WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chuckbass

Platinum

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by chuckbass » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:42 pm

sublime wrote:I liked the class. And while it was more work than most classes, and certainly the densest class I have had, I didn't think it was that bad work wise. Especially since you get up to twenty unprepareds out of like 30 classes. Keating is phenomenal, and I don't know that I agree about the questions out of the textbook thing, but I could be mistaken. You learn some semi life useful shit, but if I knew that I was going litigation, I probably would not have taken it.
Lol aren't you probably going into lit now?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:44 pm

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:48 pm

sublime wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
sublime wrote:I liked the class. And while it was more work than most classes, and certainly the densest class I have had, I didn't think it was that bad work wise. Especially since you get up to twenty unprepareds out of like 30 classes. Keating is phenomenal, and I don't know that I agree about the questions out of the textbook thing, but I could be mistaken. You learn some semi life useful shit, but if I knew that I was going litigation, I probably would not have taken it.

Yea, that's what I meant to say. If at that time I knew that in advance, I probably would not have taken it.
Meh, maybe you would have done worse in whatever other class you took :wink:

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:04 pm

sublime wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

Yea, that's what I meant to say. If at that time I knew that in advance, I probably would not have taken it.
Thanks for the assist. I'll take Criminal Procedure or Legal Professions, instead.

lososos

New

Post by lososos » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:50 pm

3Ls and grads: any course recommendations in general? classes you've really liked, found helpful, etc?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:42 pm

lososos wrote:3Ls and grads: any course recommendations in general? classes you've really liked, found helpful, etc?
Anything with Drobak is good. I really enjoyed Antitrust with him. Also Corporations with Badawi.

My general recommendation is to try to keep exams to three or fewer per semester and to try to get at least 3 P/F or CR/NC credits per semester. Trial and Pretrial are good, do at least one clinic/externship while you're here, and try to take at least one weekend course per semester.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:48 pm

Outis Onoma wrote:WTF are these kids going to do? I can't imagine they would be hired with a big F on their transcript, and having to explain that they cheated. Pretty severe consequences.
I mean a 2.5 is a C+. Should be straight.

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:14 pm

lososos wrote:3Ls and grads: any course recommendations in general? classes you've really liked, found helpful, etc?
If you have even a passing interest in real estate law take real estate transactions with Walsh. It's not terribly interesting, but the workload is light and it is 3 credits for a class that has an all multiple choice exam that takes about 45 minutes to a hour, it will do wonders for the amount of time you can put into your other finals.

Outis Onoma

Bronze

Post by Outis Onoma » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:20 am

Cellar-door wrote:
If you have even a passing interest in real estate law take real estate transactions with Walsh. It's not terribly interesting, but the workload is light and it is 3 credits for a class that has an all multiple choice exam that takes about 45 minutes to a hour, it will do wonders for the amount of time you can put into your other finals.
+1

The exam is also based entirely on her lectures / slides.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:17 pm

RareExports wrote:Do many people live downtown? I've heard CWE is the social hub for students, but I imagine it's still possible to maintain a social life living downtown, right?
So you might already have a place by now, I haven't been around on the forum much recently, but I live downtown and can give you some insight. It isn't any more dangerous than CWE really if you don't stray too far north, and you're probably much less likely to have your car broken into if you have one since most buildings have secured parking. That said, you have to go in knowing that outside of restaurants, bars, office buildings and the stadiums there isn't a lot down here, and most Wash U students don't live down here so you will probably end up going to the CWE and Loop a lot to meet up with people, and it is a bit of a drive (or 20-25min on Metro) to campus every day. Also if you need to go shopping anywhere that isn't the supermarket/pharmacy you need to go a ways. The advantages are: less students, a different type of apartment (mostly loft style with big buildings), pretty solidly metro accessible and you do tend to get a lot for your money.

On the whole, unless you really want to live downtown the negatives probably outweigh the positives. You can be social downtown, but it won't be with WASHU people, it will be some SLU Law people and young professionals mostly.

hiimtroymcclure

New

Post by hiimtroymcclure » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:51 am

Top 25, on law review, and diverse. Complete wash for everything that came out so far, including my home city. Any advice?

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:15 am

hiimtroymcclure wrote:Top 25, on law review, and diverse. Complete wash for everything that came out so far, including my home city. Any advice?
Mass Mail starting today. Sounds like it's going to be rough for this years class.

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:26 am

WanderingPondering wrote:
hiimtroymcclure wrote:Top 25, on law review, and diverse. Complete wash for everything that came out so far, including my home city. Any advice?
Mass Mail starting today. Sounds like it's going to be rough for this years class.
Also remember when you are mass mailing. You are a 3.75 with LR mass-mailing, not a top 25% with law review mass mailing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:05 am

Agree with the mass mailing obviously, but have you had some people that know what they are doing (read: not K-JD, not CSO) look over your cover letter and resume? With your stats, you should be getting some screeners for sure, even though it is looking bleak for our class.

chingwoo

Bronze

Post by chingwoo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:11 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:
Agree with the mass mailing obviously, but have you had some people that know what they are doing (read: not K-JD, not CSO) look over your cover letter and resume? With your stats, you should be getting some screeners for sure, even though it is looking bleak for our class.
Historically aren't those borderline stats for getting one or two screeners at MCGC beyond good softs? Remember we are up against UCLA/USC/Minnesota/Iowa/Georgia in addition to ourselves for less than 20 bid-slots per employer.

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:16 am

chingwoo wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:
Historically aren't those borderline stats for getting one or two screeners at MCGC beyond good softs? Remember we are up against UCLA/USC/Minnesota/Iowa/Georgia in addition to ourselves for less than 20 bid-slots per employer.
I don't know, you're probably right. But I know people that got several screeners yesterday with similar or slightly worse stats.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:28 am

Top 25% is very borderline for the off campus programs. Also anyone who is diverse should be doing as many diversity programs as possible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

justkeepswimming794

New

Post by justkeepswimming794 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:50 pm

So as par TLS advice, I sent my resume/CL/transcript via symplicity to the same firm twice if they were repeated in each of the two consortiums. Now, I have a pre-select screener I've accepted for the firm on 7/31 and just got an email from the other consortium saying I have a pre-select screener (option- haven't accepted it yet) on 8/3. It's the same firm, pretty sure the same hotel. I'd like to meet as many people as possible at this firm given my stats are borderline and I interview well, but I also don't want to be a tool and take someone else's spot/ chance for a screener, especially if it's going to be the same attorneys. What's tcr for how to handle this? :/

Banshee

Bronze

Post by Banshee » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:09 pm

justkeepswimming794 wrote:So as par TLS advice, I sent my resume/CL/transcript via symplicity to the same firm twice if they were repeated in each of the two consortiums. Now, I have a pre-select screener I've accepted for the firm on 7/31 and just got an email from the other consortium saying I have a pre-select screener (option- haven't accepted it yet) on 8/3. It's the same firm, pretty sure the same hotel. I'd like to meet as many people as possible at this firm given my stats are borderline and I interview well, but I also don't want to be a tool and take someone else's spot/ chance for a screener, especially if it's going to be the same attorneys. What's tcr for how to handle this? :/
I actually asked CSO about this awhile ago. Usually firms will catch if you apply twice and will only pick you once, but obviously that didn't happen this time. I think you can either reach out to the firm directly or you can reach out to Angie in CSO and tell her you were pre-selected for both. More than likely, the firm only wants to interview you once and will drop one of them. If one day works better for you, let them know.

hiimtroymcclure

New

Post by hiimtroymcclure » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:32 pm

What does it mean to be an alternate?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:35 pm

hiimtroymcclure wrote:What does it mean to be an alternate?
It means that you were not selected for an interview, but you might be selected if someone else turns down their interview.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WheatThins

Bronze

Post by WheatThins » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:43 am

I wonder if the school has convinced anyone to sign up for the "LLM in Negotiation" thing. Just pay an extra semester's tuition! At a 40% discount!

What a joke.

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:26 pm

WheatThins wrote:I wonder if the school has convinced anyone to sign up for the "LLM in Negotiation" thing. Just pay an extra semester's tuition! At a 40% discount!

What a joke.
It's not even like that coursework is distinct from a JD, so someone with an interest in negotiation could take all those courses and then not get the LLM b/c they didn't put up and extra ~$10K. Actually, I'm pretty sure this happens every year.

Banshee

Bronze

Post by Banshee » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:39 pm

hoos89 wrote:
It means that you were not selected for an interview, but you might be selected if someone else turns down their interview.

How many alternates are there for each firm, typically?

Are alternates ranked by the firm and invited to interview in order if a pre-select chooses not to interview?

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:52 pm

XO_MissCourtney wrote:
hoos89 wrote:

How many alternates are there for each firm, typically?

Are alternates ranked by the firm and invited to interview in order if a pre-select chooses not to interview?
Typically 4 alternates per firm.

No. CSO chooses which alternates get the spot as they become available. This is supposed to be what they use your bid number for, but they have discretion so they would give it to someone who bid the firm lower if they thought that person had a better shot at getting hired for whatever reason.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”