WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Banshee

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Banshee » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:22 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
No. CSO chooses which alternates get the spot as they become available. This is supposed to be what they use your bid number for, but they have discretion so they would give it to someone who bid the firm lower if they thought that person had a better shot at getting hired for whatever reason.

Is this the same for the off-campus programs?

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:53 pm

XO_MissCourtney wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:
No. CSO chooses which alternates get the spot as they become available. This is supposed to be what they use your bid number for, but they have discretion so they would give it to someone who bid the firm lower if they thought that person had a better shot at getting hired for whatever reason.

Is this the same for the off-campus programs?

I think the firm chooses everything for the off campus programs, but I'm not sure.

justkeepswimming794

Postby justkeepswimming794 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:31 pm

If you're an alternate for a screener in the off campus program (specifically, MCGC) does that mean you're an alternate just the entire day, or for a specific time? Are you just supposed to hang out in the hotel, notify someone you're there, and if theres a cancellation or a spot opens up or something they let you know? does anyone know how this works? thanks

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:21 pm

If a spot opens up during the day and you get picked, you'll get an e-mail from someone asking if you want it.

justkeepswimming794

Postby justkeepswimming794 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:28 pm

hoos89 wrote:If a spot opens up during the day and you get picked, you'll get an e-mail from someone asking if you want it.

but this happens on that actual day? so essentially, be ready at the hotel all day..? (no problem for me, just clarifying)

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:32 pm

justkeepswimming794 wrote:
hoos89 wrote:If a spot opens up during the day and you get picked, you'll get an e-mail from someone asking if you want it.

but this happens on that actual day? so essentially, be ready at the hotel all day..? (no problem for me, just clarifying)

I had a couple interviews pop up day of, yeah. One on pretty short notice that I didn't even apply for at EIW.

I would probably show up for registration and talk to the CSO people about it. I'm not going to tell you not to be there.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:59 am

Anybody have input/suggestions about Sadat (both International Law & International Criminal Law), Smith (Employment Discrimination), and Levin (Immigration Law)? Any and all thoughts and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:48 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:Anybody have input/suggestions about Sadat (both International Law & International Criminal Law), Smith (Employment Discrimination), and Levin (Immigration Law)? Any and all thoughts and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

The consensus I've gathered is that Sadat is awful, Smith is really good, and Levin is very dry. But I would defer to someone who has actually had them.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:39 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
theycallmefoes wrote:Anybody have input/suggestions about Sadat (both International Law & International Criminal Law), Smith (Employment Discrimination), and Levin (Immigration Law)? Any and all thoughts and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

The consensus I've gathered is that Sadat is awful, Smith is really good, and Levin is very dry. But I would defer to someone who has actually had them.

Levin was nightmarish, at least for Civ Pro. It was the most work of all of my classes combined, and the final exam was the hardest I've taken in law school. I wouldn't take him unless you absolutely have to.

theycallmefoes

Postby theycallmefoes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:38 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:

Hmm. Now I'm rethinking taking two courses with Sadat, especially in one semester. Do you know what about Sadat that it is that people dislike?

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:00 pm

lososos

Postby lososos » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Has anybody here taken Baker's survey of IP course? I'm deciding between taking that and taking commercial law with Keating. Curious if anyone has more input about either course

theonerd

Postby theonerd » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:51 pm

Jmart082 wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:

Levin was nightmarish, at least for Civ Pro. It was the most work of all of my classes combined, and the final exam was the hardest I've taken in law school. I wouldn't take him unless you absolutely have to.

I wouldn't call Levin "nightmarish" at all. Yes, the Civ Pro exam was quite difficult, but it was exactly what we all expected it to be--no surprises. It was a very fair test to see how much you studied. His grading was very fair too--I made a couple big mistakes, but I wasn't overly punished in the grading. The reading load for any Civ Pro class is always going to feel burdensome, so that is not specific to Levin.

I would advise someone to take Levin's Administrative Law class in a heartbeat; however, that doesn't mean I would advise someone to take him for Immigration Law.

To my knowledge, Levin has never taught Immigration Law. If they are going to hire someone with experience to teach Immigration Law to take Legomsky's place, then wait to take it with that professor. I don't know if they will hire anyone or not.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:17 pm

Are there any out-of-the-way chill, comfortable, sparsely populated areas on campus to set up camp and study/read? Like a basement, or some corner of some building with very little through-traffic.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:27 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Are there any out-of-the-way chill, comfortable, sparsely populated areas on campus to set up camp and study/read? Like a basement, or some corner of some building with very little through-traffic.

You sound like a perfect new addition to the dungeon.

Ref

Postby Ref » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:43 am

lososos wrote:Has anybody here taken Baker's survey of IP course? I'm deciding between taking that and taking commercial law with Keating. Curious if anyone has more input about either course

Took both. Baker focuses mainly on patents, which is his area of interest, but, honestly, Keating's Commercial Law class is just packed with useful information. Keating, as a professor, is in his own caliber. Both are good classes though.

ForgotMyPassword

Postby ForgotMyPassword » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:13 am

lososos wrote:Has anybody here taken Baker's survey of IP course? I'm deciding between taking that and taking commercial law with Keating. Curious if anyone has more input about either course

From what I've heard from the elders, if you want to do IP law then you're far better off just taking patents or a drafting course. If you're just interested in general, go for it.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:26 am

I've heard not great things about survey of IP.

lososos

Postby lososos » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:22 pm

Thanks for the input! I'll probably take Commercial this fall, and maybe consider Survey of IP for fall 16

Edit: hoos, can you elaborate on those not great things?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:33 pm

Just generic criticisms of Baker and the class being kind of disorganized (although to be fair that was the first year he taught it). I can't remember any specifics but they would always complain about it in our journal room before class.

lososos

Postby lososos » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:48 pm

hoos89 wrote:Just generic criticisms of Baker and the class being kind of disorganized (although to be fair that was the first year he taught it). I can't remember any specifics but they would always complain about it in our journal room before class.

Oh okay I gotcha. Maybe the experience would be different now that he has taught it a few times

konar

Postby konar » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:18 am

lososos wrote:Thanks for the input! I'll probably take Commercial this fall, and maybe consider Survey of IP for fall 16

Edit: hoos, can you elaborate on those not great things?

Just a heads up that the Commercial law exam is entirely multiple choice and one of the more difficult exams at the school. Also, Keating teaches at a somewhat quicker pace than most professors at the law school(which is a good thing imo). Basically, he'll lecture the basic law fairly quickly at the beginning of class and then dive straight into assigned problems.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:35 pm

Just checked out some of the student orgs available and a lot sound pretty cool, but I obviously wouldn't have time for all of them. Most likely going to check out the China Law Society, but does anybody else have things to say about the other groups? Feel free to PM if you don't want to state it publicly.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:38 pm

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:09 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Just checked out some of the student orgs available and a lot sound pretty cool, but I obviously wouldn't have time for all of them. Most likely going to check out the China Law Society, but does anybody else have things to say about the other groups? Feel free to PM if you don't want to state it publicly.

Federalists have that Koch Bros. money, spring for Chipotle sometimes.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”