WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
hoos89

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby hoos89 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:33 am

valen wrote:I saw back in the 5x pages some discussion about whether wustl with $$ or t14 at sticker was a better option. Those posts were back from early 2012 and I feel like wustl has gained a little more recognition since then. Would any 3Ls be willing to discuss current Midwest job prospects? Big law and otherwise. Does wustl with $$-$$$ make sense over a t14 with nothing?

If this has been discussed in other more recent pages just let me know. Thanks!

The decision really requires exact numbers and more information about you and your goals. If you're from St. Louis and want to practice here, then WUSTL with a significant scholarship is probably a pretty good idea. If you're not from St. Louis, then it's a lot tougher to get a solid job. Also, don't apply ED to WUSTL. Sticker is a tough burden to take on, but even the lower T14 has about double the firm placement of WUSTL.

valen

Postby valen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:47 am

hoos89 wrote:
valen wrote:I saw back in the 5x pages some discussion about whether wustl with $$ or t14 at sticker was a better option. Those posts were back from early 2012 and I feel like wustl has gained a little more recognition since then. Would any 3Ls be willing to discuss current Midwest job prospects? Big law and otherwise. Does wustl with $$-$$$ make sense over a t14 with nothing?

The decision really requires exact numbers and more information about you and your goals. If you're from St. Louis and want to practice here, then WUSTL with a significant scholarship is probably a pretty good idea. If you're not from St. Louis, then it's a lot tougher to get a solid job. Also, don't apply ED to WUSTL. Sticker is a tough burden to take on, but even the lower T14 has about double the firm placement of WUSTL.

I'm at 3.1/171, two years WE, and a masters in business

I think the only t14 schools I have a shot at are northwestern and Georgetown, maybe michigan if someone is feeling extra nice. I don't think if get any aid from these schools so I'd be entirely debt funding, which is a terrifying thought.

Would prefer to work in Minnesota after graduation, but would consider either coast as well.

Jay2716

Postby Jay2716 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:01 am

valen wrote:
hoos89 wrote:

I think the only t14 schools I have a shot at are northwestern and Georgetown, maybe michigan if someone is feeling extra nice. I don't think if get any aid from these schools so I'd be entirely debt funding, which is a terrifying thought.

Would prefer to work in Minnesota after graduation, but would consider either coast as well.

Apply to Virginia too. You have a good shot there with your numbers. I would apply to WUSTL, but they would have to give you a ton more than UMN to make it worth it if you want Minneapolis.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:52 am

valen wrote:
hoos89 wrote:

You might have a decent shot ED at Virginia.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:08 pm

valen wrote:
hoos89 wrote:

Why would you go to WUSTL over Minnesota if you want to stay there?

valen

Postby valen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Thanks all for the responses, I didn't think UVA was even worth looking at with my GPA but I'll definitely give it a shot! That was my original dream school until GPA reality hit.

As for UMN, I am also applying there. I would like to get out of Minnesota for law school if it makes sense though. I've spent my whole life here, would like to branch out a bit. Also I think UMN is limiting if you ever wanted to work outside of Minnesota.

georgej

Postby georgej » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks everyone for the grades info.

notedgarfigaro

Postby notedgarfigaro » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:37 pm

valen wrote:Thanks all for the responses, I didn't think UVA was even worth looking at with my GPA but I'll definitely give it a shot! That was my original dream school until GPA reality hit.

As for UMN, I am also applying there. I would like to get out of Minnesota for law school if it makes sense though. I've spent my whole life here, would like to branch out a bit. Also I think UMN is limiting if you ever wanted to work outside of Minnesota.

speaking as someone that thought the same thing, just a different state...it'd be better to stay in Minnesota if the total cost of attending is close. WUSTL won't give you any noticeable bump in degree mobility, and Minnesota employers will wonder why you went to WUSTL instead of Minn (I got that question multiple times). Plus you'll actually be IN Minnesota, so opportunities will be much more available.

I enjoyed WUSTL, don't regret going...but if I'd gone to my in-state option and gotten similar grades, I would have had a similar shot to NY/DC big law (marginal) but would have had a much, much better shot getting a job in state both b/c employers wouldn't have cause to doubt my intentions and the ability to meet potential employers and intern during the year.

valen

Postby valen » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:10 pm

You guys have convinced me not to apply ED to WUSTL (though they still will be a top choice of mine), thanks for all the advice.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:30 am

Did the 2Ls/3Ls just get that email too? Whatever random group of students looks like they got ahold of some part of the listserve. I'm hoping someone crafts an epic response.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:58 am

scottidsntknow wrote:Did the 2Ls/3Ls just get that email too? Whatever random group of students looks like they got ahold of some part of the listserve. I'm hoping someone crafts an epic response.

2l here - I got it. Also curious how they got the list. Can you reply all to the university listserve? That seems like a pretty big hole for spam if you can.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:03 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Did the 2Ls/3Ls just get that email too? Whatever random group of students looks like they got ahold of some part of the listserve. I'm hoping someone crafts an epic response.

2l here - I got it. Also curious how they got the list. Can you reply all to the university listserve? That seems like a pretty big hole for spam if you can.

I think no b/c i hit reply all to see and it was like a little over 200 emails.

I like berated one of the girls putting those papers over all of the tables today:
A). Total waste of paper and it's just going to be thrown away/plus putting the burden on maintenance to clean it up.
B). Ironic to ask for open dialogue without explaining who wrote this or talking to anyone about this when handing these papers out. Like I was sitting at a table in the afternoon by myself doing work and girl walks by and says nothing and places it on the table. So much for dialogue.

She did not defend herself which was satisfying but I would have also appreciated the opportunity for DISCOURSE. This is all BS and I hope they get in trouble for emailing us tbh.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:09 am

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:06 pm

^i was tired and annoyed plz ignore my post <3

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:07 pm

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Yeah I didn't see a problem with it. We get ten useless e-mails a day. And frankly, I agree with their main point. When I read the line about having every reason to trust the process, I kind of got the sense she doesn't really know what it's like in the real world. If you are a black man in this country, why would you trust a process that has failed you time and time again.

Btw the tar is pretty great, scott.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:24 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Yeah I didn't see a problem with it. We get ten useless e-mails a day. And frankly, I agree with their main point. When I read the line about having every reason to trust the process, I kind of got the sense she doesn't really know what it's like in the real world. If you are a black man in this country, why would you trust a process that has failed you time and time again.

Gracias good sir.

And my problem with the email is just think if other groups started getting access to a listserve, that'd be no bueno.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:26 pm

scottidsntknow wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:Yeah I didn't see a problem with it. We get ten useless e-mails a day. And frankly, I agree with their main point. When I read the line about having every reason to trust the process, I kind of got the sense she doesn't really know what it's like in the real world. If you are a black man in this country, why would you trust a process that has failed you time and time again.

Gracias good sir.

And my problem with the email is just think if other groups started getting access to a listserve, that'd be no bueno.

Yeah that would suck. Lol. I stay behind on reading my e-mail as it is.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:27 pm

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:30 pm

FINE NO MORE BAR REVIEW EMAILS FOR YOU

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:31 pm

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:55 pm

sublime wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:FINE NO MORE BAR REVIEW EMAILS FOR YOU

It isn't like I go anyway.

Those would probably be the only emails I would opt in to tho.

NO MORE HAPPY HOURS FOR YOU. HAHA GOTCHYA.

bl1nds1ght

Re: WUSTL 2L Taking Questions

Postby bl1nds1ght » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:20 pm

mountaintime wrote:
romothesavior wrote:we need to become a Midwestern powerhouse before we are a national school.

Totally agree. WUSTL needs to assert itself as the dominant school in the midwest (not including the Chicago schools, of course). This seems like a much more attainable short term goal than getting big placement on the coasts.

This was back from the 5x pages, but have there been any developments here in the last few years since these concerns were brought up in 2012?

Has outreach to the local markets in Chicago, StL, KC, etc. gotten any better?

Just very curious about the potential growth of this school.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:28 pm

bl1nds1ght wrote:
mountaintime wrote:
romothesavior wrote:we need to become a Midwestern powerhouse before we are a national school.

Totally agree. WUSTL needs to assert itself as the dominant school in the midwest (not including the Chicago schools, of course). This seems like a much more attainable short term goal than getting big placement on the coasts.

This was back from the 5x pages, but have there been any developments here in the last few years since these concerns were brought up in 2012?

Apparently we got killed in STL this year fwiw so idk if we're making any advances there.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:22 pm

bl1nds1ght wrote:This was back from the 5x pages, but have there been any developments here in the last few years since these concerns were brought up in 2012?

If you add up all the SA positions in STL and KC BigLaw (and i'm defining "BigLaw" very liberally since STL/KC), it's less than JUST the bigger 3-5 firms in Chicago (e.g. K&E, Sidley, Mayer, Jenner, Winston...) If you add up all the SA positions in Chicago BigLaw, it's still less than NYC V5 (All of them take around 100 EACH minus Wachtell which takes like 25)

It's hard for WUSTL--or any school really--to make gains in the secondary markets. Way fewer firms hiring way fewer people. Even if WUSTL doubled it's placement in STL BigLaw, it would only place like 10-14 students there since the SA classes in STL are less than ten ppl. Or Chicago, there's maybe 1-2 spots in each SA class available for a WUSTL student after the firm sets aside slots for UChicago/NU, T14, UIUC, and local Chicago schools with successful boomer alums (e.g. Kent..Loyola..)

Until hiring picks up in these markets, placement will not pick up no matter how much lobbying the CSO does.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”