WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Big Red

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Big Red » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:23 pm

Out of curiosity, is there a good chunk of people who go through and decide they don't want to practice law? I'm guessing this is more viable at WUSTL considering the generous $ packages. I'm pretty much just mining for anecdotes

WheatThins

Postby WheatThins » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:34 pm

In Re: transfering. Almost everyone I know in the top third (or close to the top third) who wanted biglaw from the class of 2016 got it. It might not have been their first choice firm, but with enough leg work it was a really good year. Caveat: Our class is way smaller than the 1L class this year. While that probably doesnt matter for those mass mailing, it could make OCI harder.

If you only want to be in Chicago, you should transfer to U-Chi I suppose. But if you only want to be in Chicago, I think you are silly for coming here in the first place.

Those who transferred out probably did just as well as they would have if they stayed. But they also paid $100k more to do so. They might have more options (maybe - who knows) than if they stayed, and maybe their degree will pay off for them way down the line. Who knows. I'd listen to that argument.

A nice thing if you have good grades is our OCI is 100% preselect. Meaning you can compile tons and tons of screeners from firms who actually want to interview you. That's definitely a benefit.

By all means, if you want to do academia or be a federal clerk or do something really unique or competitive- transferring might be the best option. But just doing any old biglaw job; I wouldn't transfer. If you strike out, you can always gun really hard 2L, tack on an MBA, and go through OCI again and probably end up at Kirkland. (Really, like 4 JD-MBAs are going to Kirkland.)

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:22 pm

Even as a 1L I could see the value in transferring if you are like top 10-40% just because our OCI is so weak. So many more interview opportunities.

I agree coming in the first place to WUSTL Chicago or bust is dumb, but if that's still the goal, UChi or Northwestern to a lesser extent are worth at least considering

Same thing for DC and like Penn or UVA (maybe GULC). Even for NYC it just depends on how prestige whore and risk averse you are. I am 0% prestige minded and very risk averse so I wouldn't spend the $ for the the safety of transferring even if I could. But others have other goals and risk tolerances.

Anybody who would qualify for need based aid and has baller grades should apply to H/S obviously

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:39 pm

WheatThins wrote:In Re: transfering. Almost everyone I know in the top third (or close to the top third) who wanted biglaw from the class of 2016 got it. It might not have been their first choice firm, but with enough leg work it was a really good year. Caveat: Our class is way smaller than the 1L class this year. While that probably doesnt matter for those mass mailing, it could make OCI harder.

If you only want to be in Chicago, you should transfer to U-Chi I suppose. But if you only want to be in Chicago, I think you are silly for coming here in the first place.

Those who transferred out probably did just as well as they would have if they stayed. But they also paid $100k more to do so. They might have more options (maybe - who knows) than if they stayed, and maybe their degree will pay off for them way down the line. Who knows. I'd listen to that argument.

A nice thing if you have good grades is our OCI is 100% preselect. Meaning you can compile tons and tons of screeners from firms who actually want to interview you. That's definitely a benefit.

By all means, if you want to do academia or be a federal clerk or do something really unique or competitive- transferring might be the best option. But just doing any old biglaw job; I wouldn't transfer. If you strike out, you can always gun really hard 2L, tack on an MBA, and go through OCI again and probably end up at Kirkland. (Really, like 4 JD-MBAs are going to Kirkland.)

This raises some good points. For the sake of offering opposing points of view I'll offer my opinion, beginning with what I agree with and readers can take away what they will from both perspectives. To preface this, I don't think transferring should ever be the presumption, so I agree with WheatThins here that you shouldn't transfer without serious thought.

I agree that if you want just any old BigLaw job then transferring is a riskier venture if you're in the top third at a school like WashU. But if you have more specific goals then the calculus becomes more complicated. I'll come back to this later.

I agree that the 2L class (class of 2016) had a great year. But the placement power was mostly in NYC (which isn't necessarily bad, but it bears specifying) and the class is significantly smaller than the current 1L class.

I agree that a 100% preselect OCI has some benefits for those in the upper cohort of the class. Even if you get 25-30 screeners from CCN, it's not any indicator of your chances of getting an offer since it's just based on lottery. Whereas if you're preselected out of WashU, your credentials are no longer an issue since you've been pre-screened. It comes down to personality and--perhaps the most important distinction between HYSCCN and T20--whether the firm is willing to make space for you, because rest assured there is no reserved slots in the summer class for WUSTL students. You need to affirmatively convince them to make a spot for you.

Okay now come my thoughts on points that I think deserve greater scrutiny:
1. A 100% preselect OCI is great if you're top 10%. Not so much if you're not. And the market does not expand its interview slots or summer spots in sync with a larger class size. Cleary isn't going to say "okay WUSTL's class is 100 kids larger, we need to have more screener slots to adjust for that." If you're top 10-15% in a class of 180, you're going to be rolling in screeners. In a class of 300? It'll be more spread out and even students with 10% credentials will have fewer screeners.

2. WashU does not have its own OCI platform in any major market. Its interview forums in NYC, Chicago, California are all shared with several other law schools, and the number of preselect slots do not account for this. For example, the Chicago firms for WUSTL's Chicago Day had 20-35 total slots to apportion to all the candidates from several law schools (I think it was 3-5?), which is at least 500-700 students. You can't get an offer from a firm--no matter what grades you have--if you never have a chance to meet them. I had offers from several Chicago firms post-transfer that didn't even want to meet me from WashU. Every major Chicago firm at UChicago had 60-85 interview slots for a class of 190. While getting a screener doesn't mean offer, you get the chance to meet them and advance. Whether that's worth X amount of dollars is a personal decision.

3. I know people in the top third at WUSTL who did not get some form of BigLaw (including Midwestern BigLaw, which is basically MidLaw). I also know people outside of top third that got BigLaw or a well-paying firm job. This is going to vary from year-to-year by nature. Even getting "any 'ol BigLaw" job is not guaranteed. There were 390 firm offices from virtually anything resembling a major market that attended Chicago's OCI for a class of 200-ish. And that's full lottery OCI where every student has 50 bids and end up with 18-28 screeners on average. Even if you totaled up all the firms that were open to WUSTL students through some kind of interviewing forum, it doesn't even break 60, which were predominately midwestern/NYC firms. And it's only really open to the top third-ish of the class. This is all BEFORE reminding you that WUSTL shared 20-25 total interview slots with other law schools for most of the major firms in NYC, DC, and Chicago. All of those firms had anywhere between 42 to 84 slots for UChicago alone.

4. The idea that you can just get an MBA/JD and get a job at Kirkland NYC is misleading. There are a lot of other factors in play, many of which are not under your control.

5. Not all BigLaw is equal. There are very few people who are--from the beginning--satisfied with any 'ol BigLaw job. Most people have at least a geographic preference. Many students--if not at the beginning--grow to have a practice area preference as they take more specific classes and learn more about different specialties and the corresponding exit options. Some people want post-BigLaw exit options that not every firm can reliably provide. Yes because "job is better than no job" many people--including ppl at higher ranked schools--will be happy with an offer if they don't find one that fits their criteria, but it's not their first choice and it's mostly just the result of being grateful in a shitty economy. At WUSTL the vast majority of 2L's accept the only offer they get. Even those with multiple offers they are usually pretty fragmented as far as markets/practice groups so you can't really weigh them against each other. Having multiple comparable offers--whether it's from WUSTL or T14--forces you to start thinking about practice area, geography, and your post-BigLaw trajectory because you need a way to pick one. The problem is that you're more likely to have several comparable offers from a stronger T14 than you will if you do OCI at WUSTL. The best way to approach this--if you're considering transferring--is to apply to transfer, then wait to see what preselect screeners you get from the various WUSTL interview forums. If you get enough satisfactory preselects, then great. If not, you can consider transferring assuming you were admitted to a satisfactory school.

6. I hesitate to raise this point because it might be controversial but i will for the sake of being thorough. A legal career is not one where you're alone in a vacuum and you live and die through your own performance. Who you know and how they perceive you has a huge impact, especially later on as opportunities depend less on your law school grades. I know very few people from WUSTL--even as someone who was probably on the more social end--that are (1) my friends with mutual respect/trust; and (2) people who will probably become valuable professional contacts in the future. I realize that it's speculative to infer someone's entire career trajectory based on their first job, but the nature of our profession is that our trajectories are disproportionately guided by our first job. All of my friends and almost all of my classmates here at CHicago are going to post-grad jobs that offer ample career growth (whether it be BigLaw, BigFed, Clerkships, PI etc..). This isn't the end of the story obviously. Relationships and trajectories evolve as we progress. But just in terms of probability, my peer network from Chicago is more likely to be helpful later on than my peer network would have been from WUSTL. This point is often countered by the argument that if you get BigLaw from WUSTL (or some other comparable job) then your co-workers become your network and it offsets whatever disadvantage you had at the classmate level. Yes this is true if you stay. But it remains true if you transfer. You'll still have your friends from WUSTL and their network, You'll have your own network from your own job, and you'll have your new classmates and their network. No matter how you slice it, your network is larger once you're in an environment where most--if not all--of your immediate peers are placed in good legal jobs.

7. I'm going to anticipate the "it's hard to make new friends" point since it's raised a lot in the context of transferring. Although I personally haven't had any trouble making friends post-transfer, I realize it's a concern. I'm of the belief that you should just suck it up and make new friends since you're going to have to make new friends and colleagues for the rest of your career anyway.

Sorry for the long post. But I realize--based on the number PM's i get about it--that transferring is something that a good number of 1L's are considering. My intent with this post wasn't to say "omg transferring is awesome you should totally do it, fuck the naysayers" Just that there are lot of things to consider when making such a big decision. I have mentors and friends at WUSTL who I admire without limit and believe will have great/successful careers, so I hope this post doesn't come off as me putting the school or its student down in some way.
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:44 pm

WheatThins wrote:In Re: transfering. Almost everyone I know in the top third (or close to the top third) who wanted biglaw from the class of 2016 got it. It might not have been their first choice firm, but with enough leg work it was a really good year. Caveat: Our class is way smaller than the 1L class this year. While that probably doesnt matter for those mass mailing, it could make OCI harder.

I'm not entirely sure if they're going to let 2Ls tack on an MBA any more. The B-School got pretty pissed this year about how much class the JD/MBAs were missing in August, and I heard the idea floated by administration that they wouldn't allow it anymore.

With respect to transferring: I can't verify how well top 1/3 did this year, but c/o 2015 got absolutely slaughtered outside of about top 20-25%. There were people barely outside top 1/3 who got 0 screeners, and people inside top 1/3 who got about 2. Also, pre-select sucks for top 15-20% because, while you will get most of the screeners, you will essentially be starting at the bottom of the pile grades wise. It is inaccurate to assume that just because you got pre-selected (especially if that came through an alternate) that you have "passed" the grade hurdle, or that no decision from there on will be made based on grades. I assure you that the top 5% has a better screener to callback ratio than the top 20%.
Last edited by hoos89 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:45 pm

Iagreetotheseterms

Postby Iagreetotheseterms » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Related to what is being discussed.

Do placements in cities like New York, DC, Chicago and California go only to the top third class, or do they go to people who prefer to live in those places?

I'm strongly considering WUSTL. I have a good scholly, but I don't want to end up in the midwest after school is over.

I think I'll be a top student, but so does everyone else.

Thanks.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:05 am

Iagreetotheseterms wrote:Related to what is being discussed.

Do placements in cities like New York, DC, Chicago and California go only to the top third class, or do they go to people who prefer to live in those places?

I'm strongly considering WUSTL. I have a good scholly, but I don't want to end up in the midwest after school is over.

Thanks.

Probably don't go to WUSTL if you wouldn't be okay with practicing in the Midwest. Also, there is no simple answer to your question. First off: top third is not a great place to be if you want a high paying job anywhere. It's possible, but grades alone won't do it, and I wouldn't feel confident in my chances of getting a job in any of the markets you mentioned outside of the top 10-15% (unless IP, serious ties to a firm, etc.). That said, people well below top third do get jobs in those markets, but they probably have something going for them other than grades. Where you want to live obviously has something to do with it, but I promise you that plenty of people do not get a job in their first choice market. Also, don't assume you will be a top student. Just don't.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:16 pm

hoos89 wrote:With respect to transferring: I can't verify how well top 1/3 did this year, but c/o 2015 got absolutely slaughtered outside of about top 20-25%. There were people barely outside top 1/3 who got 0 screeners, and people inside top 1/3 who got about 2. Also, pre-select sucks for top 15-20% because, while you will get most of the screeners, you will essentially be starting at the bottom of the pile grades wise. It is inaccurate to assume that just because you got pre-selected (especially if that came through an alternate) that you have "passed" the grade hurdle, or that no decision from there on will be made based on grades. I assure you that the top 5% has a better screener to callback ratio than the top 20%.

This was pretty much the exact same thing for c/o 2014- absent other pluses (IP, connections, significantly work history, etc.), outside the top third was a barren wasteland, top third didn't guarantee screeners, top 15% and below struggled to get callbacks, and top 10% wasn't secure by any means. A lot of good people slipped through the cracks, and while almost everyone landed on their feet, it was (still is for some) a struggle.

Hoos also brought up another huge point- some firms are going to select people for screeners that have less than zero shot at getting a callback just to fill their quota. I had zero ties to STL other than working there 1L year, and yet I got 4 STL firm screeners for EIW. I actually got back from my first one and the rejection letter was waiting for me. Two other screeners were for Texas, again, zero ties, and another screener I was the only non-law review person on the list. So while I slightly outperformed my grades in terms of # of screeners, in reality I only had a callback shot in 2 (which not coincidentally, I had ties).

But hey, apparently everyone in the top third c/o 2016 that wanted big law got it, so maybe things have changed. Bottom line, if you're top third and can transfer out, I would recommend at least considering it (obviously the decision depends on grades and scholarship costs). And if you're not mass mailing NYC and your home market, you're an idiot.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:25 pm

regulartime

Postby regulartime » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:27 pm

Any truth to SLU being even with or better than Wash U for someone who is set on staying in the STL area?

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:30 pm

regulartime

Postby regulartime » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:39 pm

sublime wrote:
regulartime wrote:Any truth to SLU being even with or better than Wash U for someone who is set on staying in the STL area?

Yea, but depending on how much you care about going to a bigger firm, also risky.

Part of SLU doing better here is likely explained by more of their student body (presumably) being from the area. I don't know how many of those benefits would confer to an outsider who chose to go to slu.

That's kind of what I've heard. It's making my decision between the two tough. SLU would be considerably cheaper, but I'd rather go to Wash U. With having to stay in STL, not sure the benefits of Wash U are worth the extra cost.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:05 pm

I don't think SLU is better than Wash U for someone from STL. Also, you will have access to better firms with a lower GPA at Wash U than you would at SLU.

Is there "some truth" to SLU being better than Wash U in STL? Yes, if you just count positions filled, but that's not a great metric for placement power. From what I've seen, a person with strong STL ties can competitive for STL big law all the way down to top 1/3. From SLU, you're almost certainly out of the big law game outside top 10%.

Finances obviously play a huge role though.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:08 pm

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:20 pm

hoos89 wrote:
Iagreetotheseterms wrote:Related to what is being discussed.

Thanks.

Probably don't go to WUSTL if you wouldn't be okay with practicing in the Midwest. Also, there is no simple answer to your question. First off: top third is not a great place to be if you want a high paying job anywhere. It's possible, but grades alone won't do it, and I wouldn't feel confident in my chances of getting a job in any of the markets you mentioned outside of the top 10-15% (unless IP, serious ties to a firm, etc.). That said, people well below top third do get jobs in those markets, but they probably have something going for them other than grades. Where you want to live obviously has something to do with it, but I promise you that plenty of people do not get a job in their first choice market. Also, don't assume you will be a top student. Just don't.

Eh, I don't agree with this, and a lot of people probably call me pessimistic. At WUSTL, people don't have problems going back to their home markets. California, Florida, Texas, NYC people who went back to their home markets generally got something. It might have been shitlaw or volunteering for government (if you were below top 25% or so), but it was something. Some from smaller markets were able to obtain midlaw if they were close to top third. Except for maybe Chicago--Chicago was particularly a shitshow for my class. If you were smart enough to grind for jobs in your home market (or being open to smaller markets where a WUSTL degree is indeed prestigious) instead of going all in on NYC/Chicago, you generally didn't end up unemployed.

The only market out there that is really open to people without ties to the point where it's not a crapshoot at getting a job there is NYC. Your best bets, in order of succession from best to worst are:

1) your home market
2) NYC (if you have the grades)
3) your school's home market, and
4) some place you don't have ties.

I think this pattern holds true at basically schools of every rank.

WUSTL doesn't struggle with #1, and if you make top 10%, you should be good for #2. It's not good for #3, unless #1 already applies. And it's not good at #4 (but very few schools are...perhaps only HYSCCN). If you're in the top 10%, your job search strategy should focus on 1 and 2. If you're between top third and top ten percent, your should just give up on NYC and focus like a laser on biglaw/midlaw in your home market. If you're below top third, you better network like a mofo every chance you get, try to get practical experience during years 2 and 3, and be prepared to work in horrible conditions for a year or two, sign up for Medicaid, volunteer, do anything and everything to stand out in various non-grade-related ways. Because even shitlaw jobs that are real attorney jobs have stacks of ~300 or so resumes of people applying for $40K/year jobs.

And with regard to Chicago, no school is safe. UChi students on here will all tell you that bidding Chicago only at OCI is a risky strategy. Your best bet is to mix in NYC at least.

regulartime

Postby regulartime » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:31 pm

sublime wrote:Yea, I agree with Romo, basically. He fleshed it out more, but that is more what I meant by "risky." I couldn't tell if you are from StL or coming here, but if you are from here I agree 100% that WashU is better.

I don't know if I'm considered from St. Louis as insular as it is. I've lived in the area since 2009 and have put down roots, but didn't go to high school here.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:36 pm

JCougar wrote:

Eh, I don't agree with this, and a lot of people probably call me pessimistic. At WUSTL, people don't have problems going back to their home markets. California, Florida, Texas, NYC people who went back to their home markets generally got something. It might have been shitlaw or volunteering for government (if you were below top 25% or so), but it was something. Some from smaller markets were able to obtain midlaw if they were close to top third. Except for maybe Chicago--Chicago was particularly a shitshow for my class. If you were smart enough to grind for jobs in your home market (or being open to smaller markets where a WUSTL degree is indeed prestigious) instead of going all in on NYC/Chicago, you generally didn't end up unemployed.

... If you're in the top 10%, your job search strategy should focus on 1 and 2. If you're between top third and top ten percent, your should just give up on NYC and focus like a laser on biglaw/midlaw in your home market. ...

I intended to qualify what I was saying with "high paying jobs," and I guess I didn't make that clear so my bad. Also, I disagree that you should give up on NYC outside of top 10%. It's still worth a shot, and people do get offers outside of top 10%/law review. Obviously don't rely on it, but I think leaving off the NYC interview program and mass-mailing NYC could be a serious mistake for a lot of people in the top 20-25% or so. Even outside that, it could still be worth the effort, I think. Especially if IP or something.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:40 pm

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:41 pm

sublime wrote:I wouldn't give up on NYC if you aren't top 10 percent. I wasn't and I am going there, it seems like the majority of people going there are top 10%, but there are a number of people going that aren't.

ETA: Scooped - basically what Hoos said.

You just found a firm with the same hippie values you have. Hippie.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:42 pm

regulartime wrote:
sublime wrote:Yea, I agree with Romo, basically. He fleshed it out more, but that is more what I meant by "risky." I couldn't tell if you are from StL or coming here, but if you are from here I agree 100% that WashU is better.

I don't know if I'm considered from St. Louis as insular as it is. I've lived in the area since 2009 and have put down roots, but didn't go to high school here.

That's probably sufficient, though obviously it would help if you graduated from John Burroughs and your daddy plays golf with the managing partner and your uncle coached the interviewer's kid in basketball, because lol STL, but yeah.

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:43 pm

sublime

Postby sublime » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:44 pm

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:48 pm

sublime wrote:Yea, you are way ahead of most wrt the ties, especially if you have a house or a serious SO here.

Yeah, I think outside of going to high school in STL, owning a house might be the only thing sufficient to meet your burden of persuasion that you're not "too good" for STL and therefore a flight risk.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:53 pm

Also, I see little reason to go to SLU over WUSTL unless it's close to a full ride at SLU versus sticker at WUSTL.

People around STL really fawn over WUSTL...they treat it like it's Harvard. The reason why STL firms don't hire WUSTL students is because they think you're a flight risk to move to cooler cities after you get 1-2 years of experience (because you can)...not because it's not prestigious enough.

I know SLU people that lived in STL all their lives and basically have given up on being a lawyer at this point. SLU is a huge TTT. You're still not going to get Biglaw from WUSTL if you're from STL but below the top third, but there's a bunch of shitlaw firms in this city that will hire you without even asking for your transcript. The same can't be said of SLU. SLU is not a good bet even for being a lawyer at all.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”