WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:31 pm

cm_burns wrote:
xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:
cm_burns wrote:I'm taking Tuch because I couldn't get into Sale, even trying to register immediately when registration went live. Sounds like I'm at least avoiding a horrible exam.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:I would like to apologize for my recent behavior on this forum. I let my passions get the best of me, and I think if I explain my side of the story, you all may learn to understand.

When I started at Wash U, I joined a club. I wont say which one, but I was treated terribly by 2L's (this past year's 3Ls). See I come from an under privileged background, and I am not very articulate. I was called "white trash," had pages ripped from my casebooks, and even had someone spit in my food. The only people who were at my side were the class of 2017. If it weren't for them, I probably would not have made it this far.

I hope you all can forgive me.

I'm not sure that's an excuse to act like a jerk, but hegemonic forces can definitely be problematic at Wash U. Although I never had pages ripped out of my books, I could definitely feel hegemonic forces pressing upon me when dealing with certain groups of people at Wash U. I'm not sure how to combat it, but it's culturally problematic.

I'm not sure that made sense

ek5dn wrote:
cm_burns wrote:I'm taking Tuch because I couldn't get into Sale, even trying to register immediately when registration went live. Sounds like I'm at least avoiding a horrible exam.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:I would like to apologize for my recent behavior on this forum. I let my passions get the best of me, and I think if I explain my side of the story, you all may learn to understand.

When I started at Wash U, I joined a club. I wont say which one, but I was treated terribly by 2L's (this past year's 3Ls). See I come from an under privileged background, and I am not very articulate. I was called "white trash," had pages ripped from my casebooks, and even had someone spit in my food. The only people who were at my side were the class of 2017. If it weren't for them, I probably would not have made it this far.

I hope you all can forgive me.

I'm not sure that's an excuse to act like a jerk, but hegemonic forces can definitely be problematic at Wash U. Although I never had pages ripped out of my books, I could definitely feel hegemonic forces pressing upon me when dealing with certain groups of people at Wash U. I'm not sure how to combat it, but it's culturally problematic.

...what hegemonic forces in particular are you talking about?

Socio-economically and culturally Wash U law is hegemonic; people of anglo-colonial descent who prize resource acquisition over promoting the agency of all peoples. If one falls outside of this hegemony it's easy to feel marginalization and socio-alienation in interactions in physical and socio-political spaces with other law students. That's what I mean by the hegemonic forces at Wash U feeling like they can be pressing upon students.

How bout you stop mixing big words together and start making sense asshole

cm_burns

Postby cm_burns » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:36 pm

That's a severe case of anti-intellectualism when hegemony is "too big a word" to be used in discussion. Judging by the Brexit thread we have a lot of neo-revanchists here, so I can't be surprised about a desire to control language that identifies hegemony and hegemonic force, because to define it is to critique it.

If you're actually denying Wash U hegemony, you need to get your head out of the sand.

whatwhatinthebutt

Postby whatwhatinthebutt » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:41 pm

cm_burns wrote:That's a severe case of anti-intellectualism when hegemony is "too big a word" to be used in discussion. Judging by the Brexit thread we have a lot of neo-revanchists here, so I can't be surprised about a desire to control language that identifies hegemony and hegemonic force, because to define it is to critique it.

If you're actually denying Wash U hegemony, you need to get your head out of the sand.

I deny it, but I can see how you might have a tough time making friends. Let's blame the white, greed-fueled elitism.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:45 pm

whatwhatinthebutt wrote:
cm_burns wrote:That's a severe case of anti-intellectualism when hegemony is "too big a word" to be used in discussion. Judging by the Brexit thread we have a lot of neo-revanchists here, so I can't be surprised about a desire to control language that identifies hegemony and hegemonic force, because to define it is to critique it.

I deny it, but I can see how you might have a tough time making friends. Let's blame the white, greed-fueled elitism.

White Privilege asshole.

tsujimoto74

Postby tsujimoto74 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:48 pm

Well that escalated quickly.

MtheG

Postby MtheG » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:53 pm

One minute this thread is genuinely helpful and the next it's a raging dumpster fire.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:57 pm

MtheG wrote:One minute this thread is genuinely helpful and the next it's a raging dumpster fire.

Yea, jfc.

Believe it or not, it has been almost exclusively helpful for 250+ pages.

Bans will continue to be given for fucking this thread up.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:00 pm

It's worth noting that I have seen nothing but great folks at WUSTL in my year here, no clue what that dude is talking about.

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:03 pm

As a rising 3L, most of the horrible people in my class except for me transferred out.

futago

Postby futago » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:20 pm

Joscellin wrote:It's worth noting that I have seen nothing but great folks at WUSTL in my year here, no clue what that dude is talking about.

Seconded. 3L here.

MtheG

Postby MtheG » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:30 pm

As a 2L/3L/MBA type person, I can also confirm that the worst people in the class of 2017 left and went to places where their awfulness is the norm and not the exception. In fact, I am worried that since all of the bad people left, my class will not have anything to complain about.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:54 pm

What is happening at CCD? Does anyone still work there?

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:12 pm

RareExports wrote:What is happening at CCD? Does anyone still work there?

Define "work" please, because I was under the impression nobody ever worked there

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:20 am

lmao. btw, if you email a specific "career strategist," they get back to you pretty quickly.

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:27 am

FWIW, I tried the Becker Project and they connected me to a big law firm's patent litigation partner in Chicago. I mean I guess I could have reached out myself, but it helps to have an introduction. I dont think CCD is as useless as people make them out to be.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:05 am

ek5dn wrote:

lmao. btw, if you email a specific "career strategist," they get back to you pretty quickly.

Lol, if you email a strategist who worked at CCD during the past academic year, there's pretty good odds that they've quit in the last three weeks.

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:12 am

RareExports wrote:
ek5dn wrote:

Lol, if you email a strategist who worked at CCD during the past academic year, there's pretty good odds that they've quit in the last three weeks.

?? why do you say that? I know one lady quit, but that's it, right?

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:20 am

ek5dn wrote:
RareExports wrote:
ek5dn wrote:

?? why do you say that? I know one lady quit, but that's it, right?

There is one person who quit and another who lateralled into a firm. Dunno if theres more

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:39 pm

Three people have left in the past three weeks, though only two were strategists. That coupled with the academic year attrition leaves CCD pretty thin.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:47 pm

I always had good experiences with CSO, but that was like 2 years ago. And Carol was great.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:10 pm

Are transfer outs allowed to participate in walk-around programs?

tebowtime23

Postby tebowtime23 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:10 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Are transfer outs allowed to participate in walk-around programs?

I would doubt it, but you could probably ask someone in the CSO. Or a transfer from a previous year. I just know that those walk arounds are for specific schools only.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:44 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Are transfer outs allowed to participate in walk-around programs?

Not unless you transfer to another school participating in the program.

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:52 pm

Just realized I misspelled the name of a firm I applied to last week throughout my entire CL. Great.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:54 pm

I don't think they are supposed to but they can by delaying accepting their transfer program. We had the biggest dickhead in the world who (of course) was transferring to Harvard, still show up for our NY off campus. Fuck that guy.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”