WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MtheG

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby MtheG » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:14 pm

acr wrote:
MtheG wrote:Some thoughts on scheduling:

*The bankruptcy multiple choice test is very hard and getting up that early is a struggle.
*IBT will be HP/P/F next semester so that is good but I have to admit that it's a frustrating class.
*You should only take Corporations with Sale or Badawi.

Why not Tuch?

He is very boring and I think Sale and Badawi make the subject more digestible. I am also very high on Badawi because he gives you 4-5 old practice tests with model answers. If you literally do the work In Badawi then you will be in a good position for the final exam. With that said, Badawi does more partnership, LLC, and closely held corps stuff than the others. Sale is almost exclusively M&A.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:15 pm

I loved Badawi, but I have heard he isn't teaching it this year. I know he is working on a casebook.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:18 pm

acr wrote:
MtheG wrote:Some thoughts on scheduling:

*The bankruptcy multiple choice test is very hard and getting up that early is a struggle.
*IBT will be HP/P/F next semester so that is good but I have to admit that it's a frustrating class.
*You should only take Corporations with Sale or Badawi.

Why not Tuch?

Because Badawi and Sale are awesome.

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:20 pm

hoos89 wrote:
ek5dn wrote:If the firm I'm applying to uses one of those online application forms, and it asks to specify which office you're applying for (location) and I'm open to working in more than one office, should I apply twice - one for each office? Will the application be sent to different recruiting coordinators/managers?

As someone who had a fair amount of success mass-mailing: those forms are black holes in my experience, and a huge time suck. I always just used e-mail. And to the extent you're filling those out, no I wouldn't send multiple. If it only lets you pick one, check their biggest office and move on.

Ugh really? I already submitted 5-7 of those...so you would recommend just skipping the online form altogether and emailing the recruiter directly?

For the firms I already used the online process for, do you think it would be too soon to email my application materials to the recruiter after the july 4th weekend, basically saying that I wanted to make sure the firm got the materials?

Thanks!

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:23 pm

Wrt to online apps, I usually emailed directly, then if they responded with use our online app, I did that.

valen

Postby valen » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:32 pm

Thanks everyone for the advice

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:52 pm

sublime wrote:Wrt to online apps, I usually emailed directly, then if they responded with use our online app, I did that.

This is what I did as well.

And if you already applied using the online form then just leave it be.

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:05 pm

acr wrote:How about Law&Econ/Contract Theory Seminar/Corporations/Evidence/Employment Discrimination/Law&Policy Journal? Doable or insane?

This is doable but not ideal at least imo.
sublime wrote:My rule of thumb was never more than 3 exams in a semester. Fill the rest with p/f shit like trial/pretrial and weekend classes.

Fiero85 wrote:
valen wrote:Advice on whether this schedule seems manageable? I am also doing a journal.

bankruptcy / commercial law / corporations / fed tax / intl business trac

I'm considering subbing in UCC art 2 or pre trial for bankruptcy. I know a few of you have said bankruptcy + comm law is a great combo, but bankruptcy is so early in the morning. Is the overlap really worth getting to school at 7:30?

^Way too much for one semester.

That schedule is insane. Take pretrial.

Ref

Postby Ref » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:45 pm

sublime wrote:My rule of thumb was never more than 3 exams in a semester. Fill the rest with p/f shit like trial/pretrial and weekend classes.

TCR

robert88

Postby robert88 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:57 pm

sublime wrote:I loved Badawi, but I have heard he isn't teaching it this year. I know he is working on a casebook.

I think he is going to become a visiting professor at NU, and probably won't be back before c/o 2018 graduates

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:01 pm

robert88 wrote:
sublime wrote:I loved Badawi, but I have heard he isn't teaching it this year. I know he is working on a casebook.

I think he is going to become a visiting professor at NU, and probably won't be back before c/o 2018 graduates

Damn, that sucks. He is a good prof with a normal exam. I have heard Sale is good, but fuck that exam.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:08 pm

sublime wrote:
robert88 wrote:

Damn, that sucks. He is a good prof with a normal exam. I have heard Sale is good, but fuck that exam.

Yeah, Badawi is definitely well received by all the students. Rumors are that Sale is also going to leave after next semester.

MtheG

Postby MtheG » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:13 pm

Also, for all those planning on taking seminars, I would strongly suggest that you do web searches for old grade distributions. Seminars can be a huge GPA boost and you need to pick one that has the highest historic medians. For example, the Chapter 11 seminar historically has a 3.64 median while the Law & Econ seminar had something like a 3.56.

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:51 pm

thoughts on whether it's better to wait until after the July 4th weekend before sending any more applications or whether it's okay to email people tomorrow (Friday) afternoon?

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:54 pm

valen wrote:Advice on whether this schedule seems manageable? I am also doing a journal.

bankruptcy / commercial law / corporations / fed tax / intl business trac

I'm considering subbing in UCC art 2 or pre trial for bankruptcy. I know a few of you have said bankruptcy + comm law is a great combo, but bankruptcy is so early in the morning. Is the overlap really worth getting to school at 7:30?

lmao I'm basically taking the same classes as you, except I'm taking information privacy law and contract theory seminar and not fed tax. I feel like if people knew that international business transactions is a weekend class, they would be more okay with the schedule...am I wrong? Does my schedule seem crazy, too? :shock:

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:08 pm

Yes. Even with IBT being a weekend class, taking 4 of Corps, Fed Tax, Commercial, and Bankruptcy is too much. 3/4 is fine, but plenty.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:14 pm

I would like to apologize for my recent behavior on this forum. I let my passions get the best of me, and I think if I explain my side of the story, you all may learn to understand.

When I started at Wash U, I joined a club. I wont say which one, but I was treated terribly by 2L's (this past year's 3Ls). See I come from an under privileged background, and I am not very articulate. I was called "white trash," had pages ripped from my casebooks, and even had someone spit in my food. The only people who were at my side were the class of 2017. If it weren't for them, I probably would not have made it this far.

I hope you all can forgive me.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Sorry that happened to you man.

You are good here though, just don't act like an idiot and no worries.

cm_burns

Postby cm_burns » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:18 pm

I'm taking Tuch because I couldn't get into Sale, even trying to register immediately when registration went live. Sounds like I'm at least avoiding a horrible exam.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:I would like to apologize for my recent behavior on this forum. I let my passions get the best of me, and I think if I explain my side of the story, you all may learn to understand.

When I started at Wash U, I joined a club. I wont say which one, but I was treated terribly by 2L's (this past year's 3Ls). See I come from an under privileged background, and I am not very articulate. I was called "white trash," had pages ripped from my casebooks, and even had someone spit in my food. The only people who were at my side were the class of 2017. If it weren't for them, I probably would not have made it this far.

I'm not sure that's an excuse to act like a jerk, but hegemonic forces can definitely be problematic at Wash U. Although I never had pages ripped out of my books, I could definitely feel hegemonic forces pressing upon me when dealing with certain groups of people at Wash U. I'm not sure how to combat it, but it's culturally problematic.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:47 pm

cm_burns wrote:I'm taking Tuch because I couldn't get into Sale, even trying to register immediately when registration went live. Sounds like I'm at least avoiding a horrible exam.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:I would like to apologize for my recent behavior on this forum. I let my passions get the best of me, and I think if I explain my side of the story, you all may learn to understand.

I'm not sure that's an excuse to act like a jerk, but hegemonic forces can definitely be problematic at Wash U. Although I never had pages ripped out of my books, I could definitely feel hegemonic forces pressing upon me when dealing with certain groups of people at Wash U. I'm not sure how to combat it, but it's culturally problematic.

I'm not sure that made sense

FuturePaulClement

Postby FuturePaulClement » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:52 pm

cm_burns wrote:I'm taking Tuch because I couldn't get into Sale, even trying to register immediately when registration went live. Sounds like I'm at least avoiding a horrible exam.

Interacting with classmates from different backgrounds is always a challenge, particularly in an environment as competitive as law school. I had the most difficulty when classmates approached me with questions. I have intense social anxiety so I don't function well in pressure situations like group conversations. I know all the material, so I get questions constantly.

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:16 pm

...what hegemonic forces in particular are you talking about?

cm_burns

Postby cm_burns » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:29 pm

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:

I'm not sure that made sense

ek5dn wrote:

...what hegemonic forces in particular are you talking about?

Socio-economically and culturally Wash U law is hegemonic; people of anglo-colonial descent who prize resource acquisition over promoting the agency of all peoples. If one falls outside of this hegemony it's easy to feel marginalization and socio-alienation in interactions in physical and socio-political spaces with other law students. That's what I mean by the hegemonic forces at Wash U feeling like they can be pressing upon students.

whatwhatinthebutt

Postby whatwhatinthebutt » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:29 pm

Let's just move on. Hegemony was just today's word in his word-of-the-day calendar.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:30 pm

Well at least no one takes themselves too seriously

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”