WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Sprout

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Sprout » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:28 pm

acr

Postby acr » Mon May 02, 2016 5:54 pm

failed my con law exam today

what are my options from median after 1L?

drop out now? drop out after grades come back? drop out after OCI?

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon May 02, 2016 5:56 pm

acr

Postby acr » Mon May 02, 2016 5:58 pm

sublime wrote:You probably did fine. Try to relax.

i missed a huge issue on one of the questions worth 50% and already know it

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:21 pm

acr wrote:
sublime wrote:You probably did fine. Try to relax.

i missed a huge issue on one of the questions worth 50% and already know it

Yeah and that issue was probably worth 5% of 50% and half your classmates probably also missed it. And you probably got something half of them missed. I assure you missing one issue, no matter how major, is not enough to FAIL a class in law school. You pretty much have to turn in a blank exam or just spend 3 hours writing a novella. And an off-topic one at that because otherwise you might accidentally rack up enough points to pass.

acr

Postby acr » Mon May 02, 2016 6:40 pm

lol i love TLS. thanks for the reassurance

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Mon May 02, 2016 9:29 pm

acr wrote:lol i love TLS. thanks for the reassurance

Yeah you'll be fine, I missed the biggest issue possible aka the commerce clause on my conn law exam and was still right around median in a writing exam (magarian). And I basically failed lp.

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Tue May 03, 2016 12:22 pm

chingwoo wrote:
acr wrote:lol i love TLS. thanks for the reassurance

Yeah you'll be fine, I missed the biggest issue possible aka the commerce clause on my conn law exam and was still right around median in a writing exam (magarian). And I basically failed lp.

This is the most reassuring post I've read. Thank you for this. I missed a question on civ pro (there were like 12-15 questions) and have been worried about my grade being below median.

Con Law I don't think worrying is helpful for me regardless because I could get a 3.0 or a 4.0 and think the grade makes sense.

acr

Postby acr » Wed May 04, 2016 4:33 pm

any advice for Konig property exam?

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 04, 2016 4:53 pm

acr

Postby acr » Wed May 04, 2016 5:02 pm

sublime wrote:
acr wrote:any advice for Konig property exam?

Pray. Alternatively bring in Siegel's, in case he uses prewritten questions again.

He banned all commercial supplements this year lol

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed May 04, 2016 5:05 pm

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed May 04, 2016 9:27 pm

Idk what it is with WUSTL but it's like everybody is doomed to have terrible professors at least once in 1L. Some of us get DBT (visit prof whose highest grade was a 3.76 and also sucks at teaching), some get Konig, I heard there was another bad property professor this semester forget his name.

Then you have GOAT profs like Tamanaha, Greenfield, RHB, Drobak, and others I haven't taken. LaPierre is good too but idk if he's GOAT.

acr

Postby acr » Wed May 04, 2016 10:47 pm

Sorry to keep bombarding this thread with questions/anxieties, but does anyone here know anything about the 1L public interest stipend? I have heard through the grapevine that they give it to you as a lump-sum payment toward the end of your work (which would kind of suck considering I need to pay rent with it), others have told me that they give it to you at the beginning as a lump sum, and CDO didn't give me a direct answer.

w00kash

Postby w00kash » Wed May 04, 2016 11:01 pm

weird, at the informational session they said they pay it out biweekly depending on the hours you work per pay period. Sounded like they just pay you 10/hr with an upper limit of 3k for the summer and 800 per pay period. A lump sum up front would be pretty rad though.

acr

Postby acr » Wed May 04, 2016 11:04 pm

w00kash wrote:weird, at the informational session they said they pay it out biweekly depending on the hours you work per pay period. Sounded like they just pay you 10/hr with an upper limit of 3k for the summer and 800 per pay period. A lump sum up front would be pretty rad though.

thanks. this is exactly what i was looking to hear.

although up front would be baller

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Wed May 04, 2016 11:23 pm

w00kash wrote:they pay it out biweekly depending on the hours you work per pay period. Sounded like they just pay you 10/hr with an upper limit of 3k for the summer and 800 per pay period.

This is exactly what they do

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Thu May 05, 2016 12:31 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Idk what it is with WUSTL but it's like everybody is doomed to have terrible professors at least once in 1L. Some of us get DBT (visit prof whose highest grade was a 3.76 and also sucks at teaching), some get Konig, I heard there was another bad property professor this semester forget his name.

Then you have GOAT profs like Tamanaha, Greenfield, RHB, Drobak, and others I haven't taken. LaPierre is good too but idk if he's GOAT.

I didn't have him, but a lot of folks I talked to about DBT liked him and his teaching, just the exam problem.

Would mention that I have loved all of my profs this year (Osgood, Norwood, De Geest, Kim, Law) except Konig, who I like personally... but that class... yikes.

YOLOing the shit out of that exam tomorrow.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Thu May 05, 2016 1:50 pm

Joscellin wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Idk what it is with WUSTL but it's like everybody is doomed to have terrible professors at least once in 1L. Some of us get DBT (visit prof whose highest grade was a 3.76 and also sucks at teaching), some get Konig, I heard there was another bad property professor this semester forget his name.

I didn't have him, but a lot of folks I talked to about DBT liked him and his teaching, just the exam problem.

Would mention that I have loved all of my profs this year (Osgood, Norwood, De Geest, Kim, Law) except Konig, who I like personally... but that class... yikes.

Personal rank of 1L professors: Tamanaha, De Geest, DBT, Drobak, Magarian, RHB

Anyway, any upperclassmen have advice for write on?

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Fri May 06, 2016 10:21 am

badawi and inazu are both awesome

Dolphine

Postby Dolphine » Fri May 06, 2016 4:03 pm

acr wrote:any advice for Konig property exam?

wtf they let him teach that class again? That's ridiculous

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat May 07, 2016 6:19 pm

Okay write-on is 300 pages of cases does anybody read them all? Is that how you're supposed to do this?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat May 07, 2016 6:21 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Okay write-on is 300 pages of cases does anybody read them all? Is that how you're supposed to do this?

Used to be 500.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat May 07, 2016 7:47 pm

Well I'm not counting the 323 peg bluebook exercise. Rechecked it's 400-440 pages of cases with a few articles.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Sat May 07, 2016 8:57 pm

RareExports wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

Personal rank of 1L professors: Tamanaha, De Geest, DBT, Drobak, Magarian, RHB

Anyway, any upperclassmen have advice for write on?

Start as soon as humanly possible if you're not a virtuoso work under pressure sort of person.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”