WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sublime

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby sublime » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:11 pm

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:16 am

You can definitely land biglaw from WUSTL without being at the very top of the class. I think pretty much everyone who transferred who was at or just below top third snagged a solid SA if they wanted it/outperformed their numbers. I don't think you're shooting yourself in the foot by taking money here for a year.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Anyone have an opinion on Crain? PM me if you want. Thanks.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:30 pm

How soon should LP and LRM grades be expected when the final LP memo was due November 15 and the final LRM exam is November 20? Are these grades typically announced before the doctrinal grades?

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:35 pm

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Yep for me last year lrm was up maybe a week after exams ended and lp I think was the first week of January maybe.

Georges_Valere_Roux

Postby Georges_Valere_Roux » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:17 pm

There's been a lot written here about evidence with Rosen, but has anyone taken his ethics course? It's a multiple choice exam.

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:41 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:Anyone have an opinion on Crain? PM me if you want. Thanks.

she's good. one of the better professors I had at WashU.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:44 pm

I hear a lot of "Bombed Greenfield's midterm, booked final." and vice versa. Can anybody tell me how common this is? Does it really just switch? Am I fucked? Is there 0 chance I can get a high A- or an A? I wrote a horse shit exam, but don't other people also write horse shit exams?

earthabides

Postby earthabides » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:51 pm

sublime wrote:I'm a 3l with nyc biglaw.

I got lucky, and it is a risk, but I was debt averse and came here on a full. No real ties to stl. It worked out for me, but it is a balance and nobody can answer how important biglaw is to you weighed against how debt averse you are besides you. I've also seen several people end up outside our biglaw range and transfer and get it that way.

As an aside, it has been awhile since I interacted with cso but I didn't have any real complaints. This was before the shake up, but for biglaw, cso isn't needed much aside from setting up oci.

Did you put your full scholarship on your resume? Do you feel like that helped with securing BL?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:21 pm

earthabides wrote:

I got lucky, and it is a risk, but I was debt averse and came here on a full. No real ties to stl. It worked out for me, but it is a balance and nobody can answer how important biglaw is to you weighed against how debt averse you are besides you. I've also seen several people end up outside our biglaw range and transfer and get it that way.

As an aside, it has been awhile since I interacted with cso but I didn't have any real complaints. This was before the shake up, but for biglaw, cso isn't needed much aside from setting up oci.

Did you put your full scholarship on your resume? Do you feel like that helped with securing BL?

Lots of people put scholarships on resumes and no it doesn't help much if at all. Its biggest service to you is helping you fill up the page if you're a K/JD without much work experience.

earthabides

Postby earthabides » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:28 pm

hoos89 wrote:
earthabides wrote:

Lots of people put scholarships on resumes and no it doesn't help much if at all. Its biggest service to you is helping you fill up the page if you're a K/JD without much work experience.

Fair, even with a full I feel like WUSTL is risky for me since im not a citizen it's BL or bust.

bluedolphin

Postby bluedolphin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:26 pm

I put the full amount on my resume but only because I'm a splitter and I was trying to avoid gpa questions.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:41 pm

bluedolphin wrote:I put the full amount on my resume but only because I'm a splitter and I was trying to avoid gpa questions.

Hardly any firm interviewer is going to ask about UGPA. I think I had that asked one time and I still got a callback (my UGPA was pretty bad).

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:37 pm

Yeah some people will tell you that you need to put your UGPA on your resume, this is totally inaccurate. If it's not good, leave it off. If they want to know about it, they can ask. I can't imagine a firm holding it against you that your UGPA isn't on your resume.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:56 pm

Agreed. I had sub-3.0 UGPA and kept it off my resume. Thankfully, no one ever asked in dozens of firm interviews.

Clerkships, annoyingly, were a different story.

bluedolphin

Postby bluedolphin » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:57 am

I never got asked my gpa, but again most interviewers will think you have a good gpa if your getting like 35k+ a year. What grad school would give like 70% tuition to someone with under a 2.7?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:01 am

bluedolphin wrote:I never got asked my gpa, but again most interviewers will think you have a good gpa if your getting like 35k+ a year. What grad school would give like 70% tuition to someone with under a 2.7?

Wash U law might (and did a couple of years ago, I think). If you don't have your GPA on there and you have a scholarship, interviewers will probably just assume high LSAT.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:26 am

bluedolphin

Postby bluedolphin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:00 pm

sublime wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
bluedolphin wrote:I never got asked my gpa, but again most interviewers will think you have a good gpa if your getting like 35k+ a year. What grad school would give like 70% tuition to someone with under a 2.7?

Wash U law might (and did a couple of years ago, I think). If you don't have your GPA on there and you have a scholarship, interviewers will probably just assume high LSAT.

Definitely did, at least sub 3.0.

Whooooosh.

What practicing attorneys actually know that? They just remember back in 07 when they were applying to law schools and getting really shitty money.

mornincounselor

Postby mornincounselor » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:41 am

I have a couple ofquestions that I don't think anyone will really be able to answer without quite a bit of speculation, but here goes.

(1) Let's assume people with strong LSAT and uGPA's are likely to do better than average in law school, let's also assume the average TLS'er will do better than average in law school. WashU seems to recruit more of those high GPA and LSAT applicants (because they have the $$$) than their peer schools, and it seems like quite a few more TLS'ers end up there compared to peer schools. Additionally, I do not think the school has to recruit any certain percentage of people from any one state, so they have free reign to select the "best" people. Do you think, because of these factors, it may be harder for a student to be in the top x% at WashU v. peer schools?

(2) It seems like (relative to peer schools) tons of WashU students end up transferring out after 1L. Do you think the continuation of this trend may lead to some kick-back from the administration? Might the school start structuring scholarships so students get more of the money during their upperclassman years? Or might the professors be advised to be less willing to write transfer LoRs?

And here's a couple that may be easier to anwser.

(3) In the past, have top (let's say 1/3rd) students, who are not here on full rides, been given incentives to stay after 1L (a) initially, (b) only after getting accepted into other schools, or (c) not at all?

(4) WashU is the best law school in Missouri. It also is ranked higher than any school in most of the neighboring states (i.e. Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Arkansaw, Mississippi) Has anyone tried getting a job in those states? Is a WashU degree looked at favorably in those states? Are there just not a lot of high-paying legal jobs in any of those states? (seems far-fetched) It seems like tons of opportunities for a WashU grad who did decently. Or are all those markets super insular?

Any insight would be extremely helpful.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:56 am

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:24 am

Agree with Sublime that I doubt it's any harder to do well here compared with our peer schools. I understand the thinking that being splitter friendly and TLS popular could make a difference, but I would think it would be negligible. Also agree that changing the scholarship format seems very unlikely.

I think the high percentage of transfers out has a lot to do with out ranking, but I also think the fact that everyone here is either on TLS or at least familiar with it probably plays a roll. I seriously doubt (and hope) that admin would discourage or downright ask profs to not write LOR's.

I also tried to get money after 1L and was denied and know of others that were.

Almost all small markets are super insular. If you are a wustl student from city X, it's just hard to sell why you want to move to Wichita or whatever after school. That being said, I am from a neighboring state and had a couple interviews there this summer. Wustl is very highly thought of, at least by the good firms in my state, but keep in mind I was from there or probably wouldn't have gotten those interviews.

Also I don't know what your definition of high paying is, but there is definitely a dearth of high paying legal jobs in states without big cities if you're talking six figures.
Last edited by LET'S GET IT on Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:25 am

mornincounselor wrote:(4) WashU is the best law school in Missouri. It also is ranked higher than any school in most of the neighboring states (i.e. Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Oklahoma, Arkansaw, Mississippi) Has anyone tried getting a job in those states? Is a WashU degree looked at favorably in those states? Are there just not a lot of high-paying legal jobs in any of those states? (seems far-fetched) It seems like tons of opportunities for a WashU grad who did decently. Or are all those markets super insular?

Yes to the bold. From personal, experience, I can only speak to Kansas and Oklahoma. If you're from either of those places and go to WUSTL and finish top 25%, firms will probably put you on equal footing with someone in the top 10% from the state flagship (KU and OU). So that could be helpful, assuming that you'd have an easier chance finishing top third at WUSTL despite the presumably higher level of competition. TLS argues non-stop about the variance (or lack thereof) in student quality among differently ranked schools--my personal opinion is that, if the money is equal, you're better off giving yourself the margin of error at WUSTL vs. having to crush it at the state flagship.

If, on the other hand, you're not from any of those markets, good luck getting a firm job there. If you went to YHS and you want to live in Kansas on a lark, and you have at least a decent explanation, then maybe. But WashU isn't at that level. It's well respected in the region, but not enough to get you a job with no ties.

For all the states you mentioned, you're looking at starting salaries ranging from $100k-$125k. Pretty solid, given the COL. However, in a market like KC or OKC or Tulsa or Des Moines, there are probably only 30-40 SA positions in the whole city at firms paying those salaries. So, good luck.

Edit: partially scooped by LET'S GET IT.

mornincounselor

Postby mornincounselor » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:51 am

Ah, those bloody ties. Young people can't help where they grew up at. One would think law school should be a chance to select a new locale.

"My parents lived in region Y, I hate region Y despite growing up there.I purposely selected this school in region X, I did summer work in region x, I'm involved with organizations in region x, all my law school friends/colleagues are in region x, ect."

An argument like this won't fly? Employers in region x won't hire me because I might suddenly bolt back to region y? Is that the rational? Being born in California/NY, brings with it this presumption that one loves California/NY? Hmmph.

Let's forgot large firms for a second. If someone moves to WashU from outside the region and (starting with their 1L summer) begins gunning hard for midwestern pd/da type jobs are there these same fears there?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”