WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Jmart082

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Jmart082 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:42 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:Anybody willing to share advice and/or materials (outlines and whatnot) for the following classes: The Fourteenth Amendment: Equal Protection & Due Process with Richards [formerly ConLaw II]; Religion & the Constitution with Inazu; & Legislation with Magarian?

I'd appreciate any exam tips or input in general! If anyone has an outline (or charts, other notes, etc.) for any of these classes that they're willing to share, I would be eternally grateful. I'm getting started on my own outlines, but I always compare them to one or two outlines from one of the outline banks towards the end of the semester - except none of the banks has outlines for any of the aforementioned courses. So, anything you could share would really help me out! Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing for Richards, and I took a look at the exam bank. The old Flagg exam doesn't look too different from the sorts of things discussed in class, but I think that Richards probably has his own way of doing things.

nisalurve

Postby nisalurve » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:59 pm

Hey all! I applied to Wash-U recently and they e-mailed me requesting an interview. Is this good/bad? Since I'm in St. Louis already I asked for an in-person interview rather than the Skype/phone call option and I haven't heard back from them in a few days. I understand they're probably super busy, but the anxious applicant in me wants to call and confirm the actual interview time (since they said this Friday, but never mentioned when). Wash-U is pretty much my dream school, but I had written them off since my LSAT isn't that great (163).

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:29 pm

nisalurve wrote:Hey all! I applied to Wash-U recently and they e-mailed me requesting an interview. Is this good/bad? Since I'm in St. Louis already I asked for an in-person interview rather than the Skype/phone call option and I haven't heard back from them in a few days. I understand they're probably super busy, but the anxious applicant in me wants to call and confirm the actual interview time (since they said this Friday, but never mentioned when). Wash-U is pretty much my dream school, but I had written them off since my LSAT isn't that great (163).

Congrats on the interview and good luck!

The interview is pretty much standard operating procedure so I would say it's definitely not a bad thing but not a huge victory. That being said, it's a mild positive sign for your admissions decision, and is a super laid back interview. Mine was in person too and super quick and easy.

You're correct that Admissions is super busy, don't fret too much about a reply. Give them a call Wednesday or Thursday if you don't hear back.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:31 pm

nisalurve wrote:Hey all! I applied to Wash-U recently and they e-mailed me requesting an interview. Is this good/bad? Since I'm in St. Louis already I asked for an in-person interview rather than the Skype/phone call option and I haven't heard back from them in a few days. I understand they're probably super busy, but the anxious applicant in me wants to call and confirm the actual interview time (since they said this Friday, but never mentioned when). Wash-U is pretty much my dream school, but I had written them off since my LSAT isn't that great (163).

At the least, an interview request can't be a bad thing. I would probably just call admissions and get your time confirmed. If you want to wait a few days and see if they email, I'm sure that's cool too. Good luck!

nisalurve

Postby nisalurve » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:41 pm

Fiero85 wrote:

Congrats on the interview and good luck!

The interview is pretty much standard operating procedure so I would say it's definitely not a bad thing but not a huge victory. That being said, it's a mild positive sign for your admissions decision, and is a super laid back interview. Mine was in person too and super quick and easy.

You're correct that Admissions is super busy, don't fret too much about a reply. Give them a call Wednesday or Thursday if you don't hear back.

Ah, well at least it's not negative! Also nice icon, I really felt excited that I was talking to Marshall for a second lol.

Joscellin wrote:At the least, an interview request can't be a bad thing. I would probably just call admissions and get your time confirmed. If you want to wait a few days and see if they email, I'm sure that's cool too. Good luck!

I'll probably call them on Wednesday. Thank you! :)

Dads707

Postby Dads707 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:15 pm

Betharl wrote:Does WUSTL still throw a lot of money at high LSATs, GPA notwithstanding? Currently in law school, but asking for a friend. Also, does a splitter, say 3.0/168+ have any chance at the ED scholarship/would you recommend they go after it?

170/2.66 Got $48k/yr (94%)

Applied RD Only.

No URM Status/No Diversity Bump

Softs:
UG: Electrical Engineering
Top 40 PT MBA
4 Years Government Civilian Work Experience (Currently GS12)

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:24 am

Jmart082 wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:Anybody willing to share advice and/or materials (outlines and whatnot) for the following classes: The Fourteenth Amendment: Equal Protection & Due Process with Richards [formerly ConLaw II]; Religion & the Constitution with Inazu; & Legislation with Magarian?

I'd appreciate any exam tips or input in general! If anyone has an outline (or charts, other notes, etc.) for any of these classes that they're willing to share, I would be eternally grateful. I'm getting started on my own outlines, but I always compare them to one or two outlines from one of the outline banks towards the end of the semester - except none of the banks has outlines for any of the aforementioned courses. So, anything you could share would really help me out! Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing for Richards, and I took a look at the exam bank. The old Flagg exam doesn't look too different from the sorts of things discussed in class, but I think that Richards probably has his own way of doing things.

Agreed. Are there any available outlines from Flagg's class? Like you said, it obviously wouldn't be identical, but it may be somewhat helpful.

Anybody else have input? Additionally, what supplements are recommended for these courses (Equal Protection & Due process, i.e., ConLaw II; Religion & the Constitution; and Legislation)?

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:33 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:

Agreed. Are there any available outlines from Flagg's class? Like you said, it obviously wouldn't be identical, but it may be somewhat helpful.

Anybody else have input? Additionally, what supplements are recommended for these courses (Equal Protection & Due process, i.e., ConLaw II; Religion & the Constitution; and Legislation)?

Chemerinsky is a good starting point for all of those classes (especially Con Law II). That said, he tends to go for breadth over depth, so just supplement with what prof says in lecture.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:48 pm

tsujimoto74 wrote:Anyone in here gone into PI/government? If y, how has your experience with CSO been?

Horrible.

tsujimoto74

Postby tsujimoto74 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:59 pm

JCougar wrote:
tsujimoto74 wrote:Anyone in here gone into PI/government? If y, how has your experience with CSO been?

Horrible.

Can you elaborate on that a little bit? i.e., what exactly has been horrible, things you wish they did differently, etc.?
(Feel free to PM me if you'd rather.)

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:13 pm

tsujimoto74 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Horrible.

Can you elaborate on that a little bit? i.e., what exactly has been horrible, things you wish they did differently, etc.?

I mean, it's not 100% their fault since government/PI hiring is way down due to still-present budget cuts. But they never had a backup plan. My advisor when I was there has since been fired, so maybe you'll get someone better.

Their suggestion to me was basically to go fuck myself and apply for document review. That's the only lead the CSO has ever given me.

tsujimoto74

Postby tsujimoto74 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:48 pm

JCougar wrote:
tsujimoto74 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Horrible.

I mean, it's not 100% their fault since government/PI hiring is way down due to still-present budget cuts. But they never had a backup plan. My advisor when I was there has since been fired, so maybe you'll get someone better.

Their suggestion to me was basically to go fuck myself and apply for document review. That's the only lead the CSO has ever given me.

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully someone whose dealt with them more recently will chime in re: whether it's improved any.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:51 pm

tsujimoto74 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
tsujimoto74 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Horrible.

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully someone whose dealt with them more recently will chime in re: whether it's improved any.

As a 1L, I can say that CSO is very nice, but I haven't found them to be particularly helpful. Granted, there was huge turnover in the office after last year (basically everyone is new I believe). This could also just be that 1Ls aren't really their priority.

All told I've been pretty underwhelmed.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:54 pm

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:44 pm

sublime wrote:I know a lot of PI people were pissed that they fired Carol Vizzier. I'm going the firm route, which seems to be a simpler process for CSO than PI.

Did the new dean push for the turnover in CSO? Hadn't heard about that.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:26 am

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:32 am

Wow, yeah. What are these "career strategists?" And there doesn't appear to be a dedicated clerkship person.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:32 pm

futago

Postby futago » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:20 am

tsujimoto74 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Horrible.

I am aiming for PI/government. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

valen

Postby valen » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:54 am

Does anyone have tips for Con Law I with professor Law? He's been pretty silent about what the exam is like and what he's looking for on it. Thanks -

tebowtime23

Postby tebowtime23 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:48 pm

valen wrote:Does anyone have tips for Con Law I with professor Law? He's been pretty silent about what the exam is like and what he's looking for on it. Thanks -

Seconded.

splitterfromhell

Postby splitterfromhell » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:23 am

What are typical median outcomes at WUSTL?

mjs289

Postby mjs289 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:26 pm

splitterfromhell wrote:What are typical median outcomes at WUSTL?

I want to know about this as well...
and how well does WUSTL place its grads in Chicago? I've been told Chicago is the closest of big markets so it's relatively ok, but really there are a lot of competitions...

acr

Postby acr » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:32 pm

tebowtime23 wrote:
valen wrote:Does anyone have tips for Con Law I with professor Law? He's been pretty silent about what the exam is like and what he's looking for on it. Thanks -

Seconded.

Thirded.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:32 pm

mjs289 wrote:
splitterfromhell wrote:What are typical median outcomes at WUSTL?

I want to know about this as well...
and how well does WUSTL place its grads in Chicago? I've been told Chicago is the closest of big markets so it's relatively ok, but really there are a lot of competitions...

Chicago is pretty brutal (or at least it was as of a couple years ago). I'm not sure I'd go to WUSTL with the intent of going to Chicago.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”