WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chuckbass

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby chuckbass » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:13 pm

hoos89 wrote:That's how it always is. Also the NYC list will be on two separate simplicity websites (SEMW and Midwest-Cali).

Well, good luck to my class (I'm leaving/not doing OCI, just still had access to the list)

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:43 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
hoos89 wrote:That's how it always is. Also the NYC list will be on two separate simplicity websites (SEMW and Midwest-Cali).

Well, good luck to my class (I'm leaving/not doing OCI, just still had access to the list)

Yeah the bidlist is actually out since like June 1st or something.

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:54 pm

I missed the housing day because I was at a wedding this weekend, but I'm going to finally try to get an apartment this week or next. When looking at CWE, are there areas I should not be looking because they're sketchy? Or is it fine all the way east to vandeventer and north to delmar? There are a lot of apartments on olive and westminster for instance, but I'm not sure what the area is like, since when I visited I mostly walked around lindell and maryland.

Looking for an apartment sucks because every time I look up an apartment company the reviews are awful.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:58 pm

TetrisBlock wrote:I missed the housing day because I was at a wedding this weekend, but I'm going to finally try to get an apartment this week or next. When looking at CWE, are there areas I should not be looking because they're sketchy? Or is it fine all the way east to vandeventer and north to delmar? There are a lot of apartments on olive and westminster for instance, but I'm not sure what the area is like, since when I visited I mostly walked around lindell and maryland.

Looking for an apartment sucks because every time I look up an apartment company the reviews are awful.

Well, for one any apartment place in the area will list something as being in the CWE, but a lot of that stuff will be farther than you'd actually want to walk. I lived very central, like Euclid and Lindell, and if you plan on walking I wouldn't want to live too much further.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:33 pm

Is resume collection exactly what it sounds like it is? There's just a bin or something when you drop off a copy of your resume and that's it?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:46 pm

RareExports wrote:Is resume collection exactly what it sounds like it is? There's just a bin or something when you drop off a copy of your resume and that's it?

Yeah from my understanding you drop your resume off, but there aren't people there to conduct interviews but someone that has gone through it can correct me if I'm wrong. Still better than mass mailing since the firms are targeting WUSTL students, but not as good as actually having interviewers at OCI.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:48 pm

The CSO collects all the applications through Symplicity and then sends them directly to the firm all at one time. The firm may or may not contact people for interviews after that (sometimes they'll bring you straight in for a full interview and essentially skip the screener). I think I only got one screener that way, but if you do get selected for it you know they're interested. Not quite a black hole (which I'm convinced all those online applications firms send you to are), but I actually had better luck with mass-mail.

lososos

Postby lososos » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:48 pm

hoos89 wrote:The CSO collects all the applications through Symplicity and then sends them directly to the firm all at one time. The firm may or may not contact people for interviews after that (sometimes they'll bring you straight in for a full interview and essentially skip the screener). I think I only got one screener that way, but if you do get selected for it you know they're interested. Not quite a black hole (which I'm convinced all those online applications firms send you to are), but I actually had better luck with mass-mail.

do you have any mass mail advice in general? or coming from wustl? or is it really just the typical tls wisdom, mass-blast, everything to every firm kind of deal?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:43 pm

Honestly I'm not sure I'd say just apply everywhere. I used to be of that mindset but after going through some interviews and even callbacks in places I had no ties or any real reason to be was tough. Seriously every interviewer will grill you on your reason for going to that city and even if you think you've come up with a good answer, they will be highly skeptical if you don't have some legit ties in a lot of secondary markets. That's a lot of time and energy that could be spent contacting alumni or tailoring cover letters for markets where you have a better chance.

Start working on a mass-mail spreadsheet of every firm you can find in every market you think you can sell yourself. Maybe a few major markets where you don't have ties, but don't just apply to Tampa or whatever if you've never even been there before. I'd say start sending e-mails out by the 2nd full week of July, earlier if possible. Even if the website says to apply online, still send an application to the NALP contact (online apps are a major time sink, and they seem like kind of a black hole where applications go to die). Keep track of responses and follow up every 2-3 weeks with every firm that hasn't outright rejected you (preferably have something to update them with, even if fairly minor).

Also, start contacting alumni at firms in your top choice market(s). Just send an e-mail to their firm address with your resume attached; say you've applied to the firm (assuming you have) and ask if they wouldn't mind talking to you about it for a few minutes over the phone (if you're going to be in the area say that and ask to get coffee). Don't be pushy about it; don't just come out and ask for an interview or anything like that. They know what you're doing, and a lot of them are happy to help if they can. If they don't want to help, they won't respond: no big deal (although some may just want to chat, which is fine too).

If you want to discuss more feel free to pm me.

TetrisBlock

Postby TetrisBlock » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:25 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
TetrisBlock wrote:I missed the housing day because I was at a wedding this weekend, but I'm going to finally try to get an apartment this week or next. When looking at CWE, are there areas I should not be looking because they're sketchy? Or is it fine all the way east to vandeventer and north to delmar? There are a lot of apartments on olive and westminster for instance, but I'm not sure what the area is like, since when I visited I mostly walked around lindell and maryland.

Well, for one any apartment place in the area will list something as being in the CWE, but a lot of that stuff will be farther than you'd actually want to walk. I lived very central, like Euclid and Lindell, and if you plan on walking I wouldn't want to live too much further.

Thanks that helps quite a bit. I wasn't really sure what would be considered central in CWE.

ek5dn

Postby ek5dn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:29 am

scottidsntknow wrote:Perfect. WUSTL gives us $2,000 for books, so we can definitely save a bit even if we buy everything new.

I'm reviving a very old post here, but by WUSTL gives $2000 for books, do you mean budget-wise or grant? or what? Thanks :)

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:04 am

ek5dn wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Perfect. WUSTL gives us $2,000 for books, so we can definitely save a bit even if we buy everything new.

I'm reviving a very old post here, but by WUSTL gives $2000 for books, do you mean budget-wise or grant? or what? Thanks :)

Budget

http://apply.law.wustl.edu/tuition-and-deposits

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:11 am

ek5dn wrote:

Shit this is old.

hiimtroymcclure

Postby hiimtroymcclure » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:06 pm

If you're diverse how do you bring it up in apps outside of a diversity fair?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:16 pm

hiimtroymcclure wrote:If you're diverse how do you bring it up in apps outside of a diversity fair?

Club memberships or bar associations (for instance as LGBT I have Outlaw, and then have my membership to the National LGBT Bar Association).

You can also add like one sentence to cover letters saying how your diversity contributes to XYZ skill or something when you're talking yourself up.

bluedolphin

Postby bluedolphin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:05 am

The notre dame thread had a posting where the classes of 2014, 2015, and 2016 had gone/are going/are summering.

Do we have a similar list?

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:33 am

bluedolphin wrote:The notre dame thread had a posting where the classes of 2014, 2015, and 2016 had gone/are going/are summering.

You can probably ask CSO for it.

bluedolphin

Postby bluedolphin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:12 pm

WheatThins wrote:
bluedolphin wrote:The notre dame thread had a posting where the classes of 2014, 2015, and 2016 had gone/are going/are summering.

Anyone at least know the Chicago placements?

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:37 pm

Completely unrelated to OCI, but what is the consensus on Keating's Commercial Law class from people who've taken it?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:38 pm

Jmart082 wrote:Completely unrelated to OCI, but what is the consensus on Keating's Commercial Law class from people who've taken it?

I think it's a completely multiple choice exam fwiw.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:41 pm

Jmart082 wrote:Completely unrelated to OCI, but what is the consensus on Keating's Commercial Law class from people who've taken it?

I've talked to people who liked it, and people who really hated it. Hth.

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:57 pm

bluedolphin wrote:
WheatThins wrote:

Anyone at least know the Chicago placements?

You need really good grades to have any sort of shot at a firm in Chicago. Sidley and Chapman Cutler are two firms that come to mind - but obviously every Chicago firm is in play if you have the resume.

Jmart082

Postby Jmart082 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:02 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:

I've talked to people who liked it, and people who really hated it. Hth.

OK, probably dropping that, then. I just really want to avoid anybody remotely comparable to Greenfield. It was a horrible experience.

Outis Onoma

Postby Outis Onoma » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:38 pm

Keating is really good, but his commercial law class probably took the most work out of any class I had. It's a problem set based class, and he tells you that his multiple choice exam is based entirely on his lecture notes. But there were definitely a handful of MC questions on his exam that could only be answered if you studied from the textbook.

Edit: on the other hand, someone told me that to study for the exam, they went through the problem sets twice, and did really well.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:41 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”