WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MarkinKansasCity

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:28 am

Fiero85 wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
RareExports wrote:8 weeks ago...we took our LRM exam.

...Prince was still alive.
...Ted Cruz had just won the Wisconsin primary.
...The CDC had not yet confirmed that Zika causes birth defects.

Tentative title for Kloempken's forthcoming memoirs. I HAVE IT: The Mark Kloempken Story

:lol:

World's shortest books by TLS members suggestion, Kloempken edition:

Elaborate Descriptions of Lost Property: Why Detailed Communication in Emails Is So Important

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:38 pm

valen wrote:I don't believe they release all at once anymore. I know other sections who have their LRM grade, but there's still at least two sections who don't.

At least 3, we're waiting on Klovening (sp? don't care) as well.

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:58 pm

Still waiting on Levin to release CivPro grades...

tebowtime23

Postby tebowtime23 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:17 pm

ek5dn wrote:Still waiting on Levin to release CivPro grades...

at this point I think we can assume he is waiting until the last minute deadline

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Still waiting on LaPierre and LRM here too. Seriously no excuse for LRM. It shouldn't even be graded in the first place.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:33 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Still waiting on LaPierre and LRM here too. Seriously no excuse for LRM. It shouldn't even be graded in the first place.

I wonder if LaPierre will give out 2.5s again. He was one of the few 1L profs that actually failed people.

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:44 pm

I've had all of my grades for at least 3 weeks already, except for Corporations. Everyone took that exam 5 weeks ago. What the hell, Baker?

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:23 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:I've had all of my grades for at least 3 weeks already, except for Corporations. Everyone took that exam 5 weeks ago. What the hell, Baker?

He carefully weighed the incentives of grading them early (none) and the consequences of being late (also none) against the benefits of enjoyment of doing whatever he wanted (moderate to high) and correctly came to the conclusion that he didn't give a fuck.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:48 pm

What does it mean if a firm does not allow multiple interviews for EIW? It seems to mean that you are only allowed to interview with them, but that seems unrealistically restrictive.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:50 pm

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:51 pm

sublime wrote:
RareExports wrote:What does it mean if a firm does not allow multiple interviews for EIW? It seems to mean that you are only allowed to interview with them, but that seems unrealistically restrictive.

Can't interview with multiple offices of the same firm.

That makes much more sense. Thanks!

markham1321

Postby markham1321 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:56 pm

Anyone know how long it takes to find out if you CALI'd?

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:01 pm

markham1321 wrote:Anyone know how long it takes to find out if you CALI'd?

I had one that turned around quickly and one that took quite some time. You can always email the registrar to see if they've been sent out or not.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:20 pm

For firms that list a 3.3 requirement or preference, I assume that's their T14 requirement/preference. Anyone know how this typically translates to WUSTL? Has anyone had success outside of x percentile?

Edit: For OCI and walkaround purposes

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:51 pm

RareExports wrote:For firms that list a 3.3 requirement or preference, I assume that's their T14 requirement/preference. Anyone know how this typically translates to WUSTL? Has anyone had success outside of x percentile?

Just apply and see what happens. Don't preclude yourself from anything you're even remotely qualified for and interested in. Rejections will take care of themselves.

Tailor your applications to the employer as much as possible, but don't forget that volume matters. Spam it up.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:28 pm

RareExports wrote:For firms that list a 3.3 requirement or preference, I assume that's their T14 requirement/preference. Anyone know how this typically translates to WUSTL? Has anyone had success outside of x percentile?

If you're going to (or want to go to) any program, there's no reason not to apply to every firm. There isn't a meaningful restriction on how many bids you can submit, and those kind of limits are really more there to inform people at lottery schools (where you can get interviews even if you're well below the GPA cutoff).

Side note though: be careful about what you say about office preference. Don't take what offices the firm says they're hiring for at face value. If it's a Phoenix based firm, and they say they're hiring for Denver, but there's like 4 attorneys in Denver, don't say you're interested in Denver. If you're trying to get a job at a St. Louis-based firm, probably don't apply to or express interest in their other offices. This goes for practice areas too. If the firm only does employment law, you love employment law. If they primarily do transactional law, that's what you like to do. This can be tricky because firms make their websites look like they do everything but if you look at the attorney head count on NALP it can be informative.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:57 pm

Thanks everyone for the insights!

When have journal decisions come out in the past? I've heard mixed information about whether to expect them before bidding closes (June 26).

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:12 pm

Fiero85 wrote:

Just apply and see what happens. Don't preclude yourself from anything you're even remotely qualified for and interested in. Rejections will take care of themselves.

Tailor your applications to the employer as much as possible, but don't forget that volume matters. Spam it up.

This.

I got screeners and callbacks with firms that I was definitely below their GPA "requirement"

futago

Postby futago » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Cellar-door wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:I've had all of my grades for at least 3 weeks already, except for Corporations. Everyone took that exam 5 weeks ago. What the hell, Baker?

He carefully weighed the incentives of grading them early (none) and the consequences of being late (also none) against the benefits of enjoyment of doing whatever he wanted (moderate to high) and correctly came to the conclusion that he didn't give a fuck.

LOL!

houritsu

Postby houritsu » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:15 am

Last edited by houritsu on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:48 am

When you have all your substantive grades and LP grade, but no LRM grade, somebody needs to be hanged. Can I just start applying for shit please. This class shouldn't have even been graded in the first place.

tebowtime23

Postby tebowtime23 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:55 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:When you have all your substantive grades and LP grade, but no LRM grade, somebody needs to be hanged. Can I just start applying for shit please. This class shouldn't have even been graded in the first place.

At least you're only waiting on one grade. I'm still waiting on 2 (including LRM). Total BS. Will hurt transfer apps to any schools with rolling admissions...

valen

Postby valen » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:50 am

Klovning is up

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:50 pm

Did Levin's go up yet? AFAIK he's the only one outstanding for 1Ls.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”