WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
robert88

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby robert88 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:26 pm

You see, that's precisely the problem. Grades only matter when you are in the top third. The difference between 3.1 and 3.3 is negligible, and the difference between 3.8 and 3.6 could be big law and unemployment.

PeanutsNJam wrote:People who should've gotten more than a 3.76 suffered. But people who should've gotten a grade lower than 3.48 or whatever benefitted because DBT didn't give super low grades. I think others are saying as a whole, A and B didn't suffer, but if you discount people who are below median, and only consider the top 1/3 of each section, then yeah A and B got hardcore shafted.

splitterfromhell

Postby splitterfromhell » Tue May 24, 2016 11:28 pm

robert88 wrote:You see, that's precisely the problem. Grades only matter when you are in the top third. The difference between 3.1 and 3.3 is negligible, and the difference between 3.8 and 3.6 could be big law and unemployment.

Wait, what? Students above median at WUSTL go unemployed?

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:29 pm

Yes, you would not know who got screwed. However, if you are in his crim class this year, and got a 4.0, try reduce that to 3.76 or lower (which would be the most you could have got last semester), and ask yourself, is that fair?

RareExports wrote:It's also just impossible to tell who got "screwed" and who didn't. The grades just converged on one point. So I don't think anyone can claim that the grading was unfair to them, it was just atypical.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue May 24, 2016 11:40 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:
robert88 wrote:You see, that's precisely the problem. Grades only matter when you are in the top third. The difference between 3.1 and 3.3 is negligible, and the difference between 3.8 and 3.6 could be big law and unemployment.

Some may. But to the extent you get employed below top third, your grades probably didn't really help.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue May 24, 2016 11:58 pm

tebowtime23

Postby tebowtime23 » Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:People who should've gotten more than a 3.76 suffered. But people who should've gotten a grade lower than 3.48 or whatever benefitted because DBT didn't give super low grades. I think others are saying as a whole, A and B didn't suffer, but if you discount people who are below median, and only consider the top 1/3 of each section, then yeah A and B got hardcore shafted.

This. Exactly this. Virtually everybody in the top third of A and B got short end of stick.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Wed May 25, 2016 8:40 am

sublime wrote:Also giving out like 8 Cali's for a class is fucking dumb.

I thought the whole point of a CALI was that there was only one per class, but apparently I was misinformed.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:12 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
sublime wrote:Also giving out like 8 Cali's for a class is fucking dumb.

I thought the whole point of a CALI was that there was only one per class, but apparently I was misinformed.

The fact that this thread has become a soap box for top third privilege is so TLS. Love it. Mark: dig the H.L. Mencken avatar.
Last edited by Jmart082 on Wed May 25, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Wed May 25, 2016 12:14 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:

CSO advisors tell me stories about people in the upper-echelons of the class who can't even make eye contact, so I guess it all depends.

splitterfromhell

Postby splitterfromhell » Wed May 25, 2016 3:10 pm

How likely is it that I will have Friday class as a 1L?

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Wed May 25, 2016 3:22 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:How likely is it that I will have Friday class as a 1L?

It's almost a forgone conclusion.

acr

Postby acr » Wed May 25, 2016 3:22 pm

This year, my section had Friday class one semester and no Friday class the next semester. That seemed to be the norm for most people. So I would say that it is very likely that you will have Friday class for at least one semester of 1L.

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Wed May 25, 2016 5:15 pm

As far as your schedule goes, you didn't ask but you could also have classes running to 6PM. I'd check online (try searching washu law fall 2015 1L schedule or something).

Edit: I mean this to give you an idea of what the schedule might look like.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed May 25, 2016 5:49 pm

I had no Friday classes this spring (1L), but had classes running 8:30-5:00 Tues-Thurs with around 3-4 hours in between.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:38 pm

Does anyone know if we will have two rankings before and after the transfers are out?

konar

Postby konar » Wed May 25, 2016 6:39 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:

CSO advisors tell me stories about people in the upper-echelons of the class who can't even make eye contact, so I guess it all depends.

I think WUSTL employment numbers are perhaps a bit skewed by having so many extreme splitters(very high LSAT and very low GPA). You end up with many very smart but perhaps less driven individuals. This type of person can easily ace a lawschool exam(law school is not actually difficult at all), end up high in the class, yet still not have some of the skills and drive that are required to land a great job.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Wed May 25, 2016 7:09 pm

robert88 wrote:Does anyone know if we will have two rankings before and after the transfers are out?

My understanding is that they did this last year, but that it wasn't done in time for OCI

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed May 25, 2016 7:53 pm

konar wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:

I think WUSTL employment numbers are perhaps a bit skewed by having so many extreme splitters(very high LSAT and very low GPA). You end up with many very smart but perhaps less driven individuals. This type of person can easily ace a lawschool exam(law school is not actually difficult at all), end up high in the class, yet still not have some of the skills and drive that are required to land a great job.

LSAT/gpa has no significant correlation with intellect or drive or social skills, and you certainly can't generalize splitters so. There are awkward people everywhere, with a higher concentration in law school in general.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Thu May 26, 2016 1:12 am

Joscellin wrote:
robert88 wrote:Does anyone know if we will have two rankings before and after the transfers are out?

My understanding is that they did this last year, but that it wasn't done in time for OCI

Yep. They adjusted the cutoffs but I think it was in like mid September so it was pretty useless. The year before they didn't readjust at all if memory serves.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu May 26, 2016 1:23 am

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Thu May 26, 2016 7:51 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
konar wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:

LSAT/gpa has no significant correlation with intellect or drive or social skills, and you certainly can't generalize splitters so. There are awkward people everywhere, with a higher concentration in law school in general.

I'm not so sure you can fairly say there is *no* significant correlation, the point is well taken that there is certainly not enough of one such that one can generalize so broadly within a small sample.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Thu May 26, 2016 9:38 am

EIW firm list is up on Symplicity. Does not look good.

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Thu May 26, 2016 10:21 am

RareExports wrote:EIW firm list is up on Symplicity. Does not look good.

Firms should get added to it through the next few weeks.

Dads707

Postby Dads707 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:52 am

Do you see many folks from WUSTL taking non-legal professional positions upon graduation or during summers?

For example, Management Consulting, Investment Banking, etc. A lot of MBA SA announcements state that they will take JD students as well.

I know the first piece of advice everyone gives is to do legal positions in the summers and not to go to law school if you're looking at other fields; however, these are great plans in the event that unemployment is the alternative.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu May 26, 2016 11:01 am

RareExports wrote:EIW firm list is up on Symplicity. Does not look good.

It never really does (although it's early and firms will probably be added over the next month).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”