WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TatteredDignity

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:13 pm

acr wrote:They put up the classes for next fall today.

Anybody taken Law and Econ with DeGeest?

I had DeGeest for Contracts and it was my best class and I liked his economic approach to the subject

Curious how his Law & Econ compares and wondering if it's not totally useless

I took both classes with DG. Law and Econ is basically an extension of his contracts class, but just the policy stuff and way more in depth. It was intellectually enjoyable. Not much application to practice, or the bar exam, but I'd take it again.

acr

Postby acr » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:21 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
acr wrote:They put up the classes for next fall today.

Anybody taken Law and Econ with DeGeest?

I had DeGeest for Contracts and it was my best class and I liked his economic approach to the subject

Curious how his Law & Econ compares and wondering if it's not totally useless

I took both classes with DG. Law and Econ is basically an extension of his contracts class, but just the policy stuff and way more in depth. It was intellectually enjoyable. Not much application to practice, or the bar exam, but I'd take it again.

PM'd

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:50 pm

protips for lrm spring final? is the text worth reading/have answers? powerpoints? homework assignments? which resource is best?

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:27 pm

MtheG

Postby MtheG » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:28 pm

Any class selection advice for a rising 3L who wants to increase GPA and do moderate work? Already did my seminar but I would do another if I could.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:33 pm

Outis Onoma

Postby Outis Onoma » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:10 pm

anyone know when the class of 2015 employment stats are going to be released?

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:33 pm

MtheG wrote:Any class selection advice for a rising 3L who wants to increase GPA and do moderate work? Already did my seminar but I would do another if I could.

Stack some weekend courses and gun hard for the HP, it's the best bang for your buck. Also do an intersession and gun that. If you time them out correctly so you can actually put in some work on them you could be looking at 4-6 credits at 3.94.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:51 am

Yeah weekend classes are probably easier to HP because a lot of people just don't care (and if laptops are allowed many people will pay no attention whatsoever). That said, 1 credit 3.94 isn't going to do much for GPA because you'll already have so many credits as a 3L. Honestly the best option might be to do a clinic and try to get an HP (although I'm not entirely sure that works the same since I never did one).

acr

Postby acr » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:34 pm

So can bombing LRM screw you?

I know it's only 1 credit so statistically speaking I doubt it makes much of an impact.

But it would still suck to have a super low grade on the transcript.

I just literally cannot cram this information into my brain

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:06 am

Yeah it can to the extent it knocks you below cutoffs, especially if it keeps you out of top 10%. It's only 1 credit, but it can easily move you down a couple hundredths as a 1L. Cumulative GPA is what matters, though (unless you fail it).

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:32 am

Sorry for posting again, but I'm in a bit of a tight spot and could really, really use some help. I've missed a few days of class this semester (due to illness and conflicting interview times), and I honestly do not know anyone in any of my classes, so the only notes I have for those days are my own. I'm working on my outlines now and would really like to compare my notes against the outline(s) of those who have taken any of the following classes: Religion & the Constitution (Inazu), 14th Amendment Equal Protection & Due Process (Richards; formerly Con Law II), and Legislation (Magarian).

If you took the course from a different professor than I currently have, and you have an outline that you're willing to share, please do! I'm starting to feel really unsettled about finals and could really use the reassurance that I'm on the right track with my outlining, so any outlines (or flowcharts, etc.) for those courses would be immensely helpful.

I'm also willing to trade materials from past courses I've taken, if that is something that interests you. I have materials from International Law, International Criminal Law, and Employment Discrimination available.

If you have any outlines, etc. for Religion & the Constitution, 14th Amendment, and/or Legislation that you're willing to share or trade, please PM me, and I'll send you my e-mail address.

Thanks so much!

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:43 pm

So it seems like weekend courses are really hit or miss. Below are the weekend courses listed for the Fall Semester so far....can anyone offer any insight or advice for any of these? Much appreciated!

Law and Policy of Electronic Information (Kahn)
Invester-State Arbitration (Khan)
Corporate Governance and Control (Holland)
Alternative Entities: A Business Lawyer's Guide (Parsons)
Interaction of Business, Law, and Public Policy in a democratic society (Kallen)
Law, Business, and Governance (Sale)

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:24 pm

Banshee wrote:So it seems like weekend courses are really hit or miss. Below are the weekend courses listed for the Fall Semester so far....can anyone offer any insight or advice for any of these? Much appreciated!

Law and Policy of Electronic Information (Kahn)
Invester-State Arbitration (Khan)
Corporate Governance and Control (Holland)
Alternative Entities: A Business Lawyer's Guide (Parsons)
Interaction of Business, Law, and Public Policy in a democratic society (Kallen)
Law, Business, and Governance (Sale)

If you're interested in Corporate Law the Holland one can be interesting. It's a lot of stuff you've had in other courses, but it is interesting to get a perspective on it from someone who was on the bench for most of those cases.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:09 pm

Mostly the Holland course is just super easy and the exam is just basic corporations questions. I didn't find it particularly interesting but he's a nice guy and (as I remember) you can use your laptop.

Georges_Valere_Roux

Postby Georges_Valere_Roux » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Does anyone have comments on the Fall 2016 Pretrial professors: Vanessa Keith, Richard Woolf, Tammy Walsh, Tamara King, and Virginia Lay? Lay's section is the only one currently full, though I'm not sure if that's because of the time or her popularity.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:32 pm

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Georges_Valere_Roux wrote:Does anyone have comments on the Fall 2016 Pretrial professors: Vanessa Keith, Richard Woolf, Tammy Walsh, Tamara King, and Virginia Lay? Lay's section is the only one currently full, though I'm not sure if that's because of the time or her popularity.

Wait for Cole in the spring. Dude is by far the best of the bunch.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:22 pm

I had Pretrial with Reese, and he was great, for whatever that's worth. I have no idea what the upcoming schedule looks like though.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:13 pm

MtheG

Postby MtheG » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:11 pm

Lay is the best pretrial professor. With that said, all of the pretrial professors are so different that feelings can be strong and mixed amongst those that take the class.

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:45 pm

Georges_Valere_Roux wrote:Does anyone have comments on the Fall 2016 Pretrial professors: Vanessa Keith, Richard Woolf, Tammy Walsh, Tamara King, and Virginia Lay? Lay's section is the only one currently full, though I'm not sure if that's because of the time or her popularity.

If you're not a dude, don't take a class with Woolf.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:02 pm

sublime wrote:Not bad.

Yeah, and I wonder what would happen if you took out transfers in and added transfers out (i.e. the numbers for people who actually started at WUSTL). Still lagging way behind Vandy/UT, though.

E: had it mixed up
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:55 pm

do clinics/journal count for any of the reqs? (upper-level research and writing or applied lawyering skills)?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”