WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
KMart

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby KMart » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:56 pm

hoos89 wrote:I'm not sure there's any market that can be cracked "easily enough" from WUSTL, but Chicago is tough from just about anywhere. It's a tight market with 2 T14 schools already there.

Absolutely true. I was just wondering if most students who want Chicago end up getting Chicago or if they end up going to one of the other options WUSTL opens for them.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:27 pm

KMart wrote:
hoos89 wrote:I'm not sure there's any market that can be cracked "easily enough" from WUSTL, but Chicago is tough from just about anywhere. It's a tight market with 2 T14 schools already there.

Absolutely true. I was just wondering if most students who want Chicago end up getting Chicago or if they end up going to one of the other options WUSTL opens for them.

Are you strictly talking biglaw? If so, not to beat a dead horse, but it's heavily grade dependent. If the grades are there, and you have ties, you will get Chicago screeners. If your grades aren't there, then ties won't help much. The ties will help, but to echo what Hoos said, besides DC, Chicago is generally regarded as the toughest market to crack.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:29 pm

If I can secure a sizable scholarship and graduate debt-free, should I buy a car? If so, how much should I budget for said car? I'm really wavering here.

Obviously it's going to be used, but I'd like to keep the mileage and maintenance costs low. Don't want to buy a 5k car, then spend 3k on repairs within a year.

I want a stick shift 4-door, preferably RWD but I'm being realistic. Good gas mileage, pretty looks. Decent interior...

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:40 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:If I can secure a sizable scholarship and graduate debt-free, should I buy a car? If so, how much should I budget for said car? I'm really wavering here.

Obviously it's going to be used, but I'd like to keep the mileage and maintenance costs low. Don't want to buy a 5k car, then spend 3k on repairs within a year.

I want a stick shift 4-door, preferably RWD but I'm being realistic. Good gas mileage, pretty looks. Decent interior...

You talking for law school in STL? I'd say a small loan amount towards a car is acceptable but the used car market can be tough on in betweeners like you (and I). Any brands that are a no go? Any of those preferences above most or least important?

In general it would be best to avoid having a car for at least 1L because you'll have no income and straight up loans, whereas during 2L you might get a job or something crazy like that. 1L has the most free rides available because you'll all have a similar or same schedule.

Keep in mind that at least for WUSTL, there is a car share program for students as well.
Last edited by Fiero85 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:42 pm

stick and 4-door are the only non-negotiables.

I want to stay away from known shitty brands like KIA or Fiat, rest are cool. Very comfortable with Japanese imports, but I'm aware American is easiest to maintain.

I might spend a bit more for a prettier car if it's reasonable. I'd be financing by borrowing from parents, at 0% interest, so that's ok I guess. Would 10k be too much to spend on a car? I spotted a nice 2010 Mazda 3 for 7.5k (will definitely be gone by the time I'm there).

I wouldn't be against road tripping my car to my new destination if it's reasonable and/or the car lasts that long.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:45 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:stick and 4-door are the only non-negotiables.

I want to stay away from known shitty brands like KIA or Fiat, rest are cool. Very comfortable with Japanese imports, but I'm aware American is easiest to maintain.

I might spend a bit more for a prettier car if it's reasonable. I'd be financing by borrowing from parents, at 0% interest, so that's ok I guess. Would 10k be too much to spend on a car? I spotted a nice Mazda for 7.5k (will definitely be gone by the time I'm there).

I wouldn't be against road tripping my car to my new destination if it's reasonable and/or the car lasts that long.

As the resident carless WUSTL student: GET A CAR.

Also seriously just get a civic, I've had one for 7 years and had zero problems, honda makes reliable and simple cars.

(I realize this must be confusing, but I have a car, I just didn't bring it here)

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:48 pm

Sorry I edited after your reply, so check out the above if you like.

And yeah I think that's a reasonable goal (10k). Especially once you drop the RWD sedan combo, there's a lot more cars that meet your general idea.

A peer of the car you mentioned would be a fine choice.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:51 pm

P.s. 0% loan is very nice, not "ok I guess" in my mind haha

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:52 pm

yeah I was being facetious lol

Also, what is the standard for payment when buying from privates? Is it go to a bank and notarize along with confirmation of payment, or is it hand-a-wad-of-cash and say you "gifted" the car to avoid taxes? I'm not savvy when it comes to buying cars from privately.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:12 pm

I might spend a bit more for a prettier car if it's reasonable. I'd be financing by borrowing from parents, at 0% interest, so that's ok I guess. Would 10k be too much to spend on a car? I spotted a nice 2010 Mazda 3 for 7.5k (will definitely be gone by the time I'm there).

What are you talking about? Japanese cars tend to be absurdly reliable and cheap to maintain. You might want to reconsider your evaluation of Kia as well. I think they've gotten better than they used to be (sort of like how Japanese cars used to be crap). I admittedly haven't looked into this in depth, but they're owned by the same company as Hyundai, which makes very reliable cars (in recent years, at least).

Nobody can tell you how much is okay to spend on a car. That's entirely a personal decision.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:14 pm

I meant american car parts are cheaper to get. For some older model Japanese cars, the parts can get expensive. Hyundai and KIA used to be terrible but it's true, they're better now. They're both Korean, I believe (Hyundai is for sure). I'm still very apprehensive about KIA.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Seriously just get a Honda or Toyota, american cars end up being more expensive to maintain/less reliable.

But also just get a vehicle generally. I've managed alright, but like fiero said it's been really helpful that so many of my friends are on similar schedules as me b/c 1L year. I definitely kind of have to mooch on people for rides, i.e. I regularly refer to one of my friends as my Uber driver.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:28 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:I meant american car parts are cheaper to get. For some older model Japanese cars, the parts can get expensive. Hyundai and KIA used to be terrible but it's true, they're better now. They're both Korean, I believe (Hyundai is for sure). I'm still very apprehensive about KIA.

Hyundai/Kia are the same company (and are Korean). I have a 2011 Hyundai and it's great, but if you're looking at older models than that I'd be a bit apprehensive as well. The parts might be cheaper (I don't really know), but you'll probably end up spending more in the long run because Japanese cars seldom need repairs.

valen

Postby valen » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:57 am

hoos89 wrote:

What are you talking about? Japanese cars tend to be absurdly reliable and cheap to maintain. You might want to reconsider your evaluation of Kia as well. I think they've gotten better than they used to be (sort of like how Japanese cars used to be crap). I admittedly haven't looked into this in depth, but they're owned by the same company as Hyundai, which makes very reliable cars (in recent years, at least).

Nobody can tell you how much is okay to spend on a car. That's entirely a personal decision.

+1 for KIA. I drive a Mazda now but I used to have a KIA and loved it. Granted that's just anecdotal, but still, I think KIA's bad rep is pretty unjustified.

MagicMike80

Postby MagicMike80 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:33 am

Any tips for Kim's Civ Pro exam? I don't find the material particularly difficult, but I'm slightly worried about not having an outline - we're only permitted one page of notes (plus the FRCP book).

Also, for those of you who had Osgood, is there any correlation between the grade you received on the paper and your grade on the final?

You can get everything for Kim's exam you need and more onto the front-and-back of one sheet if you do it in 8-pt font. Main bit of advice would be read the exam slower than you normally would. Although she breaks the big hypo questions out into short answers, and telegraphs very clearly what issue maps to what portion of the fact pattern, she also hides things [think secondary concerns like joinder, long arm statutes].

Also that whole thing about Asahi and the commerce doctrine. Have like a whole page locked a loaded for that.

As near as anyone can tell from the past two years, Osgood papers are for your own edification.

RareExports

Postby RareExports » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:15 pm

Haven't flipped through all 200+ pages so perhaps this has been answered before--does St. Louis have a gang problem? I realize that all major cities do, but I observed a lot of what I perceived to be gang activity this past weekend, and not too far from campus.

futago

Postby futago » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:29 pm

6778628 wrote:Haven't flipped through all 200+ pages so perhaps this has been answered before--does St. Louis have a gang problem? I realize that all major cities do, but I observed a lot of what I perceived to be gang activity this past weekend, and not too far from campus.

I'm not sure about a gang problem, but it has a crime problem in some areas. That being said, I have never felt unsafe in St. Louis. The Metro can get a bit sketchy at times, but I wouldn't say I have ever felt unsafe on it.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:07 pm

6778628 wrote:Haven't flipped through all 200+ pages so perhaps this has been answered before--does St. Louis have a gang problem? I realize that all major cities do, but I observed a lot of what I perceived to be gang activity this past weekend, and not too far from campus.

I think you kind of answered your own question. All cities have bad areas that you want to avoid. Luckily, the areas to avoid here are areas you would never really have any reason to have to go to anyway. The general St. Louis rule of thumb in to stay south of Delmar. Everything south of Delmar is pretty nice, imo.

fwiw, I checked the crime statistics for the particular municipality that I live in, and the crime numbers there are very low.

snow24

Postby snow24 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:59 pm

Any 2Ls and 3Ls wanna chime in on classes to register for next year? Literally no idea what classes I should take or what professors are recommended. Is there a ratemyprofessor type thing around?

Thanks

disco_stu

Postby disco_stu » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:46 pm

The standard advice to stay south of Delmar is pretty good, but there is drug violence elsewhere, I assume between gang members. There have been several rolling gun battles in downtown St. Louis, and recently one on the I-64 interstate across from forest park (so fairly close to campus). There are also the standard assaults on the metro. I have never felt unsafe while here, but I'm also glad to be leaving.

Bubbles1012

Postby Bubbles1012 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:57 pm

I just received a full tuition scholarship and was wondering where most grads end up. The two parts of the country I have significant ties to are NY and New Orleans. I do not want to work or live in NY but I would love to get back to NOLA should I leave for law school. Ideal situation would be one of the big law firms (for Nola, there are no big law firms there by the traditional definition really). I would go Tulane given my goals but they have not given me as much money as WUSTL. Currently in the process of seeing if they will come up. Anyway, Is what I want even possible coming from WUSTL?

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:39 am

disco_stu

Postby disco_stu » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:04 am

sublime wrote:
disco_stu wrote:

The standard advice to stay south of Delmar is pretty good, but there is drug violence elsewhere, I assume between gang members. There have been several rolling gun battles in downtown St. Louis, and recently one on the I-64 interstate across from forest park (so fairly close to campus). There are also the standard assaults on the metro. I have never felt unsafe while here, but I'm also glad to be leaving.

"Perceived to be gang activity"

No disrespect, but it isn't bad at all. I have done a lot of shit North and South of Delmar and have never felt uncomfortable. I have been chill with everybody and they have been cool with me. Also, I don't have a car so I walk most places. It really isn't as bad as perceived. There is a divide between black and white here, but nobody is robbing me solely because I am white and I have a ton of (non-LS) black friends in the area. It really isn't that bad.

First, if you're assuming my post made any racial references, that is pretty offensive. Everyone in this thread makes the same statements I made- live south of Delmar.

Second, when two groups of people shoot at each other, and drugs are recovered from their vehicles, it's not safe to assume it's gang activity?

None of this affects campus life, but it's inaccurate to tell '6778628' that violence in St. Louis is limited to North St. Louis.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:27 am

disco_stu wrote:
sublime wrote:
disco_stu wrote:

"Perceived to be gang activity"

No disrespect, but it isn't bad at all. I have done a lot of shit North and South of Delmar and have never felt uncomfortable. I have been chill with everybody and they have been cool with me. Also, I don't have a car so I walk most places. It really isn't as bad as perceived. There is a divide between black and white here, but nobody is robbing me solely because I am white and I have a ton of (non-LS) black friends in the area. It really isn't that bad.

First, if you're assuming my post made any racial references, that is pretty offensive. Everyone in this thread makes the same statements I made- live south of Delmar.

Second, when two groups of people shoot at each other, and drugs are recovered from their vehicles, it's not safe to assume it's gang activity?

None of this affects campus life, but it's inaccurate to tell '6778628' that violence in St. Louis is limited to North St. Louis.

Lol. The only possibly offensive thing said was your "I assume between gang members" comment. That has racial overtones no matter how you spin it. Also, no one said there is no crime south of Delmar, only that is generally safer. There is nowhere in any city where you can be completely assured nothing will happen to you.

It's not a big deal. He was just presenting his view. No need to get up in arms.

PourMeTea

Postby PourMeTea » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:09 pm

theycallmefoes wrote:
PourMeTea wrote:does anyone who had lapierre have words of wisdom for his exam? i'm preparing form paragraphs and am overwhelmed and structurally confused by the sheer amount of cases he continuously alludes to

I'd also really appreciate advice for LaPierre's Con Law exam. I thought I had a pretty good handle on the material, but his PT gives me anxiety attacks.

Also, if anyone who did well in LaPierre's class has an outline they'd be willing to share, I will give you my first-born be eternally grateful. PAD doesn't have any outlines for LaPierre, and not having a solid outline to compare mine against is stressing me out.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”