WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Randomnumbers

Re: WUSTL Recent Grad (and others) Taking Questions

Postby Randomnumbers » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:47 am

The judicial internship may not be a 'clinic' but it's treated as a clinic by the school with how it is managed. You apply for it through the clinic application process, and it is treated as a clinic for purposes of clinic registrations for other clinics, etc.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:40 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:The judicial internship may not be a 'clinic' but it's treated as a clinic by the school with how it is managed. You apply for it through the clinic application process, and it is treated as a clinic for purposes of clinic registrations for other clinics, etc.

got it. I was suspecting he gpa cutoff difference is because it "may not be a 'clinic.'"

flora77

Postby flora77 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:44 am

Hi everyone !

I have been admitted to some US law schools for an LL.M program. I have been admitted, so far, for the WUSTL, USD, GWU and Fordham LLM programs. At the moment, I really prefer the WUSTL llm program, but I would like to know if anyone has some advice to give me about a choice between those schools? Indeed, my goal is to transfer to the JD program after my LLM degree and I know that WUSTL has a flexible policy about it. Furthermore, I am interested in health law and I know that WUSTL students can take a course at Saint Louis University (which is recognized in medical law according to the US new rankings)

Thank you all :)

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:43 pm

flora77 wrote:Hi everyone !

I have been admitted to some US law schools for an LL.M program. I have been admitted, so far, for the WUSTL, USD, GWU and Fordham LLM programs. At the moment, I really prefer the WUSTL llm program, but I would like to know if anyone has some advice to give me about a choice between those schools? Indeed, my goal is to transfer to the JD program after my LLM degree and I know that WUSTL has a flexible policy about it. Furthermore, I am interested in health law and I know that WUSTL students can take a course at Saint Louis University (which is recognized in medical law according to the US new rankings)

Do you want to stay in the US after you graduate? If so, have you thought of taking the LSAT and applying straight to the JD?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:44 pm

flora77 wrote:Hi everyone !

deja vu. near identical discussion some pages back yeah?

georgej

Postby georgej » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:41 pm

Hey how do grades work? I'm looking at the registrar's chart and it says, for example a B+ is a GPA range of 3.52 - 3.34. What does this mean for when you get a grade? do they give you a B+ or, say, a 3.41 or whatever?

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:46 pm

georgej wrote:Hey how do grades work? I'm looking at the registrar's chart and it says, for example a B+ is a GPA range of 3.52 - 3.34. What does this mean for when you get a grade? do they give you a B+ or, say, a 3.41 or whatever?

You get both. You will get a number grade, and the corresponding letter grade. For example, on the final if you get a 3.52, you will get a B+ on your transcript along with the number. A person who gets a 3.34 will also get a B+ on his/her transcript along with the number, but will be lower ranked for ranking purposes.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:03 pm

Birdnals wrote:
georgej wrote:Hey how do grades work? I'm looking at the registrar's chart and it says, for example a B+ is a GPA range of 3.52 - 3.34. What does this mean for when you get a grade? do they give you a B+ or, say, a 3.41 or whatever?

You get both. You will get a number grade, and the corresponding letter grade. For example, on the final if you get a 3.52, you will get a B+ on your transcript along with the number. A person who gets a 3.34 will also get a B+ on his/her transcript along with the number, but will be lower ranked for ranking purposes.

Yeah I looked at the info on the registrar's website also but am still confused. Is median the same for every class? What is median? Am I right that thinking a B would be below median and B- would be a pretty terrible grade?

God I feel dumb.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:10 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:
Birdnals wrote:

Yeah I looked at the info on the registrar's website also but am still confused. Is median the same for every class? What is median? Am I right that thinking a B would be below median and B- would be a pretty terrible grade?

God I feel dumb.

Median is he same for every 1L class (there is a range professors have to keep it in, how they do so it up to them though. For examples check how your professor distributed grades last few years).

For upper level classes, median is set at median grade for people taking the class.
Last edited by Birdnals on Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:11 pm

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:55 pm

A few professors are dicks about it and pick lower than the max mean. For instance, La Pierre always picks the minimum for some reason.

Also, the old system was way easier to understand. You used to just get a number from 70-100 with no corresponding letter grade. I'm pretty sure the faculty intentionally made the new grading system confusing so employers would (in theory) think people are higher ranked than they really are.

regulartime

Postby regulartime » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:06 pm

What does a general 1L schedule look like. I know the classes, I'm talking about the hours you are in class. Is it all day every day? What times do classes typically start and end? Just trying to get an idea so I can start planning. I'm sure it varies some.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:57 pm

regulartime wrote:What does a general 1L schedule look like. I know the classes, I'm talking about the hours you are in class. Is it all day every day? What times do classes typically start and end? Just trying to get an idea so I can start planning. I'm sure it varies some.

Here's last year's (I think) 1L course grid: http://law.wustl.edu/registrar/coursedi ... 1Lgrid.pdf. Each class has a letter next to it that corresponds with the section(s) in the class. So for instance, section A has Torts with Goldwasser from 1-2 Monday through Thursday.

You will have 3 doctrinal courses each semester during 1L that will meet 3 times a week for 80 minutes or 4 times a week for an hour. You will also have Legal Practice (writing) twice a week and Legal Research once a week for an hour.

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:38 pm

hoos89 wrote:
regulartime wrote:What does a general 1L schedule look like. I know the classes, I'm talking about the hours you are in class. Is it all day every day? What times do classes typically start and end? Just trying to get an idea so I can start planning. I'm sure it varies some.

Here's last year's (I think) 1L course grid: http://law.wustl.edu/registrar/coursedi ... 1Lgrid.pdf. Each class has a letter next to it that corresponds with the section(s) in the class. So for instance, section A has Torts with Goldwasser from 1-2 Monday through Thursday.

You will have 3 doctrinal courses each semester during 1L that will meet 3 times a week for 80 minutes or 4 times a week for an hour. You will also have Legal Practice (writing) twice a week and Legal Research once a week for an hour.

Also, legal practice legal research don't last the whole semester and are cancelled fairly often. As far as actual in class time, it's basically the same as undergrad if you were taking 15 hours.

The grid is somewhat misleading since legal practice and legal research are not listed on there.

I'll give you my approximate schedule so you can get a better idea.
M: class from 9-10:20 and 1-2
Tu: 9-10:20, 1-2, and 3-4 (although the 3-4 class is basically over now)
W: 10:40-12 and 1-2
Th: 9-10:20, 10:40-12, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 (again, the last two are over for the semester)
F: 10:40-12

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:40 pm

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:43 pm

sublime wrote:For 1L it is how spread out the classes are that kills you, imo.

I would have to respectfully disagree. I like the gap because if you get in a pinch on your class prep, all you really have to do is be prepared for your morning class the day before and you can use the gap to get ready for afternoon class or get reading for the next day done. I don't know how many people do this, but this is what I do.

But then I'm a fairly bad procrastinator.
Last edited by LET'S GET IT on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:44 pm

Yeah but you can get a decent chunk of your reading done during the gaps, which is nice.

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:45 pm

LET'S GET IT

Postby LET'S GET IT » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:47 pm

sublime wrote:
LET'S GET IT wrote:

I would have to respectfully disagree. I like the gap because if you get in a pinch on your class prep, all you really have to do is be prepared for your morning class the day before and you can use the gap to get ready for afternoon class. I don't know how many people do this, but I do from time to time.

Fair. Although I am the type of person that prefers to be at home as much as possible, and would prefer solid blocks of classes.

Like almost everything else in LS, there certainly isn't one correct opinion or way to do it.

Yeah I have a tendency not to get as much done as home so I try to stay at school until I am mostly done.

regulartime

Postby regulartime » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks guys.

valen

Postby valen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:24 am

I saw back in the 5x pages some discussion about whether wustl with $$ or t14 at sticker was a better option. Those posts were back from early 2012 and I feel like wustl has gained a little more recognition since then. Would any 3Ls be willing to discuss current Midwest job prospects? Big law and otherwise. Does wustl with $$-$$$ make sense over a t14 with nothing?

If this has been discussed in other more recent pages just let me know. Thanks!

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:28 am

valen

Postby valen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:42 am

sublime wrote:
valen wrote:I saw back in the 5x pages some discussion about whether wustl with $$ or t14 at sticker was a better option. Those posts were back from early 2012 and I feel like wustl has gained a little more recognition since then. Would any 3Ls be willing to discuss current Midwest job prospects? Big law and otherwise. Does wustl with $$-$$$ make sense over a t14 with nothing?

If this has been discussed in other more recent pages just let me know. Thanks!

It is a tough decision. Especially when WUSTL with a full v. a t14 at sticker. I know ppl who went both ways. It really just depends on your career goals and how risk averse you are. I am happy with my decision to come here. I would be happy to answer more questions in less the abstract. WHat do you want to do? Where do you want to work? WHat are your offers?

I haven't submitted apps quite yet (will be doing so this weekend). With my numbers I have a good chance of getting good money from wustl and am strongly considering applying ED. I also pretty good chances at northwestern and Georgetown, but probably not with money.

I'm shooting for biglaw but would also consider other options (I feel like I can't be picky). I've got minnesota ties and would prefer to work in the minneapolis market but would also be open to east and west coast markets. I don't know if I would want to stay in St. Louis, seems like you absolutely need to have ties to be successful.

Wustl is extremely appealing because I am very averse to taking out significant loans, but the discussion back on the 5x pages about difficulty finding a job and low school recognition makes me nervous.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:51 am

valen

Postby valen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:04 am

PM'd

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”