WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Fri May 27, 2016 7:28 pm

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:53 pm

sublime wrote:I enjoyed commercial a ton and love keating. But the daily assignments and class were not chill. So much material.

And I had growe too. He's the best.

Well there's your problem, sublime. I don't think I did a single one of those daily assignments. First time I looked at any of those questions was while reviewing for finals. I will admit that it was a lot of material, though

Dads707

Postby Dads707 » Sat May 28, 2016 7:19 am

chingwoo wrote:
Ok I'm off my phone now.

First of all: Best execution for this would be to do non-legal your first summer that tangentially touches a legal role.

For example, legal consulting, corporate development, MM I-banking, Big 4 TAS services. You can then interview with firms and say you did the experience to get a look at the business side of things. However, landing one of those gigs is quite difficult from Olin, and a summer in operations at say like Emerson will screw with your legal recruiting.

Second of all: Wash U is a horrible school to try and do this from. OLIN is a relatively small MBA program (like under 400 FT MBA's) so not alot of firms come on campus for MBA's. None of MBB does OCR and the only I-bank is Lazard middle market. Hence, if you do come to WUSTL, you are fighting an uphill battle as an MBA much less as a law student.

You would do much better at like UCLA or Texas (assuming thats around where your stats will end up placing) than at WUSTL. Even Emory might be better. However, Ibanking/Consulting really should be looked at as an option for someone who has biglaw as an option, not as an option for someone who doesn't.

Thanks for the insight. Good to know someone other than me can see the vision, albeit with some deserved skepticism.

1L summer is the timeframe I was thinking for the move.

I have not put much thought into focus areas. I'm much more interested in Management Consulting than I-Banking; I was fishing for more ideas with that example, so thanks for the focus areas. I know all 4 of the TAS firms are represented in StL, but I don't know much on their office sizes, focus areas and haven't seen anywhere where they offer SAs. With that considered, moving for my 1L SA isn't that big of a deal.

I have to research legal consulting and corporate development more; I can't speak to those as well. Any ideas on where to start that research are welcome.

I haven't reached out to the folks at Olin's CSO yet, but I have started looking into some of their groups within the school.

I'm a super-splitter (170/2.66). 90% at WUSTL; WL everywhere else. Withdrawn everywhere besides WM, Emory and Duke. I appreciate the considerations on the school size, etc., but unless I get a miracle offer, it's my best option, both financially as well as with job prospects.

konar

Postby konar » Tue May 31, 2016 12:07 am

Keating lets you effectively not do the assignments for over half the class days between allowed absences and simply giving him a note that says you didn't do the assignment. It can most definitely be chill.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue May 31, 2016 8:38 am

Dads707 wrote:
chingwoo wrote:
Ok I'm off my phone now.

First of all: Best execution for this would be to do non-legal your first summer that tangentially touches a legal role.

For example, legal consulting, corporate development, MM I-banking, Big 4 TAS services. You can then interview with firms and say you did the experience to get a look at the business side of things. However, landing one of those gigs is quite difficult from Olin, and a summer in operations at say like Emerson will screw with your legal recruiting.

Second of all: Wash U is a horrible school to try and do this from. OLIN is a relatively small MBA program (like under 400 FT MBA's) so not alot of firms come on campus for MBA's. None of MBB does OCR and the only I-bank is Lazard middle market. Hence, if you do come to WUSTL, you are fighting an uphill battle as an MBA much less as a law student.

You would do much better at like UCLA or Texas (assuming thats around where your stats will end up placing) than at WUSTL. Even Emory might be better. However, Ibanking/Consulting really should be looked at as an option for someone who has biglaw as an option, not as an option for someone who doesn't.

Thanks for the insight. Good to know someone other than me can see the vision, albeit with some deserved skepticism.

I have not put much thought into focus areas. I'm much more interested in Management Consulting than I-Banking; I was fishing for more ideas with that example, so thanks for the focus areas. I know all 4 of the TAS firms are represented in StL, but I don't know much on their office sizes, focus areas and haven't seen anywhere where they offer SAs. With that considered, moving for my 1L SA isn't that big of a deal.

I have to research legal consulting and corporate development more; I can't speak to those as well. Any ideas on where to start that research are welcome.

I haven't reached out to the folks at Olin's CSO yet, but I have started looking into some of their groups within the school.

I'm a super-splitter (170/2.66). 90% at WUSTL; WL everywhere else. Withdrawn everywhere besides WM, Emory and Duke. I appreciate the considerations on the school size, etc., but unless I get a miracle offer, it's my best option, both financially as well as with job prospects.

Non biglaw firms do not offer SAs or any guarantees of post graduation jobs. Nothing stopping you from interning at one of these companies, but you'll have to hustle and compete with all the MBA grads/finance majors or whatever else is qualified for those jobs during 3L.

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Tue May 31, 2016 3:41 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Dads707 wrote:
chingwoo wrote:
Ok I'm off my phone now.

Non biglaw firms do not offer SAs or any guarantees of post graduation jobs. Nothing stopping you from interning at one of these companies, but you'll have to hustle and compete with all the MBA grads/finance majors or whatever else is qualified for those jobs during 3L.

Actually multiple banks and mc firms do offer these programs specifically to law students. Just not through wash u Oci. If you have the right profile they will interview you.

Sachem

Postby Sachem » Tue May 31, 2016 4:55 pm

Drobak is up.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue May 31, 2016 5:28 pm

Was really hoping Kim would pop up today :(

acr

Postby acr » Tue May 31, 2016 5:33 pm

Joscellin wrote:Was really hoping Kim would pop up today :(

There's really no excuse for her not to be up by now. She had a 5,000 word limit and has had over a month to grade the exams now. Even D Law, who didn't have a word limit and taught a supersection, had his up within two weeks or so. Those who had LP/LRM with Lewis/Kloempken don't even have their grades back yet, which I think is outrageous. I'm hoping for something by the end of the week, but not holding my breath

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue May 31, 2016 5:35 pm

acr wrote:

There's really no excuse for her not to be up by now. She had a 5,000 word limit and has had over a month to grade the exams now. Even D Law, who didn't have a word limit and taught a supersection, had his up within two weeks or so. Those who had LP/LRM with Lewis/Kloempken don't even have their grades back yet, which I think is outrageous. I'm hoping for something by the end of the week, but not holding my breath

A couple LP profs have gotten grades back, but I don't think LRM has gone out to anyone.

To be fair, Kim's was a supersection as well, but yeah, I'd have hoped they'd be done. Maybe she's just really meticulous about it, wouldn't surprise me.

acr

Postby acr » Tue May 31, 2016 5:39 pm

Joscellin wrote:
acr wrote:

A couple LP profs have gotten grades back, but I don't think LRM has gone out to anyone.

To be fair, Kim's was a supersection as well, but yeah, I'd have hoped they'd be done. Maybe she's just really meticulous about it, wouldn't surprise me.

I hope thoroughness is the reason. If that's truly the reason then it's worth the wait I guess.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue May 31, 2016 5:56 pm

acr wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
acr wrote:

I hope thoroughness is the reason. If that's truly the reason then it's worth the wait I guess.

She strikes me as a thorough grader. Here's hoping.

acr

Postby acr » Tue May 31, 2016 6:04 pm

Joscellin wrote:
acr wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
acr wrote:

I have more confidence in her than Konig, who has no clue what he's doing

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue May 31, 2016 6:10 pm

Joscellin wrote:
acr wrote:
Joscellin wrote:
acr wrote:

She's one of my favorite professors at wustl, and also strikes me as a thorough grader. I really doubt she's slacking off.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue May 31, 2016 6:13 pm

She's one of my favorite professors at wustl, and also strikes me as a thorough grader. I really doubt she's slacking off.

I've heard some folks call her the best teacher (if not professor) at Wash U, and from my experience at least, that seems true.
Last edited by Joscellin on Tue May 31, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:44 pm

Last edited by robert88 on Tue May 31, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:48 pm

We got all our grades back...

Joscellin wrote:
acr wrote:

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Tue May 31, 2016 7:23 pm

The lack of LRM grades really is ridiculous. This Friday will be 8 weeks since the exam, and it was 1 hour and largely multiple choice/true-false/fill in the blank.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:53 pm

They should all get posted this week. Also check your blackboard. They may get posted there earlier than your final grade.
RareExports wrote:The lack of LRM grades really is ridiculous. This Friday will be 8 weeks since the exam, and it was 1 hour and largely multiple choice/true-false/fill in the blank.

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Tue May 31, 2016 8:32 pm

I got my Property grade a few weeks ago. Still waiting on Con Law, Civ Pro, LRM, and LP. Hopefully sometime in June.

tebowtime23

Postby tebowtime23 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:58 pm

TetrisBlock wrote:I got my Property grade a few weeks ago. Still waiting on Con Law, Civ Pro, LRM, and LP. Hopefully sometime in June.

Still waiting on Civ Pro and LRM. I find it equal parts hilarious and infuriating that a one hour, largely multiple choice/True-False Exam can take five times as long to grade as a Torts exam. Especially considering our Torts professor had over 100 more students..

acr

Postby acr » Tue May 31, 2016 10:36 pm

tebowtime23 wrote:
TetrisBlock wrote:I got my Property grade a few weeks ago. Still waiting on Con Law, Civ Pro, LRM, and LP. Hopefully sometime in June.

Still waiting on Civ Pro and LRM. I find it equal parts hilarious and infuriating that a one hour, largely multiple choice/True-False Exam can take five times as long to grade as a Torts exam. Especially considering our Torts professor had over 100 more students..

it's probably some administrative BS to be honest. I'm racking my brain and can't think of how it could possibly be anything else.

tebowtime23

Postby tebowtime23 » Tue May 31, 2016 11:02 pm

acr wrote:
tebowtime23 wrote:

it's probably some administrative BS to be honest. I'm racking my brain and can't think of how it could possibly be anything else.

I emailed my LRM professor asking when grades would be posted. Tried to explain, in a nice way, that I was applying to transfer and so it actually matters when I receive my grades. She informed me that she had until June 6th, and was planning on sending them sometime late this week. So at least one professor just hasn't felt like submitting the grade yet

acr

Postby acr » Tue May 31, 2016 11:08 pm

tebowtime23 wrote:
acr wrote:
tebowtime23 wrote:

I emailed my LRM professor asking when grades would be posted. Tried to explain, in a nice way, that I was applying to transfer and so it actually matters when I receive my grades. She informed me that she had until June 6th, and was planning on sending them sometime late this week. So at least one professor just hasn't felt like submitting the grade yet

wtf

That's third tier shit

especially since it actually, you know, like impacts your future

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:35 am

tebowtime23 wrote:
acr wrote:
tebowtime23 wrote:

Shitty, but I'll take the end of this week. Better than the end of next week (especially for anyone planning to transfer, heh).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”