WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dietcoke0

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 am

sublime wrote:Go to whatever has free food.

This. I don't think I paid for a lunch my 1L year. Although I can never have Dominos again.

But I was off and on a few, and none really seemed worth my time, but some, like the Womens Law Caucus and OUTlaw, do some really good work.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:48 pm

Is mentorship program worth the time investment?

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:01 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Is mentorship program worth the time investment?

This is the first year for it I think, so who knows. They had us sign up for it last year, but they never got it together. Couldn't hurt though. Having relationships with upperclass students can be helpful.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:03 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:

This is the first year for it I think, so who knows. They had us sign up for it last year, but they never got it together. Couldn't hurt though. Having relationships with upperclass students can be helpful.

Pretty sure they do this every year. The only formal event for it I can remember is pizza in the courtyard. Other than that it's up to the individual mentor/mentee to do anything with it.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:11 am

hoos89 wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:

Pretty sure they do this every year. The only formal event for it I can remember is pizza in the courtyard. Other than that it's up to the individual mentor/mentee to do anything with it.

Oh ok. Well what I should have said was that I signed up to have a mentor last year and was never contacted by one, nor was anyone else that I know of.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:30 am

I know my year and 2 years ago they did it. Not positive about last year, though. Maybe they weren't able to find enough mentors for your class or something and then just didn't do it.

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:50 am

It's worth it so you have a partner for the mentor/mentee three-legged event on field day at the end of the year.

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:58 am

They definitely had it last year and it was a joke. I got paired with a mentor who (1) English was not her first language, and (2) she super hated life. I met with her once and then avoided eye contact whenever I saw her in the halls.

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:01 am

In other news, can anyone who did the Chicago Walk Around last year give some insight on timeline? I know Chicago is slower than NY, so if screeners were on Monday when can we expect callbacks? Later this week? Next week?

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:30 am

TetrisBlock wrote:

It's worth it so you have a partner for the mentor/mentee three-legged event on field day at the end of the year.

It's helpful knowing upperclassmen, even if it's just to get a sense of what a specific professor's exam will be like or to get outlines. I think the "investment" of a couple hours over the course of the semester is basically nothing.

I think it's worth doing it. Caveat: I didn't do it.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:37 am

I think it's only really "worth it" if you're not social/won't seek out 2L/3L advice anyways. You'll probably get more help from someone that you're actually friends with, and someone that actually had your professors.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:36 pm

Banshee wrote:In other news, can anyone who did the Chicago Walk Around last year give some insight on timeline? I know Chicago is slower than NY, so if screeners were on Monday when can we expect callbacks? Later this week? Next week?

The only callback I got from that last year came during the drive home. I think I only got two callbacks more than a few days out and both were from St. Louis area firms (one of which was about 6 weeks after the screener).

Outis Onoma

Postby Outis Onoma » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:25 pm

Wondering if we know yet whether the incoming 1Ls will be subjected to a "professionalism" class or seminar as fallout from last year.

You're welcome,
from last year's 3L class.

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:54 pm

Outis Onoma wrote:Wondering if we know yet whether the incoming 1Ls will be subjected to a "professionalism" class or seminar as fallout from last year.

You're welcome,

Incoming 1L here. Actual class or seminar, not from what I can see. Day 2 of orientation seems pretty oriented in that direction though. We have a "Social Media, Internet Use and Law School" talk, professionalism discussion groups, and a professionalism panel. Loads of fun...

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:12 am

Joscellin wrote:
Outis Onoma wrote:Wondering if we know yet whether the incoming 1Ls will be subjected to a "professionalism" class or seminar as fallout from last year.

You're welcome,

Incoming 1L here. Actual class or seminar, not from what I can see. Day 2 of orientation seems pretty oriented in that direction though. We have a "Social Media, Internet Use and Law School" talk, professionalism discussion groups, and a professionalism panel. Loads of fun...

lolololol

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:37 pm

Yeah there are tons of "professionalism" events in the orientation schedule.

I also read Greenfield's syllabus. Holy fucking shit is he gonna follow through on this? I'm not planning on skipping class, but I don't want to be violated in the butt for only having highlight/annotated a case instead of printed out a brief for every class.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:39 pm

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:50 pm

I find it lol that he allows you to either admit to being unprepared, or try and double down.

Banshee

Postby Banshee » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Joscellin wrote:

You're welcome,

I hope they have a section titled "Email Etiquette: When and how to use the reply all button (the answer may surprise you)"

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:10 pm

konar

Postby konar » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:39 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Yeah there are tons of "professionalism" events in the orientation schedule.

I also read Greenfield's syllabus. Holy fucking shit is he gonna follow through on this? I'm not planning on skipping class, but I don't want to be violated in the butt for only having highlight/annotated a case instead of printed out a brief for every class.

Unless he has changed his approach, he doesn't actually enforce the requirement of an actual printed out brief. He just cares if you are actually prepared and able to state the relevant facts and issue statement for every case. I sat right in front of him obviously without a printed out brief every day.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:12 pm

sublime wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:I find it lol that he allows you to either admit to being unprepared, or try and double down.

Yea, you will find that not uncommon though. A lot of profs allow you to do something like admit to being unprepared prior to class and take one absence, or if you get called on and are unprepared, you take two.

So are the "I didn't brief a single case and got A++++++" people lying bastards? Or is Greenfield the only one who says 8+ absences will drop your grade?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:36 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
sublime wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:I find it lol that he allows you to either admit to being unprepared, or try and double down.

Yea, you will find that not uncommon though. A lot of profs allow you to do something like admit to being unprepared prior to class and take one absence, or if you get called on and are unprepared, you take two.

So are the "I didn't brief a single case and got A++++++" people lying bastards? Or is Greenfield the only one who says 8+ absences will drop your grade?

Other profs don't make you have briefs at the ready, and all have different attendance policies. I book briefed (underlined/took minimal notes in the margins) for all of my classes and that was more than enough for me generally, but I also wasn't trying too hard to be prepared for class or trying to nail cold calls.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:32 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
sublime wrote:

Briefing cases helps far more with cold calls than the actual exams (and doing well on cold calls is not going to help your grade). Briefs are generally unnecessary unless the professor will actively penalize you for not doing it (Greensfelder might be the only professor with that sort of policy). The only possible exception to this might be Mandelker, since his exam is very case heavy.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:44 pm

hoos89 wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
sublime wrote:

Briefing cases helps far more with cold calls than the actual exams (and doing well on cold calls is not going to help your grade). Briefs are generally unnecessary unless the professor will actively penalize you for not doing it (Greensfelder Greenfield might be the only professor with that sort of policy). The only possible exception to this might be Mandelker, since his exam is very case heavy.

Ftfy. I see OCI season is even getting to the elders.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”