WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
xspider

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby xspider » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:09 pm

Anyone have knowledge on how URMS perform at OCI and job fairs? Specifically AA?

Median is not ideal, but would median keep one out of the running for big law completely?

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:57 pm

xspider wrote:Anyone have knowledge on how URMS perform at OCI and job fairs? Specifically AA?

Median is not ideal, but would median keep one out of the running for big law completely?

Full disclosure, I'm not URM. And I don't want to paint too rosy of a picture so Hoos, feel free to disagree. But I think AA at median gives you a shot. You'll get lots of screeners. Still far from a guarantee of getting an offer, but the screeners will be there.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:00 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:
xspider wrote:Anyone have knowledge on how URMS perform at OCI and job fairs? Specifically AA?

Full disclosure, I'm not URM. And I don't want to paint too rosy of a picture so Hoos, feel free to disagree. But I think AA at median gives you a shot. You'll get lots of screeners. Still far from a guarantee of getting an offer, but the screeners will be there.

Agreed, definite shot. Just hit up every possible diversity fair because you probably still won't fare well at OCI. Any amount you can improve your grades from median would be a huge help, especially if you can get at or near top 1/3.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:47 pm

Are the distributions up somewhere? If not how do you know the highest grades?

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:48 pm

hoos89 wrote:Are the distributions up somewhere? If not how do you know the highest grades?

Word of mouth, so it's not 100% accurate, but I have a friend who got a 3.76 and received confirmation of a CALI award. They email us telling us we got the CALI now. Isn't it a problem if it is literally impossible to get rank 1 in any given section? I'm not in B, so I am objectively pissed.

I have the 3.76 professor in the spring though.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:01 pm

Yeah that's pretty ridiculous. I guess it's possible that no exams separated themselves from the pack (and that a higher score could have been obtained), but that's the lowest Cali I've ever heard of so it seems weird regardless.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:12 pm

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:29 pm

Pretty sure I've seen 94s. Maybe a 93. (Seriously the old scale makes way more sense.)

valen

Postby valen » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:03 pm

Does anyone know when the percentile tables usually get published?

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:06 pm

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:07 pm

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:23 pm

sublime wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Yeah that's pretty ridiculous. I guess it's possible that no exams separated themselves from the pack (and that a higher score could have been obtained), but that's the lowest Cali I've ever heard of so it seems weird regardless.

Lowest CALI by a ton. I don't think I have heard of anything sub 4.0.

Are we talking just 1L doctrinals? I've got a 3.82 CALI outside of those, but I don't know if that's rare

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:03 pm

Yeah I guess they can get pretty low with the median shifting in upper level classes.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:52 am

Apparently the issue was that the exam was so brokenly easy it was impossible to stand out, and since there's a mandatory mean...

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:00 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Apparently the issue was that the exam was so brokenly easy it was impossible to stand out, and since there's a mandatory mean...

To follow up, apparently like 8 people got Cali for it at 3.76.

xspider

Postby xspider » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:13 pm

I just saw in this thread that median grades can possibly be enough for one to transfer into a T14.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=258975

Wouldn't median at WUSTL have to be close to 3.5 if that is enough for some people?

And if that is so, wouldn't WUSTL be a non-guaranteed but strategic maneuver as an alternative route into the T14? Assuming someone wants biglaw or other prestigious jobs exclusively offered only at T14s?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:42 pm

xspider wrote:I just saw in this thread that median grades can possibly be enough for one to transfer into a T14.

Wouldn't median at WUSTL have to be close to 3.5 if that is enough for some people?

And if that is so, wouldn't WUSTL be a non-guaranteed but strategic maneuver as an alternative route into the T14? Assuming someone wants biglaw or other prestigious jobs exclusively offered only at T14s?

I don't know about getting into T14's at median, but even assuming you can transfer to a T14, you'd still be seen as median at WUSTL during OCI. Yes you'd get more interviews at a lottery school, but you'd be still be facing an uphill battle to actually get big law and would now be paying sticker at a T14. I guess you could try it and then drop out if you don't get a job by the deadline for a tuition refund.

xspider

Postby xspider » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:04 pm

hoos89 wrote:
xspider wrote:I just saw in this thread that median grades can possibly be enough for one to transfer into a T14.

I don't know about getting into T14's at median, but even assuming you can transfer to a T14, you'd still be seen as median at WUSTL during OCI. Yes you'd get more interviews at a lottery school, but you'd be still be facing an uphill battle to actually get big law and would now be paying sticker at a T14. I guess you could try it and then drop out if you don't get a job by the deadline for a tuition refund.

Yeah, that was my thinking. But then again, I was not sure since most of the complaints about WUSTL,GW and the majority of T20s is only the top 25% are selected by firms to interview.

So I guess it would come down to potentially striking out on your own directly (transferring and getting blown off by firms during the interview) or indirectly striking out (not being pre-selected at prior school). But apparently interviewing skills mean a lot and I assume transferring into a T14 has to give one some intellectual validity.

Full disclosure, I'm a 0L that knows nothing or very little, only speculating and trying to educate myself.

ForgotMyPassword

Postby ForgotMyPassword » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:57 pm

xspider wrote:
hoos89 wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=258975

Yeah, that was my thinking. But then again, I was not sure since most of the complaints about WUSTL,GW and the majority of T20s is only the top 25% are selected by firms to interview.

So I guess it would come down to potentially striking out on your own directly (transferring and getting blown off by firms during the interview) or indirectly striking out (not being pre-selected at prior school). But apparently interviewing skills mean a lot and I assume transferring into a T14 has to give one some intellectual validity.

Full disclosure, I'm a 0L that knows nothing or very little, only speculating and trying to educate myself.

You're absolutely correct. Median at WUSTL is right around there (Confirm this by looking at the grading range allowed for 1L classes), and now that schools have to report the 25/50/75th percentiles for transfer gpa's having a higher median likely does help. Hoos is also right that you'll be looked at as a WUSTL student at whatever rank you were before, but you'll also get 15-30 guaranteed interviews depending on the T14 you transfer to.

Anecdotally when I transferred a couple firms I interviewed with didn't seem to care about my WUSTL grades. One interviewer flat out said he assumed they were good and moved on from there, and since I got a cb I don't think he was just blowing smoke. Still, I would be careful with transferring - it's a lot of dough to spend when you may be fine if you stayed.

acr

Postby acr » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:06 pm

ForgotMyPassword wrote:
xspider wrote:
hoos89 wrote:

You're absolutely correct. Median at WUSTL is right around there (Confirm this by looking at the grading range allowed for 1L classes), and now that schools have to report the 25/50/75th percentiles for transfer gpa's having a higher median likely does help. Hoos is also right that you'll be looked at as a WUSTL student at whatever rank you were before, but you'll also get 15-30 guaranteed interviews depending on the T14 you transfer to.

Anecdotally when I transferred a couple firms I interviewed with didn't seem to care about my WUSTL grades. One interviewer flat out said he assumed they were good and moved on from there, and since I got a cb I don't think he was just blowing smoke. Still, I would be careful with transferring - it's a lot of dough to spend when you may be fine if you stayed.

Where can you find the transfer statistics you referred to in your post? I've been looking around on schools' websites and I can't find any transfer statistics.

Edit: nevermind, found it

KunAgnis

Postby KunAgnis » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:49 am

hoos89 wrote:Yeah that's pretty ridiculous. I guess it's possible that no exams separated themselves from the pack (and that a higher score could have been obtained), but that's the lowest Cali I've ever heard of so it seems weird regardless.

Bit late on this-but I was in that section (A and B had the same prof). And let me tell you, that exam was ridiculously easy; objectively easy since we had 10 CALI's. This prof completely screwed over A and B's scores compared to the rest of the 1L class.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:14 am

KunAgnis wrote:

Bit late on this-but I was in that section (A and B had the same prof). And let me tell you, that exam was ridiculously easy; objectively easy since we had 10 CALI's. This prof completely screwed over A and B's scores compared to the rest of the 1L class.

I'll be interested to see the grade distribution. Those 10 people, I feel, have something of a gripe, but the section at large should be fine, since a CALI set that low means everyone should be pretty clustered right around that 3.55 mark. No one got a super high grade, sure, but because of that no one should make a super low one, either.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:19 am

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:14 pm

Sections C and D are the only ones who don't have him, since E and F have him his semester. Yay. Watch the top 5% be exclusively C and D.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”