WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chuckbass

Platinum

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Post by chuckbass » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:14 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:If the reference to applauding a possible no offer is referring to me, reread the last page. I'm not rooting for that outcome even a little bit, I just know that people in this situation get crucified as often as not.

On a side note, I discussed this with my (gay) sister, and she found the email in question offensive as hell.
Hence the outrage. Glad you're onboard.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:27 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:If the reference to applauding a possible no offer is referring to me, reread the last page. I'm not rooting for that outcome even a little bit, I just know that people in this situation get crucified as often as not.

On a side note, I discussed this with my (gay) sister, and she found the email in question offensive as hell.

#ignance Image

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:28 pm

I didnt say it wasn't offensive the way it was presented.

If you knew her though, you might think differently of her and her intentions. her apology email was hastily written. Her best friend and brother is gay I beelieve and that is likely who her email was supposed to be going to. 100% positively know she is one of the biggest LGBT allies there is.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:02 am

Again has nothing to do with how she actually feels.

For instance, when I first saw it, I went oh shit but didn't find it super offensive. However the more people focused on it, the more I realized how offended I was. The easiest way to explain it is that she never would have described him as (white) or (male) or (straight). As a gay person, seeing something like this is just a reminder that you are the "other," and I think a lot of the time we forget how bad things still are, and this can just be a slap in the face. It is absolutely abhorrent and this is coming from someone who was openly gay at a Christian school and has had to put up with a lot.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:54 pm

^^ I really do appreciate your courage scotti. It takes a great amount of character to make such a conscious decision.
---------
This incident and the incident that happened to some 1Ls last semester are disconcerting. I almost don't want to come to ASW, and thought about canceling my flight. Is this sort of thing that happens regularly, or is it an isolated occurrence?

eta: Speaking from the perspective of a person who is not aware of the content of the email that was sent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:02 pm

I'm not sure why a one-off reply-all would dissuade you from coming here. (You also might want to check ATL for the content)

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:02 pm

LawsRUs wrote:^^ I really do appreciate your courage scotti. It takes a great amount of character to make such a conscious decision.
---------
This incident and the incident that happened to some 1Ls last semester are disconcerting. I almost don't want to come to ASW, and thought about canceling my flight. Is this sort of thing that happens regularly, or is it an isolated occurrence?

eta: Speaking from the perspective of a person who is not aware of the content of the email that was sent.
I mean I don't see how any of this would affect your decision. The email in question was a dumb email from a current student, and could have happened at any school. The problems with a couple 1L exams also could have happened at any school as well.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:09 pm

great thanks both. I'll check ATL, I didn't know I could find it there

eta: o shit i just read it

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:27 pm

I'm not sure I'm allowed to change topics..

Re: Law school / university funded positions
Do people generally take these positions because they can't land a job, or are they generally using them to wait on bar results?

Thanks!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:29 pm

The former.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:02 pm

Would you mind taking some more questions?

(1) Jobs, Jobs, Jobs
(i) Do you have a summer job lined up? Paid or unpaid? What kind of work? How did you find it?
(ii) For 3Ls: Do you have a job lined up at graduation? How did you find that job? OCI, Simplicity, errday you’re hustlin’*, etc
(iii) Have you participated in any of the off-campus OCIs? How are they? Is there a grade cut-off to participate in off-campus OCIs?

(2) Clinics
(i) How easy or difficult to get your first choice clinic? Have you participated in a clinic? Did you like your experience?
(i) Semester in Practice Externship: Any anecdotes? Do people actually do this?
(ii) Have you participated in the DC or NYC externship program? Is it competitive to participate in them?

(3) And Grades
(i) What is the GPA that 1L doctrinals are curved to?
(ii) Are seminars curved? If yes, what is the GPA that they are curved to?

Phew, that was a mouth-full. Any feedback or response would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

*Credit to romo, I believe

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:06 pm

Also, was the issue with 1L exams ever resolved by the administration? (That was really troubling.)

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:09 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:10 pm

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:47 am

Wow!: Thanks so much for the info, and congrats on your SA-NYC line up!! XD

How many hours a day would you guys say you study 1L/2L/3L? Did you have time to sleep in your 1L? Was 1L miserable?

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:46 am

LawsRUs wrote:Wow!: Thanks so much for the info, and congrats on your SA-NYC line up!! XD

How many hours a day would you guys say you study 1L/2L/3L? Did you have time to sleep in your 1L? Was 1L miserable?
How often you study is really up to you. 1L is the time that really matters and will be the time you are the most stressed and do the most (school) work. You don't really "study" for the first few months of each semester, so how much time really depends on how uch time you decided to devote to reading the cases. I generally read ~45-60 minutes per hour of doctrinal class time (that varies by professor). That means about 8-12 hours per week of reading. Plus a few hours extra of work around the time memos/briefs were due.

Finals time is really stressful. Once you hit November people will start going out less and less often, and again it's totally up to you when you decide to buckle down and focus just on exams. The amount of time people spend studying for exams varies widely. Some people seemingly spend every waking moment in the weeks leading up to exams studying. Some a lot less. I couldn't give a reasoned guess what the average is. I can't tell you how much you will spend, but I assure you that if you don't have time to sleep, you're doing it wrong. 1L is kind of miserable in some ways, but I didn't think it was that bad. Honestly I'm not sure whether it's that much more stressful than the post-OCI job search (if you're not fortunate enough to land a job during OCI).

2L/3L don't matter as much. People generally don't study as much (especially 3L), but you can feel free to knock yourself out. If you don't get a job right away during 2L, you will probably be devoting a lot of time to that. Plus journals can take some time.
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawsRUs

Gold

Post by LawsRUs » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:57 am

thank you hoos !! that was what i was looking for. thx again for answering my questions

if you dont mind me asking, are you a current student or graduate?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

notedgarfigaro

Silver

Post by notedgarfigaro » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:57 pm

(ii) Have you participated in the DC or NYC externship program? Is it competitive to participate in them?
I did the fall DC externship...it's not competitive in the sense that as long as you can articulate a reason you want to be in the program you'll be accepted (I'd assume they wouldn't let someone with really atrocious grades in, but if your grades are that bad, you'd probably be SOL on finding a position anyways). However you do have to find a position, and while they do help you out in terms of contacts, it's pretty much on you to find a position.

20180Labc

New

Post by 20180Labc » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:54 am

I actually have a few questions:

1) What cities are the off-campus interview programs located in?
2) Are the alumni and professors good resources for finding jobs?
3) What do people typically wear to class (guys and girls)?

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:05 pm

20180Labc wrote:I actually have a few questions:

1) What cities are the off-campus interview programs located in?
2) Are the alumni and professors good resources for finding jobs?
3) What do people typically wear to class (guys and girls)?
1. NYC, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Texas, San Francisco. Good luck getting interviews outside the top third. For Chicago/California, probably top 10%.

2. Eh

3. Normal clothes. People dress up for interviews, clinics, meetings, etc. Most people are in jeans or khakis I guess.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:28 pm

1. Don't forget Houston and DC.

2. I actually got a few interviews in DC by contacting alumni at firms. Some professors can be helpful I'm sure, but I haven't had one actually pull strings for me.

3. Don't be suit guy. You will wear a suit for the first day of orientation for the class picture, after that you should just dress like you normally do.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:33 pm

hoos89 wrote:1. Don't forget Houston and DC.

2. I actually got a few interviews in DC by contacting alumni at firms. Some professors can be helpful I'm sure, but I haven't had one actually pull strings for me.

3. Don't be suit guy. You will wear a suit for the first day of orientation for the class picture, after that you should just dress like you normally do.
THERE WAS NO CLASS PICTURE THIS YEAR WEARING A SUIT WAS BS.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:47 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
hoos89 wrote:1. Don't forget Houston and DC.

THERE WAS NO CLASS PICTURE THIS YEAR WEARING A SUIT WAS BS.
You guys didn't have a class picture? Weird.

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:55 pm

Apparently Nancy isn't fond of pictures

And I'm not fond of suiting up in sweltering hear for no reason

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:00 pm

Getting yelled at by photographers for a half hour while sweating your ass off in a suit at orientation is a rite of passage an act of hazing for WUSTL 1Ls.

I am disappointed to hear they didn't do it this year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”