WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
robert88

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby robert88 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:14 pm

It looks like all grades are out. Will the cutoff come out tomorrow?

Joscellin wrote:
robert88 wrote:Levin is up!

He's the last one ya? Time to pray to the cutoffs gods.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:15 pm

robert88 wrote:It looks like all grades are out. Will the cutoff come out tomorrow?

Joscellin wrote:
robert88 wrote:Levin is up!

He's the last one ya? Time to pray to the cutoffs gods.

I'm pretty sure it was a quick turnaround last semester. Fingers crossed for the same this time.

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:49 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:Not as if I have any control, but which of the 1L Fall profs should I be hoping to get? http://law.wustl.edu/registrar/coursedir/2016-2017/FL16-1Lgrid.pdf

Is this the first time supersections are mixed? A has Property with B, but Contracts with D. Is that only weird to me? To answer the question, I'll echo the sentiments here and say A is what you should be hoping for, but it comes with a grain of salt from all of us because Miller, Sachs, and Epps are all new as far as I know

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:23 pm

Of the professors teaching, I've had drobak, Tamanaha, and greenfield. All are absolutely excellent, each for very different reasons with a very different style. I've heard good things about badawi, and not so good things about magarian.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:32 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Of the professors teaching, I've had drobak, Tamanaha, and greenfield. All are absolutely excellent, each for very different reasons with a very different style. I've heard good things about badawi, and not so good things about magarian.

I had Magarian for an upper level class, and I thought he was great. I have no idea how he approaches con law though.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:42 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Of the professors teaching, I've had drobak, Tamanaha, and greenfield. All are absolutely excellent, each for very different reasons with a very different style. I've heard good things about badawi, and not so good things about magarian.

I had Magarian for an upper level class, and I thought he was great. I have no idea how he approaches con law though.

Same here.

markham1321

Postby markham1321 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Magarian is the man. His exam sucks but he's passionate and a great professor.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:41 pm

Agreed, not fun to have a 24 hour exam for sure, but he is definitely a very knowledgeable and passionate professor.
markham1321 wrote:Magarian is the man. His exam sucks but he's passionate and a great professor.

valen

Postby valen » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:33 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:Not as if I have any control, but which of the 1L Fall profs should I be hoping to get? http://law.wustl.edu/registrar/coursedir/2016-2017/FL16-1Lgrid.pdf

Is this the first time supersections are mixed? A has Property with B, but Contracts with D. Is that only weird to me? To answer the question, I'll echo the sentiments here and say A is what you should be hoping for, but it comes with a grain of salt from all of us because Miller, Sachs, and Epps are all new as far as I know

Not the first time. 1Ls had mixed super sections this past spring semester.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:41 pm

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:40 pm

houritsu wrote:

IMO Greenfield is a fantastic professor to have first semester. He's pretty intimidating during class, but he really walks you through the process of how to approach law school (midterm exam w/ negligible impact on final grade, outline review sessions, etc.). That being said, though, during the semester his class was probably the biggest source of stress for me, and I really only came to appreciate his style at the start of the Spring semester.

I had nightmares about his class. His exams must be written in a style that is very distinct from what every other Professor looks for, with a very precise nit-picky statement of the issue and concise analysis. He's good to learn from as a first semester law student, but I have a very negative opinion about the dark pall that he cast over the classroom discussion with his icy demeanor and intimidating style. Also, God forbid that you should ever be caught unprepared in his class. I was grilled for an entire lecture period on a case that I had not read. It was not a good time.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:47 pm

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:48 pm

The ranking is out, and good luck to everybody wishing to transfer!

valen

Postby valen » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:51 pm

edit: scooped

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:01 pm

sublime wrote:Grads: Do we ever lose access to our email account?

c/o 2014: still going strong.

konar

Postby konar » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:47 am

houritsu wrote:

IMO Greenfield is a fantastic professor to have first semester. He's pretty intimidating during class, but he really walks you through the process of how to approach law school (midterm exam w/ negligible impact on final grade, outline review sessions, etc.). That being said, though, during the semester his class was probably the biggest source of stress for me, and I really only came to appreciate his style at the start of the Spring semester.

Jmart082 wrote:
houritsu wrote:

I had nightmares about his class. His exams must be written in a style that is very distinct from what every other Professor looks for, with a very precise nit-picky statement of the issue and concise analysis. He's good to learn from as a first semester law student, but I have a very negative opinion about the dark pall that he cast over the classroom discussion with his icy demeanor and intimidating style. Also, God forbid that you should ever be caught unprepared in his class. I was grilled for an entire lecture period on a case that I had not read. It was not a good time.

Greenfield is a very polarizing professor. He is by far the most demanding professor at the law school in terms of day to day preparation. If he calls on you for a main case, he is going to stay on you for its entirety whether you are prepared or not. This leads to some very uncomfortable situations when someone is unprepared or simply isn't understanding the case. On the other hand, it is somewhat rewarding when you are able to get through a case smoothly. He is very straightforward with what he expects on exams, and its actually refreshing not to be in some 15k word typing race to get a 4.0 or higher for some of us :lol: .

Drobak, on the other hand, is pretty much loved by everyone who takes him.

townizm

Postby townizm » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:55 am

Is their any students taking JD/MS program?
How long will it take to get dual degree? And how about their summer associates?
I'm interested in MSEE and I asked to admission office and they said it will take longer than 4 years to get JD/engineering MS. :(

robert88

Postby robert88 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:27 am

The most common JD/MS has been MS in social work, and that takes 4 years. Engineering alone will take about 2 years if you are lucky, so I highly doubt you can do that plus JD in 4.
townizm wrote:Is their any students taking JD/MS program?
How long will it take to get dual degree? And how about their summer associates?
I'm interested in MSEE and I asked to admission office and they said it will take longer than 4 years to get JD/engineering MS. :(

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:53 pm

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:09 pm

sublime wrote:Thanks TD.

Anyone have a guess when upperclass percentile tables will be out?

I'd wager that it'd happen some time within the next week (business days). The registrar is updating the distributions as she goes, and some of the grades (white collar) weren't finalized until today. You still looking good for Order of the Queef, Sublime?
Last edited by Jmart082 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:15 pm

konar wrote:
houritsu wrote:

Jmart082 wrote:
houritsu wrote:

Greenfield is a very polarizing professor. He is by far the most demanding professor at the law school in terms of day to day preparation. If he calls on you for a main case, he is going to stay on you for its entirety whether you are prepared or not. This leads to some very uncomfortable situations when someone is unprepared or simply isn't understanding the case. On the other hand, it is somewhat rewarding when you are able to get through a case smoothly. He is very straightforward with what he expects on exams, and its actually refreshing not to be in some 15k word typing race to get a 4.0 or higher for some of us :lol: .

Drobak, on the other hand, is pretty much loved by everyone who takes him.

Agree with everything that you just said. I personally take objection to having a classroom discussion/experience that is rooted in fear and intimidation. Life is bad enough for a 1L, and throwing a tough as nails professor into the equation is totally unnecessary, imho. But as I said, he is well liked by those who appreciate that sort of thing.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:53 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
sublime wrote:Thanks TD.

Anyone have a guess when upperclass percentile tables will be out?

I'd wager that it'd happen some time within the next week (business days). The registrar is updating the distributions as she goes, and some of the grades (white collar) weren't finalized until today. You still looking good for Order of the Queef, Sublime?

I went by the Registrar recently and she seemed to be totally swamped at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if things come out a bit slowly.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:02 pm

While Greenfield is more demanding in class and has higher expectations, the amount of readings he assigns is substantially less than other professors. It was like 20 pages tops per class.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:10 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:While Greenfield is more demanding in class and has higher expectations, the amount of readings he assigns is substantially less than other professors. It was like 20 pages tops per class.

Damn how many pages were your professors giving out? More than 20 pages was a big assignment from most of my professors in law school. Badawi's contracts class was more like 15/class.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:23 pm

I might have been overestimating. He's certainly assigned <10 pages many times. Actually, if you skipped the notes like I did, it comes out to like 2 or 3 3-5 page cases. Some classes easily assign 20-30, but you could skip the notes so it's always more like 15-20 I guess.

I mean if you're having trouble staying on top of 5-15 pages of readings for a class every other day, Greenfield isn't the problem. As long as you've done the reading, you don't have to get every bit of nuance. The process of cold calling is to teach you how to spot the proper issues and analyze the nuance.

Just don't be afraid to be wrong. When Greenfield asked me a question, I answered with what I was thinking. So what if I was wrong 50% or more of the time? He corrects me and I learn. Just chill and law school will be fine.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”