get as many interviews as you can. I've heard of people with 50+ screeners striking out. 15 definitely isn't a safe number to expect an offer. You might get 1, 5, or 0.

Worst story I ever heard was a dude who had 65 (imagine 65 interviews!), 0 offers. The thing is the dude let all of the action get to his head. He went into the interviews way over confident. Literally told a screener, "When I get an offer, whats my track to partner look like?" He even showed up to an interview 5 minutes late, and walked into the screener's office talking loudly on the phone to his girlfriend about personal matters

Moral of the story- don't act like an entitled douche just because you got a good number.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:31 pm

He took all 65 interviews? That's 1300 minutes of interview, or just over 21 hours. At just the Loyola program?

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:35 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:He took all 65 interviews? That's 1300 minutes of interview, or just over 21 hours. At just the Loyola program?

Multiple programs, not just Loyola

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”