WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Banshee

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Banshee » Tue May 10, 2016 10:31 am

LOL this entire conversation is ridiculous. First, it's highly unlikely the LP profs are done grading your briefs. They weren't due that long ago and the LP profs usually take awhile and leave a lot of feedback for writing samples. Second, LRM was one of the last grades my section got last year, but other sections got their grades before us. It just depends on how quickly the prof grades the exam and then they have to turn it in. If your prof took awhile getting you back your midterm score or your assignments, then your final grade will probably be awhile too. As for your doctrinal classes, some profs just grade faster than others, but everyone grades the work, regardless of how many students they had. Osgood is usually really quick (but I don't think he taught 1Ls this semester) and I recall getting Magarian's Con Law pretty quick last year. Grades will be up when they are up and I do remember thinking that Spring took longer than Fall. But for anyone hoping to transfer, you will have them in time.

catlady02

Postby catlady02 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:33 pm

A bit off topic but I want to participate in the NYC interview program this summer, but my internship (not in NYC) doesn't end till after the program date. Any advice/what have people done in the past? I'm guessing it would be weird to ask for a day off for recruiting, so are my options limited to just mass mailing?

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Tue May 10, 2016 2:07 pm

catlady02 wrote:A bit off topic but I want to participate in the NYC interview program this summer, but my internship (not in NYC) doesn't end till after the program date. Any advice/what have people done in the past? I'm guessing it would be weird to ask for a day off for recruiting, so are my options limited to just mass mailing?

It's actually perfectly acceptable to ask for a day or two off for interviewing (just tell them its an off-campus interview program through the school, then they know you don't have a choice as to the dates). Most places you summer in your first year don't extend offers anyway, so they know people have to interview. If you are at a firm that might extend an offer to return then you'll have to decide if you want to interview other places. If you are doing public interest you just have to work a certain number of hours and they are usually flexible so it may not even matter if you take some time off (for example, last year I was supposed to end on the Friday of NYC interviews, so I just worked extra hours and met my requirement earlier in the week, so I wasn't really taking time off I was just done early).

If the NYC program is like last year, then one of the programs will have interviews on Friday and the other program will have interviews on the following Monday and Tuesday. You won't know if you get interviews until a few weeks before, but you may not even apply to one of the programs. Some of the employers will be the same and some will be different (if an employer is interviewing with both programs submit for an interview through both programs).

Also NYC moves incredibly fast, you'll probably hear day of your screener or the next day if you get a callback. If you are still in town, you should schedule your cb while you are still there if you can.

acr

Postby acr » Tue May 10, 2016 3:56 pm

fuck the write on competition

this is god awful

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue May 10, 2016 4:04 pm

acr wrote:fuck the write on competition

this is god awful

Yes. Yes it is.

acr

Postby acr » Tue May 10, 2016 4:07 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
acr wrote:fuck the write on competition

this is god awful

Yes. Yes it is.

It's not even because "finals were last week," which is seemingly the reason everyone gives for why it sucks. It's the write on itself. Absolutely miserable. Do law schools enjoy inflicting torture on their students?

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue May 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Tue May 10, 2016 4:53 pm

The worst part is you go through write-on, which sucks, just so you can be on journal....which also sucks. Get excited.

robert88

Postby robert88 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:40 pm

Anyone has experience with the LA walk around? Also, do people mass mail the employers other than signing up for the off campus interview programs?

acr

Postby acr » Tue May 10, 2016 9:35 pm

Is this really worth it? What are the odds of making law review by trying? I've been sitting at my desk all day trying and feel like whatever I produce will be shit anyway, so seriously thinking of just quitting.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue May 10, 2016 9:37 pm

acr

Postby acr » Tue May 10, 2016 9:39 pm

sublime wrote:
acr wrote:Is this really worth it? What are the odds of making law review by trying? I've been sitting at my desk all day trying and feel like whatever I produce will be shit anyway, so seriously thinking of just quitting.

Based on my own experiences, and having graded a bunch of them, if you pick the right issue and actualy put effort into it, I feel like you should be in a good position for LR, especially with them cutting the number of people that grade on in half.

Thanks for the info. I guess i'll give it a last-ditch effort. I just feel like i have no clue what i'm doing

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue May 10, 2016 9:40 pm

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue May 10, 2016 10:05 pm

sublime wrote:
acr wrote:Is this really worth it? What are the odds of making law review by trying? I've been sitting at my desk all day trying and feel like whatever I produce will be shit anyway, so seriously thinking of just quitting.

Based on my own experiences, and having graded a bunch of them, if you pick the right issue and actualy put effort into it, I feel like you should be in a good position for LR, especially with them cutting the number of people that grade on in half.

Top 5%? When did that happen, who was behind it, and what was the explanation?

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Tue May 10, 2016 10:09 pm

Yeah I'm considering quitting too. I'll see how much I write tomorrow.

TatteredDignity wrote:
sublime wrote:

It could be to improve employment since top 10% will already get a lot of screeners.

acr

Postby acr » Tue May 10, 2016 10:14 pm

TetrisBlock wrote:

Yeah I'm considering quitting too. I'll see how much I write tomorrow.

TatteredDignity wrote:
sublime wrote:

It could be to improve employment since top 10% will already get a lot of screeners.

dude i can't even get through the fucking bluebook thing

I can't stare at it for five minutes without wanting to fall asleep

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Tue May 10, 2016 11:31 pm

If you want Biglaw/Firm, don't give up!! You need journal. Most firms either prefer or require journal just to get a screener. The Bluebook exercise is the worst, but you just gotta get through it. The Case Comment shouldn't be too awful, just pick the right issue like everyone said and use the sample as a guide to streamline your writing so you don't get writer's block/off track.

acr

Postby acr » Tue May 10, 2016 11:35 pm

Banshee wrote:If you want Biglaw/Firm, don't give up!! You need journal. Most firms either prefer or require journal just to get a screener. The Bluebook exercise is the worst, but you just gotta get through it. The Case Comment shouldn't be too awful, just pick the right issue like everyone said and use the sample as a guide to streamline your writing so you don't get writer's block/off track.

i literally don't have the time or the stamina for the Bluebook exercise

it took me 2 hours to go through one page

there are 23 pages

Maybe a sign that this profession isn't for me tbh

but thanks for the encouragement

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Tue May 10, 2016 11:42 pm

acr wrote:
Banshee wrote:If you want Biglaw/Firm, don't give up!! You need journal. Most firms either prefer or require journal just to get a screener. The Bluebook exercise is the worst, but you just gotta get through it. The Case Comment shouldn't be too awful, just pick the right issue like everyone said and use the sample as a guide to streamline your writing so you don't get writer's block/off track.

there are 23 pages

Banshee -- you're just actually plain wrong. You do not need a journal for biglaw. It doesn't hurt, and def helps in a lot of contexts, but it is by no means a prereq.....

acr --
Don't be discouraged, do what you can. also, fuck the bb excercise. do your best. if you write a decent case comment, you can possibly get on a journal. don't drive yourself crazy though with the all or nothing thinking.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue May 10, 2016 11:52 pm

acr wrote:

there are 23 pages

That's normal. I spent like 2 hours on page 1, mostly reading the Bluebook and re-learning old rules/learning new ones. Most of the errors repeat, so it gets much quicker. By page 15 it was <30 mins/page, and 18+ was like 15 mins per page.

It gets much easier and faster. Go over the whole thing once or twice when you're done since you'll have missed some stuff, taking an hour to do so, and that should be enough.

Just be sure to read the bluebook carefully.

If you're not trying for law review definitely spend less time on BB. Like stop now and go 100% case comment and you'll be fine. I heard one of the journals doesn't care about the BB exercise at all.

acr

Postby acr » Tue May 10, 2016 11:57 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
acr wrote:

there are 23 pages

That's normal. I spent like 2 hours on page 1, mostly reading the Bluebook and re-learning old rules/learning new ones. Most of the errors repeat, so it gets much quicker. By page 15 it was <30 mins/page, and 18+ was like 15 mins per page.

It gets much easier and faster. Go over the whole thing once or twice when you're done since you'll have missed some stuff, taking an hour to do so, and that should be enough.

Just be sure to read the bluebook carefully.

If you're not trying for law review definitely spend less time on BB. Like stop now and go 100% case comment and you'll be fine. I heard one of the journals doesn't care about the BB exercise at all.

no desire to do a journal if it's not LR

barely any desire to do LR other than job prospects

fuck it, i'm out. can't look at it for one more minute

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Wed May 11, 2016 10:13 am

Sprout wrote:
acr wrote:

there are 23 pages

Banshee -- you're just actually plain wrong. You do not need a journal for biglaw. It doesn't hurt, and def helps in a lot of contexts, but it is by no means a prereq.....

acr --
Don't be discouraged, do what you can. also, fuck the bb excercise. do your best. if you write a decent case comment, you can possibly get on a journal. don't drive yourself crazy though with the all or nothing thinking.

Actually, Sprout, I'm not. Being on a journal is incredibly important for people who want biglaw firm jobs. A vast majority of firms during OCI will list that they prefer students on a journal and some list that they require journal. Yes, some people get firm jobs without journal, usually it's students who do something else like trial team, or RA for a professor, or have some type of specialized experience, so yes, it is possible that people get firm jobs without journal, but don't pretend that it isn't important. The majority of people on journal wouldn't do journal if it wasn't important for getting a job.

Ref

Postby Ref » Wed May 11, 2016 2:08 pm

Conventional wisdom, to my knowledge, has been LR is a boost, but secondary journals offer little/no real benefit, and is more akin to moot court.

YMMV

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 11, 2016 2:29 pm

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 11, 2016 2:32 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”