WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
acr

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby acr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:08 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Considering how so many people opted out of write-on and our smaller class size, each person must have had to grade relatively fewer submissions.

Just lol wustttl just lol

fucking exactly

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:09 am

MtheG wrote:I am on an E-board of a journal and it seems like the write on process caused a lot of drama this year. It needs to be seriously examined and perhaps even redesigned.

Could you share more without violating any confidentiality or outing anybody? What was the problem exactly, if not a few incredibly lazy and unethical individuals?

marcusme

Postby marcusme » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:14 am

MtheG wrote:I am on an E-board of a journal and it seems like the write on process caused a lot of drama this year. It needs to be seriously examined and perhaps even redesigned.

Please elaborate. :)

acr

Postby acr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:15 am

marcusme wrote:

Please elaborate. :)

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:26 am

I was serious when I said that the c/o 2017 can't really do anything without fucking it up. This just gets added to the long list.

Although they did seem to do well with jobs, so there's that, I guess.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:37 am

Joscellin wrote:
lososos wrote:Could a rising 2L post the c/o 2018 cutoffs?

cutoff GPA
1% 3.99
5% 3.88
10% 3.81
15% 3.78
20% 3.74
25% 3.71
33 1/3% 3.67
Class Size = 207

Sorry formatting, posting from phone

Edit: Fixing formatting

Wow the GPA inflation is insane and look at how tightly packed the percentage cutoffs are!

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:40 am

hoos89 wrote:
acr wrote:
robert88 wrote:anybody else finds the OCI firms are on the disappointing side :? we each are allowed 50 bids, and I don't even see 50 firms on the list (discounting the direct sends/resume collect)

Yes, shockingly bad IMO. But better than some other schools I've seen.

This comes up in the thread pretty much every year so you really shouldn't be surprised by it. I doubt the list is materially worse than any recent year. Most of the firms interviewing will be at the off-campus programs in NYC, with a smattering added in DC, Chicago, LA, Texas, etc., so it's very important that you apply to those if you want a firm job (and all the more reason to mass mail). The Cravaths of the world aren't falling all over themselves to recruit kids from Wash U. It's just fine with them if they get 0 in any given summer class. This is a big part of why there's no lottery system at WUSTL: there just aren't enough firms to make it work.

You gotta hustle for your own job. Outside of the top 15-20% or so, you can't rely on OCI.

The good news is that if your grades are reasonably good top 25% or so and you manage to start your career at a midsize firm, you will have a pretty good shot of getting a big law job.

MtheG

Postby MtheG » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:59 am

Journal is full of bullshit drama which is tragic. I think the major problem is that as a 1L and as a 2L you go through an extreme amount of stress and professional hazing and then as a 3L you get to be powerful in journal. In turn, this tends to lead to a lot of abuse of power. In terms of write on itself, I know the meetings between the four journals regarding the process were not exactly smooth and had a lot of passive aggressive bickering. I also know that the bluebook grade rubric was not complete and that a lot of 1Ls actually picked up on mistakes that were not included in the grade sheet. Finally, many 1Ls submitted less than good faith efforts and several (at least 15-20% of the pool) wrote on the wrong issue. I highly doubt that this write on has been any worse than others but we all came in to leadership thinking we would do things differently and the same crap is happening. I like journal and I am proud to be on E-board but I really do not like the whole journal X is better than journal Y because they publish one more issue or because their office is bigger.

Also, I will say that write on is almost completely dictated by Law Review. They dominate the process and I think that the process needs to become a lot more collaborative. Frankly, I think a rotation system where journals trade off leadership every year would be a really positive step.
Last edited by MtheG on Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

valen

Postby valen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:02 am

Are we allowed to discuss the issue now? Would like to find out which was correct.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:03 am

It's law students with a tiny amount of power, man. Of course it is going to be dumb. Although it seems that last year was relatively okay, but the people writing on the wrong issue seems to happen regularly based on the ones I graded - and at a way higher rate than I previously assumed.

LR is unquestionably the "best" journal to be on, however, it also seems to be reliably full of dickheads (of course there are LR people I like though).

MtheG

Postby MtheG » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:06 am

I am not going to discuss the issues until after journal assignments. Law students are neurotic and there is nothing to be gained by worrying that you might not get an offer because you wrote on the wrong issue. Once journal assignments come out, I will do a little post about the issues.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:10 am

I mean I don't think write-on amounted to "professional hazing." Like it sucked, but I learned more about bluebooking in that one week than I did all year from LP. I think it was a worthwhile exercise.

valen

Postby valen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:37 am

MtheG wrote:I am not going to discuss the issues until after journal assignments. Law students are neurotic and there is nothing to be gained by worrying that you might not get an offer because you wrote on the wrong issue. Once journal assignments come out, I will do a little post about the issues.

that's understandable, thanks for the info

Pro Brono

Postby Pro Brono » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:04 pm

sublime wrote:And journal leadership (esp LR) tends to be more of the same.

sublime wrote:I hope it is LR that fucked up.

sublime wrote:LR . . . seems to be reliably full of dickheads

Lol, what's with the hate, man. I don't care enough about journals to defend/attack any of them, but I don't understand the bizarre politics that go on as if they're pitted against each other or something. There are people I like and dislike on all four journals, just like any other grouping of ~80 people. The constant shit talking between journals is like an even more annoying Greek life scene, but with nerds.

Also, the delay in journal decisions is being caused by the administration.

MoonSugar

Postby MoonSugar » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:11 pm

MtheG wrote:and several (at least 15-20% of the pool) wrote on the wrong issue.

I approached write-on thinking there was no right issue and that it was the quality of your comment that essentially mattered and I think this probably screwed me up. Before write-on, I read a post from someone grading submissions saying that it's good to get a little creative with your topic because reading the same topic over and over again is incredibly boring and not always a good thing. :? So now I'm a little worried.

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:13 pm

Pro Brono wrote:

Lol, what's with the hate, man. I don't care enough about journals to defend/attack any of them, but I don't understand the bizarre politics that go on as if they're pitted against each other or something. There are people I like and dislike on all four journals, just like any other grouping of ~80 people. The constant shit talking between journals is like an even more annoying Greek life scene, but with nerds.

Totally bizarre.

acr

Postby acr » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:15 pm

Pro Brono wrote:

care to elaborate?

MtheG

Postby MtheG » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:16 pm

For those that will inevitably work themselves into a fit over whether they wrote on the wrong thing, please note that the journals accept MANY people that wrote on the wrong issue. Yes, journals have penalties in their rubrics for it but overall quality really helps. Moreover, since the pool was small this year, the chances of an offer are good.

marcusme

Postby marcusme » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Pro Brono wrote:Also, the delay in journal decisions is being caused by the administration.

If this is some poorly-conceived scheme to deter students from transferring, it's backfiring.

valen

Postby valen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:17 pm

acr wrote:
Pro Brono wrote:

care to elaborate?

Also, any idea when we can expect decisions?

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Pro Brono wrote:

Policy, Global, and JRev seem to get along just fine.

Without a doubt, if you can get on LR, you should, but speaking from my experiences, LR tends to take this shit more seriously than they probably should and that turns people off.

But whatever, to the extent it ever actually affected me (not much at all) it certainly does not any longer. I sincerely hope LR (and all the other journals) have a good, drama free year. I don't really expect that to happen, but wtv.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:24 pm

MtheG wrote:For those that will inevitably work themselves into a fit over whether they wrote on the wrong thing, please note that the journals accept MANY people that wrote on the wrong issue. Yes, journals have penalties in their rubrics for it but overall quality really helps. Moreover, since the pool was small this year, the chances of an offer are good.

Yea, I agree with this though. You probably won't write onto LR, but especially if the participation rate was as low as has been said, if you made a good faith effort your chances to get an offer from some secondary are good.

Also, nothing you can do about it right now regardless.

xxLawSchoolIsHardxx

Postby xxLawSchoolIsHardxx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:31 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:

Could you share more without violating any confidentiality or outing anybody? What was the problem exactly, if not a few incredibly lazy and unethical individuals?

How bout you mind your own business!? 1L's who aren't on journal has no right to ask those kinds of questions. :oops:

valen

Postby valen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:34 pm

^^^ lol that this person just created an account to post that response

WUSTLaw

Postby WUSTLaw » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:44 pm

I had an account before...couldn't remember my username or password.

Should we be sending out direct sends before journal resutls come out? Or would it be better to wait?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”