WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Yea, I had some friends who did that. Shermer is supposed to be awesome too, but I never had him and he teaches bankruptcy and I think co-teaches the seminar with Keating. If you like them and are interested in the subject, Bankruptcy+Comm Law first semester then the seminar second semester is really solid, esp as Ref said, you have to learn basic bankruptcy shit for comm law.

washingtongirl

Postby washingtongirl » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:37 pm

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx wrote:
sublime wrote:
hahaha "ETA" wow get a life

Alright, if you continue to shit up this thread, you will be banned.

ETA: certainly not infallible and you are welcome to criticize my opinions substantively. I obviously like many rising 3L's, although collectively, it has been one thing after another.

If you want to ban me go ahead. But I had to make an account to stick up for the rising 3L's. I've seen you and others on many occasions bash our entire class. Not all rising 3L's are unethical. If you really have rising 3L friends, how do you look them in the face after all you have said about them. I'm sorry if I was rude. But you have painted every rising 3L's face with the same, broad brush. I'm tired of just passively sitting by and watching my class be defamed on the internet for all to see.

I typically don't comment on this page (I have only one post ha!) but I did want to say one thing in defense of the 2Ls. It is very very very frustrating and nerve wrecking to be starting OCI without knowing if we are even qualified for some of these screeners. Even assuming that it is not the journal/LR committee's fault for this delay, some kind of update to the class letting us know when we should expect to receive results is not unreasonable. Some of you 3Ls said it yourself -- it's taking longer than expected. So how do you think it feels for us not to have any information about this? An email saying hey guys, we are getting these to you as quick as we can is better than nothing. It's about managing expectations and communicating, and that seems to be a major issue for student leaders the law school. I'm just saying -- rise to the occasion. For those of us who did put time (and effort for many) in to complete write-on it is almost as agonizing as not having grades back because this can affect our immediate future. That's why we are irritated.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Ref wrote:
sublime wrote:

ETA: certainly not infallible and you are welcome to criticize my opinions substantively. I obviously like many rising 3L's, although collectively, it has been one thing after another.

If you want to ban me go ahead. But I had to make an account to stick up for the rising 3L's. I've seen you and others on many occasions bash our entire class. Not all rising 3L's are unethical. If you really have rising 3L friends, how do you look them in the face after all you have said about them. I'm sorry if I was rude. But you have painted every rising 3L's face with the same, broad brush. I'm tired of just passively sitting by and watching my class be defamed on the internet for all to see.

Your lack of self-awareness is hilarious. I wish you all the best in what's sure to be a long road ahead.

More on point, ek5dn: Commercial Law is a tough class, but if you're interested in taking a business-oriented course load, there's a fair amount of overlap between Commercial Law and Bankruptcy that I found made both a bit easier to digest, and BK ends pretty early in the semester. But if you're looking for a GPA pad, make sure you take the reorganization seminar in spring semester. It has a ridiculously high curve, and very manageable workload.

Wow you're clearly a troll.

WUSTLaw

Postby WUSTLaw » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:42 pm

Thank you washington girl for summarizing my thoughts EXACTLY.

washingtongirl wrote:
sublime wrote:

I typically don't comment on this page (I have only one post ha!) but I did want to say one thing in defense of the 2Ls. It is very very very frustrating and nerve wrecking to be starting OCI without knowing if we are even qualified for some of these screeners. Even assuming that it is not the journal/LR committee's fault for this delay, some kind of update to the class letting us know when we should expect to receive results is not unreasonable. Some of you 3Ls said it yourself -- it's taking longer than expected. So how do you think it feels for us not to have any information about this? An email saying hey guys, we are getting these to you as quick as we can is better than nothing. It's about managing expectations and communicating, and that seems to be a major issue for student leaders the law school. I'm just saying -- rise to the occasion. For those of us who did put time (and effort for many) in to complete write-on it is almost as agonizing as not having grades back because this can affect our immediate future. That's why we are irritated.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:42 pm

washingtongirl wrote:
sublime wrote:

We all know why you are irritated and empathize with you. Hopefully they go out soon.

Ppl were arguing about rising 3L's (c/o 2017) not rising 2L's (your class, c/o 2018) (at least that I saw), so no worries.

Good luck with OCI!

washingtongirl

Postby washingtongirl » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:44 pm

sublime wrote:
washingtongirl wrote:
sublime wrote:

We all know why you are irritated and empathize with you. Hopefully they go out soon.

Ppl were arguing about rising 3L's (c/o 2017) not rising 2L's (your class, c/o 2018) (at least that I saw), so no worries.

Good luck with OCI!

I just picked a random thread. Sorry. I didn't feel like spending the time to locate the exact TLS fight to respond to. But I just want to clarify the frustration. Thanks!

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:46 pm

Oh, you're fine. Just wanted to make sure that you guys knew that my (and some other's) criticisms and the back and forth of the class was for rising 3L's.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:49 pm

I just talked to the CSO today, and they got the information from the registrar's office that journal news will be out some time this week. It is not a guarantee since they have no control over who gets selected, but it is very likely.

washingtongirl

Postby washingtongirl » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:52 pm

robert88 wrote:I just talked to the CSO today, and they got the information from the registrar's office that journal news will be out some time this week. It is not a guarantee since they have no control over who gets selected, but it is very likely.

How nice that the CSO is the one receiving updates and NOT disseminating that information to us. Typical. Thanks for the update.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:55 pm

washingtongirl wrote:
robert88 wrote:I just talked to the CSO today, and they got the information from the registrar's office that journal news will be out some time this week. It is not a guarantee since they have no control over who gets selected, but it is very likely.

How nice that the CSO is the one receiving updates and NOT disseminating that information to us. Typical. Thanks for the update.

It's on the committee though. CSO doesn't want to tell you something like "by Friday" because it is not their thing and they can't control it. Afaik, the journals do a "draft" type thing and email you guys individually, so it is pretty much completely dependent on the students. I wish the committee would email you guys an update though, because I think a 3L said they got there's like 2 weeks before this last year.

This is also why I am somewhat suspicious of anybody blaming it on administration.

washingtongirl

Postby washingtongirl » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:57 pm

sublime wrote:
washingtongirl wrote:

It's on the committee though. CSO doesn't want to tell you something like "by Friday" because it is not their thing and they can't control it. Afaik, the journals do a "draft" type thing and email you guys individually, so it is pretty much completely dependent on the students. I wish the committee would email you guys an update though, because I think a 3L said they got there's like 2 weeks before this last year.

This is also why I am somewhat suspicious of anybody blaming it on administration.

True. Agreed.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:07 pm

acr wrote:
Pro Brono wrote:
Also, the delay in journal decisions is being caused by the administration.

care to elaborate?

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:22 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
acr wrote:
Pro Brono wrote:
Also, the delay in journal decisions is being caused by the administration.

care to elaborate?

why do I have a feeling that this thread is going to generate an above the law article?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:29 pm

Someone asked about contacting alumni earlier and didn't really get a response on point. Personally I'd recommend emailing a handful of alumni at a time in addition to the mass mail process. I got a few interviews by sending an application to the recruiting person and then emailing an alum something to the effect of "HI I'm a student at wustl. I recently applied to your firm and I was wondering if you'd have a few minutes to talk about it." Id also attach my resume (I forget how I couched that in the email though). But yeah try to avoid being too direct or demanding. A lot of people responded and a few definitely got my resume out of the big pile. One partner just cc'd me on an email with the recruiting person and told her to set up an interview. I think I got about 5 interviews doing this, but I also waited until September to do it or else I might have gotten more. It's relatively time consuming so I'd focus these efforts on your top choice market.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:53 pm

washingtongirl wrote:
sublime wrote:

"Rise to the occasion"....Easy to say when you're not the one who has to read a bunch of shitty submissions. If what Sprout said is right that 1/3 of all submissions hit the wrong issue, that would have thrown a monkey wrench in the whole god damned process.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:06 pm

washingtongirl wrote:
sublime wrote:

"Rise to the occasion"....Easy to say when you're not the one who has to read a bunch of shitty submissions. If what Sprout said is right that 1/3 of all submissions hit the wrong issue, that would have thrown a monkey wrench in the whole god damned process.

How would it have thrown a monkey wrench in the process, exactly?

washingtongirl

Postby washingtongirl » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:10 pm

washingtongirl wrote:
sublime wrote:

Reading "shitty submissions" is wholly unrelated to 1) being a leader and communicating effectively to the people who one purports to lead. Communicating just that, that the submissions were difficult to parse through for any number of reasons which contributes to a delay in offering membership including that one is still what a leader should do. 2) I'm not talking about the quality of the submissions. I'm specifically talking about how the write-on process operates before and after the actual write on week.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:12 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
washingtongirl wrote:
sublime wrote:

How do you think!? Get your head out of the god damned sand PnJ! It would have fucked up all of the grading. Imagine being in a poor rising 3L's shoes: 1/3 of the submissions are completely fucked, just red herrings all over the place, you may have to change the grading in order to differentiate them.

lososos

Postby lososos » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:13 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
washingtongirl wrote:
sublime wrote:

Honestly don't know what this person (lawschoolishard) is talking about. I graded a bunch, almost half of which were on the "wrong issue," and at least for Law Review it didn't make the process harder from a grading standpoint. I can't see why the fact that this happened would make selection harder, either.

To me personally this is more evidence that the problem wasn't very good than it is evidence of anything else.

acr

Postby acr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:14 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
washingtongirl wrote:
sublime wrote:

Was just about to ask the same thing.

And lol @ "shitty submissions." Most 1L's have never seen or written a law review note before. So all of us were writing something totally unfamiliar to us about a complex topic, under a 6 day time constraint where many people were travelling home, the week after a stressful finals period, with nothing more than a couple samples to go off of and absolutely zero assistance or communication from anyone in a position to help. Sorry if they weren't absolute perfection.

valen

Postby valen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:14 pm

I'd recommend just ignoring this troll :roll:

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:29 pm

To be clear, Sprout graded like 20 or so, and says just of her small sample like a third were off issue.

Also, ime "shitty submissions" were entirely effort based, but that was last year. If you put the time into it, even if you missed the issue, it was obvious. It was also obvious if you started two days before the deadline.

As far as fucking stuff up, I doubt it would. Graders give a score, score is averaged, people are placed in order by score, list is made from that.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:41 pm

How do you think!? Get your head out of the god damned sand PnJ! It would have fucked up all of the grading. Imagine being in a poor rising 3L's shoes: 1/3 of the submissions are completely fucked, just red herrings all over the place, you may have to change the grading in order to differentiate them.

I'm pretty sure the rubric accounts for off topic submissions. There's a ton of crap submissions every year, including a fair number that aren't on topic or good faith. It's not that hard, and I have no pity for the "poor rising 3Ls" who have apparently grossly mishandled this process.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:46 pm

hoos89 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the rubric accounts for off topic submissions. There's a ton of crap submissions every year, including a fair number that aren't on topic or good faith. It's not that hard, and I have no pity for the "poor rising 3Ls" who have apparently grossly mishandled this process.

Not going to lie, I lawled at this.

MtheG

Postby MtheG » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:03 pm

LR started giving out journal offers.
Last edited by MtheG on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”