WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
fl0w

Re: WUSTL 1L Taking Questions

Postby fl0w » Thu May 19, 2011 6:49 pm

samfii wrote:Thanks Punisha and Romo, I drive one of the newer Camrys and it's pretty darn heavy so i'm not worried about it being too light, I was just worried about my tires not being able to handle the cold... I'm just bracing myself for the coldness/snow :shock:

everyone that i know that is from California and tried to drive here in bad snow was seriously scared and/or actually got in a car accident.

All purpose tires are fine, but when the snow gets really bad seriously just have a friend drive you to school who is used to the snow.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:59 pm

Used to the snow, not used to the snow, 12 years old and blind... all these people are better drivers than the typical Missouran.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu May 19, 2011 9:05 pm

seatown12 wrote:Used to the snow, not used to the snow, 12 years old and blind... all these people are better drivers than the typical Missouran.
MO driver pulling into an intersection despite being able to clearly see that the car in front of them had to stop in the middle of the crosswalk = RAGE

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Thu May 19, 2011 9:13 pm

Is the snow really such an issue? I was planning on trading my 12 year old ML in for a Prius...

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu May 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:27 pm

stratocophic wrote:
seatown12 wrote:Used to the snow, not used to the snow, 12 years old and blind... all these people are better drivers than the typical Missouran.
MO driver pulling into an intersection despite being able to clearly see that the car in front of them had to stop in the middle of the crosswalk = RAGE

The best is when there's another lane that's wide open, but the Missouran decides to stay in the intersection anyway.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu May 19, 2011 10:50 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:Is the snow really such an issue? I was planning on trading my 12 year old ML in for a Prius...

i own a prius. it's fine. I say this being a midwesterner.

californians, hitch a ride when it's bad.
done.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu May 19, 2011 10:56 pm

fl0w wrote:
bigjinjapan wrote:Is the snow really such an issue? I was planning on trading my 12 year old ML in for a Prius...

californians who don't know how to drive in snow, hitch a ride when it's bad.
done.

FTFY

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Fri May 20, 2011 12:05 am

Hannibal wrote:
fl0w wrote:

californians who don't know how to drive in snow, hitch a ride when it's bad.
done.

FTFY

i see what you did there but the two are, most often, synonymous.

samfii

Postby samfii » Fri May 20, 2011 1:18 am

Ok so one of the main reasons I wanted to bring my car out there is for the snowy days when I dont want to stand in the freezing cold/rain/snow and wait for the shuttle and rather drive myself on my own time. Now you guys (read: fl0w) are scaring me :-/ I'm a fairly safe driver but now I'm scared of slipping off the road or something :-/

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri May 20, 2011 1:30 am

samfii wrote:Ok so one of the main reasons I wanted to bring my car out there is for the snowy days when I dont want to stand in the freezing cold/rain/snow and wait for the shuttle and rather drive myself on my own time. Now you guys (read: fl0w) are scaring me :-/ I'm a fairly safe driver but now I'm scared of slipping off the road or something :-/
Eh just take it slow and don't do anything jerky like brake quickly or swerve. Driving in snow/ice isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If you're a good driver in the first place you shouldn't have problems. If not... you'll fit in nicely here.

samfii

Postby samfii » Fri May 20, 2011 2:57 am

stratocophic wrote:
samfii wrote:Ok so one of the main reasons I wanted to bring my car out there is for the snowy days when I dont want to stand in the freezing cold/rain/snow and wait for the shuttle and rather drive myself on my own time. Now you guys (read: fl0w) are scaring me :-/ I'm a fairly safe driver but now I'm scared of slipping off the road or something :-/
Eh just take it slow and don't do anything jerky like brake quickly or swerve. Driving in snow/ice isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If you're a good driver in the first place you shouldn't have problems. If not... you'll fit in nicely here.

haha I guess I will just be sure to drive extra grandma while i'm out there then
(kidding...kind of)

TwentyFive

Postby TwentyFive » Sat May 21, 2011 4:02 am

...I'd be fine without a car at all, riiiight?...

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat May 21, 2011 6:53 am

Ok, I'm from San Diego, which is about as California as you can get. I lived in South Dakota a few years back with 18" summer tires on my "sports car." Even driving through the passes, right before they got closed due to such heavy snowfall, I only had to hop off the freeway with everyone and throw chains on for about 10 miles. I'm not encouraging anyone else do this, all Im saying is that a large percentage of Californians gain points in one category I usually have seen drivers fail in, in the 15 or so other states I have driven in a lot in, having confidence in their driving abilities. Drive with confidence, all weather tires are definitely a plus (though I don't notice THAT much of a difference on my particular vehicle), but by all means if youre going to drive 20 mph slower than everyone around you out of fear, then dont drive, wherever you are from. The transplanted Californians I've seen drive in the snow have always faired at least as well as those around them. This is just my personal experience, living in three states where it snows, in the past three years.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:56 am

TwentyFive wrote:...I'd be fine without a car at all, riiiight?...

Not really, but you could make it work. Rely heavily on walkscore.com and try to live near the metro.

thepanda00

Postby thepanda00 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:50 pm

I received a recommendation to post a question here. This forum has been extremely helpful--thank you to the creator and those that have helped.

My question: I have been accepted to Wash U as a transfer. I am currently at Pace (a T3 in NY). I have family in STL, and would cut out my cost of living. I have a scholarship of about 20k at Pace and am top 10 percent. My goal is to eventually work for a NLJ 250 firm. However, this is not my goal right out of law school in this economy. I am in hopes of pursuing a route that will pay decent enough to pay off the large amount of loans I will have and get experience to laterally transfer in the civil sector to a higher paying job several years after.

I was hoping to get as many opinions as I could in what I should do. It would end up being about 28K more to go to Wash U these next 2 years after everything is factored in. With that said, do you think I should transfer, and if so, why/why not?

Finally, I would rather work in NYC but would not mind working in STL if that would be a substantially better route to take.

Thanks a lot!

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun May 22, 2011 11:46 pm

What's the deal with the metro link agreement wash u has? How expensive is it, and can grad students use it?

Would that be a viable option for someone living in CWE, or should I just suck it up and buy a parking pass?

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Mon May 23, 2011 12:14 am

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slt

Postby slt » Mon May 23, 2011 3:39 am

samfii wrote:Thanks Punisha and Romo, I drive one of the newer Camrys and it's pretty darn heavy so i'm not worried about it being too light, I was just worried about my tires not being able to handle the cold... I'm just bracing myself for the coldness/snow :shock:

Just wanted to help out in clarifying in case others had the same question regarding drivability in the snow:

For your specific car, fl0w and others gave good advice in telling you that you shouldn't worry about driving in non-blizzard-like snow conditions in a Camry with new all-season (A/S) tires. However, with no offense to any parties at all (and I personally know fl0w in real life except I’m just a lurker here, so s/he doesn’t know my TLS handle, but fl0w will know that I’m not here to call out others), it's not a good idea to blindly follow such advice for all types of cars ... So, the rest of this post is for others with the same question:

Someone above mentioned that she drove a "sports car" with slicks/summer tires in Midwestern snow ... I would say that it would be best to take that at face value because any two-door car, including a FWD Mitsubishi Eclipse with 18” wheels, 160 bhp, and 160 ft-lbs, would be a “sports car” to a layman. Anyways …

If you drive a front-wheel drive (FWD), all-wheel drive (AWD), or four-wheel drive (4WD) (and yes, there is a difference between AWD and 4WD) vehicle, then all-season tires should be good enough for you to drive normally in the snow. For a quick reference: Almost all current-model Asian cars that have four doors are FWD, and all Volkswagen/Audi are either FWD or AWD (Torsen or Haldex).

If you drive a rear-wheel drive (RWD) car, then I'd highly, highly suggest getting all-season tires, at the minimum, for the winter season. To further that, if your RWD produces high torque (around 300 ft-lbs or more at the crank), then it's almost imperative to have at least A/S tires for the cold season. Ideally, for such cars, you’d want to keep your summer tires for the warm weather and have a set of steelies with snow tires for the cold weather. If you have no idea, look up your car specifications to find out rather than run the risk of assuming that your car is FWD. For a quick reference: BMW and Porsche cars are never FWD (whether two-door or four-door, although some are AWD), and most other wide-bodied two-door cars, regardless or the make, will also never be FWD.

I just thought it’s important to note the differences because I personally think this topic is an important subject that most people overlook (i.e. remember on the first day of snow how there were at least five separate car collisions on Forest Park Parkway despite only one inch of snow?).

For a personal benchmark: I’ve predominately lived in the East Coast, but have been in St. Louis longer than most other WashU Law students. I drive a high horsepower, high torque RWD two-seater with ultra-high performance summer (UHPS) tires. Without any snow at all, I’ve already experienced several occasions when my rear slipped out in the cold weather (sub-40 degree weather) even though I wasn’t driving spiritedly at all (I drive extremely cautiously when the weather is not ideal).

One time, I was on Page Blvd (a little North of the Danforth and South40 campuses), and it just started to snow. My car started to slip out immediately as I pulled out of a parking lot from a restaurant and almost couldn’t make it up the ramp onto the main road (think maybe 3 mm of snow and I had to turn off all my traction control systems to force the power from cutting off to my rear wheels).

All but one of my friends with cars similar to mine switched out for A/S tires and can manage well in moderate snow as long as minimum power is brought to the wheels.

I personally didn’t feel like dishing out $800 for A/S tires when each of my UHPS tires was over $225, and I can just use my U-Pass to ride the shuttle to school for free during snow days. I can’t thank WashU more for providing the U-Pass system (albeit from our tuitions probably) on snowy days.

On the flip-side, my friend, who didn’t change to A/S, drives the current BMW M3 (a little less than 300 ft-lbs of torque) with summer tires, and until 2010, he was able to drive at <10 mph on flat roads back and forth from Brentwood Villas/Allegro and Danforth campus when he absolutely had to. None of my friends are sure how he actually managed to do so, but there’s no way he could’ve if he had to do stop-and-go traffic on hilly roads.

Anyways, this post ended up being long than I imagined … Like I said before, I really felt that this issue was highly overlooked (probably because most people drive FWD cars and will have little problems with the snow), and I hope that the post helps out others with questions about driving in the snow. Again, no offense to any of my colleagues who have greatly and generously dedicated a lot of time to help others.

slt

Postby slt » Mon May 23, 2011 3:56 am

0LNewbie wrote:What's the deal with the metro link agreement wash u has? How expensive is it, and can grad students use it?

Would that be a viable option for someone living in CWE, or should I just suck it up and buy a parking pass?

As someone mentioned above (and I mentioned in my long post above), the U-Pass is free as long as you fill out a simple online form each semester. It's available for all full-time students, including graduate students, as well as faculty.

Generally, the U-Pass is a viable option to get back and forth from the Danforth campus.

However, just as an observation, I did notice that currently-matricated and prospective WashU Law students are more reluctant to purchase yellow parking permits than are undergraduate students. I'm having trouble remembering any of my undergraduate friends who lived off campus and never bought a parking permit. Of course, having a parking permit is very convenient especially since there are two huge indoor parking complexes next to the school as well as a smaller outdoor lot. Rest assured, if you choose to live in any of the CWE spots that a lot of students live in, then you will be able to get to school everyday.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon May 23, 2011 2:28 pm

0LNewbie wrote:What's the deal with the metro link agreement wash u has? How expensive is it, and can grad students use it?

It's free. And this is exactly what I do. I actually bike to the CWE train stop in the morning (cutting out 10 minutes of walking time because I get up at the last possible minute). From my door to the classroom takes less than 20 minutes this way. 5 minute bike ride, 8 minute train ride, and another 4-5 minutes to get from the train into the school and up to your classroom.

It saves hundreds of dollars on parking passes and you get a little bit of exercise to start the day. And you're less likely to go home in between classes which means you're more likely to sit in the library and study. And you're saving the environment/protesting the price of gas, in case that gives you some sort of emotional gratification (which, for me, it does).

I highly recommend this.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon May 23, 2011 2:58 pm

Wow, had no idea it was free. Thanks, everyone! Sounds like option A right now.

deebs

Postby deebs » Tue May 24, 2011 11:24 pm

It's not what you do to your car to drive in the snow, it's how you change the way you drive/accelerate/turn/brake.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed May 25, 2011 6:21 pm

Anybody have insider tips on the SE forest park neighborhood? Avoid? Fine?

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:57 pm

That's where all the gay bars are.

From what I can tell rental options there are hit or miss. It wouldn't be my first choice but if you found a nice spot at a good price it might be worth it, kind of like Debaliviere.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”