WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tealeaves12

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby tealeaves12 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:54 am

Last edited by tealeaves12 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:05 am

A buddy who's a dean's fellow went to this special dinner thing the other night. Do you guys know if this was for everybody who was offered a full ride or full ride + stipend? Cause he showed me the guest list and it was 40 people. This didn't include people I know who negotiated to a full ride.

If this dinner was for people who got a full ride offer right off the bat, that means something like 25% of the class isn't paying at all. Class size is 205, but I think someone dropped. Is this normal for wustl?

This caused a visceral reaction and was unacceptable to some people who though they were better than most of the class and were going to get top 10%, and there I sat thinking "oh boy I hope our median goes up to 167".

I'm also pretty tired of getting bitched out for saying that there's no guarantee any of us will be at the top of our class, nor is there a guarantee we'll get that international environmental biglaw Justice Department clerkship.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:23 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:A buddy who's a dean's fellow went to this special dinner thing the other night. Do you guys know if this was for everybody who was offered a full ride or full ride + stipend? Cause he showed me the guest list and it was 40 people. This didn't include people I know who negotiated to a full ride.

If this dinner was for people who got a full ride offer right off the bat, that means something like 25% of the class isn't paying at all. Class size is 205, but I think someone dropped. Is this normal for wustl?

This caused a visceral reaction and was unacceptable to some people who though they were better than most of the class and were going to get top 10%, and there I sat thinking "oh boy I hope our median goes up to 167".

I'm also pretty tired of getting bitched out for saying that there's no guarantee any of us will be at the top of our class, nor is there a guarantee we'll get that international environmental biglaw Justice Department clerkship.

I don't have anything to say to your other points, but I would guess the proportion of 1Ls on full tuition or more scholarships this year is closer to a third or so.

tealeaves12

Postby tealeaves12 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:04 pm

Last edited by tealeaves12 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:01 pm

They're not even deans fellow or full rides, they just think they're going to be top 10% because other people "seem dumb in class"/"don't work as hard"/"are K-JD and immature" or idk because they think they're special unicorns.

I've heard "THIS guy is a deans fellow? But he's so awkward, weird, and not smart in class!" Too fucking much.

I try to talk about finding biglaw outside of OCI (since a bunch of 2L's have mentioned getting offers outside OCI), and everybody just rolls their eyes at me.

People I hate:

"I went to (top 20 undergrad), have you heard of it?"

"I have not heard a single person say something insightful in class since the start of school."

"I hate when people don't know the answer to a cold call when it's right in the case. It's like they just don't get it."

"This case reminds me of the time -personal anecdote-." (in class)

-When somebody doesn't know the answer to prof's q, turn around and stare at them.-

"I'm planning to be top 10%."

^ Not a single one of these people were invited to the dean's fellow dinner.

Outis Onoma

Postby Outis Onoma » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:36 pm

Sorry about your classmates Peanuts.

They're going to be shocked when first semester grades come out and they realize their "insightful" class comments didn't translate to good grades.

aspire2esquire

Postby aspire2esquire » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Limited info online about the fellowship...does anybody have specific number ranges?

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:22 pm

aspire2esquire wrote:Limited info online about the fellowship...does anybody have specific number ranges?

I don't, but being above both medians is a good start. The stipend would likely require an LSAT above the 75th, which is 168 I think.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:39 pm

aspire2esquire wrote:Limited info online about the fellowship...does anybody have specific number ranges?

Being above both 75ths and having a pulse would almost guarantee it.

tealeaves12

Postby tealeaves12 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:41 pm

Last edited by tealeaves12 on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aspire2esquire

Postby aspire2esquire » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:55 pm

RareExports wrote:

Being above both 75ths and having a pulse would almost guarantee it.

Would hope so...was thinking more along the lines of less common cases

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:19 pm

OrangeBowl

Postby OrangeBowl » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:47 pm

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:55 pm

OrangeBowl wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:They're not even deans fellow or full rides, they just think they're going to be top 10% because other people "seem dumb in class"/"don't work as hard"/"are K-JD and immature" or idk because they think they're special unicorns.

I've heard "THIS guy is a deans fellow? But he's so awkward, weird, and not smart in class!" Too fucking much.

I try to talk about finding biglaw outside of OCI (since a bunch of 2L's have mentioned getting offers outside OCI), and everybody just rolls their eyes at me.

People I hate:

"I have not heard a single person say something insightful in class since the start of school."

"I hate when people don't know the answer to a cold call when it's right in the case. It's like they just don't get it."

-When somebody doesn't know the answer to prof's q, turn around and stare at them.-

Between #massexodus and the above, I can't help but feel that WUSTL has a culture problem.

See Sublime's comment above. Welcome to the profession. This is not a WashU thing. Any decent school is going to have plenty of students coming in with this type of mindset. Lawyers/ law students in general are just a pretty pretentious group.

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:14 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:They're not even deans fellow or full rides, they just think they're going to be top 10% because other people "seem dumb in class"/"don't work as hard"/"are K-JD and immature" or idk because they think they're special unicorns.

People I hate:

I haven't heard/experienced any of that, aside from cases reminding people of personal anecdotes and the top 20 undergrad thing, but without the "have you heard of it" part. I can usually tell by the way they say it that it's supposed to be a good school.

I think my section doesn't seem to care about how people do on cold calls. I could also be super oblivious, which I wouldn't rule out. Usually when Osgood or Greenfield ask someone a question I'm really glad they didn't ask me.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:19 pm

Just to be clear, I love wash u, the professors are great, the campus is great, and I'd say at least 50%-70% of the class is genuine good people. I've met plenty of modest, chill, sociable people. But there is a real number of people who think they're better than their peers because of whatever random justification they can come up with.

My theory is that they roll up to school with 40k/year to full ride in scholly and think they're hot shit or something, and are destined to perform at the top of the class. Or they came from some prestigious UG, or had a high GPA, or a high LSAT, or they were paralegals in an "actual biglaw firm", or they won their 3rd grade spelling bee or something.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:43 pm

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:57 pm

Anybody got a dentist to recommend? Need a teeth cleaning.

legit

Postby legit » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:20 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Anybody got a dentist to recommend? Need a teeth cleaning.

http://www.stlmag.com/health/top-dentis ... 2015-list/

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:27 pm

You'll see in due time who it is in your class that is an a**hole. In the meantime, just sit back, keep a low profile, and watch how everyone else responds as the pressure progressively ratchets upward during the course of the semester.

legit

Postby legit » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:27 pm

Last edited by legit on Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:42 pm

Jmart082 wrote:You'll see in due time who it is in your class that is an a**hole. In the meantime, just sit back, keep a low profile, and watch how everyone else responds as the pressure progressively ratchets upward during the course of the semester.

Its then when you learn the identities of the members of the gunner conspiracy.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:43 pm

chingwoo wrote:
Jmart082 wrote:You'll see in due time who it is in your class that is an a**hole. In the meantime, just sit back, keep a low profile, and watch how everyone else responds as the pressure progressively ratchets upward during the course of the semester.

Its then when you learn the identities of the members of the gunner conspiracy.

Hahaha, I personally love the gunner conspirators. They're the sort of people who had they been raised in a different set of circumstances, would likely have turned to crime as opposed to legal practice. I just can't wait to see what happens with this year's class once the claws come out.

lososos

Postby lososos » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:51 pm

the gunner conspiracy is real

don't let anyone tell you it isn't

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:16 pm

is it true that the gunner conspiracy transcends class years

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”