WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
LET'S GET IT

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby LET'S GET IT » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:23 pm

The gunner conspiracy is omnipresent and transcends all, although it's presence is more widely felt with certain classes.

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:38 pm

For legal research are the weekly assignments etc. graded? Also is legal research curved? Or are people referring to legal writing screwing them when they say LRW?

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:51 pm

TetrisBlock wrote:For legal research are the weekly assignments etc. graded? Also is legal research curved? Or are people referring to legal writing screwing them when they say LRW?

The assignments are graded and the class is curved.

ForgotMyPassword

Postby ForgotMyPassword » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:01 pm

TetrisBlock wrote:For legal research are the weekly assignments etc. graded? Also is legal research curved? Or are people referring to legal writing screwing them when they say LRW?

If you have Kloempken, the assignments are only graded insofar as if you don't turn them in you lose the entire 15% for homework. As long as you turn it in and made any effort you're fine, so don't stress about getting them 100% right.

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:38 pm

Thank goodness. So when people say LRW screwing them they mean the Legal Practice assignments like the advisory letter etc.?

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:50 pm

TetrisBlock wrote:Thank goodness. So when people say LRW screwing them they mean the Legal Practice assignments like the advisory letter etc.?

They mean that or the actual final exam from second semester of Legal Research, which counts for most of the grade, and which a lot of people didn't take seriously at all. I myself got f**cked in LP, as our professor changed her late assignments policy between first and second semester such that she would dock you 5 percent of the grade for every hour late, or possibly even more than that. Watch out with that if you plan on doing the LP assignments in a single sitting like I did.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:57 pm

[quote="LET'S GET IT"]The gunner conspiracy is omnipresent and transcends all, although it's presence is more widely felt with certain classes.[/quote
My favorite gunner was the guy who proclaimed to a bunch of us that he would be first in the class during what was essentially our first big social outing. He was wrong.

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:27 pm

ForgotMyPassword wrote:

If you have Kloempken, the assignments are only graded insofar as if you don't turn them in you lose the entire 15% for homework. As long as you turn it in and made any effort you're fine, so don't stress about getting them 100% right.

also i hear from SWIM that you can turn in these assignments a semester late and still snag the full 15%

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:30 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
TetrisBlock wrote:Thank goodness. So when people say LRW screwing them they mean the Legal Practice assignments like the advisory letter etc.?

They mean that or the actual final exam from second semester of Legal Research, which counts for most of the grade, and which a lot of people didn't take seriously at all. I myself got f**cked in LP, as our professor changed her late assignments policy between first and second semester such that she would dock you 5 percent of the grade for every hour late, or possibly even more than that. Watch out with that if you plan on doing the LP assignments in a single sitting like I did.

wow that professor sounds like a witch

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:39 pm

Who gives take home exams/24 hr exams? And is it possible to go all 3 years without ever taking one of those.

lososos

Postby lososos » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:04 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Who gives take home exams/24 hr exams? And is it possible to go all 3 years without ever taking one of those.

Magarian con law was a 24 hr take home, so you'll avoid/not avoid based on whether you get him as a prof during 1L. otherwise it's probably possible to avoid that kind of test

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Soooooooo....is it possible to bomb LRW and still do well enough in doctrinals to get a couple screeners? I'm not writing it off or anything, but I felt awful about the closed memo I turned in. Today we peer-reviewed emails that we turned in Sunday. We were told to spend less than an hour on it. The email I read was two pages and I enjoyed reading it. My email was half a page and I imagine the reviewer was grateful it was only that long. My legal writing has been really terse, but I think we're not allowed to ask students for proof reading so I'll likely be brief for the rest of 1L unless I can find a supplement. Does anyone have any books that go over the legal writing process besides the two books we bought? They're useful, but I would like to read another book if it's good.

I take back everything I said a couple weeks ago about LRW not seeming so bad. Since the students from a couple years ago said to punt on it, does that mean it's possible to do horribly and still have grades for OCI or am I already doomed?

acr

Postby acr » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:31 pm

TetrisBlock wrote:Soooooooo....is it possible to bomb LRW and still do well enough in doctrinals to get a couple screeners? I'm not writing it off or anything, but I felt awful about the closed memo I turned in. Today we peer-reviewed emails that we turned in Sunday. We were told to spend less than an hour on it. The email I read was two pages and I enjoyed reading it. My email was half a page and I imagine the reviewer was grateful it was only that long. My legal writing has been really terse, but I think we're not allowed to ask students for proof reading so I'll likely be brief for the rest of 1L unless I can find a supplement. Does anyone have any books that go over the legal writing process besides the two books we bought? They're useful, but I would like to read another book if it's good.

I take back everything I said a couple weeks ago about LRW not seeming so bad. Since the students from a couple years ago said to punt on it, does that mean it's possible to do horribly and still have grades for OCI or am I already doomed?

Dude, my email was the same. I had no clue what was actually supposed to go into that damn email. Luckily it's only 15 points of the 275 of the memo--now idea how she's grading the email

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Yes it's totally possible to get screeners with poor LP grades. Relax.

I'll leave the advice on how to improve to others, other than this: go talk to your TA and professor and tear that first assignment apart under their supervision. Really improve it, and build on what you learn for the next assignments. Good luck!

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:36 pm

TetrisBlock wrote:Soooooooo....is it possible to bomb LRW and still do well enough in doctrinals to get a couple screeners? I'm not writing it off or anything, but I felt awful about the closed memo I turned in. Today we peer-reviewed emails that we turned in Sunday. We were told to spend less than an hour on it. The email I read was two pages and I enjoyed reading it. My email was half a page and I imagine the reviewer was grateful it was only that long. My legal writing has been really terse, but I think we're not allowed to ask students for proof reading so I'll likely be brief for the rest of 1L unless I can find a supplement. Does anyone have any books that go over the legal writing process besides the two books we bought? They're useful, but I would like to read another book if it's good.

Relax. Legal research and writing were my worst grades and I still got screeners. Do as well in there as you can, but if you don't do well in there you can still get plenty of screeners.

Scooped by Fiero. I also will pass on giving advice since I didn't do so well in that class.

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:59 pm

acr wrote:

Dude, my email was the same. I had no clue what was actually supposed to go into that damn email. Luckily it's only 15 points of the 275 of the memo--now idea how she's grading the email

I got the second lowest grade in the class in lp my 1st semester and third lowest grade in my 2nd semester, and I still did fine on getting screeners.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:37 pm

Also you're probably not even doing that poorly. I wouldn't be surprised if you're in the median range. Also you don't just totally punt on LRW. You do nothing in it until a few days before the exam and then study.

And another thing: being concise is usually a good quality for legal writing.

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:44 pm

anecdotally i had similar LP grades to chingwoo and was told by that professor that they had reservations about my ever becoming a practicing attorney. i did well at OCI. i don't recommend punting it because it can kill your GPA and you will need to compensate for this in your doctrinals. second to everything that fiero/LGI said

e: make flashcards 1-2 days before the LRW exam. you'll be fine.

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Thank you for the advice everyone. It's easy to think I can still do well in doctrinals because I have no evidence yet that I'm terrible at it, but in LRW my shitty skills seemed to be right in my face when doing the peer review. It's reassuring to hear that even if I do poorly it's not the end of the world (but I should try not to do poorly because that can suck).

still wish it was P/F

legit

Postby legit » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:02 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:They're not even deans fellow or full rides, they just think they're going to be top 10% because other people "seem dumb in class"/"don't work as hard"/"are K-JD and immature" or idk because they think they're special unicorns.

I've heard "THIS guy is a deans fellow? But he's so awkward, weird, and not smart in class!" Too fucking much.

I try to talk about finding biglaw outside of OCI (since a bunch of 2L's have mentioned getting offers outside OCI), and everybody just rolls their eyes at me.

People I hate:

"I went to (top 20 undergrad), have you heard of it?"

"I have not heard a single person say something insightful in class since the start of school."

"I hate when people don't know the answer to a cold call when it's right in the case. It's like they just don't get it."

"This case reminds me of the time -personal anecdote-." (in class)

-When somebody doesn't know the answer to prof's q, turn around and stare at them.-

"I'm planning to be top 10%."

^ Not a single one of these people were invited to the dean's fellow dinner.

Also interesting reactions after the 1L Client and Counseling Competition...

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:54 am

Anyone have a Klovning success story they'd like to share?

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:17 am

RareExports wrote:Anyone have a Klovning success story they'd like to share?

Make sure you know your A's.

(Acronyms)

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:40 pm

Greenfield's midterm grades come out tomorrow, and I know they don't matter too much, but I'm still about to shit my pants. Will let you all know if I'm destined to be median.

To be clear, median is 3.55 right? And top 10% is 4.0+? Is that how the curve works?

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:48 pm

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:51 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Greenfield's midterm grades come out tomorrow, and I know they don't matter too much, but I'm still about to shit my pants. Will let you all know if I'm destined to be median.

To be clear, median is 3.55 right? And top 10% is 4.0+? Is that how the curve works?

There is a little bit of wiggle room for median. Most profs use a 3.55 median but I think Greenfield is one of the special few that often use a lower median. Also top 10% isn't 4.0. More like 3.85 I think.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”