WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
legit

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby legit » Tue May 17, 2016 11:15 am

Also wanted to add The Mud House, which is pretty hipster.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue May 17, 2016 4:13 pm

David Law is up.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue May 17, 2016 4:26 pm

robert88 wrote:David Law is up.

Thanks for the heads up

snow24

Postby snow24 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:19 pm

What alums here wanna chime in on what they did during 3L? No journal or anything, just some BS classes w/ weekend courses. Still looking for classes that don't require attendance for a two week vacay.

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Sun May 22, 2016 6:50 pm

Grading write-on submissions is almost as excruciating as actually doing write-on

Sachem

Postby Sachem » Tue May 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Tamanaha is up.

mch08

Postby mch08 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:05 pm

Future 1L here, can anyone speak to Central West End Apartments on Union Blvd? Is it a decent location/how far is it from the places law students go when they go out? Also, it seems like a pretty good deal price wise but it's hard to tell how nice the units are from just the online pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:36 pm

mch08 wrote:Future 1L here, can anyone speak to Central West End Apartments on Union Blvd? Is it a decent location/how far is it from the places law students go when they go out? Also, it seems like a pretty good deal price wise but it's hard to tell how nice the units are from just the online pictures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They're on the pricier end of the spectrum, and there are cheaper units available closer to campus (The Quadrangle Housing units off Waterman immediately come to mind). But if you like the CWE area, you could do worse.

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Tue May 24, 2016 2:12 pm

DBT is up.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:25 pm

Is it consistent with his Property grading last semester (I hope)? :shock:

KunAgnis wrote:DBT is up.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue May 24, 2016 2:47 pm

robert88 wrote:Is it consistent with his Property grading last semester (I hope)? :shock:

Early signs point to not really, no.

Disclaimer: I didn't have him

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:53 pm

That is very disappointing, lol. Anyway, congrats to the early signs.

Joscellin wrote:
robert88 wrote:Is it consistent with his Property grading last semester (I hope)? :shock:

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Tue May 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Joscellin wrote:

So your friends got really high grades?

Edit: congrats to your sources then. Also, I'm quite upset. A lot of us in A and B were hoping for DBT to do his thing again this semester at least for some semblance of equality.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Tue May 24, 2016 4:31 pm

KunAgnis wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

Edit: congrats to your sources then. Also, I'm quite upset. A lot of us in A and B were hoping for DBT to do his thing again this semester at least for some semblance of equality.

The word is that people complained to him, and he made the decision to give out A+'s this semester. Don't quote me on that, though.

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Tue May 24, 2016 4:43 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

The word is that people complained to him, and he made the decision to give out A+'s this semester. Don't quote me on that, though.

This was why I was telling my peers to not complain to him last semester

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Tue May 24, 2016 5:04 pm

KunAgnis wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

Well, if anything, you guys are getting a little bit of a teaching moment here. Don't complain when it can screw people over, lol

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue May 24, 2016 6:26 pm

I doubt that is gonna be very helpful since E and F are definitely motivated to complain to him this semester.

KunAgnis wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:
KunAgnis wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Tue May 24, 2016 7:05 pm

Idk, I've spoken to DBT about this and his take is that there just wasn't any reason to differentiate grading, because the exams themselves were not very different. I don't think this semester vs. last was different because of grading styles, I think it's just that there was greater differentiation this semester. Some of that may be due to the nature of criminal law vs. property law exams.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:15 pm

I doubt that is the reason, otherwise how could Mandy reasonably differentiate people based on a 1500 word property exam? Congrats on E and F anyways. A and B be *ed!

RareExports wrote:Idk, I've spoken to DBT about this and his take is that there just wasn't any reason to differentiate grading, because the exams themselves were not very different. I don't think this semester vs. last was different because of grading styles, I think it's just that there was greater differentiation this semester. Some of that may be due to the nature of criminal law vs. property law exams.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue May 24, 2016 7:30 pm

robert88 wrote:I doubt that is the reason, otherwise how could Mandy reasonably differentiate people based on a 1500 word property exam? Congrats on E and F anyways. A and B be *ed!

RareExports wrote:Idk, I've spoken to DBT about this and his take is that there just wasn't any reason to differentiate grading, because the exams themselves were not very different. I don't think this semester vs. last was different because of grading styles, I think it's just that there was greater differentiation this semester. Some of that may be due to the nature of criminal law vs. property law exams.

Not for nothing, it's possible a couple people got screwed out of an A+, but (1) it's impossible to know that's true, it could be no one's test was "good enough" (some prefs are dicks like this), (2) it likely would have only been a couple people at most, and (3) it's impossible to know if you were one of those people.

Something like 15 people got that 3.76 right? Sure, a few of those maybe would have gotten an A+, but if they had done so, other people's grades would have to be lower, likely including some of the ones that got that grade in the first place.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Tue May 24, 2016 7:33 pm

robert88 wrote:I doubt that is the reason, otherwise how could Mandy reasonably differentiate people based on a 1500 word property exam? Congrats on E and F anyways. A and B be *ed!

No section got screwed. The mean scores were probably the same, and if DBT had differentiated grading last semester, fewer people would have CALI'd and many of them would have received a lower grade. Like if the best grade is a 3.76 or whatever, and 8 people get it, and all of the sudden you switch to a more-differentiated grading style, it's not like all 8 people get bumped to a 4.24. One or two might, but for the mean to stay the same, most of the 8 are going to have their grades drop, and there's no way of knowing which person you were.

Edit: What Joscellin said

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue May 24, 2016 8:28 pm

Some people at the top of A and B got screwed (assuming their property grade should've been higher)

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Tue May 24, 2016 8:41 pm

I think you guys may be ignoring the fact that when you create a ceiling of 3.76, it reduced the percentage of A's that would go around ( and by A i mean 3.76 to 3.94). In Fall 2014, Osgood gave out an A to 27% of his class; Baker to 27%; Greenfield to 29%. DBT in property (if we assume the 15 is true) gave out a mere 20%. That is a significant deviation.

Also, how would you explain two students' grades that deviated when they both studied together and wrote out the exact same pre-written answers to copy paste on the exam? One got a CALI, the other not. Furthermore, a student didn't finish a half of question 1 (a hypo question which ran over 2 pages in length when the entire exam was 7 pages long); yet, that student also got a CALI. DBT's grading methodology is questionable at best, and some students lost an A that they could have received.

Sure, many more people got CALIs than they should have. But what you fail to see is that the GPA margin that would have given some students their A's was given to students who would have had a much lower grade of C or B- to boost them up to a B+. A and B definitely suffered non-negligible harm. Also, RareExports, I'd love to see DBT explain just how he graded such that 15 students were equally good or "terrible" and a student who didn't even finish the exam got the highest grade. To suggest that the 15 were equally bad simply implies that A and B collectively performed poorly, which is a difficult conclusion for you to support.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue May 24, 2016 9:14 pm

People who should've gotten more than a 3.76 suffered. But people who should've gotten a grade lower than 3.48 or whatever benefitted because DBT didn't give super low grades. I think others are saying as a whole, A and B didn't suffer, but if you discount people who are below median, and only consider the top 1/3 of each section, then yeah A and B got hardcore shafted.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Tue May 24, 2016 10:16 pm

It's also just impossible to tell who got "screwed" and who didn't. The grades just converged on one point. So I don't think anyone can claim that the grading was unfair to them, it was just atypical.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”