WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Fiero85

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Fiero85 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Congrats on the WUSTL offer. :)

As thorough as your background info was, you'll need to also include your other options at other law schools to make giving sound advice possible.

mjs289

Postby mjs289 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:54 pm

Fiero85 wrote:Congrats on the WUSTL offer. :)

As thorough as your background info was, you'll need to also include your other options at other law schools to make giving sound advice possible.

I'm still waiting for decisions from majority of T14 schools, so don't quite have much option at the hand right now. But I have a few waitlist/hold decisions from mid T14s, so knowing the chances at WUSTL will help me decide for withdrawals. If I have a decent chance at WUSTL, I don't see the point of holding onto the hope of getting into T14 from waitlist/hold. Too much uncertainty.

I guess I phrased the question wrong. I should've asked "Would you recommend WUSTL as a school that will give me a fair chance of achieving my career goal? I think if staying within 30% of the class is a condition, I would say fair in my definition."

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:53 pm

Just wait for your T14 scholarship offers, if any. That'll be the difference maker.

I think it's foolish to assume top 30%, but within those flawed parameters, yes, WUSTL students with patent bar eligibility and passes have realistic chances at a "big law IP" work in the US. No idea about Asian offices but I imagine that's tough to generalize about.

mjs289

Postby mjs289 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:35 pm

Fiero85 wrote:Just wait for your T14 scholarship offers, if any. That'll be the difference maker.

I think it's foolish to assume top 30%, but within those flawed parameters, yes, WUSTL students with patent bar eligibility and passes have realistic chances at a "big law IP" work in the US. No idea about Asian offices but I imagine that's tough to generalize about.

Thanks:) I'm not assuming that I'll be able to be in top 30% of the class. I actually have no confidence whatsoever. Several firms I searched through specifically had the class rank floor, which I wasn't sure if it was based on T14 only. Seems like WUSTL is fine on that side. I'll definitely be waiting for admission from those schools I haven't been held or waitlisted, but will withdraw from wait/hold list. Your answer really helped. Thanks again!

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:18 pm

No problem, good luck with the other potential $ offers! Feel free to ask again at that point. A "choosing" thread of your own might be warranted too if you have multiple offers to consider, because IP is a lil different than general employment, especially with the added international questions. Take care.

Petrichor

Postby Petrichor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:54 pm

can someone comment on the CoL? WUSTL estimates ~$22k a year and this seems...a bit high for StL? If I attend I'd probably live in CWE, don't mind roomate(s). Might bring a car but also have a bike for commuting. Are groceries expensive (compared to NYC/Chi/LA)?

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:11 pm

The estimate is way high. Mostly so people who happen to need it for some individualized reason aren't blocked.

My experienced estimate is:
Total cheap ass with roomies, no frills apartment, no car = ~12k
More normal version of being cheap, no car = ~14k
More normal version of being cheap, w/ car = ~17k
Ballin out, minus car = ~18k
Ballin out, waking up in a new Buggati =~ 20k

16-18k is average, I'd wager.

Groceries not notably expensive or cheap for decision making purposes.

Petrichor

Postby Petrichor » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:18 pm

Fiero85 wrote:The estimate is way high. Mostly so people who happen to need it for some individualized reason aren't blocked.

My experienced estimate is:
Total cheap ass with roomies, no frills apartment, no car = ~12k
More normal version of being cheap, no car = ~14k
More normal version of being cheap, w/ car = ~17k
Ballin out, minus car = ~18k
Ballin out, waking up in a new Buggati =~ 20k

16-18k is average, I'd wager.

Groceries not notably expensive or cheap for decision making purposes.

ty!

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:34 pm

It really depends on how you live, but you can get by on $17k just fine if you're frugal. Cooking at home is essential, and you better be on a family plan for your phone. No car. Limited haircuts/clothing purchases. You're going to need a decent suit and a pair of shoes (and belt, tie, etc.), so I'd reserve $1k for both those things.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:27 pm

Petrichor wrote:can someone comment on the CoL? WUSTL estimates ~$22k a year and this seems...a bit high for StL? If I attend I'd probably live in CWE, don't mind roomate(s). Might bring a car but also have a bike for commuting. Are groceries expensive (compared to NYC/Chi/LA)?

I am on pace to finish the calendar year at under 6k, but the recent decrease in gas/food prices helped with that. I get to split rent with my girlfriend though, which really helps. I also bring my lunch and coffee from home everyday and cut my own hair. Food is cheap quite cheap relative to large cities, as are most other consumer goods.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:09 pm

RareExports wrote:
Petrichor wrote:can someone comment on the CoL? WUSTL estimates ~$22k a year and this seems...a bit high for StL? If I attend I'd probably live in CWE, don't mind roomate(s). Might bring a car but also have a bike for commuting. Are groceries expensive (compared to NYC/Chi/LA)?

I am on pace to finish the calendar year at under 6k, but the recent decrease in gas/food prices helped with that. I get to split rent with my girlfriend though, which really helps. I also bring my lunch and coffee from home everyday and cut my own hair. Food is cheap quite cheap relative to large cities, as are most other consumer goods.

$500 a month total for rent, food, gas, car insurance, parking, misc. expenses is insane. I'm assuming that your GF is subsidizing a lot of that. I assume that also excludes books?

Reasonably 15K a year is doable, 17k should be pretty comfortable.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:00 pm

$15k per year is kind of on the high end (E: for "doable"), in my opinion.
Last edited by hoos89 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acr

Postby acr » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:19 pm

I'm surviving on 10K living by myself at a decently nice place in the CWE and driving to school

Betharl

Postby Betharl » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:15 pm

Does WUSTL still throw a lot of money at high LSATs, GPA notwithstanding? Currently in law school, but asking for a friend. Also, does a splitter, say 3.0/168+ have any chance at the ED scholarship/would you recommend they go after it?

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:27 pm

Betharl wrote:Does WUSTL still throw a lot of money at high LSATs, GPA notwithstanding? Currently in law school, but asking for a friend. Also, does a splitter, say 3.0/168+ have any chance at the ED scholarship/would you recommend they go after it?

Check out http://mylsn.info/

It appears that WUSTL has pretty consistently accepted splitters in 2.5-3.0 and 168-170 neighborhood. And with scholarships of about 50% off on average. WUSTL pretty much waives everyone's app fee so just tell your friend to def at least to the regular app and find out, nothing to lose.

No idea re: ED stuff, it's a newish thing

valen

Postby valen » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Betharl wrote:Does WUSTL still throw a lot of money at high LSATs, GPA notwithstanding? Currently in law school, but asking for a friend. Also, does a splitter, say 3.0/168+ have any chance at the ED scholarship/would you recommend they go after it?

I was 3.1/171 and went for the ED. I was denied ED full scholly but ended up at 90%. So she/he should go for it if WUSTL is the appropriate choice.

I am not regretting my decision (I came here pretty exclusively because of the $), but I also can understand why some might. 1L fwiw.

acr

Postby acr » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:17 pm

I was accepted ED 3.57/167 KJD

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:35 pm

acr wrote:I was accepted ED 3.57/167 KJD

URM? I'd avoid misleading applicants. If not URM, strong soft?

tsujimoto74

Postby tsujimoto74 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:09 pm

Anyone in here gone into PI/government? If y, how has your experience with CSO been?

acr

Postby acr » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:20 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:

Why are you insinuating that I'm misleading applicants?

No, I'm not a URM. I am a normal white male. No, I don't have work experience or any other incredible softs as far as I know. Those are my stats and I was accepted ED. I'm sorry if you don't believe me.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:54 pm

acr wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

No, I'm not a URM. I am a normal white male. No, I don't have work experience or any other incredible softs as far as I know. Those are my stats and I was accepted ED. I'm sorry if you don't believe me.

Because getting a full scholarship with those stats (and not URM/softs) is out of the norm. Congrats for beating your #s, but most people can't expect that.

acr

Postby acr » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:59 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
acr wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

Because getting a full scholarship with those stats (and not URM/softs) is out of the norm. Congrats for beating your #s, but most people can't expect that.

I never said most people can expect it. It's just another data point on an already small sample size of ED applicants.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:01 pm

acr wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
acr wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

I never said most people can expect it.

Clam down, broheim. It's okay. It'll all be okay.

w00kash

Postby w00kash » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:28 pm

acr wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
acr wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

I never said most people can expect it. It's just another data point on an already small sample size of ED applicants.

It's really not even that crazy. I had almost the exact same numbers with just barely a lower gpa and no ED and fell about 10k total (assuming based on past tuition inflation numbers) short of a full ride. I think that's pretty much what a 167+ LSAT and mediocre GPA counted for last year. I doubt those same numbers would've gotten the same results this cycle though.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:36 pm

Anybody willing to share advice and/or materials (outlines and whatnot) for the following classes: The Fourteenth Amendment: Equal Protection & Due Process with Richards [formerly ConLaw II]; Religion & the Constitution with Inazu; & Legislation with Magarian?

I'd appreciate any exam tips or input in general! If anyone has an outline (or charts, other notes, etc.) for any of these classes that they're willing to share, I would be eternally grateful. I'm getting started on my own outlines, but I always compare them to one or two outlines from one of the outline banks towards the end of the semester - except none of the banks has outlines for any of the aforementioned courses. So, anything you could share would really help me out! Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”