WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hoos89

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:41 am

LET'S GET IT wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Osgood and La Pierre allowed laptops.

Both standard issue spotter, open book exams?

Neither was a standard issue spotter. Osgood's was a mix of that and policy stuff, and La Pierre's was just weird. Like compare/contrast this case with one we read plus some policy stuff. Totally unlike any of the practice tests, and he might just give a more standard one this semester, who knows. Dude is off his rocker.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:35 pm

Does anyone remember when the grade cutoffs came out last fall and when the grade distributions are uploaded?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:39 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Does anyone remember when the grade cutoffs came out last fall and when the grade distributions are uploaded?

Probably not going to come out for another couple of weeks.

disco_stu

Postby disco_stu » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:56 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:Does anyone remember when the grade cutoffs came out last fall and when the grade distributions are uploaded?

Last year, grades posted by 1/22, 2L and 3L cut offs by 1/27. Don't know about grade distributions.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:05 pm

Ok thanks, I will survive I guess.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:05 pm

Hello :)!!

I've been diligently reading this thread since I was admitted last month. I've read pp. 1-100 so far!! Will get to the rest later. This thread and everyone on it have been really helpful.

A question for current students: Among other things, I've'en comparing OCI lists from other schools. Some schools let admitted students look at them, but WUSTL's seems to be private. Particularly, I'm curious to see if there is a good number of govt agencies or PI orgs that regularly attend them that aren't just resume collects.

Many thanks !!

Iagreetotheseterms

Postby Iagreetotheseterms » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:38 pm

Hi, this is a huge thread, so sorry if this question has been asked before.

Can I "survive" without a car? At least for the first year. I just don't like cars and I plan on selling the one I own to help with moving and living expenses.

Thank you!!!

njdevils2626

Postby njdevils2626 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:04 am

Iagreetotheseterms wrote:Hi, this is a huge thread, so sorry if this question has been asked before.

Can I "survive" without a car? At least for the first year. I just don't like cars and I plan on selling the one I own to help with moving and living expenses.

Thank you!!!

Depends on where you live and what you're used to. I live within a 5 minute walk of a metro station so getting to and from school is super convenient without a car. That said, I'm a little far from grocery stores (and Costco especially is mega far away) so thank god my roommate has a car. If you live in the CWE, you'll likely be a bit further walk to the metro, but will probably be somewhere near a grocery store. I do miss the convenience of having a car, though

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:29 am

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:30 am

Iagreetotheseterms wrote:Hi, this is a huge thread, so sorry if this question has been asked before.

Thank you!!!

It's doable and plenty of law students do fine without one. I'm sure it sucks at times, but you can survive. STL doesn't have great public transit compared to like a NyC or DC, so like njdevils said, you will probably want to live near a metro station if you go that route. The law school also has a program where you can rent a car by the hour. Don't know much about it, but maybe worth looking in to.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:31 am

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 am

Yea I just got the carshare card thing.

I bitch about not having a car here all the time and it's annoying here relative to DC/NYC where trains are all you need to get around, but metro here is free for us at least, so that plus not having to pay for gas/car/insurance is pretty bueno.

The biggest thing for me has been groceries and I still manage alright.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:56 am

Hellooooo :))

another question that i hv is in re LLM in tax

is anyone or know of anyone who is doing joint JD / LLM in tax?? doing both in 6 semesters with 1/2 tuition for llm sounds very sexy?

your thoughts?

georgej

Postby georgej » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:39 am

LawsRUs wrote:Hellooooo :))

another question that i hv is in re LLM in tax

is anyone or know of anyone who is doing joint JD / LLM in tax?? doing both in 6 semesters with 1/2 tuition for llm sounds very sexy?

your thoughts?

I haven't been through oci yet, so I don't know how much pi stuff is available. I think oci generally (at almost all schools) is more focused on firms though. I could be wrong, but that's just my impression.

For the LLM in tax, this is what I've seen:

Again, I have no personal knowledge about wustl's specific LLM in Tax program, so take this chart with a grain of salt.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:57 am

No, I'd follow that chart

w00kash

Postby w00kash » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:09 am

Long time lurker, pretty stoked to get accepted with decent $ for this year's cycle and thank you to everyone for answering questions! I've never been to STL so I was just wondering about the estimated 22k Wash U lists for COL on their website. Is that a pretty realistic number or do a lot of students spend less than that? I thought STL was a pretty affordable location.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:16 am

w00kash wrote:Long time lurker, pretty stoked to get accepted with decent $ for this year's cycle and thank you to everyone for answering questions! I've never been to STL so I was just wondering about the estimated 22k Wash U lists for COL on their website. Is that a pretty realistic number or do a lot of students spend less than that? I thought STL was a pretty affordable location.

You can get by on less than that, and probably substantially less than that. The 22k COL estimate is reflected in the cap on loans for COL, and the school estimates a bit high to give students some breathing room depending on how they want to live during law school.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:40 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
w00kash wrote:Long time lurker, pretty stoked to get accepted with decent $ for this year's cycle and thank you to everyone for answering questions! I've never been to STL so I was just wondering about the estimated 22k Wash U lists for COL on their website. Is that a pretty realistic number or do a lot of students spend less than that? I thought STL was a pretty affordable location.

You can get by on less than that, and probably substantially less than that. The 22k COL estimate is reflected in the cap on loans for COL, and the school estimates a bit high to give students some breathing room depending on how they want to live during law school.

Credited. Frankly you'd either have to have a really expensive apartment, or just be incredibly irresponsible with money to spend this imo. Like Markin said, they purposely estimate everything on the high side, but 15-17K is very doable I think.

Fiero85

Postby Fiero85 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:32 pm

Yeah even with spending about 9k/yr on my apartment and parking (one could easily do better than this), and car expenses, eating out a ridiculous amount, and general irresponsibility, I still had a little under 16k in living expenses last calendar year.

22k would be deliberate ballin' in my experience

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:35 pm

Hello thanks so much for your replies.

Sorry one more question--
Can I ask if you came to WUSTL intending to go back to your home markets or places with ties, or to try to break into St. Louis?
Last edited by LawsRUs on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:49 pm

And, can I ask what other "peer schools" were you entertaining before you decided on WUSTL?

Thanks !! :wink:

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:56 pm

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but what is generally the cutoff for OCI?

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:27 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Hello thanks so much for your replies.

Can I ask if you came to WUSTL intending to go back to your home markets or places with ties, or to try to break into St. Louis?

If you go to WUSTL with the intent to break into STL without ties, you're gonna have a bad time.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:43 pm

LawsRUs wrote:Hello thanks so much for your replies.

Most people I know fall into one of two categories. 1. People that want to get back to their home market, or 2. People who would like to get to Chicago,NYC,DC (mostly Chicago in my experience). There are a few hoping to break in to STL or KC, but not as many as you would think. Like Hoos alluded too, the consensus is that breaking in is tough.

LawsRUs

Postby LawsRUs » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:14 pm

Thank you both for your replies, soo helpful.

You are right: Your commentary made me research it with more scrutiny: Comparing these two web pages seems to suggest that some CA/Illinois/NY/Texas ppl tend to go back where they came from. (meh!!! and perhaps WUSTL accepts kids from these states such that they can advertise their "national placement" or something, who the heck knows..) http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/pa ... x?id=10045 vs. http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/documen ... rofile.pdf

umm, a follow-up question that I have for you is that my family is thinking of moving out of state to find some place more affordable. And I happened to mention earlier that day about this thing about "ties" wrt WUSTL, and they're happy to help my marketability to St. Louis firms if it means moving there. They are retired and have been thinking about moving out of state for several years now. In fact, they're excited about the possibility of moving to St. Louis due to its low CoL.

So my question is, do St. Louis firms look closely if your ties had been present before you came to WUSTL, or can ties be established during your time at WUSTL? (Does that make sense?) :wink:

Thanks, as always.

edit: I have absolutely no preference where I want to work. It just has to be a mid- to large- city.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”